Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Saying SAK.

ca Offline ufox9al

Re: Saying SAK.
Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 01:50:41 AM
Your a moderator, quickly delete these posts and we'll act as if nothing has happened.  ;) :D
Ah but with great power comes the temptation to use it dishonestly, far better to not temp thine soul with the missuse of power :D
Come on! Edit it back! We were just messing with you!  :angel:  >:D
-------
Alexei

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 11:24:48 AM
Your a moderator, quickly delete these posts and we'll act as if nothing has happened.  ;) :D
Ah but with great power comes the temptation to use it dishonestly, far better to not temp thine soul with the missuse of power :D
Too late, you've hurt my feeling's now :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 11:32:48 AM
Too late, you've hurt my feeling's now :D
Hooligan  you have no regard for what a sensitive soul young Michael is .You should be ashamed :D

Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 11:46:20 AM
Thanks Jock, I'm touched by your concern, if only there were a few more people like you on this forum, and less heartless brutes :D :D

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 01:08:40 PM
Thanks Jock, I'm touched by your concern, if only there were a few more people like you on this forum, and less heartless brutes :D :D
For unconditional love go to SOSAK :P Here your spelling will be corrected ruthlessly :twak:
-------
Alexei

Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 01:11:17 PM
For unconditional love go to SOSAK :P Here your spelling will be corrected ruthlessly :twak:
:D :D good one mate :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 06:54:14 PM

Us Brits have got to stick together mate.  :)
I'm back!!

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 06:55:22 PM

Us Brits have got to stick together mate.  :)
To right we have, remember the dunkirk spirit lads :)

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 02:37:26 AM
10 years later and I think it's still a relevant question.

When I read SAK in my mind I read "sack" and I've found myself saying "sack" quite a few times, especially when discussing SAK's... ya know?

What do y'all say?

( I love reading these old threads btw)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:00 AM
I say "sack".
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 03:12:46 AM
Eh, right.

I say Swiss Army Knife - Initialisms and Acronyms should really only be used when you're writing about something and the full name becomes tedious.

People who use that sort of jargon is speech are mostly knob jockeys.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 03:14:25 AM
Eh, right.

I say Swiss Army Knife - Initialisms and Acronyms should really only be used when you're writing about something and the full name becomes tedious.

:rofl: :rofl:  knob jockeys....  makes sense.

I definitely always say United Kingdom and NEVER UK  .... same thing with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.... and I talk about them A LOT.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline cody6268

Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 03:37:58 AM
I use the abbreviation here a lot, but typically, I just say it as Swiss Army Knife,,

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 03:46:08 AM

Hey, that's my job!   :whistle:
IMG_0345.jpeg
* IMG_0345.jpeg (Filesize: 115.88 KB)
IMG_0273.jpeg
* IMG_0273.jpeg (Filesize: 84.76 KB)
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #44 on: May 16, 2017, 04:01:51 AM
Impressive thread resurrection El C!  :tu:

I almost always say pocket knife, never "sack" or S-A-K in the real world, but sometimes I will say Swiss Army knife if it becomes relevant in conversation, which honestly, is not very often. But people who know me know I always have my pocket knife on me, and for many years it has always been a Swiss Army knife.  :)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:26 AM

I almost always say pocket knife, never "sack" or S-A-K in the real world, but sometimes I will say Swiss Army knife if it becomes relevant in conversation, which honestly, is not very often. But people who know me know I always have my pocket knife on me, and for many years it has always been a Swiss Army knife.  :)

I probably talk about Swiss Army Knives more than most people, and probably more than is healthy....  so I would never say "sack" to most people because they would probably have no idea what the hell I was talking about.  But, in my videos for instance, I say "Swiss Army Knife" 20+ times so I found myself just wanting to say "sack" sometimes in the interest of time but it's probably in bad taste.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 04:32:49 AM

I probably talk about Swiss Army Knives more than most people, and probably more than is healthy....  so I would never say "sack" to most people because they would probably have no idea what the hell I was talking about.  But, in my videos for instance, I say "Swiss Army Knife" 20+ times so I found myself just wanting to say "sack" sometimes in the interest of time but it's probably in bad taste.

I have met people who to them it's just a Swiss Army knife...

Just?  :twak:  :facepalm:

That's why I like it here.  :D  :cheers:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 05:17:19 AM
In Dutch, we say "Zwitsers zakmes". No acronyms, no army reference.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 05:24:39 AM
In Dutch, we say "Zwitsers zakmes". No acronyms, no army reference.

I can get behind that.

+1 for Zwitsers zakmes  :tu: :cheers:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 06:49:19 AM
I almost always say pocket knife, never "sack" or S-A-K in the real world

I do this too, and I also always say "leatherman" if someone has a Gerber, and "Gerber" if someone has a leatherman, because I want to look like reading about every multi in the world is definitely NOT something I do with my spare time.  ::) :D

I definitely always say United Kingdom and NEVER UK  .... same thing with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.... and I talk about them A LOT.

I always say the full name of departments like that, it gives the conversation so much more gravitas.

"Didja hear about the FBI on the TV last night?" or "I've been informed that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is dealing with an incident. I believe it may have been on the television" then I stroke my well groomed moustache and take a few thoughtful sucks on my pipe, so people know I'm super serious about things.

There's a general principle in naming things - If the acronym of whatever it is sounds better than the actual name, the actual name is rubbish and you should try again.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 07:02:40 AM
Swiss Army Knives Facsimile Transmission vs SAKs Fax  :climber: 📠 

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:51 AM
Or an idea for an emporium selling Swiss Army Knives, chips n dips, bags and comfortable trousers: SAK's,Snacks, Packs 'n' Slacks.

Sacks all the way when talking to those in the know, but the full monty when liasing with the muggles.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #52 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:13 PM
I read sack when I see SAK. But I don't say it.
I did try calling it a sack, but got weird looks.

Usually I call it a 'zakmes' (pocket knife) which it is generally called around here.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: May 16, 2017, 12:37:31 PM
Here it is just Sackmesser (pocket knife), you have to specify if it is not a SAK.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 01:11:58 PM
I almost always say pocket knife, never "sack" or S-A-K in the real world

I do this too, and I also always say "leatherman" if someone has a Gerber, and "Gerber" if someone has a leatherman, because I want to look like reading about every multi in the world is definitely NOT something I do with my spare time.  ::) :D

There is probably a thread about this somewhere. I think I called all MT's Leathermans whan that's all there were, which wasn't very long, but it's still the most recognizable way to describe them. I have heard myself calling my SwissTools "MT, you know like a Leatherman" to layfolk (muggles, lol)...  :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:13:03 PM by twiliter »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 01:59:49 PM
Here it is just Sackmesser (pocket knife), you have to specify if it is not a SAK.

And, is there a fine if it's not a SAK?  :P :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #56 on: May 16, 2017, 02:12:48 PM
Reading the forums I hear "sack" in my head when the term in question appears in its abbreviated form and I also write SAK thinking that everyone here understands what is being mentioned. I think I've never had to say "Swiss Army knife" in my life in a conversation in English.

Over here, any folding knife, locking or not, is commonly called a "souyAs" (origin unknown) if no other explanation is needed and the same goes for SAKs only with the adjective Swiss added in front. I do freak out a little bit and correct people when they call a knock-off or something that isn't a SAK a SAK (does that make sense?).
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #57 on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:35 PM
I do freak out a little bit and correct people when they call a knock-off or something that isn't a SAK a SAK (does that make sense?).

Yes.

I have also heard myself asking people "why do you bother carrying that piece of junk?", when it's not a quality folder, MT, or SAK.  :D

Improve your carry, improve your life peeps...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:37:47 PM by twiliter »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 06:31:21 PM
In the USA, it seems the term Swiss Army knife is more of a cliche that can be used to refer to a number of things. Like "this is the Swiss Army knife of man bags" Or "Pro Tools is the Swiss Army knife of audio editing"

in my experience it seems like they don't get much respect here and people prefer large locking single blade quick release folders or whatever or the Leatherman style tools. :facepalm:

I think when people hear the term pocket knife here they probably think of an old timer or something like that, so you definitely have to specify that Swiss Army knife also with the mature American sensibility the term sack automatically goes to scrotum. For this reason, I do avoid it in normal conversations with "the muggles" As Magentus so eloquently put.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #59 on: May 16, 2017, 06:51:12 PM

in my experience it seems like they don't get much respect here and people prefer large locking single blade quick release folders or whatever or the Leatherman style tools. :facepalm:

Is this a bad thing? LM and Case is to the U.S. as Mora is to Sweden or SAKS is to Switzerland.
Or did I miss something? Probably that.

Also, I only use SAK here. But when around people,  I use Victorinox or Wenger Swiss Army Knife.
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44