Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Cape Union", leatherman clone or something else?

Offline Cleanser

"Cape Union", leatherman clone or something else?
on: March 12, 2011, 03:17:45 AM
Does anyone here know anything about a multitool called a "Spirit" made by "Cape Union"? I was wondering if it is a juice xe6 that the company re-brands (similar to how you can buy Leathermans from LL Bean that say LL Bean) or a really good clone? It appears to be identical to an xe6.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: "Cape Union", leatherman clone or something else?
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:56:35 AM
I don't know but maybe bob will know. Are the ll bean models still marked leatherman?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:49:13 AM
It is almost certainly a cheap knockoff I'm afraid. :-\ There are loads of bad Chinese-made copies of the Leatherman Juice out there, and this is surely one of them. :P

Check out this page here for instance:

http://www.capeunionmart.co.za/get_it/category/default.php?fk_category_id=111

They have a Leatherman Micra listed for R250.00, while the Cape Union Spirit is listed for only R199.00 ::) To be cheaper than a Micra, it must surely be one of the knock-offs. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:25 AM
Bob
I have bought gerber and bear tools from ll bean but I never heard of leatherman rebranding their tools. Do they do that for ll bean?

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:34:10 AM
i have yet to see a leatherman tool not say leatherman on it somewhere.
even if there is advertising for another company, it still says leatherman on it too.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:49:58 PM
Leather does not rebrand their tools. If it does not state Leatherman on it, then it is not a Leatherman.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:06 PM
I live in South Africa and I regularly buy from Cape Union Mart, a retailer known to sell quality goods.

Their multitools is not a re-brand of Leatherman although it may appear so from pictures. I have looked at them before and the only reason why I have not bought it is because of the guarantee of Leatherman.

However I can say that their products is ne next best alternative as it will definately last longer than the Chinese cheapies. The Multitools of Leatherman however is not so cheap as some others are, but quite a number of people buy them because they are cheaper than Leatherman.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:07:48 PM
i have yet to see a leatherman tool not say leatherman on it somewhere.
even if there is advertising for another company, it still says leatherman on it too.
Thanks, that is what I thought.

tc Offline dbtrethewey

• techi/flashahoilic
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:16:29 PM
One of the easiest ways to determine the quality of a knock off is to try filing your fingernails with the file. That is the hardest product to make on the Leatherman. Ltg files were made in Switzerland and Austria for decades , they bought out the equipment line and started manufacturing in Portland , last I heard they were still bringing them in as not happy with their own quality.
Some common other points are the edges of the screwdrivers - crisp and clean?  and the hardness of the stainless ( much harder to test ) 
The Leatherman tools will all say Leatherman
Bruce Trethewey

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:13:19 AM
One of the easiest ways to determine the quality of a knock off is to try filing your fingernails with the file. That is the hardest product to make on the Leatherman. Ltg files were made in Switzerland and Austria for decades , they bought out the equipment line and started manufacturing in Portland , last I heard they were still bringing them in as not happy with their own quality.
Some common other points are the edges of the screwdrivers - crisp and clean?  and the hardness of the stainless ( much harder to test ) 
The Leatherman tools will all say Leatherman

thats awesome.
I cant say it enough.....leatherman is awesome!
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24