Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bear Grylls Survival Series

Chako · 66 · 18013

gb Offline Malarauko

Re: Bear Grylls Survival Series
Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:01 PM
The important thing to remember about these tools is you are guaranteed to survive in an extreme situation if you are carrying one...
you'd hope so, since they are also the tools that are most likely to get you into a survival situation in the first place...
(ultra cool sarcastic smiley a mix of 8) and >:D)
The Bear Grylls tool is so hardcore you can kill a grizzly bear with it.... using only the  screwdriver.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 06:00:52 PM
The important thing to remember about these tools is you are guaranteed to survive in an extreme situation if you are carrying one...
you'd hope so, since they are also the tools that are most likely to get you into a survival situation in the first place...
The Bear Grylls tool is so hardcore you can kill a grizzly bear with it.... using only the  screwdriver.

You can chop down a 60 foot redwood with the can opener 8)
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 08:48:29 PM

You can chop down a 60 foot redwood with the can opener 8)

Or you can survive drowning by just getting it out of your pocket and letting it sink down...  :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:12 PM
The very last thing I need in a survival situation outdoors is a MT. Seriously guys, I like trekking and outdoor trips, but even if I always carry a MT becuase it is a habit, I NEVER needed one. When I think of outdoor and survival tools I think of:

A good fixed blade!!!
A SAK with a saw and canopener and maybe an awl
An axe
A folding shovel
A folding saw
A large heavy duty folding knife
Etc.

And this is a ranking, the fixed blade is all you really need, but adding a SAK is better. adding the axe close to perfect. The rest is just for showing you tools I'd prefer over a MT in that situation.

I will not need pliers in the woods. I will not need a file. (OK, maybe to resharpen my fixed knife). I will not need screwdrivers. And most likely no scissors.

The extra weight of a MT compared to a SAK is not worth it outdoors. Yes, you can cut an arm of if needed but I guess Mr. 127 hours might have prefered using a sharp knife instead
  :)

Don't get me wrong, I love MTs. But a MT is no survival tool, maybe it would be helpful in cases of urban desasters, but not in the woods.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline Cleanser

Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:07 AM
The very last thing I need in a survival situation outdoors is a MT. Seriously guys, I like trekking and outdoor trips, but even if I always carry a MT becuase it is a habit, I NEVER needed one. When I think of outdoor and survival tools I think of:

A good fixed blade!!!
A SAK with a saw and canopener and maybe an awl
An axe
A folding shovel
A folding saw
A large heavy duty folding knife
Etc.

And this is a ranking, the fixed blade is all you really need, but adding a SAK is better. adding the axe close to perfect. The rest is just for showing you tools I'd prefer over a MT in that situation.

I will not need pliers in the woods. I will not need a file. (OK, maybe to resharpen my fixed knife). I will not need screwdrivers. And most likely no scissors.

The extra weight of a MT compared to a SAK is not worth it outdoors. Yes, you can cut an arm of if needed but I guess Mr. 127 hours might have prefered using a sharp knife instead
  :)

Don't get me wrong, I love MTs. But a MT is no survival tool, maybe it would be helpful in cases of urban desasters, but not in the woods.

How is survival any fun if you are properly prepared? :)

I think in the USA there is a growing trend for companies to call everything survival gear or tactical gear. A multitool could be useful for camping, especially if your camping plans include fishing. However, camping isn't the same as survival.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 01:01:01 AM
Cutlerylover's review of the Bear Grylls' Scout knife by Gerber.  I thought it was kind of funny that even though they're trying to push Gerber product, the picture on the packaging is of Bear Grylls with his custom.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cutlerylover?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/15/24S3SpIl7RY

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 05:34:56 AM
I think a real like survival situation will involve equipment. Motors, hand tools and equipment are everywhere. If there was an emergency that required survival of the fittest we would have access to equipment and a multi would help.
If I am in the woods for survival I would still want a multi. I prefer a straight and a serrated blade. Straight for wood work and skinning and serrated for cutting meet or weeds and vines that can be lashed together for rope. My uncle is into making rope from plant life. I carry a water filter and a steel cup at least if not a stove when back packing for multiple days and the pliers are helpful for boiling water and cutting zip ties. I keep a couple zip ties for back pack repairs. I have even used the awl and can opener when carving spoons. The can opener can be used to strike a flint or cut wax cotton balls if you prefer not to use the knife blade. I can't sat I use the drivers much.
I do value a fixed blade an at times depending on my mood will pick that over a multi.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:13 PM
I seriously doubt Gryliss chose any of these tools....Gerber probably showed up at his doorstep with a wheelbarrow full of cash for his endorsement deal.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 04:47:27 AM
I wish they'd show up at my house with a wheelbarrow full of cash :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:56 AM
Amen to that.  :P

Well I've been wanting to get an LMF II for a while now, and as far as I'm concerned, the Bear Grylls knife is just about the same thing only with a different shape handle, and it comes with a whistle and a fire-starter. On top of this, it's around $20 cheaper. I could care less if some British showman's initials are engraved on the thing: I'd be using it to gut fish and cut rope and build fires. If it does everything I want it to do, why should I care how it's advertised?

Not trying to be a party pooper.  :P Just food for thought.
[

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 05:20:15 PM

The J-sews Survival Series :dd:

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 12:40:01 AM
i think the whole bear line is a joke if you look at the packedge one of the knives comes in hes not even holding the knife in the pic its the origanl on that he started out with
watch your step

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 12:45:07 AM
 :twak:
joke.jpg
* joke.jpg (Filesize: 49.74 KB)
watch your step

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 03:59:02 PM
Amici,
Another fact about the Bear Grylls fixed blade, I've read and seen some reviews about it online and all of them concluded that it was $%*@ since it literally fell apart after some of the simplist of chores conducted in the field, specifically battoning where the handle separated from either the pommel or the choil..

Just another reason I have never been a fan of Gerber products made outside the USA.. I hope the same fate doesn't befall Les Stouds new knife after he partnered up with Helle designing it, especially after the nearly $200.00 USD price it currently commands online!

Cheers,
Serge 
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 04:26:04 PM
I don't think the US has a total monopoly on quality knives sergemaster, Helle are a very respectable Norwegian knife manufacturer and I have little doubt it'll be an excellent knife.  Now whether it's worth the extra $$ you'd pay for a standard Helle knife remains to be seen.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:01 AM
Gareth I think you misunderstood what I meant, I shall explain.. Gerber is a US company like many others that once made their products here in the USA which were top notch and high quality.. Then came the advent of NAFTA and other boneheaded trade agreements and allot of these companies like Gerber moved their production overseas vis a vie, China.. Since the genie has been let out of the bottle, many if not most all US companies outsourced their production overseas, hence why most Gerber products stink for various reasons since they moved their procuction overseas..

I highly doubt Helle would ever do so, like most European cutlery companies, they attempt to hold on to and cherish their workers and industries not allowing them to be given away moved to China and other places..

As for the price, one of the negatives for buying a product made in Europe, but I'm sure it will be worth every penny and provide years of service than if it was made in China with a stencil of Les Strouds signature on the blade!

Cheers,
Serge 
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 05:30:40 PM
Amen to that.  :P

Well I've been wanting to get an LMF II for a while now, and as far as I'm concerned, the Bear Grylls knife is just about the same thing only with a different shape handle, and it comes with a whistle and a fire-starter. On top of this, it's around $20 cheaper. I could care less if some British showman's initials are engraved on the thing: I'd be using it to gut fish and cut rope and build fires. If it does everything I want it to do, why should I care how it's advertised?

Not trying to be a party pooper.  :P Just food for thought.

Thatis very true and I believ you have brought up an excellent point..No matter who puts thier Name on a Product It is up to the End User to look hard at said product abd decide if it meets his or her needs..My Oldest Watches Man Versus Wild and I asked him if he wanted the Bear knife/Parang for his Birthday..he thought about it and said "Nope"..He then went on to tell me that the Old Gerber BMF and Fixed Blade Gator I gave him were just as good in his book,but he was bugging me for a Wenger Standard Issue
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:33 PM
Not trying to cause a stir, but if we are going to claim that Gerber is a US company that used to make their own stuff in the US, let's remember that traditionally, Gerber didn't make their own stuff.

Joe Gerber was an ad man, selling ad space in a local paper.  He bought some kitchen knives from a client one year to give to other clients as a thank you at Christmas time.  The knives went over so well that he bought more of them for resale, and started buying other knives from other makers, and was actually selling other people's products under his own name.

So, historically, all Gerbers were rebrands, and I have a feeling Joe would have bought from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc had that option been available back then.  Any significant credibility that Gerber has amassed over the years is based on in house design and development, not from any initial understanding of knives.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #48 on: June 18, 2011, 01:59:49 AM
Not trying to cause a stir, but if we are going to claim that Gerber is a US company that used to make their own stuff in the US, let's remember that traditionally, Gerber didn't make their own stuff.

Joe Gerber was an ad man, selling ad space in a local paper.  He bought some kitchen knives from a client one year to give to other clients as a thank you at Christmas time.  The knives went over so well that he bought more of them for resale, and started buying other knives from other makers, and was actually selling other people's products under his own name.

So, historically, all Gerbers were rebrands, and I have a feeling Joe would have bought from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc had that option been available back then.  Any significant credibility that Gerber has amassed over the years is based on in house design and development, not from any initial understanding of knives.

Def

same with there axes now there "gerber axes" are over priced fiskers i got a fisker for $20 less than the gerber the only diff is a high vis ornge handle
watch your step

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: June 18, 2011, 08:10:59 AM
After all, Gerber is owned by Fiskars, and so it is an American company in Finnish property.

Anyways, most knife companies import knives. Spyderco does only very few models in Golden, Colorado. Most are from Japan, but they also have knives from Taiwan, Italy and China. BTW: I like the Japanese made best, the US models are not as good in terms of built quality imho. Still, even a Chinese made Spyderco is an amazing knife!

I´m not sure if any Cold Steel knives are US made, all I ever saw were imported.

Benchmade dropped the Asian-made red line, but still has imported blades as H6K or Harley brands.

Kershaw: Knives from everywhere! Japanese most, some Chinese, ...

Buck: USA and China

Some of the imported knives are better than most US made knives. The Japanese made amazing knives, other countries like Germany (Solingen), France (Thiers) or Italy (Maniago) have cities that are famous for knifemaking, and old, well respected companies that are located there. I can not see something like that in the USA, every maker seems to stand alone, no "city of blades". OK, nothing matters me less than a city of origin, but I think it´s quite unfair to say "US made knives are better", if in fact there are companies making just as good if not better knives all over the world.

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 03:35:55 PM
Stand clear all! With it's mighty saw, even the tallest oak is no match for the Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool. :salute:

::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 08:01:38 PM
Stand clear all! With it's mighty saw, even the tallest oak is no match for the Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool. :salute:

What exactly are you supposed to cut with that?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011, 09:20:30 PM

Bonsai..?  :P :P

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:09 PM

Chopsticks!
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:55 PM

Chopsticks!

Okay, two good answers I guess.  Now to the even more pressing question - how do bonsais or chopsticks help you drink your own piss?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:31 PM

Chopsticks!

Okay, two good answers I guess.  Now to the even more pressing question - how do bonsais or chopsticks help you drink your own piss?
It can't, but it's gotta make drinking from a camel carcass a whole lot easier.. :P :P

us Offline Mike 208

Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011, 11:16:54 PM
Is it just me, or have the BG multitools begun to disappear?  At one time, the BG multis were about all I could find; Now, I don't see them anymore (this also includes the "standard" Suspension).  Has Gerber slowed/ceased production of these tools, or are they just selling really fast?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 11:20:40 PM
Perhaps Free replacement for warranty claims is consuming their entire production capacity? :P

ca Offline JackNate

Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 02:36:05 AM
How is the large flathead driver on the compact? Could I use it on the slotted bolt of a hose clamp? Or to adjust the pressure on one of those valves they have on public urinals/toilets? I'm actually interested in getting this tool since its rather discreet and replacable with a good assortment of drivers. I just wish the flathead would be as capable as a SAK one.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Bear Grylls Survival Series
Reply #59 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:41 AM
Bear?? Who's that? Lol. Not my cup o tea.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%