Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone experience with those Zippo handwarmer things?

zepla · 48 · 12006

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Anyone experience with those Zippo handwarmer things?
Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 10:35:04 PM
I liked it so much I got one each for my parents for Christmas and I even bought a backup for myself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 10:53:48 PM
I liked it so much I got one each for my parents for Christmas and I even bought a backup for myself.

I'm assuming, praying that you are talking about the warmer and not what Mat was talking about.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 11:31:35 PM
I wad talking about the hand warmers... there isn't enough therapy in the world for what Mat was talking about!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:22 AM

I'm assuming, praying that you are talking about the warmer and not what Mat was talking about.

What a GREAT idea , that way you could have warming pouches front & BACK  :think: :P :D , might make sitting down tricky  :think: :D :D :D

I wad talking about the hand warmers... there isn't enough therapy in the world for what Mat was talking about!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

What...... :think: :D :D :D :D :D

Currently 34degrees c down under  :pok: :pok: , you calling me crazy , I am not lighting things & putting them in pockets  :pok: :D :D :D. Frozen rain , now that is nuts  :P :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 01:13:50 AM
You say that as if there was something wrong with filling a steel box with flammable liquid, igniting it and stuffing it in your pocket...   :facepalm:

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 01:20:51 AM
Well it is the right time of year for roasted chestnuts  :think: :think: :P :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 01:22:02 AM
Well I keep them in the pockets in my jacket, so more like warm milk....  :ahhh

Def

us Offline django.cj

Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 02:39:14 AM
I got one of these for Xmas...looking forward to trying it out while ice fishing.  :D

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:50 PM
Wow I went on a backpacking trip not too long ago planning to bring the disposable kind of hand warmers (but I forgot and my fingers froze) I have never  heard of this kind and now I am determined to buy a zippo one!

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 04:02:49 PM
I got my wife a small hand warmer off of eBay. It was very inexpensive and purple (her favourite colour). I'm impressed with it. It is just as hot as the large ones I have, and ran for about 6 hours. I may get a couple more and some spare burners. The burners also fit my larger warmers, and the prices are low enough to almost make them disposable.

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 03:42:57 AM
Used one once, once.

They are no use at all to me. If I am moving I keep perfectly warm. If I stop, I  can start a fire to keep warm.  If you don't know how to dress correctly for the conditions, one of these gadgets won't help you much.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 05:00:26 AM
I disagree.

The weather here is no where near as cold as it is in other parts of the country but it is almost perpetually wet here. That's not taking into consideration the ocean spray since I work at the dockyards.  Minus ten degrees is really nasty when you are soaking wet and that's where these come in handy. They help keep the moisture in your clothes manageable.

Plus its nice to have a heater inside lighter clothing than have to wear heavier, bulkier clothing.

Def

Sent from my Nexus 7 digital multitool.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:05 AM
I trust your opinion, Grant. Went to the Amazon site and read a lot of the negative comments about the burners going out after a few minutes or failing altogether.

Based on their lighters, least the new ones, the fluid evaporates quickly. The fit is not as firm as the older lighters were, like the one my father had carried for many years. Know he eventually dumped the Zippo and preferred the butane refillable types or a Bic.

Would not mind trying one out to see if they are as good as most claim, but knowing my luck would get stuck with a lemon. Just don't have the luxury of tossing money around. Now it is getting colder here this year than previous years, below 7° F and maybe a high of 10° F. Maybe it is because after turning 51 body changes are at work. Knees ache more, been taking an occasional nap (trying to fight it), and the cold is colder.
Put in for the Zippo Melt Your Mitts handwarmer contest on facebook hoping to win just one - and maybe seeing if they are indeed worth their salt.  :pok: But there is that luck thing again.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 02:47:32 PM
I trust your opinion, Grant. Went to the Amazon site and read a lot of the negative comments about the burners going out after a few minutes or failing altogether.

Based on their lighters, least the new ones, the fluid evaporates quickly. The fit is not as firm as the older lighters were, like the one my father had carried for many years. Know he eventually dumped the Zippo and preferred the butane refillable types or a Bic.

One must appreciate that these devices require some thought and common sense to operate. That rules out about 50% of the worlds population right there. One will also have to read and follow the instructions for these warmers to operate correctly. That rules out 50% of those remaining. Those who remain should have no problems with the heaters. The fact that you are here suggests you'd make it into the remaining group. :)

One does not fuel these heaters and store them. The fuel will leak and/or evaporate. They are fuelled just before use. And if they are not over fuelled, and they are put into the pouch, they work well. Those who claim they are of no use, have never been cold or have no imagination. These heaters are very useful, much more so than trying to build a camp fire in a pocket while attending an outdoor function...

Dave

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 03:45:33 PM
Used one once, once.

They are no use at all to me. If I am moving I keep perfectly warm. If I stop, I  can start a fire to keep warm. If you don't know how to dress correctly for the conditions, one of these gadgets won't help you much.

Well enough, except: if you are in the outdoors and are only stopping for a bite of lunch making a fire is totally impractical, some areas (national parks etc) simply won't allow you to build a fire at any time, if you work outside (say in a dock or building site) your boss might not like the idea of you starting a fire. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
I was given one for my birthday,and have been using it on shooting comps this winter.It may not be a life saver,but it does add a lovely warm glow on a cold Sunday morning.

That being said,it is an utter PITA to light,takes about 90 seconds exposure to flame.I've found that my butane Ronson can't quite light it,where a petrol lighter does :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 09:16:33 PM
Used one once, once.

They are no use at all to me. If I am moving I keep perfectly warm. If I stop, I  can start a fire to keep warm. If you don't know how to dress correctly for the conditions, one of these gadgets won't help you much.

Well enough, except: if you are in the outdoors and are only stopping for a bite of lunch making a fire is totally impractical, some areas (national parks etc) simply won't allow you to build a fire at any time, if you work outside (say in a dock or building site) your boss might not like the idea of you starting a fire. :D

Gareth for President!  :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline django.cj

Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 03:26:00 AM
Used one once, once.

They are no use at all to me. If I am moving I keep perfectly warm. If I stop, I  can start a fire to keep warm.  If you don't know how to dress correctly for the conditions, one of these gadgets won't help you much.

Ice fishing has my hands in cold water and handling line that's been in cold water, all day long.  I really think this is going to make things quite a bit nicer.  Every bit of my body is toasty warm, but my hands get COLD.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%