Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Leatherman Tool on its way?

Jors · 10 · 3244

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
on: March 06, 2011, 06:28:07 PM
I am not aware of Leatherman's plans apart from the new Sidekick and Wingman.
However I have noticed that the new MUT and Supertool 300 pliers head is fitted with the "wedges"that force out the spring safeties that prevents the OHO blades from opening while the pliers is open. On both these tools.
They have no use on the ST 300 and only used on one side of the MUT.
That makes me think that Leatherman however has plans for the future: They are going to use this pliers for another big tool. I guess the Surge 2 is on its way!
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline CENTURION

Re: New Leatherman Tool on its way?
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:29:53 PM
Interesting observation.  :think:
They definitely planned ahead when they designed those pliers. Then again, maybe the MUT was what they were planning ahead for, as it does need them. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the next generation of Surge had that style plier head  :D

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:20:26 PM
I noticed this as well but doesn't the MUT have those safeties in place to stop the outside opening blades? I know Leatherman will probably use those plier heads again in future because the replaceable wire cutters tend to be pretty popular.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:57:08 AM
I suspect a Surge/MUT morph might be in the works for non-firearm users. :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:15:03 AM
I suspect a Surge/MUT morph might be in the works for non-firearm users. :multi:

Oh dude...
 :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

us Offline IrishMike

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:04:44 PM
Agreed, I would LOVE a non-gun version of the MUT. LOVE.

LOVE. :drool:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:25:38 AM
Mee too .

Chris

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:17 AM
I think a lot of us would like a civilian version of the MUT. I know I would, but I think a civilian version should be between the Skeletool and MUT in size and weight. Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely that Leatherman will design a new frame.

I've been looking at the MUT and think it is designed to modify. If you replace the saw with a T shank adapter, the scraper with an awl and the punch/disassembly tool with scissors you would have an interesting but very heavy tool. The weight issue is why I think the tool needs a smaller frame.

Having said all of that I do hope Leatherman is replacing the Blast with a medium sized tool with the MUT format. Here's hoping....

us Offline IrishMike

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:14 PM
Agreed, Since I love to carry my Skeletool on my belt-loop, I would love to have a Charge sized tool with the same clip/bottle-opener end.

And those long bit drivers  >:D

pl Offline Fistach

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06:11 AM
Wave, Charge, Surge and other tools with OHO have this lock. The blades won't open when you use the pliers.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%