Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Astronaut

kirk13 · 112 · 19403

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Vic Astronaut
on: March 01, 2011, 08:00:48 PM
Had a lovely package arrive in the post this morning(think I scared the postman!I was waiting at the top of the stairs).Icarefully opened the jiffy bag(ie ripped it open with indecent haste)and found this

I've been looking for a SAK which gives the nearist approximation to a Leatherman.I stumbled onto this on the Bonds of London website
http://www.bondsoflondon.com/default.asp

I had a look at SAKwiki,and started scratching my head.Obviously it was a discontinued item,but was it NIB,or used?I'd planned to take a run up to the shop to have a look,but in a typical flash of impatence(see my mod post of today for another example of this) I placed the order over the web(well it saved a trip to Norbury.I lived there for 18 months and it aint the nicest part of London).

When i opened the box I was utterly delighted!I hadnt been expecting the classic box style,and it added to the sense of occasion!

It was brand new,like it had been waiting all these years for me to find it.It has a lovely weight to it,As many tools as I could expect to use(and no hook!).I loved this sense of age in touching the instructions

I'm so chuffed with it!It imidiatly went straight into the belt pouch,and went off groccery shopping with me.

It sounds silly,but dank weather,and work has been getting to me and this was a nice little boost.It also inspired me to finish the frankenSAK I started yesterday and which I'd been struggling with.

My origional plan had been to fit it with StayGlow scales,as sort of a SurvivalSAK,but now I'm not so sure.What do you all think?

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Vic Astronaut
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:22 PM
This is a nice feel good thread  :D  I know exactly what you mean , from waiting for the postman to the shear joy of opening the package .  I'm glad it brightened up your day . For the record I'd keep it as it is  ;)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:09 PM
That's an old, old style box.  I wonder how many years its been waiting for you?
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
Nice one...  :drool:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:46:06 PM
That's an old, old style box.  I wonder how many years its been waiting for you?

Theres an 82 embossed in the bottom of the box :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:18:32 AM
From SAKwiki

In late 1978 NASA bought 50 knives from Victorinox, presumably Master Craftsman models, for their Shuttle personnel. These were plain scaled versions with no special name or designs on the scales. Victorinox later started producing this same model yet called it an "Astronaut". These were produced from 1986 until 1991.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:26:12 AM
From SAKwiki

In late 1978 NASA bought 50 knives from Victorinox, presumably Master Craftsman models, for their Shuttle personnel. These were plain scaled versions with no special name or designs on the scales. Victorinox later started producing this same model yet called it an "Astronaut". These were produced from 1986 until 1991.

Cool,that explains a lot! :salute:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:32 PM
Nice! 

Thanks for posting the details as well.  Will be able to update the Wiki a bit for this model now.

The box actually looks like it would be for a knife in the seventies rather than the 80s though, so it is quite interesting, and there may still be some information to add.   Too bad they don't have the newer scales with the inlay though, I wonder if once they had the new scales they put existing inventory into the warehouse so they could sell the new one.  Not often one finds such a large stash of old models like this.

Enjoy that great knife, and thanks again for posting the information.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:15 PM
The box actually looks like it would be for a knife in the seventies rather than the 80s though, so it is quite interesting, and there may still be some information to add.

These boxes were still in use into the early 80s before the intro of the maroon boxes in the mid 80s. This knife appears to be an 86+ knife by the fine screwdriver, so in theory it should have been in a maroon box (one of my Shuttles is a slightly older 85 model and came in the newer maroon box, for another data point). However, I think you're guess about using up old box inventory with the non-shuttle scaled models is a pretty good one. Those boxes would have only been a few years old at the time, so not inconceivable that they'd still be around and could be used to free up old inventory.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 04:06:41 PM
Was the Master Craftsmen sold alongside the Astronaut? Is there any actual difference between the two?

I dug a very nice specimen of what I thought was a MC out of a TSA bin a while back and now I wonder if it might actually be an Astronaut. The tool configuration seems to date it between 1985-1990, scales are plain red cellidor.

Any way to tell the difference?

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:50:48 PM
precision craftsmanship.  =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 01:39:48 AM
I got a packaged from Bonds of London today with some Astronauts.  It was EXTREMELY well packaged.  Probably the best I've ever gotten from a commercial vendor, or at least the best in a very long time.  They arrived perfect, and are as pictured by kirk13. The Phillips is round with can-key, new fine screwdriver, sewing eye in awl, liners between each layer.  The boxes are perfect and a darket red than some boxes of similar design.

Looks like they still have a good stash, I'd pick one up if you can.

gb Offline sousterre1

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 03:46:09 PM
I got a packaged from Bonds of London today with some Astronauts.  It was EXTREMELY well packaged.  Probably the best I've ever gotten from a commercial vendor, or at least the best in a very long time.  They arrived perfect, and are as pictured by kirk13. The Phillips is round with can-key, new fine screwdriver, sewing eye in awl, liners between each layer.  The boxes are perfect and a darket red than some boxes of similar design.

Looks like they still have a good stash, I'd pick one up if you can.

You've twisted my arm  :D Thier webiste is a nightmare to navigate around mind. Who put's the next page button at the top of the page  ???
All mushrooms are edible, some only once.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03:11 PM
I'd be interested to know what an astronaut would do with a woodsaw, or more generally how the NASA people settled on this particular model...I've got some googling to do  :D

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:08:43 PM
I'd be interested to know what an astronaut would do with a woodsaw, or more generally how the NASA people settled on this particular model...I've got some googling to do  :D

I'd not mind hearing what you come up with. :)

de Offline Jmora

Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 09:58:04 PM
http://www.suite101.com/content/us-survival-knives-in-space-a51515

no convincing answer, though some interesting facts: seems they used a Case machete, in case they landed back in the jungle.
On my travels I found this cool website (there goes the thread) :P:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2938/how-much-flatulence-would-it-take-to-become-airborne

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:29:27 AM
The answer is they carried the knife when they were on the ground and they just kept it in their pocket.  When the idea became official they simply purchased the same model.  Those astronauts didn't spent much of his actual life in space.  A few were smart enough not to go without their SAK though, and the idea caught on.

gb Offline sousterre1

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:33:08 PM
Got mine today, What a beautiful knife. The box feels like a piece of history. what a find  :salute: cheers.
All mushrooms are edible, some only once.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 01:20:16 AM
Ya pretty nice to get something "NEW" that was actually made so many years ago. 

If anyone would like one, but does not want to order from the UK I have an extra.  Send me a PM.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 02:06:23 AM
PM sent.

Offline SRSemenza

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 05:02:26 AM
Hi,

According to the Bonds website these do not have the Shuttle or Astronaut logo. What differentiates them from an early 90s Craftsman? I was looking at the SAKWiki list. Do they have square philips head and NO eye in the reamer?

Seth

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 06:30:41 AM
Hi,

According to the Bonds website these do not have the Shuttle or Astronaut logo. What differentiates them from an early 90s Craftsman? I was looking at the SAKWiki list. Do they have square philips head and NO eye in the reamer?

Seth

These are 86-90 Master Craftsman models - think Ranger with a Phillips instead of a corkscrew. Different model than a 90s Craftsman, which has pliers. The Apollo 11 special models were Craftsmans, Space Shuttle models were Master Craftsmans. I've seen both called "Astronauts" due to their obvious space/NASA connections.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:29 PM
Sorry about this blast from the past...

Just spent a few days trying to decide between a Craftsman, Ranger and SwissChamp. I really wanted to avoid the Swisschamp as I know I have one from 1986(?) lying around somewhere. The scales are melted and cracked but if I can find it I think it's fixable.

Anyway - more than a saw I want a file. And more than a corkscrew I want a Phillips. Mountaineer Lite would be great if it weren't for that daft lite thing, and the rip-off price. My search led me to the elusive Master Craftsman which is discontinued... but still available if google is kind enough to cough up the right answers (which it was.)

To cut a long and boring story short, I've just ordered 2 Astronauts from our chums at Bonds of London. I may one day kick myself because I quite like the pliars tool but I could't resist. The Master Craftsman is pretty much my favourite SAK - can't wait to get one in my hands and see how it handles.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:39 PM
Think you'll like it a lot!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 12:40:22 AM
 :tu:
That looks like a great deal for a lovely knife.  I've been considering splashing the cash on a Ranger for quite a while but now I'm glad I held back.  For me the key advantage of this Astronaut over the Ranger is the Phillips.  I think I can manage without the corkscrew on this one.  Besides I've always wanted to try that trick where you open a bottle of wine by putting the bottle in your shoe and bang it on a tree.   :D

I assume these were made before the advent of the hook and chisel?   :think:

Oh boy, this forum is getting expensive, but at least on this occassion it is clear where the blame lies... with the OP! :pok:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 01:39:40 AM
And this dates to before I was to blame for everything :facepalm:

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 02:32:35 AM

I believe blame can be applied retrospectively.  This is a case in point.   ;)

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 02:59:15 AM

Since you are the designated Scape Goat, your guilt has no boundaries in Time or Space.   :pok:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:01:40 AM by ColoSwiss »

england Offline macabee

Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 05:44:08 PM
The Astronaut is on my belt. I like the weight/balance and the tool configuration, if you ever find an 'old' tin of sardines it has the slit in the phillips to open it, very useful in the space station :whistle:

I have three of them all from Bonds of London, one spare! one still in the box and one as my belt  :sak:

They still have them on their website http://www.bondsoflondon.com/catalouge/moredetails.asp?id=2078&cid=28
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:30 PM
"On the Skylab 2 mission of 1978 a screw on a pedal of the bicycle ergometer broke; the file and saw blades of the on-board Master Craftsman were used to pry the broken stub from its hole. The only replacement screw they could find was on the bracket of a spare urine separator. The switch
was effected and the astronauts could continue their necessary muscle-maintaining exercise."   The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual, 2011
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69