Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox vs. Wenger

Biru · 11 · 3446

Offline Biru

Victorinox vs. Wenger
on: October 21, 2007, 05:16:54 PM
Yesterday I was cleaning my MTs, with my Swisstool last (I try not to play favorites, but...). I still marvel at the thought and quality that Vic put into this tool. This got me to wondering:

I don't have a Wenger yet. Generally, how is the quality of the Wenger versus the Victorinox products? I know that concerning Swiss products this is probably a dumb question. The Wenger MT looks a bit clunkier, but mind you I've never used it, only seen it on this forum. I definitely plan on getting a Wenger. If the Wenger even approaches the Victorinox quality (read rabid Vic fan here), it must be a good piece.

Thanks for the input, Bill.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Victorinox vs. Wenger
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:27:35 PM
Good question and although I'm Moderator of the Swiss forum I dont own a Wenger  :o I know I know and I feel bad about it  :-[ I'm a huge Vic fan and in my eyes they cant do anything wrong but I have nothing at all against Wenger and from what I have heard their tools are very good . I am saving up for a Wenger Alinghi sailing knife that I really want at the moment and when I get it I will be able to answer your question but I'm sure a few others will be along to tell you all about Wenger in the mean time .

Dunc

Offline Biru

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 05:35:19 PM
Thanks, Dunc.

After going through the Leatherman, Bear, SOG and Gerbers, the little things on the Victorinox just amazed me: how the tool's edges butt together neatly for accurate use of the ruler, the easy opening of each tool, the excellent locking device (my Leatherman Supertools sliding mechanism is horrible in comparison), the general fit and finish-more watch/jewelry-like than utilitarian- just made me wonder about the Wengers.

Offline tomcrx

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:49:25 PM
The quality is just as good in recent Wengers. Below are some observations on individual implements. I EDC a Wenger Handyman quite frequently

+ locking screwdriver
  + slipjoint pliers
  + universal wrench
  + more "belly" on the blade
  + locking blade option
  + evo handles - they actually are more comfortable to me
  + scissors cut rougher material better
  + smaller for EDC
  + better can opener - too me at least
  + in past they have taken risks on specialized tools - i.e. cleat wrench, mountain bike tool, etc

- some have weaker backsprings
  - awl is not sharpened
  - file is thick and not aggressive
  - mag glass is crappy

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:16:11 PM
Wenger's quality fit and finish are second to Victorinox, but that still puts them a mile ahead of whoever is in third place.  Wenger makes up for the slightly lower quality in manufacture with more advanced designs, like the universal wrench, the locking screwdrivers, the slip jointed pliers, the self sharpening scissors, the backspring mechanism that replaced the fragile leaf springs, the PackLock system for a locking blade on standard sized models and the Evolution and EVOGrip scales.

As for the tools, the Alinghi and the SwissGrip are significantly bulkier than the SwissTool.  The SwissTool, as heavy duty as it is, does not feel quite as sturdy as the permanent, not folding pliers on the SwissGrip, but the SwissGrip doesn't have as many functions as the SwissTool.  The SwissGrip does however have a longer and more useful saw, and also has a small adapter that allows you to use standard 1/4" screwdriver bits, which is very handy. 

The Alinghi on the other hand is more "knife with tools" than "tool with blades" and so is more comfortable in the hands, even though it's wider.  Much of that had to do with the more ergonomic (non rectangular) shape overall, and the addition of the Evolution scales.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:32:06 PM
It's tough to compare the quality of tools the two companies produce, because those tools are so radically different. Easier to compare SAK's between the two.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Biru

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:00:41 AM
I'm obliged to you posters for the info and opinions.

I'd imagine it would be tough to equal the fit and finish of the Swisstool. My Wave is no slouch and if it weren't for those annoying exposed gears, I'd love the SOG. Its fit and finish is nice as well. I just love the niceties of the Swisstool.

Thanks again for the posts, Bill.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:53:46 AM
My first SAK was a Wenger.  I like them very much but I HATE the wenger scales.  They break if you drop the tool.  This is the only reason I put Wenger in second place.  Victorinox is the better tool in my opinion.  I believe that the scales are definately more durable and the tool is built to the finest tolerance in general.  The Wenger EVO series offers a locking version that is smaller than the victorinox which is a real plus if you desire a locknig blade but dont want a larger knife.  Both tools will do the job you need to do.  I just prefer the Victorinox because of the above mentioned reasons.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 08:42:20 PM
My first SAK was a Wenger.  I like them very much but I HATE the wenger scales.  They break if you drop the tool. 
When dropped, my Wenger SI and Vic Soldier make identical marks on the hardwood floors, with no damage to the scales :o
Sorry, could not resist. A actually agree, Wenger cellidor scale design (wrapping arounds the outside liners) seems to make them more prone to breaking.
Alexei
-------
Alexei

Offline Biru

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 08:01:11 PM
Thanks to you all. As I say, my Wave and Powerlock are both well made and well finished, but when I got the Vic Swisstool, I was stunned by the finish. It was more like a piece of jewelry or a fine watch. I'd wager they spend more time on polishing than most manufacturers spend on assembly. Regards, Bill.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 01:56:08 AM
I guess that attention to detail is what makes them or anything for that matter great.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%