Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Astronaut

kirk13 · 112 · 19402

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Re: Vic Astronaut
Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:32 PM
Guess I am not getting it. Apart from the Space Shuttle on the scales, what's the difference between the "Astronaut" and the Master Craftsman? The tools look identical, and people getting Astronauts from Bond's seem to be getting knives with no silver Space Shuttle on the side anyway.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Craftsman
Aren't people really buying Master Craftsmen from Bond's, and just (erroneously) referring to them as Astronauts???

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:45 PM
It's the same thing, no one said otherwise. Victorinox sold some Master Craftsmen to Nasa, then decided to rebrand the same SAK as the Astronaut. Cos it sounds cooler. And some of them went into space.
Victorinox sold them as Astronauts... so that's what they are. Says so on the box!

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:04 PM
Guess I'll start referring to my later model Master Craftsman (with the full compliment of back-side tools) as an Astronaut then.
Does anyone have any spare scales with the Shuttle logo on them for me ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 12:37:47 PM
For me, it has to either have the astronaut or space shuttle for it to be referred to as an Astronaut. Much like neillcurrie, it is just a Master Craftsman if it doesn't have either special scale.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Philby

Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:05 PM
Whatever they're called its a really useful sak, high tool density and only 1.3mm thicker than an Explorer. :gimme:
The Astronauts carried master craftsmen, so for me, in order for it to be an astronaut it has to be a master craftsman :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 12:47:23 PM
See...my thinking is this. If everyone calls a Master Craftsman an Astronaut...then what will happen to the much older Master Craftsman designation. Mind you, I guess the space shuttle scales should be called the Space Shuttle, and the one with the astronaut really is the Apollo.  :facepalm:

Ok ok...call them whatever you want. I am cool with that.  :D

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:11 PM
I agree, regardless of the scales, that combination of tools is pretty sweet.
To me, just because it says "Astronaut" on the box doesn't mean anything. One can buy model kits with the word Ferrari on them, is anyone seriously going to conflate *that* with the real car?

gb Offline Philby

Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 02:59:25 PM
Wonder what happened to the original 50?

us Offline bren10man

Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 06:52:18 PM
Guess I am not getting it. Apart from the Space Shuttle on the scales, what's the difference between the "Astronaut" and the Master Craftsman? The tools look identical, and people getting Astronauts from Bond's seem to be getting knives with no silver Space Shuttle on the side anyway.
Aren't people really buying Master Craftsmen from Bond's, and just (erroneously) referring to them as Astronauts???

Dude: you need to lay down the crack pipe/conspiracy theories and re-look at the post with the pics I took as I unwrapped the package (hence why I took the pics: to show folks what to expect).  The box the SAK I got in the mail this past week CLEARLY HAS Astronaut on the side of the box.  Someone else in an earlier post in this thread got one (in an older box) and it is CLEARLY MARKED Astronaut on the box.   If you order one now from Bonds of London, the one you will get will be CLEARLY MARKED Astronaut on the box.  If you go to Bonds of London website to order one, the ad will CLEARLY STATE this knife does not have Space Shuttle or any other logos (other than the standard Vic log) on the scales.    :twak:
MOLON LABE!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 07:04:04 PM
Wonder what happened to the original 50?
A few thousand of them ended up on ebay...

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:36 PM

Dude: you need to lay down the crack pipe/conspiracy theories and re-look at the post with the pics I took as I unwrapped the package (hence why I took the pics: to show folks what to expect).  The box the SAK I got in the mail this past week CLEARLY HAS Astronaut on the side of the box.  Someone else in an earlier post in this thread got one (in an older box) and it is CLEARLY MARKED Astronaut on the box.   If you order one now from Bonds of London, the one you will get will be CLEARLY MARKED Astronaut on the box.  If you go to Bonds of London website to order one, the ad will CLEARLY STATE this knife does not have Space Shuttle or any other logos (other than the standard Vic log) on the scales.    :twak:

I guess I still don't get it. What's the difference between your "Astronaut" and my "Master Craftsman", apart from the stamped "astronaut" on the box?
Besides, I have every right to express my opinion. I didn't CAPITALIZE my words, nor did I accuse you, or anyone else of smoking crack, or adopting conspiracy theories, unlike what you did to me.
Respectfully: calm down.

us Offline condcup

Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:55 PM

I guess I still don't get it. What's the difference between your "Astronaut" and my "Master Craftsman", apart from the stamped "astronaut" on the box?
Besides, I have every right to express my opinion. I didn't CAPITALIZE my words, nor did I accuse you, or anyone else of smoking crack, or adopting conspiracy theories, unlike what you did to me.

:rofl:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 07:20:42 PM

There is no difference. Period. These knives marked as "Astronaut" are "Master Craftsman" models.

I have a mid 1980s Master Craftsman, NIB, with the box marked "Master Craftsman". I have a mid 1980s Astronaut from Boyds, NIB with the box marked "Astronaut". They are the EXACT same knife. They are also the same knife as the ones in my collection with Space Shuttle inlays.

They called these "Astronaut" models because NASA ordered 50 of them from Victorinox for the space program in 1978. Read the letter here. In this letter they specifically refer to the model as the "Master Craftsman".

Don't get so hung up on names. Victorinox uses different names on the same knife all of the time. I've seen Waiters sold as Bartenders. Spartans sold as Campers. The Voyageur was usually sold in the US as the Traveler. They also use the same name for different knives (Golfer anyone?).

us Offline condcup

Reply #73 on: January 17, 2014, 07:27:51 PM

There is no difference. Period. These knives marked as "Astronaut" are "Master Craftsman" models.

I have a mid 1980s Master Craftsman, NIB, with the box marked "Master Craftsman". I have a mid 1980s Astronaut from Boyds, NIB with the box marked "Astronaut". They are the EXACT same knife. They are also the same knife as the ones in my collection with Space Shuttle inlays.

They called these "Astronaut" models because NASA ordered 50 of them from Victorinox for the space program in 1978. Read the letter here. In this letter they specifically refer to the model as the "Master Craftsman".

Don't get so hung up on names. Victorinox uses different names on the same knife all of the time. I've seen Waiters sold as Bartenders. Spartans sold as Campers. The Voyageur was usually sold in the US as the Traveler. They also use the same name for different knives (Golfer anyone?).

:clap:

us Offline bren10man

Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:34 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!    :salute:

Same as the Pattern 2008 Soldier knife:

- Swiss Army official issue
- German Army official issue
- One Hand Trekker
- and a HOST of others.  Same tools, different scales, different names.

Master Craftsman is the BASE.  This knife has been around since the 1960's (I have one).  Once word leaked out NASA bought some, they changed the name and sold them OUTSIDE the USA (I have NEVER seen one for sale in the USA and I have owned Victorinox since 1986; first saw Victorinox in the JC Penny Wishbook Christmas catalog in 1980 at age 8 ) as the Astronaut or something.  In the USA, the Craftsman's sold originally had the fish scaler.  Then in 1987, they replaced the fish scaler with the pliers, then added the hook.  Next thing, Victorinox will replace their pliers with Wenger pliers, maybe add an arc-lite welder....wait...that won't work.  They tried a butane lighter and that didn't work (hence why I sold mine...POS). 

Folks need to go get smart, wise up, and read the SwissWiki and learn to unlearn.....then get smart.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:09:29 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Philby

Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:53 PM
Is the model number mentioned in the letter #5044, the American model number, as the sak wiki has the master craftsman (Astronaut) down as 1.4763?

us Offline bren10man

Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 08:30:49 PM
Lets put this to bed:

Top, L-R: 1960's Master Craftsman, 1970's Master Craftsman (my guess the type model NASA bought)
Bottom, L-R: Astronaut NIB box CLEARLY marked Astronaut (from 1990's-2005, based on tool set and markings), Space Shuttle Master Craftsman from 1982-1986 era (based on tool set)

ALL of them are Master Craftsman's as a base.  However, Victorinox sometimes will rename SAKs for whatever reason. 

Oh, here is one: Super Tinker.  I have one NIB marked Super Tinker.  Dates from 1970s based upon the box it came in.  It is 84mm long.  It SHOULD be marked Salesman on the box.  Is it?  Nope. 

Again, go to the Swiss Wiki, contribute, learn to unlearn and then relearn.  It is like a drug dealer in Miami circa 1984-1989: "Welcome to Miami, pal.  Down here, you can't tell the players without a program.." James "Sonny" Crockett, "Brother's Keeper" Episode 1, Season 1, 1984-1985 (series pilot episode).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:36:08 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:01 PM
Oh, here is one: Super Tinker.  I have one NIB marked Super Tinker.  Dates from 1970s based upon the box it came in.  It is 84mm long.  It SHOULD be marked Salesman on the box.  Is it?  Nope. 

Only if you bought it from Canada. This knife was almost always sold as the "Super Tinker" in the US.

The 84mm equivlent of what Victorinox now sells as the "Super Tinker" model was known officially as the 135k (early part number) or the 0.4703 (later part number). Since selling by part number is boring, different countries named them differently based on what they felt would sell. In the US, this knife was almost exclusively sold as the "Super Tinker" until discontinued in the mid 1980s. Likewise, what we today call the "Tinker Small" was typically just called the "Tinker". During the time these knives were in active production, they (the 84mm versions) were "standard models" and their 91mm equivalents, while they could be ordered, were not part of the typical production runs. The data backs this up, BTW. 1960s and 1970s 84mm models are more common than their 91mm equivalents.

The confusion arises because the SAK collecting community - the American community in particular - over the years has come up with what I call "collector's names" to refer to certain models. In almost all cases, this is done when the model either didn't have an official name (as was typical prior to the mid 1970s) or where it's official name was subsequently recycled onto another knife. These names are typically derived from either their 91mm equivalents (e.g. Huntsman Small) or from names found in catalogs from other countries. The SIMCO Canadian catalogs especially have contributed several "collector's names".

The knife we call the "Artisan" (136k, aka 84mm Fieldmaster) was sold in the US as the "Craftsman" almost exclusively. We use the Artisan name (French for Craftsman, btw) from the SIMCO to avoid confusion with the 91mm models of the same name. I have a several of these NIB - the boxes all say "Craftsman".

Likewise, the knife called the "Salesman" on SAKWiki was sold in the US as the "Super Tinker", the "Tinker Small" was simply the "Tinker", and the "Voyageur" was sold as the "Tourist". The Bantam Alox was sold as the "Waiter", so what is now called the Waiter was sold as the "Bartender". And don't even get me started on the BSA knives and their "Huntsman" that's really a Fieldmaster and the "Yeoman" that's really an Explorer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:16:29 PM by jazzbass »

us Offline bren10man

Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 10:36:55 PM
Mr. Jazzbass: it IS confusing, indeed.   

What a mess!!!!!!
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: January 18, 2014, 12:41:40 AM
I agree.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08:41 AM
Apparently a Wenger was also carried by a Space Shuttle crew member.
Here is an interesting document from the website linked above by Karl
http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Wenger_Shuttle_Document.pdf
The picture on the first page of the document (that I suspect comes from the Wenger Anniversary book) was also used in a Wenger catalog (see attachment)
Yes, just to confirm; there is a copy of the NASA Crew photo in the Wenger Anniversary book.  I can't remember exactly what it says about it off the top of my head, but to be sure at least on one mission (I'm sure there were others) a Wenger knife went into space.  It seems they had some leeway for a couple small personal items.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: January 18, 2014, 02:07:11 AM
It is a MASTER CRAFTSMAN.

gb Offline Philby

Reply #82 on: January 18, 2014, 11:23:13 AM
Mine arrived today :ahhh came in a silver box, screw in scissors, can key in philips, no hook or chisel.  Like the thicker blade on these older saks.  My blades with rostfrei stamped on them, are noticeably thicker than the ones with stainless.  Hope these get sold out soon or I'll end up getting another one!  :pok:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: January 18, 2014, 11:51:18 AM
Me, I prefer the Craftsman. I got 3 the other day for 31 euros each...
The Master Craftsman/ Astronaut is a weird width. Add pliars and it's the perfect SAK...

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 12:23:50 PM
Apparently a Wenger was also carried by a Space Shuttle crew member.
Here is an interesting document from the website linked above by Karl
http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Wenger_Shuttle_Document.pdf
The picture on the first page of the document (that I suspect comes from the Wenger Anniversary book) was also used in a Wenger catalog (see attachment)
Yes, just to confirm; there is a copy of the NASA Crew photo in the Wenger Anniversary book.  I can't remember exactly what it says about it off the top of my head, but to be sure at least on one mission (I'm sure there were others) a Wenger knife went into space.  It seems they had some leeway for a couple small personal items.

Is this it??
Wenger space 001 (Large).jpg
* Wenger space 001 (Large).jpg (Filesize: 142.28 KB)
Wenger space 002 (Large).jpg
* Wenger space 002 (Large).jpg (Filesize: 103.04 KB)
Wenger space 003 (Large).jpg
* Wenger space 003 (Large).jpg (Filesize: 56.39 KB)
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Philby

Reply #85 on: February 01, 2014, 12:52:18 PM
Really like the astronaut, good choice of tools in a relatively compact frame. Liked it so much i've bought a Ranger off ebay :facepalm:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #86 on: February 01, 2014, 03:47:33 PM
Really like the astronaut, good choice of tools in a relatively compact frame. Liked it so much i've bought a Ranger off ebay :facepalm:

:tu: The Ranger is a great knife.  I think if folks considering the purchase of a Huntsman realized how much more they were getting in a Ranger, many would buy one instead.  It only has 1 more thin layer, but 5 more tools!  As mentioned above, the Master Craftsman, and likewise the Ranger, are very tool-dense.
- Terry

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #87 on: February 01, 2014, 06:42:41 PM
This is a cool one:

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline condcup

Reply #88 on: February 01, 2014, 07:32:18 PM
This is a cool one:

(Image removed from quote.)

Yes, that's correct! 8) There's one on eBay, I might have it very soon. :cheers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291069836563?

gb Offline Philby

Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:52 AM
thats pretty 8). Hope you get it! Is the nasa and shuttle inlaid or printed on?  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%