Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So, whats so great about the sideclip?

Offline colubrid

So, whats so great about the sideclip?
on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:24 AM
I saw the thread and read the reviews.

From what I can tell its the same as the Kick with a clip. Am I missing something, or is this a beter made LM?

I have an opportunity to pick one up so I thought I would ask.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: So, whats so great about the sideclip?
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:39:35 AM
First and foremost, it's discontinued so it's collectable.  I guess that's one of the biggest reasons to get it.

Beyond that, it's a decent little tool that has a full set of pliers, a good sized blade and enough flathead screwdrivers to ensure that no flathead screwdriver is safe from you.

I haven't encountered another multi that will rid in your pocket on a clip so easily and "disappear" so nicely until you need it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 05:43:05 PM
Yes but is it basically the same as the Kick or is there a different (BETTER?) quality to this older LM?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:06:41 PM
If you are looking for a tool to use, I'd say get the Kick since it would be easier to find.  If you are looking for something to collect, then grab a SideClip while you still can.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 09:31:09 PM
I just wanted to find out if it has a better quality or feel to it. I guess I will have to buy it to find out.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 09:38:30 PM
Well it has a sturdier feel to it than the Kick, but then I always said the Kick felt a little flimsy.  It isn't actually flimsy- made just as strong as anything else, but it kinda feels that way.
The SideClip on the other hand feels more like a PST or PST II.  Pretty sturdy, but makes a mess of your hands if you grip too hard.
Def

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 12:18:51 AM
Also, the sideclip has the pocketclip at the TOP of the handle, by the pliers, not at the other end, the end that opens.  I used the clip on the Wave for a while, but because it was at the bottom of the handles, it always opened up in my pocket.  The sideclip won't do that.  Also, I'm kind've trying to get into the older LMs.  It just seems like everyday I read a post somewhere about how their surge broke, how their wave locks failed, how this went wrong, how this isn't well made, etc.  I don't usually read or have ever read too much about the old school LMs breaking down.  Maybe it's because they weren't designed for heavy duty use and weren't beat up as much?  Maybe it's like cars, the older simpler cars were the ones that lasted, and the with the newer ones, the quality is compromised by the complexity.  I don't know, I'm just wondering out loud, but I'm trying to see how good the old LMs are.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 12:32:36 AM
Or maybe it's that the locks on the old Leathermans can't fail because they don't have locks?  :laugh:

Def

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 03:19:23 AM
No no no.  Well, yes, you are right they didn't have locks, but no, I've ready about the scissors breaking, the screwdrivers breaking, the pliers themselves breaking, or the tools rubbing each other, just a whole list of problems.  I'm a big LM fan, but I'm just wondering if the fact that the new line of tools has all these embellishments and complexities hasn't compromised their quality, you know?  Like I said, I'm not making an accusation one way or the other.  I'm just wondering out loud.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 08:09:30 AM
Also, the sideclip has the pocketclip at the TOP of the handle, by the pliers, not at the other end, the end that opens.  I used the clip on the Wave for a while, but because it was at the bottom of the handles, it always opened up in my pocket.  The sideclip won't do that.  Also, I'm kind've trying to get into the older LMs.  It just seems like everyday I read a post somewhere about how their surge broke, how their wave locks failed, how this went wrong, how this isn't well made, etc.  I don't usually read or have ever read too much about the old school LMs breaking down.  Maybe it's because they weren't designed for heavy duty use and weren't beat up as much?  Maybe it's like cars, the older simpler cars were the ones that lasted, and the with the newer ones, the quality is compromised by the complexity.  I don't know, I'm just wondering out loud, but I'm trying to see how good the old LMs are.
I underestand what your wondering out loud about Navajero316. I kind of underestand your thinking. Look at the Sideclip and the Kick. I know that the SideClip is discontinued so it collectable.  And I have been watching them on e-bay for the past two weeks and some are going for as much as $90. I might be wrong but somehow I don't think that 5 years from now people will pay that much for a Kick. 
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 08:29:41 AM
Or maybe it's that the locks on the old Leathermans can't fail because they don't have locks?  :laugh:

Def
There's that SuperTool 200 lock problem where if you for some really strange reason open all the tools at one time you can't open the lock to release them.  I guess is was a problem for some because there is the solution on the LM website.
"

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 04:23:00 PM
There's that SuperTool 200 lock problem where if you for some really strange reason open all the tools at one time you can't open the lock to release them...

You might open all blades at once to clean inside the handles.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 07:32:12 PM
Ah..... I never thought about that.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24