Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

108mm GAK versions

au Offline Cyclone82

Re: 108mm GAK versions
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 04:00:32 AM
I will have to try one from a UK site and see if they are a bit better. Its not like they are ultra expensive. Spares can be chucked in the tool box at work. :) I should have a couple Alders, Aitors and Vic's this week and just bought some Kissing cranes now.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 03:39:10 PM
http://www.cutlery-shop.com/knivesknifeblockscutlery/kissingcraneskniveshenandroosterknives/klaasfederalarmedforcespocketknife.php

I got one of these comming but from a different site that was all in German but the knife was a bit cheaper.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:41 PM
http://www.cutlery-shop.com/knivesknifeblockscutlery/kissingcraneskniveshenandroosterknives/klaasfederalarmedforcespocketknife.php

I got one of these comming but from a different site that was all in German but the knife was a bit cheaper.

kissing cranes seem to be very well made so this should be a good one  :tu:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:31 AM
Here is just an updated list. If any collectors out there know of anymore please add them to the list so we can get this as complete as possible

Victorinox
Adler
Aitor
CCM
Kissing Cranes/Robt.Klass
B&H
TSR
Mil-Tec
Fox
MFH
I.C.A.R
C.Jul. Herbertz
China stainless
Rostfrei

Today i got a really nice CCM version. It appears brand new and came in pouch alhough i think it was sold as 'used' Im quite impressed with it. Quality is very good.

I also found this
http://militaryslides.com/german-knife/

Im not sure its talking about the GAK or something else and is just one of those stupid sites that come up in search engines. they are talking about a 'Widmann' knife' but the photo appears to show a CCM? It seems they are talking about silverwear too so im not sure.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:31:29 AM by Cyclone82 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:13 AM
There is also a version with only a rostfrei stamp like the pic I posted earlier.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 11:34:03 AM
That was the croatian one wasn't it? Thats not exactly a 'GAK' but i put it on the list anyway. Mainly just looking at GAK's here.

I have now had a closer look at the CCM I got today. I must say I am very impressed with it.
Compared to my Vic. Trooper the CCM has a nicer feel in my hand because the profile of the scales is very slightly more rounded.  It feels more higher quality to handle too. I’m not sure what it is but the Trooper feels slightly more ‘plasticky and cheap’ compared to the CCM. All the tools are tight, the corkscrew is outstanding and everything has a good snap equal to the Trooper or slightly better but definitely no worse. I am giving this one a 9/10. The only nit picks are that the eagle logo is moulded slightly crooked (they are all probably like that) and the tools are not as highly polished like the Vics so you can see they are very minor insignificant issues really.  Basically if it didn’t have CCM on the blade you could easily think this is a Vic. So yeah I’m very impressed. I have some more used CCM’s coming too. There was no file or saw guard on this one. I’m beginning to wonder if the GAK’s never had saw guards because ive rarely seen them with the guards still.

What year did the 108mm GAK first get issued and when was it discontinued as a military issue tool?

Were GAK's ever dated or marked with a military issue approval stamp or engraving like the SAK?

I read the other day that the Mauser company were actually the ones that came up with the GAK design for the army.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:08:22 PM by Cyclone82 »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 02:53:51 PM
I think i may have found another one just marked 'AB' but cant comfirm yet.

What pocket knife did the German army have before the 108mm as shown throughout this thread?

de Offline duder

Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 04:31:49 PM
The 108mm GAK was first issued in 1976 and was used until the new 111mm GAK was issued in 2003. But Victorinox only delivered the 108mm GAK until the end of the 80s. After the german reunion the former east german knife-manufacturer Adler was the main contractor (as far as I know).
And as far as I know there has never been a date, stamp or special mark on the GAKs.

I guess Victorinox was not very happy about the contractor change around 1990 but there has to be a certain connection between the Vic GAKs and the Adler GAKs because they use the exact same scales. None of the other GAK versions used these scales. From a distance they all look alike, but if you compare them side by side you can see that the Adler and Vic scales are identical. Maybe the scales were made outside Vic, and Adler used the same source for them  :think: .

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 01:03:01 AM
But Victorinox only delivered the 108mm GAK until the end of the 80s. After the german reunion the former east german knife-manufacturer Adler was the main contractor (as far as I know).

Are you sure about that? The Victorinox Safai series came out in the late 70's so if Victorinox hadnt already started making the GAK then, it doesnt quite make sense.

If what your saying is correct, it would either seem like

A) first other companies started making the GAK and then sometime lets say around 1978 Victorinox 'saw a GAK' and then decided to copy its design and make the Trooper, Hunter, Solo etc etc but not decide to make a GAK till the late 80's like you say

or

B) Many companies including Victorinox started to make the GAK in 1976 to the militarys specifications ans shortly after Victorinox thought hey, we can use this design and make similar knives for our civillian market and thats when they came out with the Solo, Trooper, Hunter, safari etc.

I would have thought the military would have wanted Victorinox to be a contractor right from the word do in 1976 due to their quality?

Yes CCM scales are a lot different to the victorinox. The dimple pattern is smaller, the edges are more rounded and the plastic feels more solid and has a slightly rubbery feel to it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:05:33 AM by Cyclone82 »

de Offline duder

Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:10 AM
Maybe my english is not the best, but I cannot see where the problem is. What I`m saying is: Victorinox made the GAK from 1976 until 1989/1990 (or so). I don`t know if other companies like CCM, Aitor and others also started in 1976. Maybe they started later.
The Safari series started in 1977 or 1978, so it makes sense to me.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:57 AM
Ahh thats better, lost in translation :D. I thought you were saying that Victorinox only started making the GAKS in 1990. Your wording was just a little funny for me, kinda depends on how you read it, but it sounded like you were saying that Vic only started delivering the GAKs around 89/90 to 2003. Nevermind. Sorry for the confusion.

de Offline duder

Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 09:40:44 AM
I`m sorry for the confusion !  ::)
I did not notice that it could be interpreted in different ways  :cheers:.

Yesterday I have sent an email to Ibach and asked about some of the things we have discussed here. Maybe they can tell us more about the history of the old GAK.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 12:41:27 PM
Does anyone know if you can get the saw guards for them? Im not sure where i found it but someone posted this somewhere.

Contact Victorinox and ask for a 'MAUSER BLADE SHEATH' Product code NSTKA8748.and save your fingers

It would be good if you can still buy the saw guard but i dont know how i would go directly contacting Victorinox from here and if they would sell a dozen or so of them, actually i would buy 20 or so of them if i could.

I still cant get over how good my CCM is :D. I am still waiting on new victorinox, adler, kissing cranes and aitor versions. It is taking weeks for shipping from Germany.  :(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:46:45 PM by Cyclone82 »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 09:41:27 AM
Exciting day today. My order of GAKs i had been waiting weeks for finally arrived. 6 Vics, 2 Aitors, & 2 Adlers. All new in pouches and one of the Aitors even came with a cool olive drab cord, well actually it is just a shoe lace. I will take some photos when i have decent light because my camera is hopless at night with the flash.

If any other collectors out there have a new Victorinox GAK with file i would be interested in a swap for one without a file as the ones i have dont have files.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:46:32 AM by Cyclone82 »

de Offline duder

Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 12:07:05 PM
Today I received some infos about the old GAK from Victorinox:

The old GAK originated from an already existing Victorinox knife model (probably the 108mm Solo, but that`s just a guess from my side). The woodsaw with canopener and screwdriver was new developed in cooperation with the german army.
The old GAK (0.8770.04) was made by Victorinox from 1976 to 1986. In 1985 the file was added to the woodsaw.

But the most interesting part is: From 1986 to 1997 Victorinox delivered parts for the knife to the Adler Messer GmbH.
I don`t know what parts (all ?), but that explains why the scales are identical and the quality of the Adler knives is so high.
I always suspected something like this... ;)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 12:39:27 PM
So they reckon that the Solo Adventurer came first then the GAK grew from that. Interesting.

Did the file ever appear on the Trooper or Safari?

I am comparing Adler to Vic now and they do look the same although the nail nick on my Adler is longer than the Vic. CCM and Aitor are definitely different though. There are even different green pouches

I have got the file on the Adler. Just wish my Kissing Cranes would hurry up an arrive

my Aitors must be pretty new because the logo on the blade is different to all the others ive seen. It says Aitor Inox-Spain and has the little Aitor logo. Quality is very good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:44:33 PM by Cyclone82 »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 01:06:33 PM
But the most interesting part is: From 1986 to 1997 Victorinox delivered parts for the knife to the Adler Messer GmbH.
I don`t know what parts (all ?), but that explains why the scales are identical and the quality of the Adler knives is so high.
I always suspected something like this... ;)

That's interesting! Nice to know. Thanks :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 01:52:50 PM
I can confirm there is a version marked 'AB' I haven't been able to find one for sale yet though.

Offline chris777

Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 05:02:32 AM
I recently scored one that I assume is a reproduction as its marked china on the blade.

It is pretty nice for a china made knife though. the corkscrew is also a bit off.

I had been looking for the real thing on and off for a while, I had even forgot what they were called.

hopefully I got a decen't deal at $2 even if it is a reproduction.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 05:22:41 AM
Where did you get your 'china' marked one?

I have a heap of GAK's comming and will be able to advise on what are the good repros etc. I may even have some for sale, im really not sure yet. So far ive been surprised because the CCM and Aitors have definitely been better than Victorinox in my option and i have had 6 Vics to compare to. The CCM and Aitors have far stronger back springs and a heavier 'snap' but thats not saying the Vic is bad in anyway. The corkscrew and awl on the CCM and Aitor are far stronger.

I have recently found another 4 or 5 different marked versions, most would be repros and some i can not 100% confirm yet, but expect to see tghe list updated in the next week or so.

Found out my Kissing Cranes have gone missing it appears and they were sent via DHL with tracking from Germany. Theres not ment to be these probs with DHL. Anyway the seller is looking into it. Ive never had problems with normal Deutsch Post from Germany.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21:59 AM
I got an odd gak today. Marked with only 'Rostfrie' on the reverese side of the blade to where it is normally. Tool finish is more of the brushed satin sort like the CCM. It came in a pouch with a sticker on it saying 'made in west germany' The main blade has a little side wobble.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 12:27:47 PM
Todays arrival. I will be able to start my own surplus store soon :P :)
These are Vic, Adler, Aitor, ICAR, B&H, CCM.
Still looking for the elusive TSR.

Im still in the gathering process but when most of thats done i will start posting proper photos of tang stamps and more details etc
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:30:47 PM by Cyclone82 »

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:06 PM
do anybody knows where is I.C.A.R. from??
custom swiss army knives

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:30 PM
Todays arrival. I will be able to start my own surplus store soon :P :)
These are Vic, Adler, Aitor, ICAR, B&H, CCM.
Still looking for the elusive TSR.

Im still in the gathering process but when most of thats done i will start posting proper photos of tang stamps and more details etc
(Image removed from quote.)

Cool collection.  :salute:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #54 on: April 28, 2011, 01:02:10 AM
Thats only half of it and they are all used. I have a fair few more new ones. Once ive picked through this lot some may be for sale.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 09:39:22 AM
So I’m not the only one who thinks some other GAKS were better made? My Adler GAK feels so much better than my Vic Trooper. Stronger, firm springs, a chunky blade, nice file on the saw…
Beefiest non-locking blade I ever saw on a SAK-ish thingamagig.
If not for the atrocious plastic-y feeling scales and the lack my most used tools (scrissors, toothpick, prybar-cap-opener, various screwdrivers) I’d EDC it.

PS: Would explain the quality if Adler parts came from Victorinox.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:05 PM
I added Infor as far as I could:

Victorinox
Aitor
Adler
Robt. Klass
Mil-Tec - Repro
CCM
B & H
I.C.A.R - Issued, but bad quality of steel (esp. the springs) on all examples I have handled
TSR
Fox - Not sure, Repro AFAIK
MFH - Repro
C. Jul. Herbertz - Repro

Where is a good source to get a Mil-Tec one? Everyone seems to have a Mil-Tec but I cant seem to find one. A lot of sellers don’t say what make they are. Dont really care what country i have to buy from but prefer if i can easily order online and use paypal as it makes it so much easier, especially if its from a NON english speaking country.

Coincidentally I have a few used ones on sale:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50907.0.html

ru Offline Novichok79

Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 09:18:37 PM
Hi everyone! My first post here in the forum though I'm not really the newbie in knives )))
I collect only folders (basically military) and rare Swiss knives.
So my question. I've got 2 GAKs: well used Adler and unused TSR -see photo below.
Is the TSR an issued kind of GAK?
The quality is pretty good: no plays, well sharpened, nice snaps...
But it seems to me i heard that TSR is the same thing like Mil-Tec. The same company, just another logo...
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 207.56 KB)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:22:43 PM by Novichok79 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 12:18:15 AM
Welcome to the forum, Novichok79. :waving:

I'm not sure if the TSR was issued, some of our German members would probably know better. As for it being Mil-Tec, it's the first time I hear of it. Mil-Tec's are the very worst ones I've handled, poorly finished/unfinished. Mine even had some pins that hadn't been peened. :faceplam: And the ones that had been peended looked like it was done by a child during Crafts in school. If your TSR works properly, it probably isn't a Mil-Tec. ;)

@Thomas,

Sorry, just now seeing this. A few years back every outdoor shop and ebay/amazon seller had them, just searching BW Tashenmesser was enough to get you plenty of results. Now it seems all of them stock only the MFH reproductions.

I found one though. Can't tell by the pic but the description says it's from Mil-Tec. http://www.ebay.de/itm/171290956669

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 12:04:37 PM
I added Infor as far as I could:

Victorinox
Aitor
Adler
Robt. Klass
Mil-Tec - Repro
CCM
B & H
I.C.A.R - Issued, but bad quality of steel (esp. the springs) on all examples I have handled
TSR
Fox - Not sure, Repro AFAIK
MFH - Repro
C. Jul. Herbertz - Repro

Where is a good source to get a Mil-Tec one? Everyone seems to have a Mil-Tec but I cant seem to find one. A lot of sellers don’t say what make they are. Dont really care what country i have to buy from but prefer if i can easily order online and use paypal as it makes it so much easier, especially if its from a NON english speaking country.

Coincidentally I have a few used ones on sale:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50907.0.html

Enki, Sorry - I misquoted the post while adding some more makers - The passage in red is fro mteh original poster  :facepalm:
I´m aware of where to buy GAKs -They are plentiful if you do look around.

I doubt that MIL TEC and TSR are the same. Until now I have not seen an issued TSR, but that is no evidence that they have never been issued.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%