Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife

Dunc · 75 · 10734

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife
on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:34 PM
I was really looking forward to this as its something different from Multitools and I fancied a change and the chance to research and learn about a knife I know very little about .
  It came this morning and I only ordered it yesterday  :o  Well done Heinnie Haynes  :tu: All boxed up nice it was too .

So let me take you on a little photo tour then  :D

I thought if today was going to be about big blades then I might as well start as I mean to go on and use my large Sebenza to open it with ...

The box has the design from the original WW11 blueprints on it which I thought was a nice touch.

Inside the box we have the knife , sheath and a historical leaflet all about the knife along with some packaging .

The blade had a cardboard sleeve on it for protection .

My first thoughts were " this things smurfing huge  :o "  I knew it was going to be a foot long but theres nothing like seeing something in the flesh and this didn't disappoint.

and here it is with a Buck 110 , Large Chris Reeve Sebenza and a LM PST

The sheath is rough and ready and workmanlike and has the US Marine logo along with USMC and KA-BAR stamped into it .

So back to the knife . The finish was very good and I was impressed with the quality . There are no gaps where the leather handle spacers meet the guard and pommel and the leather handle feels good in the hand with almost a solid woodlike feel .

The blade has USMC on the tang and KA-BAR OLEAN N.Y. on the other side

The blade goes all the way throught the handle and is secured by a metal Cap which is pinned on .It all feels very tight and secure .

The blade has a fuller cut into it which I believe is sometimes called a "Blood Groove" . Its a bit of a myth about it allowing blood to flow out and so preventing any suction and make the knife easily removed from the victim . Its actually there to reduce weight and more importantly give added strength .By removing some or the metel you create additional surfaces at different angles ( or so I am told ) .

The blade wasn't shaving sharp so I put it on the sharpmaker .At 7 inches ( blade only ) its certainly the biggest knife I have put on the sharpmaker . I soon realised that the grind while good was a little uneven and one side wasn't 20 degrees like the other . I soon overcame this and it now shaves hair with ease  :D Although due to the tip being very thick I couldn't get that as sharp as the rest of the blade . Is this normal thing to do on a knife this big ? i.e have the tip a little less kean then the rest of the blade as its more prone to blunting /chipping .

What an awsome knife  :D  I would love to hear any stories you guys have about the Ka-Bars .

The only trouble is I keep walkng round the house singing kay bar kay bar  :rofl:

Star Wars Gay Bar

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:11:55 PM
WOW!  That was quick service.  You didn't even have time to look forward to its arrival!

It's a beauty Dunc.  I'm glad you're happy w/it and I know I would be.
- Terry

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:27:09 PM
Ya' know,

That style of knife has never appealed to me.  Don't know why, but there it is.  :-\

(Like the Sebenza however...)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:59:39 PM
Nice knife mate - given the same choice you were before bought it, I'd have done the same  ;)

It does look a very impressive bit of kit - and well made. I can't tell you how long I've been hovering over one of these and/or one of the J Nowills UK MOD survival knives and/or a genuine Khukri ... several years probably ... and I have absolutely no use whatsoever for any of them ... they're just  :drool: 8)

The fullering on big blades certainly helps with the balance if they're only partially ground like this - making them quicker in hand for obvious reasons. Removing metal never really makes things stronger (unless of course removing a sharp corner or defect) but can boost strength vs weight - much lighter, but only marginally weaker - that's my take on it anyway. Interesting point on the stacked handle feeling wood like - I've never handled one and wondered how they would feel in hand

As for the tip - I still prefer to keep edge sharpness over the full cutting length - even on my 20" machette. The strength/weakness will come from the design behind the edge rather than the edge itself.

If it wasn't supposed to be sharp and dangerous at the end, it wouldn't have a clip blade :pok: :D

Thanks for the review mate  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:03 PM
I'm not really into fixed blades, but I can see why you bought it..  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:08:30 PM
That’s a whopper  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:22:28 PM
I'd say I agreed with others when I say typically this type of knife wouldn't appeal to me but... I mean look at it! Kicking ass since WW2 and looking good all the while.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:30:02 PM
Very nice mate. :drool:  Oh and I agree, the whole 'blood  groove' thing is a modern myth. ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:55:06 PM
Very pretty.  Classic knife.  Great for zombies.  What else do you need?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:03:16 PM
This thing is great  :D  So far I've chopped two onions and scared away more zombies then I could count .I'm still sruggling to put a decent edge on it  :think:  due to the uneven grind I used my oil stone and done it free hand , I think I've evened things out a bit but looks like I've still a way to go . Can't get it really sharp at the moment despite getting a burr on one side and removing it on the other  :think:   To be honest were these things ever ment to be kept that sharp ?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:20 PM
This thing is great  :D  So far I've chopped two onions and scared away more zombies then I could count .I'm still sruggling to put a decent edge on it  :think:  due to the uneven grind I used my oil stone and done it free hand , I think I've evened things out a bit but looks like I've still a way to go . Can't get it really sharp at the moment despite getting a burr on one side and removing it on the other  :think:   To be honest were these things ever ment to be kept that sharp ?

Dunc, Have you tried stropping it or steeling it?

I've found with some of my carbon steel blades, that it more an isue of realigning the edge rather than taking material away. I'd suggest letting the blade "rest" for 24 hours before trying it though (difficult as it is with a new plaything), as otherwise you can just strip off the good work you've been doing with the stone  - and if you do undo the stonework with the steel/strop it WILL need to go back on the stone again

EDIT: For clarification - I should add (as an example) that one of my Opinel No 6's will stone sharp, but the other seems to want to curl and only becomes as sharp as the other if I steel or strop it. My Bowie Bushman always seems to benefit from realigning too
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:23:33 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 10:13:45 PM
Great knife dunc, i had one back in the 80's and it was one of my favouites, enjoy  :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:07 PM
Great knife  :tu:.

I've been thinking about getting one myself, although I have absolutely no use for it ...  But it's just so  :drool:.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:07:40 PM
Dunk welcome to the real deal. As you most likely see on FB is my pride in the corp. I still love the way the K fits in the hand and how it handles itself. Plus the history of them is second to none. In my circle it is actually an honor to buy the new Marine the K. It is a blade that will serve you well, and dont listen to a lot of crap you har onthe web of how the tang is weak. During recon training we would actually stick the blade into stone walls and stand on the handle to be able to get a higher fireing position.

I still grab one when I go out into the field and the blade served me well now over 20 years.

There is a reason the new bayonet is soo close to how the K bar looks. because it works. I tell ya they come alive in the hand, and with one simple mod it becomes the best field knife out there.
S

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:34:27 PM
Dunc's gotta whopper  :o :o :D :D :D.

Dunc I have got Ka-Bar's smaller version of the USMC knife & I have really struggled to get a good edge on it  :( :(.
You are much better at using a Sharpmaker than I am so I am a bit surprised that you are having a bit of trouble as well. The leather handles on these knives are  :drool: :drool: :drool: 8) 8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 02:54:29 PM
Well the tips have allways been hard to get to a razor, however the swedge is usually able to get a razor edge on. Did yours come sharp? most do but it helps to touch it up.
S

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 03:50:56 PM
I had a really good look and think about the edge lastnight . I wasn't happy with it . The factory grind was uneven and when i put it on the sharpmaker one edge was bang on 20 degrees but the other was more like 10 :(  There was no way I could get it to 20 using just the sharpmaker so I used my old bench stone  >:D  I had to remove a fair bit of metal but after a while I got both side to meet at the edge , I had burrs forming nicely on either side . I then coated the edge with marker pen and put it back on the sharpmaker and it was perfect  :D I'd changed the angle just enough so the sharpmaker was sharpening just the very edge on either side .It is now very very very sharp  :o So at last I'm happy with it . The only downside is the beval looks a little scruffy where its worn some of the black finish away along the edge as I had to remove quite a bit of metal .So this certainly isn't a drawer queen  >:D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 06:07:04 PM
I got a full sized serrated one for Christmas from SWMBO  :tu:

It came from Sawman  :salute:

Here it is with a few friends; I must get some solo pics :D

I'm really impressed with it. I'd like to get a kydex sheath for mine as I'd rather keep the leather one looking good :)

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:03 PM
Amici,
The Kabar is an American classic in all it's forms over the years. Although I love the pattern, I was never a big fan of the Kabar versions pumped out tha last few years. I hate the idea that the blade is poxy coated, and if you notice, the grooves in the leather handle are painted as well..

During the war there were many different companies manufacturing the Mark 2 combat/utility knife although the Marines and Navy were the ones who were issued this as part of their official equipment issue before deployment.

The Marines were still issuing the Camillius version of the knife until the company folded a few years ago. Now the "next generation" standard issue is made by Ontario Cutlery and this version functions also as a bayonet, and has a composite handle which even sports the USMC logo. 

Memories of the M9 anyone??

I also believe that the Kabar company has closed it's doors and now all official Kabars are being made over in China.

For a more traditional pattern, try the Case version. When I was in the Army, I carried this in a custom made rig on my LBE and was glad that I did.. Although nowadays some folks would find it "scary" to see it worn in the bush hiking, I still take her out from time to time.

The Mark 2, that is, NOT the SOG Paratool!!

Cheers,
Serge 
Case Mark 2.jpg
* Case Mark 2.jpg (Filesize: 64.62 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 01:33:10 AM
Amici,
The Kabar is an American classic in all it's forms over the years. Although I love the pattern, I was never a big fan of the Kabar versions pumped out tha last few years. I hate the idea that the blade is poxy coated, and if you notice, the grooves in the leather handle are painted as well..

During the war there were many different companies manufacturing the Mark 2 combat/utility knife although the Marines and Navy were the ones who were issued this as part of their official equipment issue before deployment.

The Marines were still issuing the Camillius version of the knife until the company folded a few years ago. Now the "next generation" standard issue is made by Ontario Cutlery and this version functions also as a bayonet, and has a composite handle which even sports the USMC logo. 

Memories of the M9 anyone??

I also believe that the Kabar company has closed it's doors and now all official Kabars are being made over in China.

For a more traditional pattern, try the Case version. When I was in the Army, I carried this in a custom made rig on my LBE and was glad that I did.. Although nowadays some folks would find it "scary" to see it worn in the bush hiking, I still take her out from time to time.

The Mark 2, that is, NOT the SOG Paratool!!

Cheers,
Serge

Nope.  The Ka-Bar USMC and a lot of their fixed blades are still made in the US.  A lot of the folders are made overseas, though.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 10:00:28 AM
Since owning this knife I have delved a little into its history and its left me feeling very humbled. My Grandfather was a Japanese POW in changi jail , and while I was very young when he died I was able to learn about what he went through from my father and the book he wrote " Battalion at War" by Michael Moore .
  Anyway back to Ka-Bars , I just found this and thought it was worth a mention .....

http://valorstudios.com/Eugene-Sledge-Ka-Bar.htm

Eugenes book "With the Old Breed " is one of the books on my list , I may go into the library today and see if they have a copy .

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 03:19:09 AM
Some trivia I came across, Kabar is now owned by Cutco, the infamous kitchen knife company.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 03:40:02 AM
Here's a pic of a Ka-Bar with a bladed opponent in the Pacific: the Japanese Type 30 bayonet. This was the standard Japanese bayonet that fitted both the 6.5mm and 7.7mm Arisaka rifles. Some Japanese light machine guns  also had a lug for this bayonet, which is a bit odd. This particular example was brought back from the Pacific by my grandfather, who fought at Peleliu and Okinawa.
Kbar_Type30.jpg
* Kbar_Type30.jpg (Filesize: 70.27 KB)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:05 AM
Nice thread and nice knives those Ka-Bars guys. :tu:  I almost bought one today as I
noticed I've only a couple of small fixed blades and nothing really for heavy duty camp
chores, for gathering, and the splitting of firewood.  I was just about to pull the trigger
on the "Army" version when I spied another Ka-Bar which is the one I thought might be
better suited.  I ended up with the BK7.
ka-bar bk7.jpg
* ka-bar bk7.jpg (Filesize: 54.63 KB)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:47 AM
I had one of those (bk7), very stout and comfy. I couldn't see myself ever using it though so I eventually sold it.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 03:43:41 PM
Wow I started this thread 6 years ago. In that six years my love of Ka-Bars has increased. That first one I bought with the uneven grind is long gone and I currently own 5 , 3 of which are modern version of the  Mk 2 Fighting utility knife.
   And it all started when I was watching the H.B.O Mini series The Pacific. I saw the knives being used and googled to find out what they were then bought one from Heinnie Haines.
  Then started a whole hobby of learning about the USMC in the Pacific theatre. I purchased a copy of Eugene Sledges excellent book With the Old Breed followed by many more books , dvds etc. I even purchased a With the Old Breed commerative Ka-Bar.

I'll post some pics a little later

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 05:31:49 PM
Very cool!
I have never owned a KaBar USMC knife. How do they perform in the woods?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 05:45:58 PM
They are pretty good all round survival knives but there are much better knives available for bush craft. One thing they can fail on is if you use them for heavy battoning.
   I do use one of mine for general big knife work but nothing major , they take a good edge and I've used them often in the kitchen.

I mainly like them for the history

no Offline Grathr

Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 05:55:47 PM
They are pretty good all round survival knives but there are much better knives available for bush craft. One thing they can fail on is if you use them for heavy battoning.
   I do use one of mine for general big knife work but nothing major , they take a good edge and I've used them often in the kitchen.

I mainly like them for the history

Thanks! :cheers:
I too loved the Pacific, and read Eugene Sledges : With the Old Breed shortly after seeing it.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 06:05:14 PM
And of course they make pretty good fighting knives , so I'm told

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00