Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got a few new lights

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Got a few new lights
on: October 23, 2007, 03:31:16 PM
Over the last little while I have gotten a few more "cheap" LED lights that I keep meaning to talk about, but something else has always come up.

One that I am really happy with is this dual LED light that my wife got at work as part of a promotion for a bunch of new satellite TV channels.  This one I like to call "The Light Of Christ" because it has a Christian channel logo on it.  I haven't taken pictures yet, but here's one I stole from a site that sells them:

It's powered by the hand crank which charges an internal battery, and it seems to last forever (several hours at least) on only a few squeezes.  I'll try and get some beam shots later, and I imagine that you can probably get these kinds of lights at any discount or hardware store.  My Mother In Law has one as well, but hers isn't the Christian Channel one, and I really don't know where she got it.

The next one is a 5 LED hat light, and again I am going to have to steal a pic off the 'net.

My wife got one for me and my father while we were visiting my parents a couple of months ago.  It was part of an ad campaign at the local beer store, but I don't know how effective it was since there is no ad printed on it.  I don't use it much, but it's pretty bright and kind of cool.  I personally prefer to go without a light as much as possible in the dark, but if I needed a constant hands free light, this one would be pretty handy.

The last one is the Gerber Infinity Ultra, which I quite like due to it's compact size, metal body and pocket clip.

It's a handy little light but I don't like the twisty tailcap, although it does function nicely as a momentary on by unscrewing the tailcal just a bit then pressing it.  It's not as bright as some other LED's, but at under $20US at www.EDCDepot.com it's a hard one to beat.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Got a few new lights
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:20:41 PM
Good to see that you've finally got a Gerber IU.  I hope you're as happy with it as I am mine.  It's very handy to clip to the brim of a cap as a headlamp.

Is yours just like the one in the photo?  The one pictured is the "Ultra-M" military version, which has reduced spill.  IMO, it ruins the light.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:18:18 PM
Nope, mine has a concave area around the LED.  I can't help but wonder if it may have been better if that area was polished.  I may have to use that as an excuse to get a Nestle Crunch bar as they have about the thinnest, shiniest foil in them, or at least they used ti.  I used to use it to get realistic chrome parts on models as a kid!

I like the Gerber light, but it seems noticeably dimmer than some of my other LED lights.  It's not a big deal, and it's still plenty powerful for the cost, but is that a common problem or was I a lucky one?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:54:36 PM
It's not a problem, just old technology.  The IU is really considered by most a "survival" light, due to its simple construction and durability, and because the runtime is really unbelievable on an alkaline battery.  I did a test of sorts with mine, and it was still producing useable light past 48 hours.  I think it's a great light to use when your eyes are dark-adjusted, but not-so-great for say, peering into a computer case in a well-lit room.

I have seen modders polish the "reflector" of the light and, IMO, it's not really worth it.  You do gain some reflected light, but not enough to really matter.  The lenses of those Nichia 5mm leds don't throw a wide enough beam to project much light onto the reflector.

The clip on the IU is my favorite and I'll let you in on a little secret...  They fit Fenix LxP lights very well.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:07:05 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:31 PM
I was wondering about that myself.  I thought that was a drawback to the Fenix- no clip, and no top on the small sheath.  I figured there was a good chance of losing it.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:45 AM
Def, You will love the cap light. I have had the 3 bulb cat eye brand and your 5 bulb one. I absolutely love them at work. Great for seeing under the truck and greasing the machines. You will surely find use biking and kyaking with it. :ahhh
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:48:11 AM
I've had it for a while, but I don't use it all that much.  Of course, like many things, it'll be worth it's weight in plutonium the day I need it and nothing else will do!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:41:18 AM
My CMG Infinity is about as bright as a CountyComm fauxton, but in a better form...lanyard, pocket clip, metal body, etc...

I assume it's the same exact light; but Gerber bought it and changed the design a bit.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:57:41 AM
Well I loaned the Gerber to a security guard friend of mine- we'll see what he thinks of it soon.

He's also painfully cheap, so it's kind of right up his alley! :D

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 07:03:01 AM
My CMG Infinity is about as bright as a CountyComm fauxton, but in a better form...lanyard, pocket clip, metal body, etc...

I assume it's the same exact light; but Gerber bought it and changed the design a bit.

The only difference, electronically, that I'm aware of is that the newer Gerber IUs have a Nichia CS LED.  They're a bit brighter and more efficient.

I honestly like my Gerber better than my CMG.  The CMG is built like a tank, but it can't tailstand or be used in a momentary-on fashion like the Gerber.  The Gerber clip works better for me too.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 03:36:04 PM
I thought that was a drawback to the Fenix- no clip, and no top on the small sheath.  I figured there was a good chance of losing it. 

I think you'll be surprised at how well those Fenix sheaths hold the torch.  I've been using them for a couple of years on various Fenix lights, and have yet to even see one come unseated, much less fall out of the sheath.  There was a recent discussion about this on CPF, and one guy said he skydives with his with no problem.  However, I assume that the elastic sides of the sheath will eventually stretch and wear to the point of losing its grip on the light.  I'm not sure I would wear that sheath on a duty belt, but it seems functional for a civilian role.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 03:54:25 PM
For on duty use, if it isn't tied down and/or locked in, you'll lose it.  Or at least I am paranoid enough about losing it that I would prefer it was covered up or locked in.  I may have to contact On Scene Tactical about a kydex rig for it.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%