Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Ebay auction ends...and now a question.

Splat · 14 · 1488

us Offline Splat

My Ebay auction ends...and now a question.
on: October 28, 2007, 04:46:16 PM
So I have my an electronic drum module, a Roland TD-20,  up for auction on Fleabay http://tinyurl.com/2zvsxq and the winning bidder sends me this little gem:

"I just won the auction a few minutes ago. However, I have just discovered that there is a huge problem for me. You did not list PayPal as payment option and there is no buyer's protection (up to $2,000). Due to the possibility of fraud on eBay (I have reported one case of fake offer to eBay which they have removed last week) I am unable to complete this transaction under the current circumstances. This is a clear no-no to me. If it can be avoided please do not leave me negative feedback, and let me know how we can work this out. Over the last weeks I have literally checked hundreds of offers, terms & conditions of items in various categories, as you can see in my feedback I am currently an active buyer. I am also a drummer, don't have the resource for a brand new drum set, and try to put together a used one, which is very difficult (and risky). So it can happen that due to stress factor I mistakenly did not check your payment t&c. I wouldn't have bidded then. Very sorry."

This is the first time this has happened to me. It's clear in the auction that Paypal is NOT accepted. What would you do? Thanks.
--
Splat
Splat

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: My Ebay auction ends...and now a question.
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:11:12 PM
#1 - Give him Negative feedback otherwise he has not learned a lesson. Sounds like a girly boy whimpering.

#2 - Give it to #2 bidder - Second Chance option
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:22:11 PM
Can I just ask wny you are not paypal?  This IMO makes such a big difference as with it in theory there is no risk to the buyer.

I would just register with paypal (takes seconds) then take the payment that way.  Then you are sorted for the future.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:24:01 PM
Seems pretty clear to me that there's no Paypal listed there.  If he was really that active an eBayer, and has spent weeks doing research, this seems like a pretty simple thing to screw up on.

I understand his unwillingness to send a money order as it offers the buyer no protection whatsoever.  I would suggest contacting him to see what kind of terms he'd be willing to make though before resorting to bad feedback, as I can pretty well guarantee he'll reciprocate.  Make it clear that you are paying large fees on this one because of the final cost of the auction, and you stand to lose a significant amount of money by offering it to the second place bidder, and the only way to ensure that you recover the costs involved is to place an unpaid strike, which for obvious reasons, neither of you would like.

Feel free to point out that you are a poor drummer as well and that's why you are selling these items, and you can't afford to take a hit like that.  With any luck, he'll offer to at least pay some kind of consolation fee to save himself getting dinged with bad feedback and/or an unpaid strike.  If you don't come to an arrangement with him in the next 24 hours, contact the #2 bidder as you don't want him to find another one and buy it instead, leaving you totally screwed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:47:20 PM
Can I just ask wny you are not paypal?  This IMO makes such a big difference as with it in theory there is no risk to the buyer.

Sure, the answer's simple. I've been screwed before by Paypal and won't deal with them anymore for anything over $100. Even with this self-imposed limit I still hate dealing with them, however sometimes it's the quickest way to pay for an item I may really need/want.
--
Splat
Splat

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:54:59 PM

Sure, the answer's simple. I've been screwed before by Paypal and won't deal with them anymore for anything over $100. Even with this self-imposed limit I still hate dealing with them, however sometimes it's the quickest way to pay for an item I may really need/want.
--
Splat

Fair enough!!  :D

A shame though as it is a good option to offer if you are a seller.
I'm back!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 09:55:09 PM
Yeah, I know, but they've gotten me twice now... Anyway, I've offered to this idiot the option of agreeing to not complete the transaction so I'm awaiting his reply.
--
Splat
Splat

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 10:34:44 PM
I actually would have gone with eodtech's suggestion. That way he learns a lesson, and will pay more attention in further transactions.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 10:37:06 PM
I actually would have gone with eodtech's suggestion. That way he learns a lesson, and will pay more attention in further transactions.

He would have definitely left bad feedback back though.
I'm back!!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 12:13:14 AM
Hopefully it all works out for you Splat :)

I'd also like to point out...

I'm a fairly active ebayer, and there have been a few times where I've gotten excited about auctions and have bid on them before I checked the payment options.  So I can see how this could happen... hopefully it's not just the guy having second thoughts about buying your stuff...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 04:49:46 PM
I filed an unpaid claim and this idiot agreed to a mutual withdrawal without feedback. The second-highest bidder is buying the item so not entirely a bad deal.
--
Splat
Splat

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 04:55:01 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you in a timely manner.Ebay can be a great place to pick up some bargains,but also a great place to meet morons,as you found to your chagrin.
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 05:12:50 PM
I filed an unpaid claim and this idiot agreed to a mutual withdrawal without feedback. The second-highest bidder is buying the item so not entirely a bad deal.
--
Splat

Glad it's all sorted.  Hope you haven't made too much of a loss though?  :-\
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 07:19:01 PM
All's well that ends well I supose :)

Its a shame there's no real alternative to ebay though  ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD