Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

108mm GAK versions

au Offline Cyclone82

108mm GAK versions
on: March 09, 2011, 10:15:14 AM
Hi, I wasn't quite sure what section to put this in as it wasn't strictly SAK. Mods feel free to move it if needed.

I am going to try and collect every 108mm GAK knife. I would like to know the full official list of contractors. Yes I have seen the article on SOSAK but I would like to know which ones are military contracts and which are repros. Even the author of that article had doubt as to which ones he had were genuine military issues.

So the makers I have come up with so far

Victorinox
Aitor
Adler
Robt. Klass
Mil-Tec
CCM
B & H
I.C.A.R
TSR
Fox
MFH

I may have forgotten a couple

My question, which ones are genuine and which ones are repros?

I think I will still try and get the repros too, if I at least know im getting a repro then I wont be disappointed when it arrives.

Where is a good source to get a Mil-Tec one? Everyone seems to have a Mil-Tec but I cant seem to find one. A lot of sellers don’t say what make they are. Dont really care what country i have to buy from but prefer if i can easily order online and use paypal as it makes it so much easier, especially if its from a NON english speaking country.
Thanks

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: 108mm GAK versions
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:30:14 AM
Im also collecting GAKs, although just picking them up when i see then going cheap, i have the Mil-tec version and TBH there is nothing wrong with it,i read it was not issued but im not %100 on that , i also now have the CCM version, i can take pics for you to see the differences if you wont, main this is the ccm has no match strike and the mil-tec does, also the ccm has a slightly longer CS and ifts better than than my mil-tec, scale colour is different as the ccm's is darker but i guess this could be a age related thing. bllades very similiar and awls very close, i can take pics , i did have ZAG's passaround vic GAK for a week so a vic is next on my list , looks like you have all makes there , there is many articals on the net about gaks including a good one on SOSAK  :tu:

Mil-tec  :tu:
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/survival-accessories/pocket-and-survival-knives/german-army-pocket-knife-in-new-319798.html

http://xn--ksportl-mwa0e.hu/2010/11/09/gak-a-ritkan-emlegetett-rokon/

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:36:29 AM by Zed »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:08:32 PM
Yeah i dont really care about quality as most wont be used, oh well ikm trying to get 2 of each, one for collection and one im not affraid to use. Ive got a couple on the way. Its just that i would like to be able say/know what is repro and what isnt. I did see felinevet say Miltec was a contractor, but then i also read Miltecs are made in China so who knows.
I would really like a Victorinox with file/match strike. I bought a bunch of NOS ones but im pretty sure they have no file. Im pretty happy because i thought it would be impossible to find a NOS Vic Gak. Got a few extras i can hopefull swap to get ones i want.

Were the Vic Gaks issed with saw guards? The ones ive got comming from a German guy who was in the army and runs a store, said he only sells 'real' army stuff, not repros and that they come in pouches but no saw guards.

Thanks for Miltec link
Is your CCM an un-issued one?

Were the types with pliers ever issued to the army, say maybe in the 1990's-up till 2002? I see them around with the same scales, plus also in the Spanish army version too.

While i think of it is the Adler company, the same one who built Adler motorcyles in Germany up till 1958 and then sold everything to Yamaha Japan and then went on to make Adler sewing machines or type writers i believe? Im restoring several Adler motorcycles and was just wondering if the Adler GAK is from the same company after they stopped making bikes and if its worth while to get a few to show the Adler motorcycle community? The bikes do have a eagle logo but its a bit different to the one ive seen on the GAK.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:30:15 PM by Cyclone82 »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:23:52 PM
delete this post please
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:29:42 PM by Cyclone82 »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:34:01 PM
I dont think the mil-tec pliers version was ever issued, the mil-tec i have is just like the ccm other than a few things i mentioned, ill be surprised if i ever get all of these as i mainly use my stuff and not good at having things in draws  :D these GAK's come up cheap now and then and i dont mind spending £5-6 but not much more, the mil-tec comes with a guard although i broke mine after 2 weeks as top bit snapped off, the ccm didnt come with one, although iys been well used, not sure if it was ever issued but i guess it was at some point in its life, sounds like you have lots on the way so pics to copare would be great as i wont bother at the moment as only got 2  :D   :tu:

another
not sure of make ?
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/German-Pocket-Knife/prod_502.html?added=1

and this guys seems to have loads at different grades/prices,
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1315

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:24:11 PM
A pic of the CCM version, no match strike

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:26 PM
Where is a good source to get a Mil-Tec one? Everyone seems to have a Mil-Tec but I cant seem to find one. A lot of sellers don’t say what make they are. Dont really care what country i have to buy from but prefer if i can easily order online and use paypal as it makes it so much easier, especially if its from a NON english speaking country.
Thanks
What country are you in? Mark your profile for the country indicator and it will make it easier for some one who might want to deal with you. I have a couple of old GAK's I might part with. However I am in TEXAS.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:19:16 PM
Thanks
What country are you in? Mark your profile for the country indicator and it will make it easier for some one who might want to deal with you. I have a couple of old GAK's I might part with. However I am in TEXAS.

he sent me a pm earlyer , think he lives in australia  :tu:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:18:17 AM
Yes Aus. For the record i will ship to or buy from anywhere. international shippings is no hassle for me. Thanks. I see the thread was shifted. I wasnt really sure it belonged in the swiss section so decided not to post it here initially.

ca Offline pthycrpg

• Tourist Season in the Alps
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:20:30 AM
Collecting G.A.K.'s could turn into another life time hobby. There is a good reference on the SOSAK website written by Spork60.
I have oggled that collection for many years :o
So here is my two cents.
C Herbertz.JPG
* C Herbertz.JPG (Filesize: 32.91 KB)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:11 AM
Thankyou, never seen that one before!. Will add it to the list. I have already found some un-issued ones. Dont want to speak to soon tll i get them though, but i dont think they are going to be too hard to find. i think maybe its hard for you UK guys that cant buy knives from overseas. Thankfully we have no ridiculous laws here yet.
More reading last night tells me that the Mil-Tec is a repro and not a issued knife, but with these articles you just never know whos writing them.

Victorinox
Aitor
Adler
Robt. Klass
Mil-Tec
CCM
B & H
I.C.A.R
TSR
Fox
MFH
C.JUL. Herbertz
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:47:10 AM by Cyclone82 »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:37 PM
And the list grows  :D  good luck collecting these cyclone i look forward to seeing lots of pics, saves me collecting them  :D ill stick to one and use it as my camping knife  :tu:

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:46:05 PM
 ::)
contactors01.jpg
* contactors01.jpg (Filesize: 41.5 KB)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:34 PM
Very good. i cant quite read the last few on the right though.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:44:32 PM
The three on the right are variations of the Victorinox tang stamp.

For what it’s worth…

I bought the majority of my GAKs from lots of used surplus and based the contractors on what I found in them. I've only purchased a few as singles.

Unless it is a Victorinox, I would be a little suspect of any in "new" or “un-issued” condition. I doubt if my Klass was an issue knife…I haven’t seen any others and mine is in unused condition. I suspect the Herbertz may not be contract either.

I don’t think any there was any contract with an Italian supplier. I’ve seen in person GAKs marked “Italy” on the tang. That may rule Fox out as I believe they are Italian.

I've never seen a “MFH” marked GAK.

I have one sterile GAK that came in a surplus lot…there are no markings at all on it. :think:

ca Offline pthycrpg

• Tourist Season in the Alps
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:50:36 PM
I guess this post  is going to add up to my four cents worth.
#1 Is the camera shy MFH  I would rate the quality of the MFH on par with the Mil-Tec model.
#2 Is a Chinese G.A.K. copy. This was the only new knife that arrived in the mail with the scales already falling off.  :oops:
I can see this post going on and on for some time. I know there are more out there.
MFH.JPG
* MFH.JPG (Filesize: 40.41 KB)
China.JPG
* China.JPG (Filesize: 29.77 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:56 PM
Thanks for the MFH pic :tu:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:37 PM
These are the three Victorinox variations I have...

-Two-line tang stamp
-Four-line tang stamp
-Four-line tang stamp, matchstrike on saw
contactors02.jpg
* contactors02.jpg (Filesize: 30.21 KB)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:07:48 PM
I know there are more out there

Please add to the list then

I have new, Victorinox, Aitor and Adler comming from an ex german army guy who was in army for 15 years so he tells me.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 11:43:37 PM
Most of my keepers and part of my GAK midden  ::)
contactors03.jpg
* contactors03.jpg (Filesize: 47.89 KB)
contactors04.jpg
* contactors04.jpg (Filesize: 50.42 KB)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 07:27:22 AM
Wow!, you got heaps. Where do you find them all? Do you sell any? I got a lot of catching up to do.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 05:12:55 PM
Unfortunately you're a bit late in the game. GAKs appeared on the surplus market after the re-unification of Germany. They were downsizing and consolidating the two armies and selling off a lot of surplus. I bought my first batch of GAKs from a Army Navy store where I was able to pick and choose them out of a crate :P

The last vendor that had a fair quantity for sale at reasonable surplus prices was SMKW...that was probably four years ago.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 09:51:49 AM
Well today i got 2 NIB Mil-Tec GAKS from a German ebay seller. Words can not describe how disapointed i am. I knew they wouldn't be victorinox standard but these Mil-Tecs are extremely bad. They have TONNES of sildeplay in the blades and cork screw, so much its not funny.The blade is also horribly blunt. I dont know if there is 2 Mil-Tec's? Eg one made in China and one made in Germany?? I just cant believe how bad they are. I did notice the Mil-Tec logo is a little different to other Mil-Tec logos ive seen before.

The box was glossy and grey with colour photo of the knife On the box it says 'Sturm Handels GmbH D-72108 Rottenburg' and on one side it says 'German pocket knife' and on the other side it says BW Taschenmesser. Art - Nr 15337000

Now i have seen guys say on here that Mil-Tecs were pretty good quality. They must of been made somewhere different because these ones i have got are very bad and leave a bad taste in my mouth.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:01 AM
Well today i got 2 NIB Mil-Tec GAKS from a German ebay seller. Words can not describe how disapointed i am. I knew they wouldn't be victorinox standard but these Mil-Tecs are extremely bad. They have TONNES of sildeplay in the blades and cork screw, so much its not funny.The blade is also horribly blunt. I dont know if there is 2 Mil-Tec's? Eg one made in China and one made in Germany?? I just cant believe how bad they are. I did notice the Mil-Tec logo is a little different to other Mil-Tec logos ive seen before.

The box was glossy and grey with colour photo of the knife On the box it says 'Sturm Handels GmbH D-72108 Rottenburg' and on one side it says 'German pocket knife' and on the other side it says BW Taschenmesser. Art - Nr 15337000

Now i have seen guys say on here that Mil-Tecs were pretty good quality. They must of been made somewhere different because these ones i have got are very bad and leave a bad taste in my mouth.

possibly 2 different versions as my mil-tec came in a white box with no writting on and a green pouch, the pouch is crap, but the knife has no side play at all, i re-fitted one of the scales as slightly sticking up one end but TBH wasnt that bad just me being picky, im happy with mine and blad came very sharp, i would say that the CS on the CCM was a little better but as i never use a CS i wasnt that bothered,

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 03:03:58 PM
I had green pouches. One was un done at seam. might try weld it up again. The tools are really quite loose. Was it that UK site you got yours? iI will post tank stamps of mine to see how the log compares to yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:24 PM
I had green pouches. One was un done at seam. might try weld it up again. The tools are really quite loose. Was it that UK site you got yours? iI will post tank stamps of mine to see how the log compares to yours.

what one  :D  there is a couple of uk sites that sell them, i just went to check again the blades on the mil-tec and discovered i sent out the mil-tec instead of the ccm , the ccm's are way looser but it is used, infact so is the CS but the saw is ok, still well useable,

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:19 PM
I vaguely recall...and I may be wrong...but I think the Mil-Tecs were made in Germany at one time before manufacture was transferred to China a number of years ago.

Speculation on my part, but it may be the early manufacture knives were Bundeswehr spec and possibly one of the contractors. The impetus for the shift may have been cancellation of the contracts when the new model 111mm was adopted.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 07:13:17 PM
I have one that was issued to the Croatian Military Police (VOJNA POLICIJA). The HV logo stands for Croatian Military. I got it in a trade some 12 years ago and it served me great as a camping knife. No blade play. The only stitching I ever needed was it's fault. :) Only has the Rostfrei stamp on the blade, no manufacturer info, and I couldn't get any either.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 07:48:50 PM
I have one that was issued to the Croatian Military Police (VOJNA POLICIJA). The HV logo stands for Croatian Military. I got it in a trade some 12 years ago and it served me great as a camping knife. No blade play. The only stitching I ever needed was it's fault. :) Only has the Rostfrei stamp on the blade, no manufacturer info, and I couldn't get any either.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

never seen this one before  :tu:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:48 PM
Nice...I haven't either

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00