Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheepsfoot or hawkbill for a rescue knife?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Sheepsfoot or hawkbill for a rescue knife?
on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:25 PM
Hi guys,

I've been considering adding a rescue knife to my bugout bag and preparedness supplies, and have been looking at Spydies in particular since the Tenacious I just got has impressed me so much, and I've read a lot of good things about their rescue knives.

So I'd like to get input on which blade shape would be best for general emergency use.  I can see that each would have its advantages, but I'd like to get the one that will work best for doing things like cutting rope or cord, seat belts, big swaths of heavy canvas, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input! 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Sheepsfoot or hawkbill for a rescue knife?
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:58:54 AM
I'd be inclined to go for a sheepsfoot blade myself.  Sharp tips and emergency situations don't go well together IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:35:23 AM
I'd be inclined to go for a sheepsfoot blade myself.  Sharp tips and emergency situations don't go well together IMO.

+1  :tu: Here is some eye candy :drool: http://www.spyderco.com/search/index.php

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:52:13 AM
In my opinion this is probably one of the best Rescue knives out there.  Blunt on the end so
under high adrenaline situations your not apt to stab someone.  It has a glass breakage
carbide tip, and the "wavy" spine is for your fingers to wrap around, and squeeze it and the
handle, to cut rope etc.  It also has an emergency whistle, all from a top quality and
well respected manufacturer. 
Rescue.jpg
* Rescue.jpg (Filesize: 27.19 KB)

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:14 AM
You're really asking two different things here... for pull cutting material like belts, rope or canvas nothing beats a hawkbill blade.  The natural pulling motion brings more material in to contact with the blade, making cuts more efficient.

On the other hand, hawkbill blades make poor general emergency blades because of the pointy tip (as other have pointed out in this thread).  They also lack for general utility use - you can't really push cut with a hawkbill because the curve of the blade gets in the way.

If you're looking for a pure emergency blade, the Spyderco Assist is very good.  It also checks off a lot of the items for "emergency" use - big handle that's easy to grip with wet, numb or gloved hands, it's very easy to open, serrations for cloth cutting, glass breaker. 
If you're still interested in a hawkbill blade for non-emergency fabric or rope cutting, Spyderco has a very low-cost Hawkbill in their Byrd line (should be ~$20).

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:39:51 AM
I would stay away from anything with a sharp tip .At the moment I'm very much in favour of the Vic Dual Pro . Its got a lovely rounded tip , great serrations and one hand opening .
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:47:58 AM by Dunc »

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:23:23 AM
Thanks for all the help and info.  I think the Spyderco above is the way to go... now I just have to convince my wife to let me spend the money! 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:53 AM
Don't forget about the upcoming Benchmade Triage. I'm excited to see that one.
(insert witty quote)

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys.  It looks like the Assist is a pretty strong contender.  I'm going to wait and see what Benchmade's looks like before I make any final decisions though.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 02:38:49 AM
Get the Triage. I got one and its a clear winner for benchmade. Its the first benchamde I have handled with ergos rivaling spyderco. Once you add in the G10 handles, hook, and axis lock, its clearly a winner.
(insert witty quote)

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:01:10 PM

+1 on this... Sheepsfoot for sure!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:14:29 PM
Please take my Response with a Grain of Salt so to Speak...I am not nor have I ever been a Rescue Professional. I would like to offer up my thoughts on the Vic Rescue Tool..I drive a Truck for a Living and run mostly at night..Getting myself out of a nasty,if I am physically able is a distinct possibility..Hence, I carry the Rescue. I have carried it for over two years now and happily have not used it for what it was meant for..I have as the situation required cut everything from cardboard to rubber hose to Tiedown Straps(which are thicker and more heavy duty than seatbelts)..One thing that I have noticed is that the Curved Safety Blade is awsome on Straps and even rubber hose It's not such an extreme curve that ends in a point like a Hawkbill which one might have to fight with..
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 03:16:48 AM
Plus 1 to everything DTrain said . The Glass saw is pretty neat too .

Chris

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:35:25 PM
I was looking at the Vic rescue knife actually, it seems like a well thought out tool.  I saw a little video demo of it and it seemed well done.  I need to research it compared to the Triage though before I make a final choice.

Dtrain; this is going to sound a little crazy, but there's a guy inside of me who secretly longs to be a truck driver... even though I spent 7 years getting my PhD and the last five working up to a tenure track professor position...  Doubt I'll ever actually become a trucker, just something about being out on the road and traveling around, being self reliant, that appeals to me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:37:44 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:01:57 AM
It's not crazy...You would be suprised the proffessions some folks had before taking up Trucking

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24