Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Travelling to London for four days this summer, anything I should see?

Offline Lasse Eskildsen

Hey Guys. I'm travelling to London this summer for four days with the family and was wondering if anyone got suggestions of some stuff to see. One of the days I will be spending most of the day at Camden Market and one day we will go the normal tourist way and see the stuff you would normally see in London like Big Ben and such I guess? eventhough I am not much for mainstream tourism. I dont find it that entertaining generally to look at big buildings or mountains and waterfalls for that sake. I prefere something more upclose that gives you more of a memorable experience than just seeing something.
So I was wondering if any of you people from England can recommend something a bit alternative to see, like cool museums or unique to london shops and such.
And i ofcourse have to ask, is there any knife stores?  :drool:

Hope to get some suggestions  :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Go on the London eye - beware the queues though ;)

It really depends what you're in to. As for knife shops, I'm not sure there's much to shout about there. Camden is full of cheap things as well as a lot of hippy stuff and clothes galore... it's always a fun day there if you're in the mood to shop :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Benner's hair and Mike's, um, something.

Haven't seen these two around lately though.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Don't forget the Victorinox store in London . I havn't been there myself but if/when I next go to London I will .

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
I was in london back in 2003, 4 days also, on business trip.

First thing when I unloaded my stuff in hotel (somewhere near Earl's Court Expo center) I've get out and find firs pub. I've got inside and asked a bartender for a pint (first time in life ordering a pint, and felt great) of UK representative beer! So he asked me, light, dark, melt.... I've ended up "trying" every type of beer in that pub...  :cheers: :cheers: :drink: :rofl: :rofl:

I've met some guys from London at the expo, and last evening we went together out... Great evening also...

Try fish and chips...

:tu: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
There's loads to see, but all depends on what your interests are... I would research any museums etc online before you go, as the distances can be quite large, and it does require a bit of planning to maximize your visit. Also, special expositions tend to come and go, so it's worth finding out what will be there during your visit that you may want to catch.

I lived there for 4 years, but of course, defer to the brits for real advice.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
I was in london back in 2003, 4 days also, on business trip.

First thing when I unloaded my stuff in hotel (somewhere near Earl's Court Expo center) I've get out and find firs pub. I've got inside and asked a bartender for a pint (first time in life ordering a pint, and felt great) of UK representative beer! So he asked me, light, dark, melt.... I've ended up "trying" every type of beer in that pub...  :cheers: :cheers: :drink: :rofl: :rofl:

I've met some guys from London at the expo, and last evening we went together out... Great evening also...

Try fish and chips...

:tu: :tu:

Very sound and good advice  :salute:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
I lost a Sapphire Victorinox Huntsman in London (in 2006). Somewhere near Blackfriars Bridge.

Let me know when you find it :ahhh
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Camden is very interesting  :tu: if you sit and eat something by the canal Do not eat the Goat curry!!!  :salute:

The Tower of London is great! once you have paid to get in there is a free tour (you wait on the bridge inside,  there is a 'clock' telling you when the next tour starts) which is very entertaining I can not recommend this enough!!!  :tu: :tu: :tu:
And don't be afraid to shout out and join in the fun  :cheers:
http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/stories/yeomanwarder.aspx

I have copied these from British Blades forum
Just a small warning if you have kids with you there are 'adult clubs/shops' in the Soho area  :o

Romanys at 51 Brewer Street, Soho W1F 9UQ. A good, old-fashioned hardware store with a wide range of SAKs, Leatherman tools as well as Maglites and everything else including locks, fittings, tools etc.
http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1100/15429.php

A-Z Electrical & Hardware at 60, Brewer St, Soho W1F 9TJ. A vast range of SureFire torches and accessories (including The Beast!), Leathermans, SAKs, and - most unusually - a good range of quality Spyderco, Hattori, Gerber etc. knives.
http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1100/100865.php

Arthur Beale, ship's chandlers, 194 Shaftesbury Avenue, Covent Garden. Mainly SAKs.
 http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1376/416.php
Everything’s adjustable

Offline Lasse Eskildsen

Thanks alot for the replies people :) I looked up tower of london on wikipedia, that is the castle and not the giant ferris(spelled?) wheel, right? Course if I get higher up in the air than ten meters I throw up and faint  :-\
I will definately check out one or two of those places that sell knives if I get near, And who doesnt love some hardware?  :drool:
I mostly looking to see somewhat alternative places, not neccessarily underground. But things that isnt main tourist attractions, a bit of macabre is good too. I am not sure if it was in london or paris but i read somewhere that in the sewers of one of those cities there is a large room where the walls are covered in human skulls several centuries old, do any of you know if this is in london?
Also would you recommend going to camdon on a weekend or normal day? I heard both is best, the normal days not all shops are open but in the weekends i heard there is incredibly crowded.
I would like to visit some pubs, but we got my little sister on ten with us and besides that i dont like beer  :-\

Reinier, if I find your Sak I wont tell you or anybody else  :climber: :angel:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
just remember be careful carrying "gear" around especially in london
I

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Although I live near London, I never go into the city. I can't stand the crowds etc.

The natural history Museum is a must - http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

Also as above, go to the tower of London, fantastic.

Re Ryans comment - If you are going to EDC anything with an edge on it, look up the UK knife laws. . For more details read here - http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?8336-The-Law-FAQ

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
For my 2 pennys worth:

I agree with Sparky about A-Z Elaectrical,but the branch on Maddox Street is better and more user friendly,plus it 2 minutes walk from the Masons Arms who do a nice selection of real ales.Must look up the other two shops tho....

In shopping terms,its worth dropping into Hamleys on Regents Street,7 storey toy shop,and you cant go to London without being followed by security in Harrods!

My own choies for days out in or arround London would be something like the following:
1)Sad but true,do the bus tour!Londom Origional Bus Tours arn't bad bang for the buck,and a quick and informitive way of getting the usual tourist Smurf out of the road

2)Museams(one day I will learn to spelll) I would recomend are the Natural History(especially if you like dinosaurs),the Science(Babbages Differance Engine(!),the Gloster Whittle E29/36 and much much more),the British(basically everything the British Empire theived of interest),the Imperial War(kinda self explaitory,but avoid going thru Elephant and Castle)

3)if you dont mind a wee bit of a trip,the RAF Muesam in Hendon is stunning(and free to get into,plus is just round the corner from a frakking good model shop)takes about 30 minute on the tube,or Hampton Court Palace,Henry the 8ths little love nest on the Thames.Its about 35min from central London on South West Trains,or my personnal favourite,Brooklands.If you dont know what this is,Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the American version of Brooklands.Some awesome race cars,a former aircraft factory,and planes to make you weep!

Personnaly I'd avoid the Vic shop on Bond Street,as theres nothing unusal,or that you cant find much cheaper else where IMO

Lastly,I work on Regent Street,so let me know if you fancy a pint at some point!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I've always been a big fan of the Wallace Collection.  :tu:

http://www.wallacecollection.org/

excellent arms and armour. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
That looks good, Gareth.
Prone to daydreaming.

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Forbidden planet

and

the globe theatre.

de Offline Jmora

on the off chance that you are interested in psychology - Sigmund Freud's house, where he lived in exile after fleeing Vienna is a museum - all his stuff is there, as if it hadn't been moved -the original analyst's couch, egyptian trinkets, paintings by the wolfman etc.
A very narrow interest I guess, but not many people know it is in London.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Is that an original Yeoman or is it actually an Explorer? :D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
My advice; bring lots of cash when you are going the tourist route in london

I've been there in December for a few days (christmas shopping, don't ask  ::) ) with girlfriend and family and did everything in the book of being a proper tourist. I've seen the dungeons, changing of the gards, citybus tour, the tower, big ben, crown jewels, the cathedral, london eye, etc., etc.
We were with seven persons and the avarage fee of getting into something is about 20 pounds. Do the math  :o

Nevertheless, if you like cities, you will not be dissapointed I'm sure.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%