Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BuckTool collectors unite.

AHB · 214 · 45894

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Re: BuckTool collectors unite.
Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 07:19:54 PM
Thank you Allan :salute: The 355 model is that non locking then :think: if so it will have to go on my 'really need it must have at all costs and in place of more important things list' kinda in to my non locking MT's at the mo and being in the UK, just like to carry and use my MT's :D
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #61 on: November 08, 2011, 06:58:55 AM
Thank you Allan :salute: The 355 model is that non locking then :think: if so it will have to go on my 'really need it must have at all costs and in place of more important things list' kinda in to my non locking MT's at the mo and being in the UK, just like to carry and use my MT's :D

The 355 BuckLite Tool and the 350 MiniBuck Tool are non locking. The 360 BuckTool is the only BuckTool that the implements lock. Other than color variations (350 MiniBuck Tool came in Black Oxide) these tool only came with the implements shown.

355 BuckLite Tool

350 MiniBuck Tool

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:45:13 PM by enki_ck »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:41 PM
I love the BuckTool, and I would love to see it return- if anyone from Buck is reading this, BRING BACK THE BUCKTOOL, even if it is only a special run or limited release.

What makes the BuckTool special?  Simple- it's innovative.  When it came out during what I like to think of as the First Golden Age Of Multitools, a period in which everyone recognized the brilliance of the plier based tool Tim Leatherman had released and struggled to make thier own version, everyone was trying to solve the problems defined by the PST.  The biggest issue was the exposed sheet metal edges, and the race was on to find a way around that- Schrade rotated the handles 90 degrees, Bear rotated them 180 degrees, SOG rotated the hinges 90 degrees or added awkward flaps and Gerber developed the sliding head plier concept.  I think Buck's answer incorporated the best of these ideas by having the handles fold sideways, but opposite to eachother.

Was it another silly gimmick?  I say no, because it allowed the convenience of opening the pliers one handed like the butterfly styled PST although without the rough edges.  It allowed for a hand friendly ergonomic handle without the added bulk of the ST-1.  The plier head wouldn't fold sideways during use like the ParaTool, and it didn't have extra pieces thrown in to try and cover it's own shortcomings like the Powerlock.  The mechanism didn't waste as much space as the sliding mechanism on the Multiplier, and as if all that wasn't enough, it incorporated a very smooth, effective non-obtrusive lock mechanism- something that Schrade and Bear didn't manage to do, and most other companies like Leatherman and SOG showed how unimaginative they were by using an existing rocker type lock.

There were some drawbacks though- some of the stubby screwdrivers were a bit of a pain, the three sided phillips was a bit odd and if twisted the right way the plier head would start to fold, but how many of these other companies got it right the first time around?

Given that this design is almost 20 years old, imagine what 20 years of development and inoovation would have brought us today had Buck not killed the line and moved to China?  Now with Buck bringing much of their line back in house, I think it's high time we saw an updated, USA made version of the 360.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #63 on: November 08, 2011, 03:40:42 PM
I got an unused 360 recently, and it's certainly an interesting concept. The pliers are mechanically weaker than "conventional" multitools due to the way the heads are affixed to the handles and the orientation of the sheet metal at that point. As for the drivers and 3 winged Phillips, I don't feel they are much worse than a lot of multitools currently available - I'm thinking Gerber's 2.5D Phillips and the stubby drivers on the Juice line.

At this stage I'm undecided whether this tool is one I should put into use, or pass on unused for someone to keep as a safe queen. It's quirky - but I've yet to decide whther it's quirky in the right way or the wrong way for me personally - and for me it's a user or a loser

I'd like to see Buck have another shot at the plier based multitool market and be as innovative as before - although people generally expect a pliers based tool of this size to have heavier duty pliers than Buck offered previously. The X-Tract was another innovative tool which didnt fit my needs - big locking knife (not the best start for us Brits) and (again) lightweight pliers didn't tick my boxes, but it was fun to try out for a while. Alternatively if Victorinox won't bring out a line to rival the Juice, maybe Buck could  :think: At least we know they'd do something different with the challenge and be prepared to start with a blank canvas, and I do respect Buck for that

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: November 08, 2011, 05:06:18 PM
Grant you bring up some good points buddy. One thing I`ve noticed and I been guilty of myself at times is that we some times pass judgement about these older tools without considering the times in which they were developed. The BuckTool I got yesterday is a later production  one I think and it has a regular Phillips driver not three sided and a lanyard attachment instead of the smaller Phillips driver. I`ve should have two more in of eariler production in a day or two so will post some comparision pics later.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #65 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:17 PM
Nice score David
They are behind the times and.not my edc but for their time they were innovative. And the quality is great. Very sharp blades

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
Thanks Longbow for posting those pics, I'm rather interested in getting a 355, its on the list now. thanks Grant for that interesting read. As I said, these really do ooze quality, I didn't realise how old they wear :think: would also like to see these remade, very nice MT :tu: 50ft-trad if you decide to pass it on please PM as I'd like to see and try one of these even though its a locking one as I too like use or lose :multi:

JC PT&A

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 02:17:16 AM
I have discussed the BuckTool with a Buck Knives employee. One of the reasons the BT was discontinued is that Buck had to pay "royalties" on the design of the BT, and it became cost prohibitive to continue producing the BT and stay competitive in the Multitool market. During the time the BT was manufactured the market was being flooded with new Multitools and Buck Knives felt it could no longer compete with other manufacturers. I really doubt Buck would ever do another Multitool run, as I understand it that when Buck Knives run out of warranty  parts for the tools that will be the end. I know they have very few parts left for the tools now.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 10:58:32 PM
Very interesting. :)  Any idea who they were paying the royalties too?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #69 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:22 PM

Brett P Seber from SeberTech (now IDL Tools) and a bunch of guys according to the patent:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=M-4IAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: November 09, 2011, 11:55:20 PM
cheers Ombudsman.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline David

Reply #71 on: November 10, 2011, 12:59:11 AM
Here are a few comparision pics of some differences in the BuckTool. In descending order the first pic shows the plier head differences pointed out by Bob earlier in this thread. From left to right the second pic shows the older plier head is a little beefer looking.
BuckTool 003.JPG
* BuckTool 003.JPG (Filesize: 47.03 KB)
BuckTool 015.JPG
* BuckTool 015.JPG (Filesize: 44.41 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:11 AM
The third pic shows the newer BuckTool ( bottom tool ) has a different tool set. The Phillips is four sided not three. The small Phillips is replaced by a lanyard attachment. From right to left the the fourth pic shows the two different sheaths the BuckTool 360 came with.
BuckTool 024.JPG
* BuckTool 024.JPG (Filesize: 37.81 KB)
BuckTool 030.JPG
* BuckTool 030.JPG (Filesize: 42.2 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 01:15:08 AM
One other thing I noticed about the later produced BuckTool 360 is the handles are stouter and dont flex as much as the earlier examples. At least with the one I have.   :)
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 04:25:45 AM
One other thing I noticed about the later produced BuckTool 360 is the handles are stouter and dont flex as much as the earlier examples. At least with the one I have.   :)

Can you tell what change made them stouter David?  (I'm on the road right now and can't look myself)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #75 on: November 10, 2011, 05:24:46 AM

Can you tell what change made them stouter David?  (I'm on the road right now and can't look myself)

Bob, I cant really see a change that would make them stouter. Maybe its just the way this one got put together.   :shrug:
Hold Fast

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #76 on: November 10, 2011, 05:28:15 AM

Brett P Seber from SeberTech (now IDL Tools) and a bunch of guys according to the patent:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=M-4IAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm betting that all the people listed in the patent application had (have) agreements with the Assignee Buck Knives, Inc.  Brett Seber is probably one of casualties of Buck Knives moving North...actually a casualty of the Workers Compensation problems that drove Buck from Southern California.  Many of the former Buck employees did not follow the company to Idaho.  Not that you could blame them.

When I spoke to Buck Knives about getting one of my Bucktools fixed they said they did not have the lock component but if I sent it in they would see what they could do.  I asked why they quit making the Bucktool and I was told that they were stopped by Leatherman because of a patent issue.  Makes sense since Leatherman, Frazer and Collins are all listed in the patent document. 

Bruce

us Offline David

Reply #77 on: November 22, 2011, 06:49:27 AM
Latest BuckTools 360 w/clip, 355, 350.
BuckTools 030.JPG
* BuckTools 030.JPG (Filesize: 49.27 KB)
Hold Fast

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #78 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07:29 AM
David that pocket clip Buck is a great pick up mate  8) 8) 8) , you do not see many for sale.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline David

Reply #79 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:25 AM
Mat I`m surprised I won that pocket clip 360. I guess the big dogs were napping.   :D  I really do like the BuckLite if it wasn`t a NIB I`d be carrying that tool.  The MiniBuck is well, mini. Smaller than I thought it would be. Still kinda  8) tool.
Hold Fast

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #80 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:21 AM
Mat I`m surprised I won that pocket clip 360. I guess the big dogs were napping.   :D  I really do like the BuckLite if it wasn`t a NIB I`d be carrying that tool.  The MiniBuck is well, mini. Smaller than I thought it would be. Still kinda  8) tool.

I watched the 360 clip but I already had one so I let it go. If you watch you can pick up a 355 Bucklite tool for under $20. I got a new Bucklite tool for $20 shipped in September. If they go low I will bid on them so watch out. >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: November 24, 2011, 02:43:41 AM
Congrats at finally landing the 360CL David! :cheers: I know you've been after one for awhile. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 06:44:08 AM
Congrats at finally landing the 360CL David! :cheers: I know you've been after one for awhile. :)
+1  :tu:
I still need to get those three myself..  :)

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #83 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:57 PM
Another 360 BuckTool checked off of the list. I picked this one up while fishing on the Bay

360 BuuckTool 5 Notch Wire Stripper

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:24:15 AM by enki_ck »

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #84 on: December 12, 2011, 12:37:23 AM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: that's one uber 8) blade :tu:

JC PT&A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:49 AM
Nice! :multi:  So what 360 models are you still hoping to get?

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #86 on: December 12, 2011, 05:16:18 AM
Nice! :multi:  So what 360 models are you still hoping to get?

The one that I feel will round out my collection is a 360 Harley Davidson with bit set. I have only seen pictures of this one. The tool has Harley Davidson etched on the handle.

us Offline David

Reply #87 on: December 12, 2011, 06:35:12 AM
Nice score LB.   :tu:    I passed on one of those earlier today as I was afer another tool.   :)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #88 on: December 24, 2011, 11:23:07 PM
Bucktool 360 w/file.    :)
Bucktool360FL 011.JPG
* Bucktool360FL 011.JPG (Filesize: 89.27 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: December 25, 2011, 01:13:46 AM
Another nice one David :salute:

Here's a Harley Davidson one, just to taunt The_Longbow with ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%