Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new Headlamp

Sean · 17 · 3294

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
My new Headlamp
on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:23 AM
I'm thinking this will come in handy on my nightly walks out on the dike.  How handy
will it be to have both hands free for a change?  Did a little looking around the
internet on them and decided to get this one.  Any of you have one, how do you like?
Headlamp 002.JPG
* Headlamp 002.JPG (Filesize: 65.57 KB)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: My new Headlamp
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:54 AM

oops, double post, sorry
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:21:48 AM by Sean »

ca Offline gunga

My new Headlamp
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:34:17 AM
I'm into 1 AA headlamps so have a few zebralights.  I intend to try a spark headlamp next.  That said, the eos is a very good headlamp.  Also easily modded. If you are okay with 3x aaa, it's a fine choice.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:10:55 AM
The EOS is a phenomenal headlamp. I've had mine for several years (it's one of the older 20ish lumen models) and have had no problems and nothing but good things to say about it. I've been night-hiking lately and started with handhelds but quickly pulled the EOS out of storage and use it now. It's more comfortable for me and just easier to do pretty much any activity with a headlamp.

It's also easy to mod if you ever want to DIY-upgrade. Mine currently has a CREE X-RE without an optic, gives me 100% flood and works awesomely for up close use. I recommend you find some AAA Eneloops as well, they're rechargeable, have limited self-discharge and you won't have to worry about any potential alkaline corrosion.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:08 AM
There a good lamp alright :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:03:56 PM
I used to modify these, and I still have a few.  They're good headlamps, but recommend that you DO NOT store these in a vehicle.  I had a black one in my car for 2-3 years for emergencies and the case eventually cracked in two places.  I assume the culprit was high and low temperature fluctuations throughout the year.  Another weak point on these (if they haven't improved them) is the plastic hinge where the forehead plate attaches to the case.  One of the hinge "nubs" broke off just from being up against something inside my glovebox.

I also have switched to using Zebralights because they run on 1AA and have tough aluminum cases.  I don't mean to put down the EOS, because it is a very good headlamp.  I just want to make you aware of some issues I've encountered.
- Terry

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:29:18 PM
Thanks all for the comments, good and constructive.  :)  I'll be checking out some of
the other one's you guys mentioned.  I have yet to try it out as a family dinner last
night precluded me from hitting the trail.
I'll have to keep my eye open for a shoppers duraloop sale as I don't have any in AAA
format.

Mike if you see them on special if you think of it can you send me a PM?  Thanks. :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 06:47:58 PM
They'd almost certainly be cheap on your side of the pond mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:55:44 PM
Oh sorry Mike, the other Mike (Gunga).  :D  My mistake.

ca Offline gunga

My new Headlamp
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:58 PM
Sure buddy.

;)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 07:21:18 PM
Also,  I've been looking at those spark lights and they seem amazing!  If your thinking
of getting one maybe we could grab two and split the shipping?  Anyhow, PM me if
this might work or not. :)

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?237750-ST6-series-headlamps-from-Spark-Tech-New-model-ST6-280OW

ca Offline gunga

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 08:25:57 PM
I was thinking of getting an AA spark (ST5-125OW) , though the 18650 one does look interesting.  I'll PM you later today Sean, may send it to a friend in the states as I'm heading over there at the end of the month.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:10:26 PM
I was thinking of getting an AA spark (ST5-125OW) , though the 18650 one does look interesting.  I'll PM you later today Sean, may send it to a friend in the states as I'm heading over there at the end of the month.

I got a 125OW about two weeks ago and had to send it back.  The driver was seriously flawed.  The low setting was NOT 5 lumens as advertised, closer to about 1 or 1.5 lumens.  The biggest problem though was the medium setting was unusable because there was an irregular flicker on that setting using anything but a 14500.  And, when I did put a 14500 in it, the medium setting became nearly as bright as the high setting, although it did stop the flickering.  The low and high were unaffected by the 14500.  Since med. is the setting I use most in a headlamp, that pretty much made the light useless.  I bought mine through SBflashlights and they were very good about taking the return, and informed me that Spark is developing a new driver for the 125OW and that they'd send me one of the new units as soon as they got them.  Unfortunately they're not sure when that will be.  :(

With respect to the beam on the Spark, it actually was very nice.  An even broader spill than my H51w (which I thought was pretty much impossible) and a larger hot spot as well.  Very nice and floody, perfect for the kinds of things you'd use a headlamp for.  When my replacement comes, I'm going to put some DC-fix on the lens.  Provided the driver works right I think it will become my primary headlamp over my H51w because of how nice and floody it is.

Over at CPF (good thoughts and return to us quickly!), I've read nothing but good comments/reviews of the 18650 based Sparks, so I am planning on getting one of the 280OW's as soon as I can afford it.  It will become my dedicated bike helmet light though, since the 18650 models are much throwier from the beam shots I've seen, and if the 280 OTF lumens is accurate, will be brighter and have a better run time than my Jet-3 Pro ST(nw) which is what I currently use on my helmet.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:32:57 PM
Yep, had my spark for a couple days, sent it back for the same reason...

:ahhh

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:39 AM
Not quite performing as they look like they should huh? :-\

ca Offline gunga

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:15:52 AM
Yep, there will be an updated version (with an extra burst mode I think) at the end of the month (I hope).

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:11 AM
Yep, there will be an updated version (with an extra burst mode I think) at the end of the month (I hope).

Me too...

Except for the driver issue, I was very pleased by the 125OW.  Excellent fit and finish, although the threads were pretty dry when I took it out of the box.  The headband was great, very nice warmish tint, and a very nice floody beam pattern.  The knurling was also the most aggressive I've ever seen on ANY light... you could easily reach up and adjust the angle with subzero thickness gloves on because the knurling is so aggressive. 

I'm looking forward to getting the replacement with the new driver...  I'll put it through some paces, compare it with my h51w, and decide how I want to purpose each of them from there.  If the new 125OW works to my satisfaction, I might make it my primary headlamp and use my h51w exclusively on my bike helmet for night riding.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%