Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox ... what am I missing ... ?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Alox ... what am I missing ... ?
Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 04:26:05 AM
Thank you. Seems I recall you just got one yourself recently. :D

She wanted a friend too. Wenger Standard Issue was ordered from EDC Source - only because was informed these models are now no longer in production.
Have an awlsome attachment to awls for some obscure reason. Guess we all have a tool temptation.

I like the awl on those too.  I have an Alox Pioneer Rancher, and the awl is probably the best I've seen so far.  The Alox SAK awls are sharper and just seem to work best, in my experience anyway.  I have been eyeing the Wenger SI myself, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get one anytime right off.  I'm hoping they're still available when I can get one, but it doesn't look good :(
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 04:36:12 AM

She wanted a friend too. Wenger Standard Issue was ordered from EDC Source - only because was informed these models are now no longer in production.
Have an awlsome attachment to awls for some obscure reason. Guess we all have a tool temptation.

I like the awl on those too.  I have an Alox Pioneer Rancher, and the awl is probably the best I've seen so far.  The Alox SAK awls are sharper and just seem to work best, in my experience anyway.  I have been eyeing the Wenger SI myself, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get one anytime right off.  I'm hoping they're still available when I can get one, but it doesn't look good :(

Put one on the cc for fearing that I'd be too late. I remember a couple of years ago trying to find a Leatherman Juice KF4, and finding about the evils of eBay bids. Then along came a Charge TTi for $76 - shipping included.  :ahhh

Eventually found 8 new KF4's. Think some may remember that post.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #92 on: January 18, 2013, 05:01:17 AM

Put one on the cc for fearing that I'd be too late. I remember a couple of years ago trying to find a Leatherman Juice KF4, and finding about the evils of eBay bids. Then along came a Charge TTi for $76 - shipping included.  :ahhh

Eventually found 8 new KF4's. Think some may remember that post.  :D

I wish I could do the same, but I did that to secure my NIB PST II last week.  I like the KF4 as it seems to be the best balance of the Juices, but I would rather have scissors in place of the saw. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #93 on: January 18, 2013, 05:12:54 AM
On the ALOX Awls... wow, yeah, they are awesome.

I tested the standard backside reamer of the Vic Tinker on a 1/2" oak board, and was shocked at how well it worked. Slow, but it did it. Then, I got a Farmer, and... wow... even faster. Significantly faster. And it being an end tool instead of center tool makes it feel much more stable, in my opinion.

All the layers are also just a little thicker on the Farmer compared to the 91mm, and I assume the pins, being of something other than brass, would allow more force to be applied to torque on the flathead, awl, etc.

Offline peacemaker885

Reply #94 on: January 18, 2013, 08:21:20 PM
I mistakenly posted this on a wrong topic.  Here it is now in its proper place....

I have used and carried SAK's since the late 80's (Waiter and Fieldmaster) but have never really been into collecting them.  Its only when I started reading forums on edc and knives in the past year that I rediscovered the ALOX SAK.  I may have encountered them a couple of times before but never really paid much attention.  After reading a lot of posts I bought my first Farmer, followed by a Soldier and Classic.  Indeed they are thinner and their blades use thicker steel (Farmer) than the standard 91mm cellidor models I have.  They have a solid feel when held, and from the pictures, age handsomely. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet), I really don't have the same level of enthusiasm for them as compared to my cellidor ones which I rotate regularly.  I find myself using the tweezers every now and then as well as the toothpick (not on mouth!) for different things here and there.  Maybe someday I will learn to appreciate the ALOX models but right now, all they do is sit in my drawer.  I think its time they go to new homes....

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:20:00 PM by peacemaker885 »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #95 on: January 18, 2013, 08:52:20 PM
I was reading that other post and wondering if you'd intended it for this thread. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #96 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum, peacemaker885. :salute:

Offline peacemaker885

Reply #97 on: January 18, 2013, 09:19:18 PM
Thanks so much sir!  I really enjoy reading the posts and have learned  great many things.  Its an honor to be a part of such a great group of individuals.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #98 on: January 18, 2013, 09:27:43 PM
Thanks so much sir!  I really enjoy reading the posts and have learned  great many things.  Its an honor to be a part of such a great group of individuals.

Good to have you here, and well done not having an Alox addiction! :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #99 on: January 19, 2013, 04:29:35 AM
Welcome :salute:  And yes, your wallet will thank you.  I think mine may hate me a little at this point :D
K-Tibbs

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: January 19, 2013, 10:27:44 PM
All the layers are also just a little thicker on the Farmer compared to the 91mm, and I assume the pins, being of something other than brass, would allow more force to be applied to torque on the flathead, awl, etc.

Nickel silver, the material of the 93 mm pins, has pretty much the same mechanical properties as brass, i.e. the difference between different grades of brass is bigger than the difference between a typical grade of brass and a typical grade of nickel silver. You would need to know the specific grades used to say something definite.

The pins are thicker than on 91 mms though, 3.0 mm instead of 2.5 mm, so they should handle more force.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 10:35:20 PM

Nickel silver, the material of the 93 mm pins, has pretty much the same mechanical properties as brass, i.e. the difference between different grades of brass is bigger than the difference between a typical grade of brass and a typical grade of nickel silver. You would need to know the specific grades used to say something definite.

The pins are thicker than on 91 mms though, 3.0 mm instead of 2.5 mm, so they should handle more force.

Doesn't sound much does it, but if my maths is correct, that's a 44% increase in cross sectional area which makes a big difference

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 10:41:37 PM
Ya if you look at the makeup of nickel silver, its basically brass with some nickel in there.

The c260 brass I buy for mod work is

Copper (Cu)    68.5 - 71.5%
Zinc (Zn)    28.5 - 31.5%
Iron (Fe)    0.05% max
Lead (Pb)    0.07% max

The nickel silver is

Copper (Cu)    53.5 - 56.5%
Iron (Fe)    0.25% max
Manganese (Mn)    0.5% max
Nickel (Ni)    16.5 - 19.5%
Lead (Pb)    0.1% max
Zinc (Zn)    27%

Very similar feel working it the nickel silver and brass.  I do find nickel silver rod harder to hand peen though.  The thicker pins in the alox for sure add alot of strength though.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #103 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:38 PM
Hmm..I'm reading about alox in the "book of saks":

In 1957 Victorinox had introduced a 93mm Pioneer line with red alox scales, beginning with the Sturdy Boy; this served as the basis for the 1961 Soldier, which they actually manufacture untill 1962.

Sturdy Boy??  So the red alox Soldier wasn't the first alox model?
Anyone know more on this?

:think:

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: January 21, 2013, 06:27:09 AM
I saw a sturdy boy up on Le'bay about two months ago, still had the box too!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Reply #105 on: January 21, 2013, 06:46:49 AM
Hmm..I'm reading about alox in the "book of saks":

In 1957 Victorinox had introduced a 93mm Pioneer line with red alox scales, beginning with the Sturdy Boy; this served as the basis for the 1961 Soldier, which they actually manufacture untill 1962.

Sturdy Boy??  So the red alox Soldier wasn't the first alox model?
Anyone know more on this?

:think:

Not sure how accurate this is as it turned up in a search, and I are still a SAKnoob.

Item #: 40367 - Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei Red Alox Sturdy Boy "Pioneer" Swiss Army Knife - NIB Spendy though, $294.95, only one available.
¬ Outback in Idaho

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: January 21, 2013, 06:56:59 AM
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Reply #107 on: January 21, 2013, 07:08:52 AM
¬ Outback in Idaho

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #108 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:25 AM
Thanks guys. I did see those Sturdy Boys, but shouldn't they have the old style reamer with cut-out in the scale??  :think:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42316.15.html
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=18265.0
Edit: see links.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:51:31 AM by Wootz »

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #109 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11:21 PM
I'll admit to it too. I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by look of the Alox. 

If I did happen upon an Alox though, I would nurture and raise it as one of my own, nonetheless.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #110 on: January 21, 2013, 06:08:23 PM
I'm not a super-big fan of the colored Alox. I don't like the worn look they get. Sorry. But I LOVE the plain silver ones. Simple, elegant, almost upscale looking, IMO.

Also, thanks for all the info on pins on the 93mm line posted above, guys.  :salute:
I think the increase of pin strength sounds about right compared to the increased thickness of the layers. all combine to make the ALOX 93s an overall sturdier tool.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #111 on: January 21, 2013, 06:35:20 PM
I'm not a super-big fan of the colored Alox. I don't like the worn look they get. Sorry. But I LOVE the plain silver ones. Simple, elegant, almost upscale looking, IMO.

Also, thanks for all the info on pins on the 93mm line posted above, guys.  :salute:
I think the increase of pin strength sounds about right compared to the increased thickness of the layers. all combine to make the ALOX 93s an overall sturdier tool.

I too prefer the silver ones and dont like how the color ones look after some carry and use.  I will admit the color ones sure look nice when they are new though!

Here is my small silver collection.  Pioneer, Farmer, Harvester, Cadet II and Cadet.  (left to right).

:D
alox_set.jpg
* alox_set.jpg (Filesize: 219.28 KB)

us Offline stax

Reply #112 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:59 PM
I love worn colored alox!  Boba Fett's EDC.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #113 on: January 21, 2013, 07:55:31 PM
I love worn colored alox!  Boba Fett's EDC.

It can have that quality! :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #114 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:58 PM
Thanks guys. I did see those Sturdy Boys, but shouldn't they have the old style reamer with cut-out in the scale??  :think:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42316.15.html
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=18265.0
Edit: see links.

I did a search on SAK Wiki..unfortunatly with no good results.
Any collectionairs out there who knows the whole answer?
Edit: first one gets a gift as a thank you.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:08:31 PM by Wootz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD