Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Toolchest plus

jock1 · 28 · 4280

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Wenger Toolchest plus
on: October 30, 2007, 11:56:09 AM
I have spent some time with my first but not my last Wenger.My first impression was that it is a lot smaller and more manageable than I was expecting the scissors feel a bit more robust but don't give as clean a cut as the Vic ones possibly to do with the serrated edge
I have treid out both the wood and metal saws having teeth right to the end on the metal saw made a difference
The can opener has to be the sharpest I have come across ,the pliers proved useful when removing chewed up rawl plugs when decorating
The various other tools have had a work out too.This is an allround useful bit of kit and is my new E.D.C yes it is big but not too big that I find it hard work carrying it
Will it mean that I have no need of a Swisschamp?
Answers on a postcard

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:30:11 PM by micky d »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Wneger Toolchest plus
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:12:47 PM
I have spent some time with my first but not my last Wenger.My first impression was that it is a lot smaller and more manageable than I was expecting the scissors feel a bit more robust but don't give as clean a cut as the Vic ones possibly to do with the serrated edge
I have treid out both the wood and metal saws having teeth right to the end on the metal saw made a difference
The can opener has to be the sharpest I have come across ,the pliers proved useful when removing chewed up rawl plugs when decorating
The various other tools have had a work out too.This is an allround useful bit of kit and is my new E.D.C yes it is big but not too big that I find it hard work carrying it
Will it mean that I have no need of a Swisschamp?
Answers on a postcard

Good man!

Nice write up mate, I'm glad your getting on with it ok :)

I do think the scissors are a superiour design to the ones on the Victorinox's, but like you say they don't give as clean a cut.

The pliers are definatly better though :)

As for wether or not it's better than a swisschamp? as I think you'll agree they do complement each other pretty well, as one has some better feature than the other and vise versa, I do wish I'd gotten the chance to use the wrench though :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Re: Wenger Toolchest plus
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 01:30:36 PM
Just need to see your super dupper sheath for it now mate :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 03:04:45 PM
I'm not familiarwith the Tool Chest plus. Here's a pic I found on the net:

What is the plastic layer?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:49:30 PM
There's a little more info here:

ToolChest Plus

And more here:

ToolChest Vs SwissChamp

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 04:34:02 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

It the ruler/compass holder mate :)

Big bugger aint it :D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 04:42:43 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

As already stated it's a ruler and compass holder The toolchest is spot on big but not too big and my new E.D. C

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 04:18:09 AM
Thanks for the info.

By the way, I added two photos to the SAKWiki page on the Tool Chest Plus HERE.

But the info there about the knife seems a little...sparse. Would any of you knowledgable gentlemen have more to add?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline zackhugh

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 12:53:12 AM
I think the complement of tools on the Tool Chest Plus is the same as on the EvoGrip S54.  At least it looked that way to me, the primary difference between the two being the handle shape/surface.

Def's article on SOSAK had a lot of info on the Tool Chest Plus.  One thing that isn't frequently mentioned is the awl.  I don't particularly like the Wenger awl; I personally prefer the pointier/edged Vic one as a multipurpose blade.  And it's kinda cool to have a compass available, but it does end up making the knife quite a bit wider, doesn't it?  That said, I am a big fan of the S54 and glad I picked one up.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 02:43:33 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering, the plier layer does close better than that.  It looks like the person who took that photo had the plier joint slipped into the "open" position then they tried to close the pliers, leaving them sticking out like that.  The pliers actually close so that just a small lip of the plier mouth sticks out so it can be opened easily.

These aren't great pictures of the folded pliers, but you can see that they don't stick halfway out like in the pic that Bob found.

Apparently there is a need for the instructions that come with SAKs....
 ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 04:23:18 PM
I forgot to mention how much I love these scissors.The other night I managed to clip back a rather aggressive thorn bush just with my Wenger the scissors work about as well as my secateurs .I cleaned and oiled it straight after (HONEST MICK)

Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 04:39:29 PM
I forgot to mention how much I love these scissors.The other night I managed to clip back a rather aggressive thorn bush just with my Wenger the scissors work about as well as my secateurs .I cleaned and oiled it straight after (HONEST MICK)
See that you do :police: ;) :D :D

Offline FredKJ

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 11:17:17 PM
Ever since I got my Swiss Champ Plus last week I came across this and have serious tool envy.  I am wondering if I might be getting a dependency issue.  So it is smaller and more managable than expected?  I wonder if the compass is really a usable one?  Swissoutpost.com has this for $63.59.  They also have a belt sheath for it.  You guys must save me from certain temptation.  So if I have a Champ Plus why should I get this? 

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 12:33:34 AM
Swissoutpost.com has this for $63.59.   

I have them for $58. delivered. FYI, the sheath shown there is by Victorinox but it should fit ok.
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 12:41:41 AM
Why shop anywhere else?   :D

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 12:44:06 AM
That SOSAK comparison did show some issues like a bad magnifying glass and a compass that isn't that great.  Has anyone here had any experience with that?  It does seem that all things being equal Victorinox is a bit better than Wenger.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 12:45:42 AM
  It does seem that all things being equal Victorinox is a bit better than Wenger.

Who's going to have first go on this one then?  :D
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 12:56:20 AM
Darn did I start a holy war?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 12:59:31 AM

No not at all.  It's just the Wenger vs Victorinox is quite a common debate both here and on other forums.  Ultimately it's down to personal preference.

I for example prefer Victorinox but having said that from what I have seen (bearing in mind I have not handled one) I prefer my Wenger SI to the Victorinox soldier.
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 01:03:47 AM

No not at all.  It's just the Wenger vs Victorinox is quite a common debate both here and on other forums.  Ultimately it's down to personal preference.

I for example prefer Victorinox but having said that from what I have seen (bearing in mind I have not handled one) I prefer my Wenger SI to the Victorinox soldier.

I got the Champ Plus because it was an incredibly good deal.  It's the Champ without the pliers for $30.  The pliers look much better on that Wenger though with the slip joint.  Could actually be useful. 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 01:06:13 AM

I got the Champ Plus because it was an incredibly good deal.  It's the Champ without the pliers for $30.  The pliers look much better on that Wenger though with the slip joint.  Could actually be useful. 

I personally agree with you there.  The slip jointed pliers do look more usable than the Victorinox ones.  They will never be a match for a full sized plier based tool though.
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 01:10:22 AM

then the SOSAK comparison about the compass and magnifier didn't look good.  I do land navigation and orienteering and a compass that isn't reliable is junk and not worth the extra bulk.  Would like  to know if anyone has had experience with it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 01:52:44 AM
The compass isn't that great, and neither is the magnifying glass.  They are functional in an emergency, but I wouldn't want to rely on them day to day.

I got the Champ Plus because it was an incredibly good deal.  It's the Champ without the pliers for $30

What you have is a Chamion Plus, not a Champ Plus.  The SwissChamp is actually the newer version of the Champion which was discontinued in the mid 80's but was reissued for numerous additional runs, including a special run made for Wal Marts.  The SwissChamp also comes standard with Plus scales which include a pen and pin slot in addition to the standard toothpick and tweezers.  The eyeglass screwdriver is also included with the SwissChamp.  At the time that the Champion was being produced originally, there was no such thing as Plus scales, or else it likely would have had them as well.

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 02:12:15 AM
The compass isn't that great, and neither is the magnifying glass.  They are functional in an emergency, but I wouldn't want to rely on them day to day.

I got the Champ Plus because it was an incredibly good deal.  It's the Champ without the pliers for $30

What you have is a Chamion Plus, not a Champ Plus.  The SwissChamp is actually the newer version of the Champion which was discontinued in the mid 80's but was reissued for numerous additional runs, including a special run made for Wal Marts.  The SwissChamp also comes standard with Plus scales which include a pen and pin slot in addition to the standard toothpick and tweezers.  The eyeglass screwdriver is also included with the SwissChamp.  At the time that the Champion was being produced originally, there was no such thing as Plus scales, or else it likely would have had them as well.

Def

Mine has a pen and pin.  I was wondering if the patented eyeglass screwdriver from Victorinox would fit in a Wenger cork screw?  Actually for practical purposes the EvoGrip S557 looks better than the tool chest.  The only thing it would be nice to have is the saw.  The magnifier and compass from what I've read aren't all that great and add to the width without real added functionallity.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 02:45:33 AM
The eyeglass screwdriver should fit in almost any other corkscrew.

Yours has a pen and a pin because it's one of the Champion Plus' which is an updated reissue of the old Champion.  The original Champions didn't have it but being a premium model, the new ones do.

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 02:55:08 AM
Well the Tool Chest looked nice but I found the EvoGrip S557 for $44.10.  It seems like a better knife with a locking blade and locking screwdriver.  I read a review on SOSAK.  The extra stuff on the Tool Chest didn't seem that useful and added bulk.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 11:54:11 AM
Well the Tool Chest looked nice but I found the EvoGrip S557 for $44.10.  It seems like a better knife with a locking blade and locking screwdriver.  I read a review on SOSAK.  The extra stuff on the Tool Chest didn't seem that useful and added bulk.

Tim again will probably be your best bet here.  ;)
I'm back!!

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 12:07:04 PM
Yeah give feline vet a chance as he'll probably be cheaper :) plus all the dosh goes to charity so everyone wins :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD