Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WAVE/CHARGE vs SPIRIT

Offline Jetsrb32

WAVE/CHARGE vs SPIRIT
on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:06 AM
Which do you prefer? Why?

For those of you who own both, when do you reach for one over the other?

:climber: :

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: WAVE/CHARGE vs SPIRIT
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:47:00 AM
I know this sounds like a cop out, but it really depends on which Charge, which Spirit and what I'm going to be doing.  More often than not I tend to go with a Spirit X, but I am perfectly happy with a Charge AL, Ti or SLV as well.  I haven't carried a Wave in a long time, but that's really not because I have anything against it, I simply prefer the others.

Basically, I don't think you can go wrong with any Charge, Wave or Spirit model.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:12 AM
Def is right. I strongly prefer the wave for one handed blades and a pocket clip but either will do. I also like the diamond file on the wave.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:45 AM
I prefer my LM Wave over my Vic Spirit simply because my model has the butter knife blade.  I like them both but would pick the Wave if I could only use one.  I like the bit kit and extension as well for the Wave. 
When In doubt, C4

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:50 AM
I prefer Charge/Wave:

1. OHO blades
2. Better file (more versatile)
3. Pocket clip
4. Exchangeable bits on board
5. Guthook (on Charge ALX)
6. Textured handles for better slippery grip

However, for the Spirit, I like the chisel blade, combo thing.  I wish Leatherman would add one. Also, the Spirit has the bottle opener that works very well for light prying--again something lacking on the Leatherman.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:15 AM
They each have features lacking in the other.  There's no correct answer as to which is the best.  The best tool is the one more suited to its particular tasks  :tu:
SAW

england Offline Hull_ n_Back

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 02:16:19 PM
The lack of tools on the outside was the deal breaker for me regarding the Wave. The OH blades were great but not what I use most of the time

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:22:23 PM
I own both a Wave and a Spirit , and have carried charges in the past . For work I prefer the Spirit - better implement load out . For bumming around off duty , I often reach for the Wave , mostly as a crypto tactical . My day pack and briefcase both contain a Spirit .

Chris

de Offline Jmora

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 12:26:56 AM
I find it interesting the way they are so different even at the aesthetic level. there is something more 'high-tech' looking about the wave, whereas the spirit is more elegant looking. Noone could accuse one company of copying the other, though they must watch each other very closely. Leatherman scissors, blades and drivers are fundamentally different to Vic, and Vic emphasize multifuncitionality of each tool, and are unlikely to ever incorporate OHO or premium steels into their MTs. I had to be won over to the spirit, I thought the butterfly shape of it just looked crooked at first. Probably a lot of people new to MTs think the same, added to that the brand name leatherman is as identified with the MT as John Crapper is with his particular invention.

Anyway, I have just got myself a wave and am very impressed with it, I'll see how it goes as an EDC.

us Offline Tabasco

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 01:50:30 AM
Both the Wave and the Spirit are remarkable tools. I've always been nonpartisan in regards to LM vs. Vic.
I like to combo carry both manufacturers. Current carry is the LM Crunch and Vic Champion.  Like Forrest Gump says,
Leatherman & Victorinox go together like "peas and carrots"  :D
Yeah, you right...

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 07:06:17 AM
Both the Wave and the Spirit are remarkable tools. I've always been nonpartisan in regards to LM vs. Vic.
I like to combo carry both manufacturers. Current carry is the LM Crunch and Vic Champion.  Like Forrest Gump says,
Leatherman & Victorinox go together like "peas and carrots"  :D

Well said !

Chris

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 02:28:17 PM
I use both the Wave and the Spirit.  I tend to carry the Sprit in my EDC pack and the Wave in my hiking pack (because of the OHO).  Both are great tools.

Offline Jetsrb32

Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 03:22:20 PM
Let me pose another question to everyone:

If you owned the wave/charge would you feel like you are missing something by not having the Spirit?

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 03:39:19 PM
Let me tell you this way... I have a Spirit X in plus CS version (that is with ratchet, extension, bit kit and corkscrew) which is prooven to be extremelly capable for allmost any situation I've been in, but still I would like to have Charge TTi or Wave...

That's what happens when you hang around here too much...  :D :pok:

Seriously, it's about having more options, and tool rotation...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 07:06:47 PM
Let me pose another question to everyone:

If you owned the wave/charge would you feel like you are missing something by not having the Spirit?

Yes , every true Multi. knut should own at least one . It's a different and very interesting design approach .

Chris

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:55 AM
i dont own a wave yet but my spirit S in BO is perfect.
no play in any of the locking blades.
tools are not too easy or hard to get out.
its a good size, not too big or too small.
it feels quality in every way.

beats the crap out of all my knives and tools IMHO and I own maybe 30 or so knives and mulitools (which I found out isn't that much!) lol
Quality Control
Materials
Design

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 07:26:32 PM
I have both and I can't decide which is best . As others have said they are both very good , infact top of their class multitools . I've spent years EDCing one or the other neither have ever let me down and both have always done what I ask of them . At the moment its Leathermans I'm EDCing and its a Wave today , a Charge the day before and a Freestyle the day before that lol . The obvious + for the Wave/Charge is the one hand opening and pocket clip ( for some ) and the removable lanyard ring ( for me ) and the bit changer. + for the Spirit is an Awl and a very good one it is too , a good pry bar and probably the most comfortable pliers on any multitool I've tried.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:18:31 PM
Like they say on CPF , buy both !

Chris

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:52 AM
Vote add 1 to Spirit

I only reciently got the spirit but it repalces all my LM's, I really have NO use for the slot wasted on the mini screw-driver, its has always annoyed me! 

Not the only factor

I was always more of a fan of the core/blast/ style of multi then the wave/charge style. 

The dissadvantage of these LM's is the blade is not on the edge of the tool, (hard to explain) where the spirit is.

I think the wave offers nice blades but thats what i like about the "butter knife" on the vic.

there is also a feel and style i like more about the vic

Peace

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 10:10:50 AM
Three of my favourite tools in one thread  :ahhh :ahhh  the Wave/Charge lack an Awl but the Spirit lacks one hand opening . Its such a hard call to choose between them .I suppose the Spirit offers a more slimline low profile carry and the Wave offers more cutting power.

Dunc

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 12:24:19 PM
the Wave/Charge lack an Awl but the Spirit lacks one hand opening . Its such a hard call to choose between them .I suppose the Spirit offers a more slimline low profile carry and the Wave offers more cutting power.

Dunc

That's the jist, I think.  Also, the Spirit offers better reach for the drivers in tight spaces, but the Wave/Charge offers expandability with the bit drivers.  Of course there are the tool differences as mentioned previously:

Wave: small bit driver
Spirit: pry tool, awl, electrician's tool
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 01:40:10 PM
It's fair to say that in the mid sized multi field the Spirit and the Wave/Charge family are the front runners . Most of us who own all of the above are deadlocked .

Chris

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 06:29:52 AM
I have all three also,if I want a good and fast blade,the TTi is tops,if I want a good awl or chisel,or use around much water the Spirit is tops,for a good all around beater,it go's to the Wave,and I try to rotate them all.
 :cheers:& :salute:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:00:06 PM
I like the Spirit just because it's so smooth and pretty but have no problem admitting that the Wave is a wonderful tool.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:37 AM
It's fair to say that in the mid sized multi field the Spirit and the Wave/Charge family are the front runners . Most of us who own all of the above are deadlocked .

Chris

well said,  :cheers: 
It comes down to the little details and opinions for a final personal decision
Smitty44 you got nailed it with a discription I think
As for a clear overall winner... seems impossible

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99