Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck X-Tract

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Buck X-Tract
on: October 19, 2006, 03:13:49 AM
When I first saw pictures of the Buck X-Tract I thought it was a cool looking tool but wasn't sure how well it would be. Then when I found out it was selling for just around $30 on most knife and tool sites I thought I would take the risk and get one. If it turned out to be a crappy tool then at least I'll have a cool looking shelf tool.  I'm pleased to say that the tool isn't crap at all. The Knife is by far the best implement of the tool. A  3" long blade partially serrated drop point blade that's very sharp right out of the box.  The knife like all of the tools on the X-Tract is one hand opening and open with a thumb stud with ease.  There's about 1 1/2 of aggressive serrations at the base of the blade.

The can/bottle opener is on the small side but does both jobs ok.  Like most can/bottle opener combos when using it to open a bottle it will cut the top of the bottle cap if pushed/pulled to hard. But it gets the bottle cap off.  The X-Tract has a metal lanyard loop on the bottom of the tool but I would have prefered a pocket clip insted.

The X-Tract as two screw drivers, a #2 phillips and a 3/16 flathead that are deployed using your thumb on a interesting slide lock mechanism. While the sliding locks works ok I found that it will sometime slide open while trying to deploy the pliers on the other side of the tool.

I like the way the pliers deploy. Using your thumb, you push the base of them on the tool and slide right out and lock into place. The pliers are the biggest disappointment for me.  While I haven't had any problems with them in use. They are on the small side. I would have to say that they not as strong has the pliers on the Leatherman Juice series.  I found myself being carefull when using them so not to break them.  Luckally the X-Tract is covered by Bucks 4-Ever warranty.  This being my first Buck knife I don't know how well their service department is .

All in all I have to say that I am very pleased with the X-Tract. It has a very good sharp knife, all the tools can be taken out with one hand. But for me the #1 best thing about the X-Tract is the price, for $30 you get a good, quallity tool for your money.

PROS:  Good sharp knife right out of the box
           All the tools can be deployed with one hand
           All tools lock
           Price

Cons:   The pliers are one the small and weak side
           The can/bottle opener is small and alittle hard to take out
            No pocket clip

Overall length:  7 1/4 open
                      4 1/4 closed

Weight:    5.6 oz.
xtract.jpg
* xtract.jpg (Filesize: 35.75 KB)
xtract1.jpg
* xtract1.jpg (Filesize: 57.49 KB)
xtract2.jpg
* xtract2.jpg (Filesize: 41.07 KB)
xtract5.jpg
* xtract5.jpg (Filesize: 30.82 KB)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:16:35 AM by prime77 »
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Buck X-Tract
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 03:19:36 AM
Some more pics of the X-Tract
xtract6.jpg
* xtract6.jpg (Filesize: 41.9 KB)
xtract7.jpg
* xtract7.jpg (Filesize: 28.57 KB)
xtract8.jpg
* xtract8.jpg (Filesize: 34.08 KB)
xtract3.jpg
* xtract3.jpg (Filesize: 37.21 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 04:34:38 AM
Man, I have GOT to get me one of those!

(Thanks for the great review prime!!)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 01:37:50 AM
I have seen them in the stores, but being new to this multi-tool stuff and not really having a genuine "need" for one I was unsure about picking one up.  But after a few weeks here in the forums I have decided that I need a part-time job to pay for all the multis I now want. Thank you all for getting me hooked........I guess I have become....a "plier-head" as I think it was Def that so eloquently described most of us  :laugh:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 02:13:44 AM
I have decided that I need a part-time job to pay for all the multis I now want.

I have also been thinking of taking on a second job... I don't have nearly the collection that I want, and I got two more of them in the last two days!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:53:20 AM
  I went for a long time between getting some new tools but in the last week I have got 5 new ones.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 12:11:52 PM
Hmmm , it seems I have some catching up to do- I only got two new ones this week!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 01:14:46 PM
Hmmm , it seems I have some catching up to do- I only got two new ones this week!  :P

Def

Actually, you both have some catching up to do because we haven't seen enough new WOOOOOHOOOO postings from you two to account for seven new tools.

So c'mon, get busy and tell us what all ya' got!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 10:49:40 PM
I've already posted what I got... a Mini Tool and Wave...

:P

Def

Offline damota

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 11:31:34 PM
Prime 77
Are the jaws enough to just hold a hex head bolt steady to use a bigger tool to undo the bolt and the same question about the drivers?

Dave

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 08:45:43 AM
I've already posted what I got... a Mini Tool and Wave...

:P

Def
I posted some of what I got....a Minitool, Crunch, X-tract, Wenger PocketGrip ( which is really cool by the way) and a LM Kick with the pocket clip on the way. I figured I could make me a poor mans SideClip because I'm always getting outbid on E-bay.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:52:46 AM by prime77 »
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 08:47:42 AM

Def

Actually, you both have some catching up to do because we haven't seen enough new WOOOOOHOOOO postings from you two to account for seven new tools.

So c'mon, get busy and tell us what all ya' got!

I'm just trying to catch up with you and Def on the tool and the post department. :)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 08:51:26 AM
Prime 77
Are the jaws enough to just hold a hex head bolt steady to use a bigger tool to undo the bolt and the same question about the drivers?

Dave
I really haven't tried to turn any big bolts with the pliers. They may be able to handle some hard work, but I would be careful.The screwdrivers both work good. I haven't had any problems with either of them
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 02:00:39 AM
Posted on the Main Site:

http://multitool.org/content/view/50/68/

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 06:29:52 AM
I just sent mine off to get fixed... so hopefully I'll be back to carrying the X-tract in the next couple weeks.  I've heard nothing but good things about Bucks customer service, so I'm not too worried...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 11:44:04 AM
What was the problem you had?

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 10:20:17 PM
The knife blade broke. 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 01:03:06 AM
That could be considered a problem I suppose...

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 03:41:43 AM
Hehe... yeah, expecially when you need to cut something...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 03:46:29 AM
How did it break?  Was it actually the blade or the lock or the pivot or what?  I think I speak for all of us when I say we need some details here...  like is this something that may happen to anyone or was it a one in a million kind of break?

Enquiring minds want to know....

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 05:39:56 AM
I was cutting a 1/4" piece of thick rubber mat when I started to drift off my line.  I angled the knife blade to get the cut back straight and about 1/4" of the blade broke off at the tip.

I don't know if it was the knife or me.  I do these types of cuts (even twisting the blade) with a Meyerco Paradox quite a bit.  The paradox has an AUS8 blade though, where the Buck has a 420HC blade.  (and by far, the Paradox blade is my favorite of all the multi's I have)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 01:15:52 PM
Weird.  Sounds to me like it must have been a flaw in the metal for it to have broken like that...

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42:35 AM
yeah, sounds like a heat treat wasn't done properly.Sometimes first production runs have problems like that
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline damota

Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 09:11:13 PM
I have recently been told that the X-Tract is Chinese made for Buck, can anyone confirm this? Might answer a few questions about this knife if they have not got all the checks on production right..

Dave
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:12:51 PM by damota »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 03:53:09 AM
I've got a couple Buck "Whittaker" series multi-knives, and a Navigator. All were made in China, and it's obvious.  :(

I don't know about the X-Tract though.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 06:26:42 AM
Yes, the X-tract is made in China.

Still haven't heard anything about my X-tract.  I sent it in to get it repaired but nothing yet.  I'll post something when I get it back.

Offline plowboy

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 09:50:53 PM
I don't mean anything nasty by this, but I try my best to not by stuff made in China.  I just  try not to.

:)

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 06:20:34 AM
I don't mean anything nasty by this, but I try my best to not by stuff made in China.  I just  try not to.

Normally I do also.  I just absolutely loved the design of the X-tract and had to have it.

Offline plowboy

Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 04:54:05 PM
Well, that's it...sometimes you've got to satisfy your urges.

I'm just kinda hardheaded about buying from China....but who among us cannot buy somethings made in China....it sometimes seems like everything on the shelves at stores is "Made in China."  Wal-Mart must be the worst.  I saw a show on PBS a while back that stated that approximately 80% of Wal-Mart merchandise is made in China.

What ever happened to Wal-Marts "Buy America" campagin?

Anyway, I'm glad you like your Buck X-Tract.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 08:57:39 PM
What ever happened to Wal-Marts "Buy America" campagin?

"Welcome to Wal Mart!  Buy American!  Shop somewhere else!"

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%