Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

show me your rough riders,

Zed · 287 · 18564

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
show me your rough riders,
on: March 12, 2011, 08:37:02 PM
I got this stockman on friday due to reading peaoples thoughts on these slip joints on here, ive also ordered a peanut rr as well, please show me your RR  :tu:

my new stockman,

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Re: show me your rough riders,
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:52 PM
Zed,

Ok, here you go. Most of my Rough Riders........

And I got about a dozen or so more I ain't got any pics of yet. Mostly MoP with Abalone shield versions.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:13 PM
 :o wow 2xtap that is a great collection, theres a lot there of not seen before, also i notice that some have different logos design's , mine has tested sharp on it,

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:39 PM
Zed,

Some of these are several years old so some of the blade etches and the like might not be familiar to you. But most are still available, and some of the older stuff is still being made and shows up at SMKW's often.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:25:34 PM
Next week I should have my RR Toothpick coming in the mail, so seeing none of those
posted yet I'll try and take some good pictures of it and post 'em.  BTW nice collection
and pic's you guys.  :tu:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:57:02 PM
2xTap:  How is the Scout knife on driving screws, opening cans, and popping bottle caps?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:57 PM
Next week I should have my RR Toothpick coming in the mail, so seeing none of those
posted yet I'll try and take some good pictures of it and post 'em.  BTW nice collection

Which handle did you get? I got the stoneworx version, which turned out to be too flashy for edc use.

gb Offline rlocock

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52:50 PM
2xTap shots #8.9.10.11.are interesting.
Are these still available?
Can you give a bit of information about them please?

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 02:57:16 AM

Which handle did you get? I got the stoneworx version, which turned out to be too flashy for edc use.

It's the Sawcut bone, kind of dark in colour, not a real eye catcher but I got a pretty
good deal on it.  So you don't like your stoneworx one huh?  How's it look for fit and
finish did they do a good job on it?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 03:24:17 AM
The F&F is good, the only thing that didn't fit was one of the front bolsters has a gap with liner. It's just too showy for my taste as far as EDC goes, yellow+red+blue+silver+white+shiny is too much, but it does look cool on display.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:54:30 AM
Tortoise Whittler - not bad for the money but its not as snappy as I like.

Yellow Whittler - same knife as above with different scales however the blades are nice and snappy.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 05:20:52 AM
2xTap:  How is the Scout knife on driving screws, opening cans, and popping bottle caps?

Have no idea as I've never used either of them. They are sitting in my Scout Knife collection currently unused. That said, they should work fine and handle quite a bit of use.....these are some of the heftiest and thickest Scouts I've handled in this size range. Almost overbuilt. That said, this particular Rough Rider pattern is a homage to the old Case 6445R pattern and has the old Can Opener style on it. I have never used this style of can opener before.....not sure how well these work.

2xTap shots #8.9.10.11.are interesting.
Are these still available?
Can you give a bit of information about them please?

rlocock,

Pic 8 & 9 are Rough Rider "Marlin Spikes". These are approximately 4 1/2" closed. Very similar in build to those that were made by Case and Camillus. They are still available and can be had in both Red or Amber Jigged Bone, White Smooth Bone, and Smooth Yellow Delrin.

Pic 10 & 11 are Rough Rider "Utility Knives". Typical Scout pattern at 3 3/4" closed. These are burly and are noticably heavy and thicker than similar patterns done by other manufacturers. They are still available and can be had in either Red or Amber Jigged Bone.

2xTap

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 06:10:06 AM
That said, this particular Rough Rider pattern is a homage to the old Case 6445R pattern and has the old Can Opener style on it. I have never used this style of can opener before.....not sure how well these work.

The french army knife (more like a utensil knife?) have that style of opener, works quite well once you figure out how to use it. (stab through lid and use the stud to lever against rim, and open from inside out)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:49 AM
Tortoise Whittler - not bad for the money but its not as snappy as I like.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yellow Whittler - same knife as above with different scales however the blades are nice and snappy.

is the top one a older model with the longer type nail nick ? mine has a very strong snap so will be interesting to see what the peanut is like when it arrives, there is many more RR i wont to get and at these prices even i can afford to collect them, ive been EDC the stockman and find it very usefull and nice to fondle  :D plus eye catching, and all for under £9  :tu: keep em coming guys ,looking good  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 11:55:53 AM
Did I not post these pics already?  I must be having a 'senior moment'. :-[  Anyway I've got an orange bone Whittler and a white bone Canoe.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:51 PM
Did I not post these pics already?  I must be having a 'senior moment'. :-[  Anyway I've got an orange bone Whittler and a white bone Canoe.

not here you havnt gareth  :D dont worry i work with fok with dementia and im convinced i have it already  :ahhh

very nice gareth , i like the canoe and that whittler is on my list already, not sure ive seen that conoe before,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:55 PM
Here is a selection of some of the unusual/uncommon (I think…) RR knives I have.

Part 1, Larger knives:

A trapper and a lockback, both fully metallic with engraving on them, they look really nice, especially the trapper, but are also quite heavy for their size.
Their quality is very good, the trapper looks way more expensive than it is.

An orange/brown/tobacco bone large linerlock, again this looks beautiful.
This bone colour looks quite nice, and there are a few RR models using it, the colour description depends on the seller.
It feels like it was a slipjoint that was converted to a linerlock, the spring that keeps it open or shut is as strong as on any slipjoint. (think Victorinox locking knives)

Deerslayers, really well made, especially when I compare them to some, new, Schrade deerslayers I have. Strangely, even though one of them belongs to the Long Rifle product range, apart from the scales, they are identical; blade, quality, finish. They both feel like they can handle some serious use.

Coke bottle, this feels like a lighter version of the Deerslayer, I bought it mainly to see what these type of scales looked like.

Usually these larger knives go for less than the smaller ones, maybe because they are not very “friendly looking” and/or too big to carry in a pocket.
IMG_6408.JPG
* IMG_6408.JPG (Filesize: 33.17 KB)
IMG_5185.JPG
* IMG_5185.JPG (Filesize: 18.11 KB)
IMG_7866.JPG
* IMG_7866.JPG (Filesize: 38.99 KB)
IMG_5087.JPG
* IMG_5087.JPG (Filesize: 42.8 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 12:31:32 PM
very nice DKs ive not seen any of these before,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:44:10 PM
Part 2, small knives.

A four blade small stockman. This is too small to actually use (real pain to open), but it does give you 4 sharp blades in a small package.

A small Damascus blade lockback, all metal, would make an unusual alternative to the really small spydercos, for your chain.
Again, heavy for its size, feels solid but, because of the Damascus pattern, it tends to rub on its liners when opening, hopefully this will not remove part of the pattern.

A wooden scaled stockman, looks good and has the quality to match its looks, would make an interesting alternative to a plastic scaled stockman.

Finally a wooden scaled linerlock with smooth one hand opening, a thick (3mm) blade (6cm long, 2.1cm wide) and a push button closing mechanism, similar to the one on the Wenger Rangers.
It enables you to close the blade without having to place your fingers in its way, like you would with a standard linerlock.
IMG_8901.JPG
* IMG_8901.JPG (Filesize: 57.13 KB)
IMG_8902.JPG
* IMG_8902.JPG (Filesize: 45.33 KB)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:46:22 PM
very nice, i like the small stockman, is it smaller than say a buck 303 stockman cadet, i like this size for pocket use,

here is some small pouches i made this am, well used one of my wifes old hand bags  ::) saves them getting scratched up by loose change in my pocket,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 01:03:14 PM
Good work, now the knives have a home! :tu:
I am allways worried about scratching them so I either don't carry them, or try to put them alone in a pocket. Of course once they get a few scratches.......  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 01:24:42 PM
Good work, now the knives have a home! :tu:
I am allways worried about scratching them so I either don't carry them, or try to put them alone in a pocket. Of course once they get a few scratches.......  :D

:D  yeah once roughed up they become real users  ;) but i carry change alot so thought this was a good idea, plus did my bit for recycling  ;)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:18 PM
dks,

The Deerslayers (pattern called a "Clasp Knife" by other makers) is a workhorse of a knife. My very first Rough Rider was a Deerslayer in Buffalo Horn. I got it back in 2004 if I remember correctly. I got it to use as a beat around knife, and as a test knife to see how well made the RR's are. It had become my general around-the-house beater blade. I still have it, still use, it's ugly now.........

I've used this thing for just about everything that needs cutting.....slicing boxes, cutting cord/rope, slicing plastic bands, cutting through all kinds of clamshell packaging, wallpaper, plastic ties, carpet, you name it. And it's been thrown about and dropped more times than I can count. It held up well to everything I threw at it. A while back I was cutting/trimming up a carpet remnant. A heavy plush carpet that had a back weave that was thick. It started off well slicing through with little effort but that stuff would dull a blade up pretty quick and when this started to get dull it got a bit tough to cut through. Anyway, I was working through a section of this carpet and was having to pull the knife through.......I was griping the knife real hard when I heard a "POP". And this is what happened........

From gripping that wide frame so hard and pulling that knife through I had slightly crushed the frame liners together, and in the process cracked the Buffalo Horn scales at the pins in a few spots.

Still works like a champ though. After all these years of use and some abuse it does have a little blade play but the backspring is solid, the edge sharpens up to a razor and holds that edge real well. It's scratched and beat up, the bolsters have some corrosion, the handle material is cracked, and the liners are bent in but the knife works just as good as it did when I first got.

This one knife alone proved to me how good a Rough Rider could be. And the Deerslayer makes a real good work knife.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 04:46:41 PM
dks,

I also wanted to add......that Large RR Sodbuster you have that has a linerlock set-up with the backspring, that set-up is quite common and can be found in use on patterns such as Electrician Knives as well as youth style Scout Knives. Even now Great Eastern Cutlery offers runs of their #23 and #73 trapper patterns with both backsprings and an a linerlock. Queen Cutlery does the same with a version of the Teardrop Jack. And Case builds their Mid-Folding Hunter with both a backspring and linerlock, as well as the model which your Rough Rider was designed from as Case has made their Large Sodbuster at times with a linerlock. There have been others made in the past done with this backspring/linerlock combo.

And just a FYI......that small four blade Rough Rider you have with yellow scales that is pictured with that Damascus lockback. That pattern design is actually called a Congress.  :tu:

2xTap

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 05:23:05 PM
Congress, oh yes I knew the name when I bought it, I just forgot it and went for the easier naming option of , "if it has more than 2 blades just call it a stockman"  :D

Also see PM for the pictures

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 05:49:42 PM
2xtap, obviously two people that knife wasn't designed for... you and Schwarzenegger.  :D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 06:17:05 PM
2xtap, obviously two people that knife wasn't designed for... you and Schwarzenegger.  :D

LOL........I'd like to think I am that strong!  :viking:

But it comes down to me using the knife a little harder than I should of and not taking the time to keep the edge honed up sharp as I was working. But it did prove that they are quite durable despite my moderate abuse. And it also proved that their heat treat is decent as the edge held up longer than I thought it would, and it didn't chip or roll on me. And it didn't take much to bring it back to shaving sharp.

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 06:49:25 PM
Well, I guess it would make a good project knife for new scales etc.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:44 PM
Sean,

If I had the skills and the tools it would be something I would tackle.

2xTap

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 01:46:24 AM
RRs are fun to modify...
rr_marlin01.jpg
* rr_marlin01.jpg (Filesize: 25.46 KB)
rr_wharnie01.jpg
* rr_wharnie01.jpg (Filesize: 44.21 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds