Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone modify their Maglites?

jock1 · 15 · 3166

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Anyone modify their Maglites?
on: November 04, 2007, 12:29:19 PM
I have been reading a lot about modifying the standard d cell maglite to run on l.e.d.s Iknow there is a standard maglite drop in but has anybody made their own drop in? if so how hard was it?and where did you get the bits and bobs?
Thanks 

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone modify their Maglites?
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:24:06 PM
Well for my mini mag lite I bought the L.E.D conversion kit with the tailcap that has full power half power. low power, and stobe. Its pretty bright too! And I bought the fiber optic attatchment! That allows you to see in small spaces and stuff.
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:38:54 PM
I did the same as Leatherman123 and just used the standard NiteIze upgrade for my MiniMag. I'm not familiar with the D-cell conversion to LED's.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline SoDak

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:15:58 PM
Maglite now makes an l.e.d conversion bulb that you can find at walmart, target, etc. Nite-ize, makes one, but its not nearly as bright.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:40:55 AM
I disagree 100% SoDak. The Nite-ize one is far more powerful then the std. maglite conversion. And this one has a really cool tailcap!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:45:37 AM
Funny, I found that the Nite Ize conversion wasn't really that great:

LED Light Shootout

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:53:47 AM
I have been reading a lot about modifying the standard d cell maglite to run on l.e.d.s Iknow there is a standard maglite drop in but has anybody made their own drop in? if so how hard was it?and where did you get the bits and bobs?
Thanks 

What are you talking about when you say "make your own?"  www.dealextreme.com has LED's and regulation circuits you can buy to try to piece together your own setup if that's what you're looking for.  I'm not a big fan of "D" cell's so I can't offer anything more than that...

My favorite MiniMag drop in is the Terralux.  The Nite Ize one is pretty dim compared to other ones like the SMJLED and TerraLux. 

If you want to have some fun with a MiniMag and have some cash to burn... try doing an AuroraLight Hotwire Kit :)

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline SoDak

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 02:30:55 PM
I disagree 100% SoDak. The Nite-ize one is far more powerful then the std. maglite conversion. And this one has a really cool tailcap!
Oops, I was talking about the maglite led converions for the C and D lights. Maglite also makes an led AA light that blows my old nite ize out of the water. 665ae mentioned the teralux module and I have to say that mine is real bright. My only real dissapointment with it was that it didn't have much distance due to such a shallow reflector(which is unavoidable with maglites, so I don't blame terralux for that).

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 11:38:53 PM
Oh, I see
B

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:56:58 AM
I've been happy with the Terralux, Diamond 3W, SMJLED, and NITE iZE upgrades for my Maglites.  Even though the NITE iZE is much dimmer, it makes up for it in runtime with a usable amount of light.  I haven't tried the assembling LED/circuits with soldering and epoxy fun yet.  I do have the tools, but haven't tried any of the many tutorials for such upgrades on CandlePower forums.  I've just been modifying the outside of 'em with paracord.   :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:23:47 AM
Here's my 2aa maglite with a Nite Ize 1 Watt upgrade and IQ switch, with paracord wrapped round the body to make it comfier to grip (and nicer to hold in my mouth when the need arises). I'm quite impressed with the upgrade, its much better than the original 3 led one, it retains the focusing ability and the IQ switch gives me a variety of levels to play with. I have thought about getting a Terralux upgrade but i figure i'll just get a fenix at some stage so there's not much point.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 07:21:58 AM
I've been happy with the Terralux, Diamond 3W, SMJLED, and NITE iZE upgrades for my Maglites.  Even though the NITE iZE is much dimmer, it makes up for it in runtime with a usable amount of light.  I haven't tried the assembling LED/circuits with soldering and epoxy fun yet.  I do have the tools, but haven't tried any of the many tutorials for such upgrades on CandlePower forums.  I've just been modifying the outside of 'em with paracord.   :D

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I really like those paracord wraps!!!  That blue/gray one on the left makes me want to buy a D cell maglight :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:14:41 PM
The light on the left that the blue/grey paracord is on is a C-cell Maglite.   :D

My opinion is that Maglites really aren't very good hosts for simple LED modifications.  Heatsinking in a Maglite is nonexistent, and required by high flux emitters.  If you're going to modify a Maglite to run an LED at high current, you must upgrade the heatsinking first, or you will greatly reduce the life expectancy of the LED.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:24:02 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:58:42 AM
I've been EDCing a MiniMag with the 3 LED Nite Ize upgrade.  It puts out decent light (no more or less than the original buld, just a diffrent kind of light), and the two main reasons I like the upgrade is 1. The LEDs won't suddenly pop, leaving you in the dark, and 2. the long runtime.

I do however carry a regular spare bulb in the tailcap just in case...

And no other flashlight can have bangs, scrapes, discolorations, paint missing, etc. and still look good :multi:  A well used Mag Lite always catches my eye.
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 02:37:11 PM
Cheers Guys
I think I will have a look at the tutorials on CPF and give it a go I will update with results if I ever get around to it

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%