Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife lore and superstitions

Pacu · 7 · 23298

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Knife lore and superstitions
on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:00 AM
I've always heard about getting a coin when giving a knife so that the knife doesn't cut the friendship.

anyone hear of this too? practice it just in case?

here are some other superstitions i ripped off from yahoo answers....

Knife superstitions

In some places it is traditionally believed that the giving of a knife as a gift to a friend will cut or sever the relationship. To avoid such ill luck, the receiver should give a coin in return so as to "pay" for the gift. It is common to include a penny, often taped to the blade, with a knife given as a gift which the receiver is to return as "payment".

Stirring liquids or powders with a knife is often considered unlucky. One rhyme says, "Stir with a knife, stir up strife".

In some cultures giving a knife as a gift is considered a sign of respect and trust. This is especially true in Finland where various non-governmental organizations, clubs and even government agencies traditionally give a puukko (a Finnish fixed-blade hunting/outdoor knife) as a gift to trusted employers or contacts. The puukko is always presented handle first as a sign of trust and friendly intentions.

In many places in the United States it is considered bad luck to hand an open, folding blade knife to someone. This is especially true in more rural areas where carrying a pocket knife is as common as carrying a set of keys. This may stem from safety issues. It is also believed that allowing someone to close a folding blade knife that you have opened is bad luck.

Just as with swords, regional and cultural superstitions exist regarding the treatment of knives that are used in combat. One common superstition states that it is bad luck to return a combat knife from its sheath without using it to draw blood. A variant myth exists surrounding drawing a knife (e.g. a sgian dubh) without drawing the blood of a cultural enemy (e.g an Englishman). Sometimes these superstitions are actually attempts to insult the culture of the supposed believer.

Some cultures believe that a knife does not belong to an individual until it has 'bit' them, or tasted their blood. Believers in such superstitions may intentionally prick a finger on the blade of a knife rather than risk a later, accidental cut. According to this superstition, the knife will stay sharp longer and is less likely to accidentally cut its owner once it has tasted his or her blood.

In some parts of America, it is considered bad luck to sharpen a knife, or any blade, after dark.

:like:    :MTO:

Offline P35

Re: Knife lore and superstitions
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:53:22 AM
I have always  of the don't give a knife superstition. Among my friends it was like,  I'll "sell"you this knife for a penny. I have no idea where this came from, but I have done it since childhood.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:27:43 AM
When I was a kid, my parents would tell me these knife superstitions but I never thought much of it.  One superstition they told me was that I should never give or receive a knife (or any type of weapon) as a Christmas or birthday present.  Many years later, a friend - knowing that I love knives - gave me a folding knife for Christmas.  Within a minute of receiving it, I had cut my finger with it.  Needless to say, I didn't keep the knife long after that.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:09:29 AM
I'm not superstitious my self (touch wood  :P) but I have exercised the old Sheffield tradition of selling sharps for "the smallest silver coin in your possesion". I feel it can add a nice touch to the gifting of a knife to those who have not heard of it ... which seems to be the majority of people to me. I doubt it's exercised much over here these days.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:10:07 AM
I to am from Sheffield. My dad was a grinder which did mean he made me a few blades. These where never given to me but 'sold' for the smallest silver coin. Fast forward to now and I carry this tradition on although I don't make my own blades but do gift alot of leathermans.

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:10 AM
The section where you talk about not being able to sheath a knife unless it has drawn blood. I believe the legend hangs around the Gurkhas quite persistently. They use Kukris and its a bit hit and miss as to whether or not it is true. I think its generally true in battle because it is kind of like saying once you decide to engage the enemy you have to defeat him or die trying.

As a side note a lot of my family here in the North East believe that you shouldn't gift someone a wallet or purse (or money box) without putting some coppers in "for good luck".

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:33:21 AM
I have found that a knife which is not yours or was not properly obtained will not serve you well. Interestingly enough anytime anyone picks up one of my knives without permission they seem to get bitten.
I'm not superstitious, but it seems to be an interesting correlation.
(insert witty quote)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD