Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC philosphy

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: EDC philosphy
Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 09:17:13 AM
I'm with ya glorn, I carry 85% of that as well.  I find that in my daily life I use most of it.  No one messes with me about it because my preparedness has saved their butts as well.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 09:22:19 PM
Excellent thread, I'm rather new in EDC, and just starting my kit. Reading this is helpful!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 09:35:51 PM
Excellent thread, I'm rather new in EDC, and just starting my kit. Reading this is helpful!!
You should really take a look here then.. Click: Maxpedition EDC Organiser Owners Club.
Lot's of different EDC set-ups..  :tu:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 09:45:45 PM
You should really take a look here then.. Click: Maxpedition EDC Organiser Owners Club.

:tu: TNX!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 09:49:10 PM

:tu: TNX!
That'll keep you off the streets for a few hours..  :D :D

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:58 AM

My advice is to run away now and never search EDC on the web ever again. Seriously, save yourself. Do it before it's too late.
G

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:24 AM

My advice is to run away now and never search EDC on the web ever again. Seriously, save yourself. Do it before it's too late.

Yes.  Doing that will save you untold amounts of money.  Whatever you do, do NOT search "Maxpedition".  Failure to comply here will result in massive hemorrhaging of your bank account...

(all that said, my new Malaga is doing just dandy as an EDC bag  :D )

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:11 AM

Yes.  Doing that will save you untold amounts of money.  Whatever you do, do NOT search "Maxpedition".  Failure to comply here will result in massive hemorrhaging of your bank account...

And a painful discharge from your wallet.

Those same symptoms can be avoided by never visiting this place (MT.org), or Countycomm.com

These are bad places. Surely your mother would disapprove.

I've always liked the look of the gearslingers, but there aren't enough owner images online to make a clear decision. Perhaps you could snap some?
G

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 12:08:48 PM

It's too late now... Now I'm like fish in a dry, looking at pics eyes and mouth wide open  :o fighting for breath and  :drool:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 03:31:44 PM

Those same symptoms can be avoided by never visiting this place (MT.org), or Countycomm.com

I've always liked the look of the gearslingers, but there aren't enough owner images online to make a clear decision. Perhaps you could snap some?

I plan on posting a review thread of the bag, I just have to find some time.  Keep a lookout for it, I will definitely do it sometime.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 05:39:52 PM
Not a fan of Maxpedition personally :-\ I'm in the backcountry this year almost as much as I'm in town working my construction job. So I don't have an EDC. I have a backpack full of gear for climbing, one for mountaineering, and a lunch kit for work. The only thing consistent (don't carry my wallet or phone into the woods) is my car keys and my spork. I don't bother carrying a multi to the jobsite, as it would end up destroyed, and I wouldn't even need it.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:04 AM

I plan on posting a review thread of the bag, I just have to find some time.  Keep a lookout for it, I will definitely do it sometime.

Wow, what a time to have said that about my Maxped bag.  I just won a High sierra backpack at an employee golf tournament at my Resort, and it is perfect for my work and home needs.  The Malaga is being returned to Amazon.  I was pretty happy with it, and since I spent over $120 on it, I wasn't about to tell my wife that it wasn't quite what I needed for work EDC, especially since I haven't even paid the credit card that it was billed to yet.  It didn't hold my padfolio that I use religiously at work, and it was just a bit small.  I really did like the bag, and I may still do a review of it, but sadly there will be no pics. 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 11:51:27 PM
Did someone say Maxpedition?

What's that then?  :angel:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:16 AM
auto bump
(insert witty quote)

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 07:11:26 PM
My EDC Philosophy:

First of all, i don`t like to get comments on things dangling from my belt or the funny hipbag some are using to EDC their gear. I like to just use pockets i got with my everyday clothing and those pockets should not be crammed with stuff as i think it looks silly.
Therefore, my EDC kit HAS to be as small and lightweight as possible. As i still want to be prepared for lots of things its always a matter of the right balance of functionality vs. bulk.

My EDC kit has to satisfy some basic needs:
Passport, Money and EC-Card
Mobile Phone
Knife

Those will be in almost every EDC-kit for a good reason.

I have some more needs which need to be satisfied:
Light
Pliers
Scissors
Bitdrivers
Ducttape
Pen&Paper
Saw
(Diamond)File
and some tickets, ID, cards...

I cover all those points with just four things i carry:

My smartphon, my modded LM Skeletool (with scissors), my Zebralight H501 and my wallet which contains spare bits, pen & paper, ducttae on RFID card (which works through the tape) and all those things you expect from a wallet.

The headlamp has its place on the wallet in one pocket, tool and mobile are in the other pocket.
That way i only use the two front pockets of my jeans and they aren`t even crammed with stuff.

Thats how it looks:

Things i want to improve in the near future:
I will be making a new better looking and smaller wallet.
I will exchange the Zebrlaight H501 for the new H51 which i just ordered. It will get a pocketclip to be carried independently from the wallet.
I will get a new mobile Phone - this time an Android device which will replace most of  my computers and will be used as my primary computer. Other PCs will only be powered on for some CAD-modelling or perhaps even some gaming (which equals to about one boot per month).

T - `cause i like tea :)

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 07:20:32 PM
My EDC Philosophy:

First of all, i don`t like to get comments on things dangling from my belt or the funny hipbag some are using to EDC their gear. I like to just use pockets i got with my everyday clothing and those pockets should not be crammed with stuff as i think it looks silly.
Therefore, my EDC kit HAS to be as small and lightweight as possible. As i still want to be prepared for lots of things its always a matter of the right balance of functionality vs. bulk.

My EDC kit has to satisfy some basic needs:
Passport, Money and EC-Card
Mobile Phone
Knife

Those will be in almost every EDC-kit for a good reason.

I have some more needs which need to be satisfied:
Light
Pliers
Scissors
Bitdrivers
Ducttape
Pen&Paper
Saw
(Diamond)File
and some tickets, ID, cards...

I cover all those points with just four things i carry:

My smartphon, my modded LM Skeletool (with scissors), my Zebralight H501 and my wallet which contains spare bits, pen & paper, ducttae on RFID card (which works through the tape) and all those things you expect from a wallet.

The headlamp has its place on the wallet in one pocket, tool and mobile are in the other pocket.
That way i only use the two front pockets of my jeans and they aren`t even crammed with stuff.

Thats how it looks:
(Image removed from quote.)

Things i want to improve in the near future:
I will be making a new better looking and smaller wallet.
I will exchange the Zebrlaight H501 for the new H51 which i just ordered. It will get a pocketclip to be carried independently from the wallet.
I will get a new mobile Phone - this time an Android device which will replace most of  my computers and will be used as my primary computer. Other PCs will only be powered on for some CAD-modelling or perhaps even some gaming (which equals to about one boot per month).

:tu: :tu: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 01:34:52 AM
I'm a pocket kind of person so I appreciate your minimal setup  :tu:

I find it difficult to carry what I want without bulging pockets though  :-\
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 11:31:41 AM
Since virtually every person carries some or other "stuff" with them most of the time, the thing that separates the members of this forum from the general public is that we are conscious of what we carry, and why, we are organized about it, we seek out more efficient and effective gear for our purposes, and we put thought and research into these things by learning from each other.

There are two reasons for EDC gear:
1. Efficient and effective tools used regularly
2. Being prepared for the less common possibilities in life, that could turn out quite poorly for the unprepared (FAK, flashlight during daytime, weapons, redundancy).

1. is easy enough to do, especially when you've been here for a little while.
2. is where many people are vastly underprepared, though they won't know it until it's too late (with potentially life or death consequences).
2. is also where some people regularly haul around many things that they will never ever need, at significant costs in bulk, weight, $$$, excessive redundancy, and pushing the bounds of legality, among other potentially unintended consequences and unnecessarily high costs.

Some people are very conscious of what, where, why, how, when they carry each item, others...not so much:

I'm disorganised so my EDC is whatever I have lurking in my pockets. :-\

Some are very consistent with what they carry...

I wanted to point out that my EDC philosophy is based on the fact that your EDC is not subject to alteration depending on what you have planned for the day.

For myself, my EDC loadout is consistent, redundant, but also relatively basic, though on the heavy side for someone who doesn't EDC a bag; in addition to which I'll sometimes take a bag with gear that is less often necessary.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 12:09:37 PM
I'm very minimalistic when it comes to my EDC. I carry a Squirt (P4 now, S4 soon, mod later) in my pocket and a SwissCard Lite + flashdrive + spare contacts in my wallet. I have a paracord lanyard around my neck with keys + a painkiller for headaches. Will add a Streamlight Nano Light to that when it gets here.

My laptop bag has a bit more room so it has an ITP A3 EOS upgrade edition, and another flashdrive.

us Offline asupernothing

Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 01:28:25 AM
For myself, my EDC loadout is consistent, redundant, but also relatively basic, though on the heavy side for someone who doesn't EDC a bag; in addition to which I'll sometimes take a bag with gear that is less often necessary.

good input and anyalsis of the topic.

one question though, what is your specific edc and your reasons for carrying it?
(insert witty quote)

dk Offline CUTZ SIX

• Stay sharp
Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:53 PM
I carry my iphone 4 (phone, internet,email,flashlight,gps,compass,camera..you get the drift), and a SAK spartan, and keys, wallet.

At work I carry a SwissTool original.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 10:31:25 PM
Lately, my summer carry has been rather light, consisting of my two keys, Big Skinny Wallet, Micra, Photon II, and handkerchief.  Granted, I've been known to go from minimalist to maximalist in a day or two. @_@

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #52 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:48 PM

one question though, what is your specific edc and your reasons for carrying it?

1. Vic Tinker. Basic tools, good knife. I used to carry a larger multi on my belt, but realized I only used one or 2 of the tools, so it was kind of pointless...I decided to dowsize to something that was good for pocket carry.

2. Keys with a bottle opener (I know there's one on the SAK, but I've carried this thing for 10 years and I'm kinda attached to it, go fig..) and a mini LED, because you never know when you'll need a light. It's not the best, but I got it for 5 bucks and it does the job when I get home at night and need to see where I'm going without lighting up the whole house and waking up the fam.

3. Car Key and opener fob.

4. Wallet with basic stuff. (license, debit cards, insurance stuff)

5. Handkerchief, because every man should carry one.

6. Android smart phone. Phone, internet, games and such. I never figured myself for the smart-phone type, but I can't go without this thing since I got it.

7. Wenger Standard issue watch. Best watch I've owned. Period. My wife picked this up for me about 3 years ago and it's been on my wrist ever since.

8. Stainless steel crucifix on a balled chain around my neck. Because I need all the help I can get.

This is what I carry on my person every day. I often carry a bag that has a larger light, multi-tool, and various other items ranging from a lighter to a FAK, But I don't keep that with me every day, usually just for work and travelling. The listed stuff is what I won't and can't leave the house without.
"

Offline ITtechguy

Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 06:24:17 PM
I always need a bag to be able to carry what i want/need :)

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Reply #54 on: November 30, 2010, 01:31:27 AM

Just saw your question. What I carry and where:

LF Pocket:
Cash in money clip
Loose change
Chapstick
Fenix L0D (or sometimes P1D)
2 metal pens & metal Sharpie

RF Pocket:
Keys, LM Micra, 2 fauxtons
BM 941D2CF

LR Pocket:
Usually nothing, or odd receipts, directions, lists, notes, or other, not regularly carried, flat items.

RR Pocket:
County Comm LA leather wallet

Right hip: Springfield XD SC 9, black, with TruGlo TFO night sights & Viridian C5L light/green laser, in a Shielded hybrid holster, usually IWB, but sometimes OWB.

Left Hip: Maxpedition 5x7x2 containing:
ASP Key Defender (OC) (koppo wrapped with 1/8" bungee cord)
BM 530
LM Knifeless Fuse
Spare 16 rd mag
Fenix P3D Rebel 100 (koppo wrapped with 1/8" bungee cord)
Pad of paper and pen
3 CR123s & 1 AAA
Flat metal credit card shaped tool
T-Mobile G1 Android smartphone

Any time I'm wearing pants, the above is consistent.

Sometimes I carry a Maxpedition Jumbo containing:
water (either 24 oz nalgene or similar sized metal bottle)
Swiss Rescue Tool
LM SuperTool 300
Fenix P1D
chapstick
More spare batteries
Duct tape
Electrical tape
zip ties
paracord
1/8" bungee cord
FAK
Pad of paper
mints
hairbrush/mirror, with hair ties
multiple pens & 1 Sharpie
Blackhawk leather/kevlar gloves
fingerless leather gloves
digital camera
bandana
buff
paper map of the area
cigarette lighters and matches
water free hand sanitizer
fauxtons
small Buck knife sharpener
County Comm whistle
Wet wipes
velcro straps (don't know what they're called, perfect for lashing items to the bag)
a book
a couple of granola bars of some kind or another
a glowstick or two

So, it's kinda heavy, with or without the bag, but the weight doesn't bother me.
As far as why I carry what I do, I don't want to be without things I expect to need, or things that will make my life simpler, but that's a generic answer, and doesn't answer to anything specifically.

I keep my cash separate from my wallet so if one gets lost, dropped, stolen, at least I still have the other.

I keep most of my tools (flashlights, MT, phone, etc.) on my left side, to keep my right hand free for a weapon.

Weapons because, well, it's a violent world. Redundancy of weapons because murphy happens. Only one gun because it's reliable just don't expect to need a 2nd.

2 knives, one on each side, should be enough. Knifeless multitool because the tool slot could be better used by a tool I'd actually use. (though if they made a good multitool with a left hand opening knife, that might take the place of the fuse and 530, but I don't like the Power Assist, and haven't seen another).

Multiple flashlights because sometimes batteries die at the wrong time, or one gets dropped, or somebody else needs one. 

The 5x7x2 is bulkier than I like, and I'm thinking of making a back left pocket holster for the BM 530, Fuse, and P3D, and then downsizing the belt pouch.

As far as the bag goes, the primary reason for carrying it is to carry water and sometimes food. Then, as long as I'm carrying it, I may as well put a few extra things in there, and next thing you know it's 15 pounds or so!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 06:00:40 AM

Multiple flashlights because sometimes batteries die at the wrong time, or one gets dropped, or somebody else needs one.

100% agree.  I carry two on my person and 3 spares in my jumbo.  The spares are for lending, I don't hand out the two I carry on my person.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #56 on: December 01, 2010, 02:39:30 PM
Right pocket: Cell
Left pocket: Wallet and small-ish MT (pulse or small SAK)
And if I'm camping or something, out goes the pulse and I strap my ST200 to my belt.

That's it.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:47 PM
Minimalist over here.

For me, EDC is what you NEED to carry EVERY DAY. I don’t need a full sized MT every day, so I’ve stopped carrying one on a daily basis. My day-to-day needs are met with pocket-sized tools.

So right now my current EDC is a Leatherman Juice CS4 (with tweezers and eyeglass screwdriver in it) and an alox soldier modded w/ scissors.   

I have *real* tools if needed, but there isn’t a need for me to carry them 24/7.. otherwise I’d be walking out the door with a batman utility belt.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:55:39 PM by shamus »

us Offline asupernothing

Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 10:04:15 PM
I’d be walking out the door with a batman utility belt.

You should see my EDC kit; my belt is getting so heavy that I will need to get another belt to hold it up...

It seems that everytime I get a new tool/knife/light I try to add it to my daily gear, but I am so reliant on what I already carry that I don't want to remove the things I am comfortable with.

Today I carried:
ST300
Skeletool
Juice S2
Manix2
Stanley Boxcutter
LD01

Wallet/Phone/Keys
(insert witty quote)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!