Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife

Dunc · 75 · 10803

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife
Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 07:31:54 PM
Don't forget "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie.  Another great read that "The Pacific" was based on.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 08:23:06 PM
Yes that's a good one too. R.V Burgin , Jim McEnery , Sterling Mace and Thurman Miller who were all in K-3-5 have written books. So did Eugenes friend Sid Phillips. I have quite a collection lol

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 08:39:34 PM
Ok so here a few pics of my Ka-Bars

This one is one of my most treasured possessions and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea it's one of my holy grails
This is a Ka-Bar commerative tribute to Eugen Sledge. The sheath is signed by veterans R.V Burgin and TI Miller who served with Eugene. It's numbered 377 of 1945.
   The box sleeve is printed with the artwork of Matt Halls painting 'off the Beach' which incidentally I have a print of as well which is signed by R.V Burgin and Sterling Mace.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 10:59:41 PM
Very cool mate. :salute:  I'll have to look up a few of those other books too. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: April 01, 2017, 11:04:08 PM
Comcast cable has their watchathon next week where you can watch HBO on demand for free. I think I'll be watching Pacific since I never saw it and loved Band of Brothers  :tu:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 11:11:47 PM
Here are a couple of originals;one a KA-BAR and the other a PAL RH-36.Both were military issue. The other is a reproduction KA-BAR USMC that I got years ago.I guess that style of sheath with the staples was original. The KA-BAR has had a hole drilled through the handle just before the pommel which I guess was for a lanyard.Maybe owned by a diver or EOD person.
I also have several non-military issue WWII era knives including an E.G.Waterman,a Cattaraugus 225Q,and a John Ek Model 6.
USMCKABARRepo.jpg
* USMCKABARRepo.jpg (Filesize: 101.98 KB)
MiscMilitaryKnives 001.jpg
* MiscMilitaryKnives 001.jpg (Filesize: 112.15 KB)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 07:43:46 AM
That's a nice collection Ray. The sheath with the staples is an early new type sheath from the Late 70's early eighties. None of the War made knives carried the Ka-Bar stamp or the EGA logo on them.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 07:45:16 AM
Very cool mate. :salute:  I'll have to look up a few of those other books too. :)

Nice one , when your ready let me know and I'll give you all the details of titles etc.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:22 PM
That's a nice collection Ray. The sheath with the staples is an early new type sheath from the Late 70's early eighties. None of the War made knives carried the Ka-Bar stamp or the EGA logo on them.

Thank you Dunc. In regard to the sheath what I should have said was that when they first designed the sheath for the KA-BAR they used staples like that but it didn't work out in practice so the abandoned it(as I recall).When they first issued the reproduction USMC knives they used the stapled sheath.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 12:11:09 AM

Thank you Dunc. In regard to the sheath what I should have said was that when they first designed the sheath for the KA-BAR they used staples like that but it didn't work out in practice so the abandoned it(as I recall).When they first issued the reproduction USMC knives they used the stapled sheath.

Arr yes I see what you mean. I really am going to try and get hold of a WW2 Ka-Bar this year but might be easier said then done

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 01:11:26 AM
Awesome collection and displays of KaBars Dunc!    :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:22 PM
Ok so here a few pics of my Ka-Bars

This one is one of my most treasured possessions and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea it's one of my holy grails
This is a Ka-Bar commerative tribute to Eugen Sledge. The sheath is signed by veterans R.V Burgin and TI Miller who served with Eugene. It's numbered 377 of 1945.
   The box sleeve is printed with the artwork of Matt Halls painting 'off the Beach' which incidentally I have a print of as well which is signed by R.V Burgin and Sterling Mace.

:like:
Andrew

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 12:33:01 PM
Here's some of mine
WW2 Kabar USMC with the early round tang
WW2 Kabar no service mark also round tang
WW 2 Camillus guard marked USN

Then 3 Vietnam era
2 x  Conetta's and
Camillus ( repro sheath)

The last two are both Kabar Commando's which are both also WW2 vintage. Top one has a name and service number on the sheath.
Andrew

us Offline cody6268

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 03:42:23 AM
Mine was obviously intended for use as a fighting knife, as the original owner sharpened the false edge.  It's a Camillus, dating from the mid 1970s to early 1990s.  Camillus was the first to produce, and made more than Union Cutlery (later known after the war as KABAR) of the Mark II Fighting Knife.   My main uses for it is as a woods and gardening knife (based partly on my grandmother using an old butcher knife as a garden knife for years). Today I used it to add a vent to the back of a "ventless" gas can--worked far easier than anything else I've tried to vent them with--the double edged blade stabbed through it like nothing. 

Photo0733 by cody6268, on Flickr

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 11, 2017, 06:39:40 AM

Mine was obviously intended for use as a fighting knife, as the original owner sharpened the false edge.  It's a Camillus, dating from the mid 1970s to early 1990s.  Camillus was the first to produce, and made more than Union Cutlery (later known after the war as KABAR) of the Mark II Fighting Knife.   My main uses for it is as a woods and gardening knife (based partly on my grandmother using an old butcher knife as a garden knife for years). Today I used it to add a vent to the back of a "ventless" gas can--worked far easier than anything else I've tried to vent them with--the double edged blade stabbed through it like nothing. 

Photo0733 by cody6268, on Flickr
  :like: sounds perfect for a Kabar. After all the designation is fighting/utility. With Utility being the emphasis here.😁
Wish I had a backyard where I could use mine.
Andrew

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 07:00:29 AM
Lovely looking knife , thanks for sharing. I does seem Ka-Bar did steel a lot of Camillus's thunder.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:06 AM
Had a Case 334 ('92) and an issue Camillus (a USN Mk-2) that was bought back in the 70's. Lost both in the fire so I replaced them with another Case. It's a newer one and I had a custom sheath made. The 334's are excellent quality. I also had a couple of new Camillus issue Marine knives...those were lost as well.

I've gifted Ka-Bars to family (and they are great) but always liked the round grip on a Camillus or a Case better.

Here's some older pics of the Case and the custom sheath.
Case 334 USMC.JPG
* Case 334 USMC.JPG (Filesize: 157.46 KB)
Case 334-2.JPG
* Case 334-2.JPG (Filesize: 137.34 KB)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:02:45 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 10:25:15 AM
Had a Case 334 ('92) and an issue Camillus (a USN Mk-2) that was bought back in the 70's. Lost both in the fire so I replaced them with another Case. It's a newer one and I had a custom sheath made. The 334's are excellent quality. I also had a couple of new Camillus issue Marine knives...those were lost as well.

I've gifted Ka-Bars to family (and they are great) but always liked the round grip on a Camillus or a Case better.

:like: nice sheath.  Looks a bit like a Randall sheath but with a crossover strap. Knife is a looker too.
Andrew

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 04:32:21 PM

:like: nice sheath.  Looks a bit like a Randall sheath but with a crossover strap. Knife is a looker too.

Thx bud!!! It's modeled off a Randal sheath but I had the maker reverse the retaining strap so it wouldn't be cut on the draw. I do this on all the custom sheaths I order.

Here's the sheath made for my Blackjack Warner Moran Bowie. I requested a reversed strap and that it be built to carry Falkniven DC-4 sized stone.
Warner Moran reverse 7-2-16.JPG
* Warner Moran reverse 7-2-16.JPG (Filesize: 137.44 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 04:22:23 AM
 :tu: looks like great leather work. The tie down point reminds me of the early JPK sheaths before the metal tipped ones were issued. Beautiful Moran Warner.  Is that Warner the Practical Book of Knives Author?
Andrew

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 06:05:52 AM
Some neat looking knives!   :cheers:

No Ka-Bars here, just a Boker reissue M-3 Trench Knife.

IMG_8252.JPG
* IMG_8252.JPG (Filesize: 62.47 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 06:17:37 AM
:tu: looks like great leather work. The tie down point reminds me of the early JPK sheaths before the metal tipped ones were issued. Beautiful Moran Warner.  Is that Warner the Practical Book of Knives Author?

Yes, it's Ken Warner. Bill Moran made a custom knife for him in '67 when Warner landed an in country assignment to cover the Vietnam War. Later on in the 90's, Warner, Moran and Mike Stewart of Blackjack evaluated that knife and developed the Warner Moran Bowie for Blackjack.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:25 AM

Yes, it's Ken Warner. Bill Moran made a custom knife for him in '67 when Warner landed an in country assignment to cover the Vietnam War. Later on in the 90's, Warner, Moran and Mike Stewart of Blackjack evaluated that knife and developed the Warner Moran Bowie for Blackjack.
Thanks
Andrew

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 06:21:45 AM

That's nice Karl!!!! I almost bought one of those...
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 06:27:16 AM

I've always fancied getting an M-3

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 07:00:41 AM

:like:
Andrew

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #56 on: April 12, 2017, 08:33:26 AM
The M-3 trench knife served as the basis for the M-4 bayonet, which was developed for use on the M-1 carbine. (Lots of model numbers.   :D  )

utica_ana.jpg
* utica_ana.jpg (Filesize: 62.17 KB)
B1021-7.jpg
* B1021-7.jpg (Filesize: 55.99 KB)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:39:44 AM by ColoSwiss »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #57 on: July 25, 2017, 06:07:44 PM
I like this modern version of the KaBar better...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #58 on: July 25, 2017, 06:15:49 PM
Heresy... although the new gen is interesting  :whistle: :whistle:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 31, 2017, 09:44:39 AM
My latest.
Late WW2 Kabar USMC in a USN Boyt 43 sheath.
IMG_0336.JPG
* IMG_0336.JPG (Filesize: 193.47 KB)
IMG_0339.JPG
* IMG_0339.JPG (Filesize: 181.9 KB)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:46:21 AM by sak60 »
Andrew

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30