Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Noobs Diary – A clueless muppet’s first steps into tool modding

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
INTRO

I’m completely new to this modding game. I’d THOUGHT about several tweaks to tools, but until this stage the nearest I’ve got is reprofiling blade grinds and switching the scales on a Deluxe Tinker. I wanted to try – but of course was concerned with ruining whatever I touched. Plus I’d always got that many other distractions in the real world, the likelyhood of actually getting much done was pretty slim. Then THIS THREAD happened, and I ended up with a bunch of old SAK’s with MTO’s beady eyes peering in my direction – the pressure is on .....  :pok: :pok: :ahhh

I’ll blurt everything out in this thread – even the mundane stuff. For the experienced modders this’ll probably show what a noob I really am, but it might also be of interest/benefit to other less experienced types. Hope it doesn’t get too boring ...  :dwts:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Best of luck mate, I look forward to seeing what you do.  BTW I'd recommend starting with the simplest of mods, a layer removal.  So something like a Spartan with the opener layer removed (to make it a 91mm Gourmet).  At only one layer it's comparatively easy and you don't need to have any new brass stock as you can re-used the pins from the original SAK.  If you need the parts later on you can always strip it down again.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
10th Feb 2011

I get home from work to find a package has arrived for me. I know what it is – but not what it contains. I removed the outer packaging to find a large bubblewrapped bundle.  :o :D :D

After a while, I carefully managed to fight my way through the bubblewrap shell to reveal .... more bubble wrap.  :-\

It’s well wrapped no doubt about that – in fact I would hazard a guess that Neil is a big a fanatic of bubblewrap as he is SAK’s. For anyone out there who has concerns about TEOTWAWKI – ask him to prepare you for parcel post ... you’ll be completely nuke-proof in seconds.  :D :D :D

Inside I found 4 old SAK’s, a well wrapped pair (yep – more bubblewrap) of new ruby scales and an old pouch containing miscellaneous components. I spotted the backsprings and realised I never even considered the fact I’d have to match the tools to the springs as well as everything else.

I did a rough tot up of the tools:
5 main blades, 5 small blades, 4 corkscrews, 4 awls, 2 hooks, 4 bottle openers, 2 scissors, 1 disgorger/scaler, 1 saw, 1 file, 1 chisel, 1 mini driver, & 1 pin set

WOW Neil!! I know these were mainly old tools – but ... WOW  :ahhh :ahhh :cheers:

I started to draft up how I might use these tools in a new format ... but none of the kit I’d need to do any real work was as home. Work would have to wait till another day.
 :dd:

• Zombie Apprentice
Best of luck mate, I look forward to seeing what you do.  BTW I'd recommend starting with the simplest of mods, a layer removal.  So something like a Spartan with the opener layer removed (to make it a 91mm Gourmet).  At only one layer it's comparatively easy and you don't need to have any new brass stock as you can re-used the pins from the original SAK.  If you need the parts later on you can always strip it down again.

Cheers mate ... good advice ... but lost on me  >:D
Just got to upload a couple more posts ....

• Zombie Apprentice
12th Feb 2011

I went back over the list of tools, prised off the scales and studied some of the parts.  :dd:

Neil had said that these were SAK scrap – and in truth some of the items had seen better days. Heavily reground blades, sprained scissor springs, ineffective backsprings (broken or just gobbed up??) and the mini driver was rather gnarled – but some of the items were pretty mint too. I could either just pick the cream of the crop, or .....  :think:

I decided it best to order some more pinstock from Neil – the one and only time I’d tried peening pins on a knife (fixed blade I had made under the watchful eye of a professional knifemaker) the pins had been cut too long, and had work hardened and chipped out ... I needed spares .....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:43:05 PM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
20th Feb 2011

Playtime!!  :D

After working LONG hours (and knowing there are many more such days and weeks in store) I managed to make time to go to the boat where I had at least got a Dremel and a Swissgrip. Chances of finding much else in my shed at this moment in time were pretty slim ... comedy broom cupboard scenes spring to mind!  :twak:

First things first – break ‘em down. I strugged to drill the pins out without gnarling up the cup washers with not having either a vice or drill press accessible, and decided to cheat!  >:D

I’d have enough cup washers on the reverse sides for affixing the ruby scales that Neil had sent so I used the cut off wheels to form a cross in the end of the pins on each side. The cup washers came away in 4 pieces, and then I ground the pins flush. All I need to do now is  .... knock out the pins ..... and all my hammers are at work .... DOH!!!  :doh:

I packed everything up in an old chocolates tin and shot off down the moorings to blag a hammer, a small nail, and a cup of tea. I sat in my mates wheel house nattering away to him and two other boaters whilst stripping the knives down ... much to their bewilderment. As the first knife came apart I thoughtI need to take photos of which tools come with which backspring ... then thought “Nah – too boring”!  >:D >:D >:D

Knives disassembled, tea drunk and much gibberish discussed, I went back to the dingy to continue.

(The more observant will note I actually did one tool tweak prior to breaking them down – but for the purpose of the post we’ll pretend it all happened later)

I’d already decided a while ago that I’d be missing a trick if I didn’t get viscious with some of these parts – just putting together a knife from the parts supplied would be a bit tame. Let’s hack some stuff up. Stop worrying about producing a finished blade, and just experiment to see what does/doesn’t work. Unfortunately the notes I’d made for all the work were at home (DOH . :doh:.. again!!), but I knew what some of the tweaks I wanted to do were.

I’d also decided not to tell you guys the full plan for three reasons:
1)   I could backtrack at any given moment without you knowing something had gone smurftastically wrong or I’d just decided something was too taxing to attempt  :D
2)   We’ve got to have a bit of intrigue, right?  :D
3)   I didn’t want any comments to steer me off course before I’d finished. You guys are full of great ideas – but I’ll play around first and fluff my way through before you fill me in on what I should have done to avoid the mess I ended up with  :D :think: :salute:

Conspicuous in its absence from the list of tools was a Phillips – which means I’d have to make one! At this stage in my modding career it was safest to hack the end one of those single use screwdrivers – you know the ones you get in a pack of 20 for a couple of quid, and which strip the ends off just getting them out of the packet. I also wanted to try something with a jigsaw blade (trials to be done on an old one) , and an old carving gouge. I did some initial hacking for refinement later.

I also tried heating up one of the can openers to bend it outwards, and though I got it nice and red I still needed access to a vice – two pairs of pliers weren’t enough. All I succeeded in doing was wrecking the heat treatment ...  but I’ll have a go at fixing that later.

Sorry guys – tried to get a good pic of it glowing red – but juggling 2 pairs of piers, a piece of red hot metal, a mini blow torch and a camera inside a moving boat proved too much.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

After that I started roughing out some of the other tools.

By this stage I’d run out of both time in the day, and petrol in the generator.
Early days, and not much to show yet – but at least I made a start.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:03:18 AM by 50ft-trad »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
A page you might find handy showing the component parts of a Champion.  It should give you a good idea of which tools go with which backsprings.

http://www.sakcollector.com/Victorinox_Anatomy_of_a_Champion.pdf

• Zombie Apprentice
I know it all looks a bit rough and quite drastic - but there is actually a plan.
One part of it I haven't been able to figure out yet though is how to incorporate a small waterproof container in an SAK  :think: :think: :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
A page you might find handy showing the component parts of a Champion.  It should give you a good idea of which tools go with which backsprings.

http://www.sakcollector.com/Victorinox_Anatomy_of_a_Champion.pdf

EXCELLENT!!!  :cheers: :cheers:  :tu:

Cheers mate - logged for future reference  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
 :rofl:

I just read back through what I'd posted so far and it looks like I've gone a bit wayward with the loopy juice  :D
I'd better just give a bit of insight so you don't think I've just lost the plot.

In that last pic ....

(Image removed from quote.)

... the phillips speaks for itself. The can opener with the hook removed is an attempt at a blister pack / clam pack opener (early days - needs garlic). Also one of the very few annoyances I find with SAK's is that the bottle opener doesn't always work on the first swipe. I couldn't decide whether to make the hook deeper and hopefully more effective on the standard tool, or remove the blade section on the rarely used can opener and make a bottle opener with mini driver - so I settled for both!  :D :D

I'm also working on a wharncliffe/lambsfoot blade from a main blade which had a badly bent tip.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:13:15 AM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Very good so far! :tu: I'm impressed that you are jumping in at the deep end of the pool with this project. :salute: Altering tools and/or making them from scratch is no small endeavor. I can't wait for the next update. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Zombie Apprentice
Cheers mate  :cheers:

I figured attempting anything less would be disrespectful to Neil's giveaway, and maybe not in the spirit of the forum :D

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Excellent thread.

• Zombie Apprentice
21st Feb 2011

Thinks ......  :think:
Need to hold off on some of the elements ...... making an S30V blade from a Buck Hartsook is WAY too ambitious at this stage ..... plus blade is wrong shape .......tip would be too weak after reshaping ........ grinding magnesium with a Dremel is probably not a good idea after all - rethink ...... need to check backsprings against Gareth's map .... prob best to label for projects to ensure we have the right combo..... need to find materials supplier

Status Check:
Project 1: The LF ... ready for cleaning and assembly ... need external parts
Project 2: The DJ ... needs tool trials ... have a beer
Project 3: The WK ... design work needed ... will it be safe?
Project 4: The SK ... need materials & prototypes
Project 5: The CAK ... (Bad acronym) ... needs materials
Project 6: The FFTMJ ... need materials & compatibility checks
Project 7: The JNS ... is it actually a JNS? ... need materials and assembly trials

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Great one matey... I'll stick to this thread...

I'd like to do some mods also, but like you 0 experience, and unlike you less kohones...

Can't wait untill next update!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Excellent stuff so far.... looking forward to your updates too :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

th Offline Taninaree

Great job !    :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for all the support guys  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
22nd Feb 2011

I was once taught that there are four stages of learning ...

Unconsciously Incompetent: You've no idea how little you know
Consciously Incompetent: Once you start learning, you start to realise how much you don't know
Consciously Competent: Capable, but everything needs real deep concentration and thought
Unconsciously Competent: Everything comes naturally without any real thought at all

I'm just starting to peer through the door into Stage 2.

Tonight I had a look at Gareth's link on the exploded champion, and started pairing up tools with springs and laying out the projects I had planned ... and certain things were not as I envisioned. I expected incompatability between tools for example if I nicked an item off a different tool (non-SAK), but didn't expect the full limits on compatability between various SAK tools off the same. I also looked deeper into other elements I was considering and started to discover what some of the complications would actually be

The learning curve is just beginning ... and some things need to change ...

(I'll follow up with pics later)

EDIT: I was also mildly amused at the irony of how my tin of Eagle One Original Never-Dull Wadding Polish had gone rusty  :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:57:43 PM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Very interesting thread Trad  :salute:

Good luck mate!  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
... :popcorn: .... :dd: :2tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
If it's any help there's a list that Neil and I made up of all the totally compatible parts on page 5 of the "how to" thread.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9808.45.html

As you say it's actually pretty limited unless you start re-shaping and grinding.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
I'd imagined you'd go for making a simple Whittler first :D   But its great to see you getting stuck in there :tu:  Hopefully you'll figure some new tricks along the way that the rest of us can plagiarise emulate ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• Zombie Apprentice
I'd imagined you'd go for making a simple Whittler first :D   But its great to see you getting stuck in there :tu:  Hopefully you'll figure some new tricks along the way that the rest of us can plagiarise emulate ;)

Cheers mate.  :cheers:

I have got another update to post when I get time to upload pics etc ... but I've hit a bit of real world time shortage. I only get time to play at weekends (work long hours during the week). This weekend I've been prepping for my Brother's wedding amongst other stuff (he's asked me to be Master of Cerominies), next weekend is the Stag Do (beer and shotguns), and the weekend after it's the wedding.

Transmission will resume after this brief interlude  :P I'll get back onto this as soon as poss guys - bear with me , I haven't given up
 :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return

Cheers mate.  :cheers:

I have got another update to post when I get time to upload pics etc ... but I've hit a bit of real world time shortage. I only get time to play at weekends (work long hours during the week). This weekend I've been prepping for my Brother's wedding amongst other stuff (he's asked me to be Master of Cerominies), next weekend is the Stag Do (beer and shotguns), and the weekend after it's the wedding.

Transmission will resume after this brief interlude  :P I'll get back onto this as soon as poss guys - bear with me , I haven't given up
 :salute:

Hopefully not in quite that order! :o

:D  Congratulations to your brother BTW, we'll just about forgive him for the interruption.  ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Actually yes - but with a little snooze between  :rofl:

Beers and food of an evening, followed by clay pidgeon harassment the following day. Probably the worst thing you could think of doing with a hangover other than going to Alton Towers and spending the day on Nemesis and Oblivion.

I didn't do the planning ... :P

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Beer an Shotguns what could possibly go wrong?
Oh I see, beer....sleep....hangover....bucks fizz and shotguns  >:D

Good luck and congratulations to your brother!  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Congratulations to your brother and commiserations on your new appointment :P

I did the same to my bro.  Served him right for trying to dob me in to our folks for so much stuff when we were kids ;) :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• Zombie Apprentice
Cheers fellers  :cheers:

I'm quite honoured to be asked TBH - but I've not scripted anything yet, though I have a few plans up my sleeve ....  >:D

What with looking for and ordering gifts, finalising what I'm going to wear (and carry  :P), refining a financial management package (for a whole different commitment), and helping my other brother with job applications ... it's been a busy weekend ... and back to work tomorrow. I'll be making up for it next weekend though  :drink: :D :D :D
The only thing that's kept me sane is Rich Oak Glenfiddich and all you nutters on here  :P  :angel: :angel: :angel:  :D :D :D  :drink:  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD