Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My thoughts on the Wenger Motorist

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
My thoughts on the Wenger Motorist
on: February 24, 2011, 11:02:00 PM
But first ... What are you guys doing to me??!!

I’ve not been here two minutes and when I signed up my SAK inventory was a Tourist, a Deluxe Tinker and a Swissgrip. I’ve now got a Minigrip, undisclosed developments in the embryonic stage courtesy of Neil’s giveaway, and these four new arrivals:

Vic Silver Alox Rambler
Vic Ruby Manager
Vic Brushed Stainless Money Clip
Wenger Motorist

Is it just me, or is Wenger like the slightly eccentric relative of the suave, sophisticated and debonair Victorinox? Wenger to me is like a weird Uncle who amuses you with his madcap ramblings, and despite moments of sheer brilliance can be such a goofball at the same time. A kindly misunderstood genius, not always taken seriously, and who always seems to be wearing “those trousers”.

For me the Wenger Motorist highlights this quite nicely for me.

Here is a tool which was bought on a whim – saw it – thought “that’s different” – bought it. As each tool was unfolded I swayed between thinking “WOW” and “WHY”. There is so much that Wenger got right on this of piece kit in my opinion ... but not everything.

Knife blade ... tried and tested SAK blade - Great
Cap Lifter ... superior bottle opener, locking driver blade - FANTASTIC!!
Can Opener ... World’s finest – Excellent !!!
Scissors ... small, but perfectly formed & the serrations are VERY well done - Great
In-line Phillips Driver ... a little stumpy maybe, but locking and central enough to not be awkward - Marvellous
Corkscrew ... it’s a classic ... it’s a winner
Metal File ... it’s a ... SAK file ...nice, but limited
Nail file ... same story ... but do we really need both?
Pliers ... “MUM – Uncle Wenger’s drinking the paint thinners again!!” Adjustable – great move, Profile and aesthetics – very nice, Bypass Cutters – the offset holes are cool ... so why another set at the base of the pliers in the conventional place, Crimper – applying one lever to multiply forces on another lever – sheer genius, Overall size, fit’s the tool nicely ... a bit thinner than the Vic equivalent but no major issue, Tang – half the thickness at the base where much of the forces will act ... “MUM – he’s peeing in the fish tank!!”
Awl ... AHHH ... not much thought there – obviously the morning after the paint thinners, but at least it is a GPPT (General Purpose Pokey Thing)
Magnifier ... stylish, useful, bonus points for incorporating a mini driver on its snout ... but WHY is it mounted on such a huge slab of metal ... what’s the rest of it for ... WHY ??
Wrench ... Ermmm ... OK, might be useful to some folks ... if you hadn’t put it halfway down the tool width. How are you going to get anywhere near the nut to be tightened?
Toothpick and Tweezers ... yeah ... well, OK – they tried

This tool looks like it should outperform my deluxe tinker in most of the comparable tools ... but 7 layes ... and all that weight? To me the wrench, the inclusion of two files, and the monolith supporting the magnifier are an unnecessary burden.

I’d have liked to have seen a small blade instead of the nail file, lose the wrench, shorten the magnifier and position opposite the Phillips (ala Explorer etc). Well, it’s now discontinued ... maybe the general market thought the same way as me. But now there only remains one question ...

Which is the bigger sin, risking trying to dismantle and modify a piece of SAK history make it into a tool I will enjoy using, or leaving it as is and denying it the use it was built for?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: My thoughts on the Wenger Motorist
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:31 PM
Not having one myself I think you pretty much just nailed the Wenger on the spot.. :D
Go get some more and do another...  :pok:  ;)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22:35 PM
Personally, I think the Alligator wrench is quite good.  Only wish it went 1 or 2 nut sizes larger.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:35:31 PM
Personally, I think the Alligator wrench is quite good.  Only wish it went 1 or 2 nut sizes larger.

Just my first impressions of it - but the only time I ever seem to need a small spanner is in tight spaces.
Is your's a Motorist too or something else? Where is it on the width of the body?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:49:29 PM
Not having one myself I think you pretty much just nailed the Wenger on the spot.. :D
Go get some more and do another...  :pok:  ;)

Cheers mate  :tu:

As for other purchases, I've got a Buck X-Tract on the way I need to play with and analyse first - but book me an advanced place at SAK rehab anyway, just in case I lapse  :P

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:52 AM

Just my first impressions of it - but the only time I ever seem to need a small spanner is in tight spaces.
Is your's a Motorist too or something else? Where is it on the width of the body?
I have an S557 which has the pliers and wrench and a locking main blade (very nice!) and a Large Mountain bike that has the wrench and a separate detachable multisized wrench  (really quite tricky!)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:35:26 AM
I sort of agree with your characterization of Wenger, but I didn't really agree with your examples to back it up.

One thing I think Wenger does which is strange is drop a product or innovation too quickly especially when it comes to advertising.  New knives and ideas take a while to catch on and I think Wenger in the past has moved on too quickly from some models and does not keep enough information publicly available.  I see some changes, but I still see alot of the same when it comes to information.  I do think they are pretty good innovators for sure, Victorinox is much more conservative, but that is OK to and has it's place. 

I remember it being said in the past that the US, and maybe one other market, was largely responsible for all the different colors in the Victorinox scales; prior to SABI, Vic was happy with red and black.  I'm not sure if that's the entire story; it appears in the past though a corporate customer could actually "own" a color.  That's pretty amazing. 

You like the Wenger can-opener, but I really hate it and consider it the Vic hand-me-down it is.  However that is purely based on looks and limited functionality, not on how well it works as a canopener.  I've never tried it as a canopener, but this weekend I'm going to try it, last weekend I opend a big can of soup with the Vic one which does not work quite as good as you get to the end rim as the lid is so loose at that point it tend to just bend inward and no cut.   I didn't by many Wenger knibes because of the canopener.  Kind of crazy I guess. 

I just got a nice metal/leather scaled Wenger at a great price, but I'm thinking of makin' a Fraken'mod as I remove a layer and swap the canopener for a Vic one... or have Neil do something really fun with it. Such great scales, but...

I still prefer Vic, but I've been slowly increasing my Wenger collection.  My favorites right now are probably the New Ranger 172 (my most used wenger, but need a Ranger 13), Mike Horn Ranger, and the best Wenger ever; the Minithor. 

I like the small Wenger luxury knives as well, because at 65mm the larger size makes them look better than most Vic Luxury 58mm knives; Vic has a couple winners though.  Wenger luxury knives on average are also MUCH more luxury than the Vic knives; and if your going luxury, go all the way.

Thanks for the review of that model.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:55:31 AM
Great review! Is the car image missing from your knife or is it just worn off?
The older knives have an embossed silver image of an old roadster while the newer ones are just printed on.
Motorist.jpg
* Motorist.jpg (Filesize: 63.75 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:52 PM
I sort of agree with your characterization of Wenger, but I didn't really agree with your examples to back it up.

One thing I think Wenger does which is strange is drop a product or innovation too quickly especially when it comes to advertising.  New knives and ideas take a while to catch on and I think Wenger in the past has moved on too quickly from some models and does not keep enough information publicly available.  I see some changes, but I still see alot of the same when it comes to information.  I do think they are pretty good innovators for sure, Victorinox is much more conservative, but that is OK to and has it's place. 

I remember it being said in the past that the US, and maybe one other market, was largely responsible for all the different colors in the Victorinox scales; prior to SABI, Vic was happy with red and black.  I'm not sure if that's the entire story; it appears in the past though a corporate customer could actually "own" a color.  That's pretty amazing. 

You like the Wenger can-opener, but I really hate it and consider it the Vic hand-me-down it is.  However that is purely based on looks and limited functionality, not on how well it works as a canopener.  I've never tried it as a canopener, but this weekend I'm going to try it, last weekend I opend a big can of soup with the Vic one which does not work quite as good as you get to the end rim as the lid is so loose at that point it tend to just bend inward and no cut.   I didn't by many Wenger knibes because of the canopener.  Kind of crazy I guess. 

I just got a nice metal/leather scaled Wenger at a great price, but I'm thinking of makin' a Fraken'mod as I remove a layer and swap the canopener for a Vic one... or have Neil do something really fun with it. Such great scales, but...

I still prefer Vic, but I've been slowly increasing my Wenger collection.  My favorites right now are probably the New Ranger 172 (my most used wenger, but need a Ranger 13), Mike Horn Ranger, and the best Wenger ever; the Minithor. 

I like the small Wenger luxury knives as well, because at 65mm the larger size makes them look better than most Vic Luxury 58mm knives; Vic has a couple winners though.  Wenger luxury knives on average are also MUCH more luxury than the Vic knives; and if your going luxury, go all the way.

Thanks for the review of that model.

I appreciate the comments  :cheers:.  My Wenger exposure is pretty minimal as detailed in the OP - and I'm sure there will be changes to some of my viewpoints over time. Funnily enough - I think I prefer Wengers can opener for both looks and functionality, but personal taste will always come into the equation 
:shrug:
One other model I'm determined to get at some point is a version of the pocket tool chest or Evo 88 (IIRC). Felinevet had a brushed stainless version listed at his store, but he's out of stock at the moment. As regards the more obscure models - I do love Wengers innovation for "speSmurfpillst" SAK's ... though I would not have call for them, I think it's great that a company  is really pushing the boat out to give people the tools they need without worrying too much about them not being everyday guy compatible.

Great review! Is the car image missing from your knife or is it just worn off?
The older knives have an embossed silver image of an old roadster while the newer ones are just printed on.

Cheers! I thought the same about the logo - no real wear on the scales though, so I'm wondering if the scales have been repalced at some point

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:47:58 PM
This thread reminded me how much I like my S557, so it's in the EDC rotation for the next while :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%