Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone knows about MountainBikes.??

AHB · 12 · 1463

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Anyone knows about MountainBikes.??
on: March 12, 2011, 11:18:52 PM
One of my customers at work have hooked me up with a MTB-dealer, who's building the bikes himself.
He offered me this bike for Dkr. 4500/£520/$840 on a mail earlier tonight.
But I have no idea if it worth that kind of money and there's a few hours drive each way if I'm going to see it and have a try.. Anyone familiar with the brand/setup or have any ideas what to ask about when talking to him..?

Thanks in advance..  :)

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: Anyone knows about MountainBikes.??
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:35 PM
no idea alan - dont recognize anything on it from what we have in the uk, paul (Zed) might be more help

its also missing pedals :P
I

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:54:20 PM
Hiya,questions I'd be asking are:1)What is the frame material?Personally I still like cromolly steel frames,but you should expect to here its 5000sris ali.
2)What group set is it?At least Delore by Shimano,Maybe XTR,or the Sachs equivilant.
3)Are the Brakes hydrolic or cable operated?
4)What type of shocks?How much travel,are they coil spring,or air/oil types?Are they adjustable for rebound and preload?
5)have a look at the wheel sets...

I'd reckon you should be getting an ali frame,100mm travel forks adjustable for preload and rebound,and entry level hydrolic brakes at that kind price.But most importantly...RIDE IT!If it dont feel good under you,it aint no good regardless of price!

This from the man still riding his '99 SpeSmurfpillsed Hardrock :D

ps soz for the spelling
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:58:48 PM
usually when you buy a bike you add your own pedals. It's the riders deal to pick what pedal setup they want.

:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:02:57 AM
usually when you buy a bike you add your own pedals. It's the riders deal to pick what pedal setup they want.

Never come across that over here.

At first glimpse the shocks look a little thin
I

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 01:53:50 AM
When you're planning on taking this bike to the woods every weekend, you should at least get Shimano Deore derailleurs (I don't know if "derailleur" is also an English word, but that's how we call it in Belgium, the derailleurs are the little devices that push or pull your chain to another gear).  Anything with Deore, LX (since 2009, LX is replaced by SLX), XT or XTR on it is good.  Deore being entry level, XTR being the professional stuff (and in my opinion, overkill for the average user). 

There's also another brand than shimano, this is called Sram, in short, Sram X7 is good, Sram X9 is better, Sram XO is professional stuff (and again, in my opinion, overkill ...).  Maybe they changed the names, I used to be a mountainbike freak a couple of years ago, but the last 3 years or so I haven't been paying attention to new stuff that came out ...

I believe that the front suspension is a Manitou Axel, I don't know much about this fork but I do know that I'm not a big fan of Manitou suspension, heard a lot of complaints about them on the Belgian mountainbike forum.  When I bought my Merida Mission bike, it normaly had a Manitou black on it, but I switched this immediately for a Rock-Shox Reba Team (and on my other Merida I have a Rock-Shox Reba Race), and in my opinion, Rock-Shox offers higher quality than Manitou, but that's just my 2 cents.  I heard a lot of stories about the Manitou forks, that they only work good for a year or so, than they start to get problems, and when they're 2 years old, they often have to be replaced, again, I have no personal experience with them, but a lot of members on the belgian mountainbike forum complained about them.

Can't tell anything about the brakes because I can't see what kind of brakes they are ... (a few years ago I could have told you this with my eyes closed, but now ...  :-[).

Anyway, without knowing what stuff they put on the bike, it's hard to say whether or not this is a good buy.  Hope you can get some more info on things like derailleurs, shifters, brakes, ... 

Greetings from Belgium,

Eric

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:48:41 AM
I've arranged to go see it next weekend. :)

Ragos Alu Frame
Front suspension: AXEL
Brakes: HAYES NINE med 160 skiver front/back 
Gearskifter styr: Deore 9 speed ( 27 gear)
Garnityre: Deore octalink
Shifter/back: XT
Wheel: shimano nav, GID DP17 rim

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:08:38 PM
I've arranged to go see it next weekend. :)

Ragos Alu Frame
Front suspension: AXEL
Brakes: HAYES NINE med 160 skiver front/back 
Gearskifter styr: Deore 9 speed ( 27 gear)
Garnityre: Deore octalink
Shifter/back: XT
Wheel: shimano nav, GID DP17 rim

ok TBH alan its a good price with the spec on it, frame looks like 7005 ali, good solid frame if not harsh but ive used 7005 for years and its good off road, brakes good, deore spot on and reliable,XT shifters work a treat so no problems there, wheels will do you for years if looked after ie check spoke tension when you clean the bike, this bike will last you years mate and good price going on spec, £520 sounds spot , oh never heard of that frame make but looks like solid welds and gussets on the headtube do make a difference strengh wise  :salute: oh make sure you have at least 2inches gap from your vitals and the top tube  ;)
manitou axel forks good forks but as always with suspension you get what you pay for them and these are middle of the road but will do you well and upgrade when you need to,
paul
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:11:57 PM by Zed »

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:58 PM
Thanks for your all your answers.. :tu:  One of my FB buddies responded positive about the bike too, so I really look forward to see what it's like..  :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:42:27 PM
Thanks for your all your answers.. :tu:  One of my FB buddies responded positive about the bike too, so I really look forward to see what it's like..  :)

:tu:  hope it works out allan, and then get out and enjoy  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:39 AM

Don't forget to check that 2" gap from your vitals to the top tube! :pok: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:59:42 AM

Don't forget to check that 2" gap from your vitals to the top tube! :pok: :D

:rofl:  yeah i told allan that , its vital  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%