Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wire Cutters

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Wire Cutters
on: October 24, 2007, 05:01:03 PM
Sog makes the best wire cutters in the business I think, combined with thier compound leverage they are just about the toughest a company can make. Been on a SOG kick for a while and just wanted to put in my .02, just got the ToolClip after a long time wanting one, and it's cutters and thicker than anything I have ever seen! I tested them on some fencing by the house, took some work to cut through the old wire (using a left-right twisting motion) but it cut through the thick wire without any damage to the cutters.

David

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Wire Cutters
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:22:16 PM
Sog makes the best wire cutters in the business I think, combined with thier compound leverage they are just about the toughest a company can make. Been on a SOG kick for a while and just wanted to put in my .02, just got the ToolClip after a long time wanting one, and it's cutters and thicker than anything I have ever seen! I tested them on some fencing by the house, took some work to cut through the old wire (using a left-right twisting motion) but it cut through the thick wire without any damage to the cutters.

David
Good to hear mate :), compound leverage apart, I thought the carbide one's on the gerber's would be good.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:28:54 PM
Carbide ones I had on my 800 were good, but prone to chipping. Some how SS seems stronger  ???

David

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:50:18 PM
Carbides tend to be very tough but brittle materials, i guess that's why they made them triangular so that you had at least 6 free repairs before you had to replace them. SS is softer but much more ductile which is why you tend to deform the cutters on tools rather than chip them.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:16:09 PM
Carbide ones I had on my 800 were good, but prone to chipping. Some how SS seems stronger  ???

David
I think it's because SS will roll rather than chip.

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:16:44 PM
Carbides tend to be very tough but brittle materials, i guess that's why they made them triangular so that you had at least 6 free repairs before you had to replace them. SS is softer but much more ductile which is why you tend to deform the cutters on tools rather than chip them.
::) should have read your reply before answering dave's :D

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:20:42 PM
Since you all are on the subject (kinda), I've been wondering if those Gerber cutters work on thick material. Seems to me that the design would get caught up on anything thick (like heavy gauge wire for example)?

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 10:21:45 PM
Well I haven't got a set to test (yet ::)) but i would imagine that would be the case :)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:31:12 PM
Well i just compared the cutters to the swisstool using a coat hanger as the material and the Gerber took a lot of effort to cut it but managed it, the swisstool went through it a lot easier but neither were uncomfortable to use!

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 10:34:22 PM
Well i just compared the cutters to the swisstool using a coat hanger as the material and the Gerber took a lot of effort to cut it but managed it, the swisstool went through it a lot easier but neither were uncomfortable to use!
I guess that's pretty definative :)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:02:52 PM
Thanks for the test :) I was especially wondering about thick soft wire like maybe #4 AWG solid copper, but I doubt anybody has any of that just lying around ::) and I haven't really tried it with any MT, so maybe 10,8 or 6 would be a better quesiton.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:52 PM
Don't think i have any solid core wire hanging around but i'll have a look, not something i've needed much at uni! But should i come across some i'll be certain to give it a shot.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 11:08:56 PM
Yeah, it's not an everyday thing at all unless you're doing electrical work... Thanks for the help though :multi:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 03:52:28 AM
The carbide cutters on my Gerber can't cut stranded wire...it just bends between the cutters.  I've got them tightened beyond tight, but I guess the design just leaves a tiny space where the stranded wire get's hung up.

Any heavy gauge or otherwise solid stuff is fine though.

I'd also agree with David...SOG cuts everything effortlessly and cleanly :multi:
[

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 04:18:39 AM
Got that right Corrugated, SOG kicks butt. I do have to say, SOG has brute force, but new leathermans can cut paper like scissors...for precise work, Leatherman is your tool.

David

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 05:16:45 AM
Yes, but how many "precise" cuts have you made on wire? ;)  I can easily strip fine wire with my Powerlock.

While we're on the subject; my Crunch arrived today and I stripped a wire on my first try with that odd integrated wire stripper.  It's a little odd but it works!

[

Offline supratentorial

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 06:50:15 AM
I think that the cutters on SOG's new pliers are even better than the original.  The cutter is wider and has a much better edge.  In my opinion, the best cutters are on the new SOG and the Paladin PT-525.  The Gerber Diesel has a pretty good cutter also.  I was able to cut lamp cord with all three (also the Leatherman E4...though the small cutter required a couple of passes).  Every other multi-tool that I've tried makes a mess of finely stranded wire.  (Although it's a fine tool in other respects, the SwissTool spirit was the worst on lamp cord.  The fine wires got mashed between the jaws and I had to pry the jaws apart.  The Leatherman Crunch was 2nd worst on stranded wire.  The Charge and SwissTool were about equally poor--they cut some but not all of the wires on one pass.  I haven't tried the stranded wire cutter on the Leatherman Core & Surge)  The new SOG cutters also handle solid wire (10 gauge) well but I haven't tried cutting a fence with them.  Although I don't cut a lot of lamp cord, I cut lamp cord more often than fencing.  I still go to my trusty Klein pliers when I'm planning a project requiring heavy cutting.

Here's a photo showing the SwissTool Spirit jammed on lamp cord (right panel).  I can actually suspend the SwissTool Spirit by the wire.  It didn't take a lot of force but I did have to pry the jaws apart.  It had just mashed the wires rather than cutting them (left panel).  The clean ends were cut with the new SOG.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:44:01 AM by supratentorial »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 01:10:49 PM
I think that the cutters on SOG's new pliers are even better than the original.  The cutter is wider and has a much better edge.  In my opinion, the best cutters are on the new SOG and the Paladin PT-525.  The Gerber Diesel has a pretty good cutter also.  I was able to cut lamp cord with all three (also the Leatherman E4...though the small cutter required a couple of passes).  Every other multi-tool that I've tried makes a mess of finely stranded wire.  (Although it's a fine tool in other respects, the SwissTool spirit was the worst on lamp cord.  The fine wires got mashed between the jaws and I had to pry the jaws apart.  The Leatherman Crunch was 2nd worst on stranded wire.  The Charge and SwissTool were about equally poor--they cut some but not all of the wires on one pass.  I haven't tried the stranded wire cutter on the Leatherman Core & Surge)  The new SOG cutters also handle solid wire (10 gauge) well but I haven't tried cutting a fence with them.  Although I don't cut a lot of lamp cord, I cut lamp cord more often than fencing.  I still go to my trusty Klein pliers when I'm planning a project requiring heavy cutting.

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's a photo showing the SwissTool Spirit jammed on lamp cord (right panel).  I can actually suspend the SwissTool Spirit by the wire.  It didn't take a lot of force but I did have to pry the jaws apart.  It had just mashed the wires rather than cutting them (left panel).  The clean ends were cut with the new SOG.

(Image removed from quote.)

Great test results you've got there.

You hear a lot about those Klein pliers.  What are they exactly?
I'm back!!

Offline supratentorial

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 04:41:26 PM

Klein (http://www.kleintools.com/) makes a number of different pliers.  The side cutting pliers in the photo is one of my favorites for heavy duty work.  Here are some specs:

* 2000 series cuts ACSR, screws, nails and most hardened wire.
    * High-leverage design. Rivet is closer to the cutting edge for 46% greater cutting and gripping power than other plier designs.
    * Streamlined design with sure-gripping, cross-hatched knurled jaws.
    * Induction-hardened cutting knives for long life.
    * Hot-riveted joint ensures smooth action and no handle wobble.
    * Features combination polished and black-oxide finish.

Knipex (http://www.knipex.com/) also makes a very good pliers.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:44:56 PM by supratentorial »

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 10:26:24 PM
Wow, I like those nice clean cuts by the SOG in the mashed wire picture :)

I'm a fan of the Kleins as well. They can cut just about anything you have the strength to cut, and without taking any damage. Of course if you want to get real tough one of their ratcheting cutters would be pretty neat to have, but they're a little too much $$$ for me... :(

* Cutters.jpg (Filesize: 110.44 KB)

Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 10:28:31 PM
Bloody hell they look like a tool and a half :o

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 10:32:46 PM
They sure are :D They're fun to use too... One thing though is that their made more for copper and aluminum, so if you try to use it on anything too hard you can nick it up :( The regular kleins you don't have to worry about that thoug :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 11:35:31 PM
Yeah they look awesome!

Would have loved some of them in my last job.  I always used Maun cutters there.

I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 02:53:55 AM
Going back to Supratentorial's picture:

Must be the Klein's work so well because they are anvil type wire cutters, whereas most (all?) multipliers seem to use bypass-type wire cutters.

Wonder why the anvil type isn't more common on multis?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 03:13:36 AM
I would guess that it's because it's hard to have anvil cutters on a needlenose that will come together tightly at the very nose. If they hit at the cutters (like good anvil cutters do) the tip of the pliars never quite comes together. That's what I figured anyway...

Offline supratentorial

Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 09:03:23 AM
My Knipex electrician's pliers (middle) have an anvil-type cutter and close tightly.  Klein also makes some excellent bypass type cutters for light duty work (far left and far right).  I think the anvil type (like the Klein side cutter) is best for heavier work.  But there are heavy duty bypass type cutters (second photo) so maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not sure why all (or most) multi-tools have the bypass type.  I'd think it would be more appropriate for some of the larger tools (e.g. SwissTool, Core, etc) to use the anvil-type.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:24:40 AM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 09:16:21 AM
...Of course if you want to get real tough one of their ratcheting cutters would be pretty neat to have, but they're a little too much $$$ for me... :(

Does that thing come with an instruction manual!   :P

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 12:45:51 AM
...Of course if you want to get real tough one of their ratcheting cutters would be pretty neat to have, but they're a little too much $$$ for me... :(

Does that thing come with an instruction manual!   :P
They're pretty easy to use actually. The cutting part swings around kinda like a handcuff, then each time you squeze the handles it ratchets it a little tighter till you cut the whole way through. It's a heck of a lot nicer that those huge long-handled cutters that you would need otherwise to cut heavy wire.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 03:48:10 AM
Sounds pretty slick!

* High leverage ratchet mechanism for single-handed cutting of copper and aluminum cables, leaving no burrs or sharp edges
    * Quick release opens blades in every cutting position. Precision ratcheting mechanism holds cable tight and allows rapid, straight cuts with minimum effort
    * Hardened steel cutting blades for lasting strength and sharpness
    * Plastic covered handles with hand guards for comfort and firm grip
    * Locking lever keeps handles closed for easy transport, to fit in toolbox or bag
    * Cuts copper and aluminum up to 600 MCM

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 03:58:10 AM
Sound like a good idea for a new SOG, seeing as how they've got the leverage thing going already :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%