Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BuckTool collectors unite.

AHB · 214 · 45903

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: BuckTool collectors unite.
Reply #180 on: April 25, 2018, 10:48:55 AM
ReamerPunch nice BuckTool. It is nice you have a box and paper work. Would you mind posting a picture of the open tool so I can tell what variation you have.

I find it interesting how after many years of collecting BuckTools, you discover something I have never noticed before. I looked at my BuckTools and found 1, 2,3,4,5 and 6 dot tools. My first guess is a date code, as the evolution of the tool seems to coincide with the number of dots. The number of dots differ on all tools I have from one side of the head to the other. Like 2 dots one side the other 3 dots. So this may have aided in assembly.  I will be in contact with Buck to see if any one can give me an answer. I will try this weekend to post pictures of the dot variation I have.

Thanks, I only have it thanks to Aloha. Massive thanks to him.
I'm out of daylight, so I'll take pictures tomorrow.  :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #181 on: April 26, 2018, 10:20:59 AM
My first is probably the 360 BuckTool Variation 1 NO Nail Nicks 1996

No dots on this side.

One dot on this side.

No nail nicks

Handle-stop on pliers.

My NIB BuckTool is a 360FL - with file - 1 notch.

Four dots.

Five dots on the other side.

File with one notch.

Handle stop on pliers.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #182 on: May 09, 2018, 03:56:14 AM
Been awhile but have a minute to reply.

ReamerPunch Nice tools as I see your tools seem to show older tools seem to have less dots. Your first tool would be a 1996. the other a 1997. These dates come from when the tool appeared in the Buck Knives catalog.

I got an email from Buck Knives historian. I will quote it here.

" As with a lot of molded components, it’s common for the mold maker to add an identifying mark to the mold so that they will know which mold that particular part came from. If, for instance, we started to get a lot of out of tolerance jaws from the supplier, they would look to see if they were all from the same cavity. If they all had 5 dots, the mold maker knew he had a problem with that mold cavity. ( If you ever take apart something that is cast or molded plastic, you will likely see either a number, or some type of symbol. ) I believe the Buck Tool had a 6 cavity mold and that would explain the 1 to 6 dots found."

That being said I did notice some correlation between the older models and the number of dots. Here are a couple of tools with dots.

1996 First Production (no nail nicks)

Side 1

Side 2

us Offline Peyote

• If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.
Reply #183 on: June 03, 2018, 12:25:16 AM
Wow?!  I've never noticed the dots before.  My 360CL has 5 & 6 dots.  My 355 has 2 dots on both sides but on the opposite side compared to the 360.  I need a magnifying glass if I hope to see anything on my 350.

I'm very jealous of your collection Long Bow.
NAP

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #184 on: August 29, 2018, 10:59:15 PM
Just found what I believe is a “Workman” version of the 360 Bucktool.  Similar to the Harley Davidson set except that the awl replaced the can opener on the Workman and one of the Phillips drivers on the Harley.  Has a nail nick slot in the file too.

Looks like the bit set from the Harley tool will not work on this one (or any other 360 that I can tell).  It will work on a 355 though.  Go figure.......this Workman also has a fully serrated blade instead of the combo blade on the Harley....... :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:01:32 PM by Boonies »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #185 on: October 16, 2018, 05:08:50 PM
Added Buck X-Tracts 730, 731, & 735 to my little Buck stable. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #186 on: October 17, 2018, 02:10:16 AM
 :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #187 on: October 17, 2018, 03:14:07 AM
Thank you, gregozedobe! Just need the 732 LED model and I will call it quits on buying anymore X-Tract models.  :)
The LED 732 seems a rare bird though.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #188 on: October 18, 2018, 06:35:58 AM
Thank you, gregozedobe! Just need the 732 LED model and I will call it quits on buying anymore X-Tract models.  :)
The LED 732 seems a rare bird though.  :ahhh

I must admit I never got into collecting the X-Tract MTs.  There does seem to be a few different variants.  I even have a no-name copy.

If you want some hard to find Buck MTs that will keep you amused (searching) for a while, try looking for the coloured Navigator 753 MTs (buck made quite a few pre-production samples, but never went to full scale production).  NB  These are strictly shelf queen material, they weren't resolved/developed well enough to be an EDC (IMO).

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Navigator+753
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:38:02 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #189 on: October 18, 2018, 07:44:35 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. :cheers:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #190 on: November 16, 2018, 07:41:21 PM

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #191 on: November 16, 2018, 07:44:38 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #192 on: November 16, 2018, 07:46:23 PM
Many thanks  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #193 on: November 16, 2018, 09:44:47 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Very nice acquisitions, CeHo! :like:

Some more of those quintessential MT collectables. :cheers:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #194 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:06 PM
Thanks my friend 👍

I love the MiniBuck

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #195 on: November 16, 2018, 10:53:18 PM
Thanks my friend 👍

I love the MiniBuck
:hatsoff:

Indeed. The 350 is soo strange, to the point it is charming. Not the most practical though. The 360 is my personal favorite, because of the locking tools. Quite an innovative system for the era they were designed.
My Mini is in great shape, except someone broke the driver tip off of the bottle opener. If I were a bit more into keychain tools, I'd spend the money for a better example, but those things are expensive. :ahhh
I am very impressed that you found one NIB. Beautiful. :like:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #196 on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:19 PM
You’re right- I sad it and I thought three things:
1. what a beauty with this sheaths
2. it’s a strange little Tool
3. buy it

:cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #197 on: November 17, 2018, 01:47:53 AM

Nice Buck MTs.   :tu:

I like the black 360, there a several different variants around of the 360, but none are very common.

The mini-buck is so small and delicate it is almost like they said to themselves - How small can we make a Buck MT that folds like the bigger ones ?
Unfortunately once they have been used a bit many of these littlies get very loose/floppy in the mechanism that folds out the pliers  :cry:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #198 on: November 17, 2018, 05:08:11 AM
You’re right- I sad it and I thought three things:
1. what a beauty with this sheaths
2. it’s a strange little Tool
3. buy it

Nice Buck MTs.   :tu:

I like the black 360, there a several different variants around of the 360, but none are very common.

The mini-buck is so small and delicate it is almost like they said to themselves - How small can we make a Buck MT that folds like the bigger ones ?
Unfortunately once they have been used a bit many of these littlies get very loose/floppy in the mechanism that folds out the pliers  :cry:
Indeed. :iagree:
Sadly the reason a good example it tough to find.  :ahhh

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #199 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:11 PM
First I would like to say NICE BuckTools every one that has posted above. Great collection of X Tracts gerleatherberman.
I recently received one of my Grail BuckTools, it has the Phillips screwdriver icon reversed on the handle.
I have watched Ebay for many years searching for this 360 BuckTool, a week ago one came up for bid and I won it.
So onto my dilemma.
As you can see by the picture the icons are reversed.

Well the reverse side of the BuckTool has First Production Run engraved on it.

I have 2, first production run BuckTools that are still sealed in the original clam pack that I never opened. Have I had one of these reverse icons for years and didn't know it? Are all First Production BuckTools reverse icon? I do not want to open them to find out. I can only see the First Production side in the clam pack. So if any of you with 360 First Production Run tools could look and see if yours has reverse icon I would appreciate it. If yours are sealed please "do not open" them.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #200 on: November 29, 2018, 08:31:42 PM
Thank you, Longbow! :cheers:

And great find, with the reversed phillips, along with those sealed BTs.  :dd:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #201 on: November 30, 2018, 06:33:01 AM
So if any of you with 360 First Production Run tools could look and see if yours has reverse icon I would appreciate it. If yours are sealed please "do not open" them.

OK.  Both of my 360 FPR's are opened, so I had a look for you.  Both of mine are different to yours, they are the same as the other early 360's I looked at ie they have the small philips icon in the 3rd spot and the large philips icon in the 4th position (which accurately reflects the positions of the actual tools).  One is number 034 (of 400) and the other is 087, so were labelled either side of yours (but that doesn't mean the actual build sequence was bracketing your # 075)

I think you can safely assume your "reversed philips icons" 360 is indeed a truly rare bird  :salute:  :tu:     Are the tools reversed as well ?  (somehow I doubt it)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:34:02 AM by gregozedobe »

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #202 on: December 03, 2018, 04:06:51 AM
Thanks for the info gregozedobe, that answers my question with out opening my sealed packs. The tools are in the correct order in the handle.
 According to the Buck information I have there were under 2000  of these reverse icons made, but not sure exact numbers. I think the number is way less than that. There were around 2000 Harley Davidson BuckTools made and they are not too difficult to find.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #203 on: December 03, 2018, 04:07:09 AM
Another 360 BuckTool I picked up recently.
Budweiser (a USA beer) etched, most likely a salesman sample.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #204 on: August 25, 2021, 03:05:19 AM
Hey Chaps

I just came across the Buck 732 MTs elsewhere on the net - They look like really nice innovative designed MTs
Then I found this thread with a few other Buck MTs
Till now I was only familiar with the SwissBucks other than Buck single blade models

I just had a quick look on their site and they do not seem to have MTs anymore - Is that the case? Can someone enloighten me plesae?

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #205 on: August 29, 2021, 04:22:29 AM
Hey Chaps

I just came across the Buck 732 MTs elsewhere on the net - They look like really nice innovative designed MTs
Then I found this thread with a few other Buck MTs
Till now I was only familiar with the SwissBucks other than Buck single blade models

I just had a quick look on their site and they do not seem to have MTs anymore - Is that the case? Can someone enloighten me plesae?

Bucks multitools called were BuckTools. They came out in 1996 and were made until 2000. The models included  the 360 BuckTool (largest), the355 BuckLite  (medium), and 350 MiniBuck. All discontinued in 2000.  SwissBucks came out in 1992 and were discontinued 1996. The 730, 731, 732, and 735 are all variations of the X Tract, These models ran from about 2007 until 2013. The X Tracts were imported. The only tool Buck Knives still makes is called the BowTool, that is aimed at archers. Hope this helps.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #206 on: August 29, 2021, 09:02:09 AM
I did not know about the Buck 737 Bow Tool...and it is now also discontinued.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #207 on: August 29, 2021, 01:12:46 PM
I did not know about the Buck 737 Bow Tool...and it is now also discontinued.

At least Buck did actually make the 737, unlike the coloured Navigator 753 MTs where  they made some pre-production samples, but never went to full scale production.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #208 on: August 30, 2021, 02:12:05 AM
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:33:16 AM by Yadda »
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #209 on: August 30, 2021, 02:52:57 AM
Bucks multitools called were BuckTools. They came out in 1996 and were made until 2000. The models included  the 360 BuckTool (largest), the355 BuckLite  (medium), and 350 MiniBuck. All discontinued in 2000.  SwissBucks came out in 1992 and were discontinued 1996. The 730, 731, 732, and 735 are all variations of the X Tract, These models ran from about 2007 until 2013. The X Tracts were imported. The only tool Buck Knives still makes is called the BowTool, that is aimed at archers. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this info TL and the other responses folks!

Just realised I should have checked this in our own Multitool Encyclopeadia - I just did - And some of the inforation is there - But looks like it needs a bit of an update
Also just noted that the X-Tracts feature in this thread ..... even on this very page  :facepalm:

Gotta say I do like those X-Tracts - Maybe see if I can pick one up on the Bay.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%