Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mastercraft Wire Stripper and Shears.

Chako · 15 · 6895

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Mastercraft Wire Stripper and Shears.
on: March 19, 2011, 11:13:20 PM
I normally do not look in flyers, but a few months ago, I just happened to take a look through one from Canadian Tire, and lo and behold, there were two new multi-tools featured in it. I went down right quick but found out that they were all sold out. On my second trip to find them, one of the employees informed me that they were having limited supplies and or troubles getting new shipments in.

Well, I finally got lucky after my fifth visit to the local Canadian Tire.

Both tools come in a very eye fetching sheath. Definitely not for the B&E artist out there.

The sheaths are of good quality. Better yet, they fit the multi-tools nice and tight. Both sheaths are identical, right down to the snap closure. Yes that is right, no Velcro in sight.

The handles not only feature a colour scheme that works with the sheath, but they are also proudly emblazoned with the Canadian Tire tool brand name. The rubber inlays provide excellent grip and better thermal characteristics then the surrounding metal.

The Shears took me by surprise. The first time i opened it, I couldn't close it. I kid you not, I hadn't noticed that the shears had sliding locking mechanisms. I noticed the mechanisms...but had wrongly assumed they were for the folding tools. After a little swearing, I noticed the locking mechanisms locked the shears in place. This is a rather nice feature and should eliminate those shears loosening up after a while and the cutting action getting a little wonky. The shears handles not only lock, but the shears have a physical lock on one side of the blade.

The packaging states that there are 7 functions for the shears model. you get shears, 3 in 1 file, Phillips screwdriver, two flathead screwdrivers, knife blade and a saw. The saw has a nice pointy tip making it perfect for drywall applications.

The Wire Stripper model features 10 functions. You get a wire stripper, wire cutter, 3 in 1 file, drywall saw (this is what the package states...but I believe the other tool features a better dry wall saw...either an error in manufacturing, package printing, or who knows what), wire hook spudger, Phillips screwdriver, 2 flathead screwdrivers, cable splicer, and a knife.

Both are nice heavy tools that are well made. However, there is a design issue that I find interesting. The tools do not offer outside folding tools. You have to open the handles in order to access the folding tools. Not a modern design by any means. On the flip side, the outside is a nice solid slab of stainless, lending the tool a nice heft. Another issue is the lack of locking tools except for the main snipes on the Shears model. I guess this would make it legal in the UK and other countries that bar locking blades. I just have to wonder if this tool is being sold in those locals under a different name.

The next photo shows the inside of the handle. You can see the folded piece of metal. These guide the shears in the proper storage position when the tools is folded up.

Each handle locks in the open position on the shears via these little Gerberesk locks.

The wire strippers are marked on both sides in AWG and MM scales.

Well there you have it. Two interesting non pliers based multi-tools. Both feature a life time warranty (proof of purchase required), and are built well enough to be of great quality. A few design niggles do crop up, but overall, a well built tool.  The best part is the price.  Both tools retail for less than 30 dollars. Quite the deal if you ask me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:18:27 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: Mastercraft Wire Stripper and Shears.
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:22:04 AM
WOW,I'm very impressed,both look very handy,do you know what kind of metal is used on them??and thanks for an other great detailed profile. :salute:

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:42:06 AM
They remind me slightly of Gerbers but with better build quality, tool loadout and value for money.... remind me again how Gerber turns a profit?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:02:40 AM
No clue other then the heads and folding tools are stainless, and the handles are aluminum.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:10:25 AM by Chako »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:30 AM
I had a chance to play with these in store a few weeks ago.  A little chunky for me but the fit and finish were decent.  I'm surprised that Canadian Tire put the Mastercraft logo on them rather than Garrison.
I guess CT figures the quality is good enough as well.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:12:21 AM
What do you think the shears can handle

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:22:57 AM
I am convinced I need this set. Have not yet seen it around here.

Just proof again that a good designed tool of quality does not have to have the big five brand name logo on it.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:39 AM
Great looking ones!  :tu: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:31:51 PM
They are very usefull looking tools  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:35 PM
They do look pretty good. :) 

Although I'd like to see that shears head and the electrical pliers head mounted on handles that aren't as fat. (even if that meant there were fewer folding tools)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:32:30 AM

Although I'd like to see that shears head and the electrical pliers head mounted on handles that aren't as fat. (even if that meant there were fewer folding tools)

Might I recommend the Crescent Electrician multitool, the Bear Jaws Electrician, or Bear Jaw Shears, then? :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:42 AM

Might I recommend the Crescent Electrician multitool, the Bear Jaws Electrician, or Bear Jaw Shears, then? :)

Exactly what I was thinking :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:42 AM
The electrician version is currently sold as a Sheffield, with model number 58953. I can't find a listing for the shears. There was also a plier-based tool with the same handle and tool configuration made by Sheffield. It was model S041002, but I do not believe it was sold in the USA.

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 12:06:55 PM
That is quite probable. Mastercraft is a Canadian Tire store brand. They don't make the tools, they get other OEMs to make and brand them for their box stores. I strongly believe these are made in China...and Sheffield is just another brand tacked on by ordering them from the OEM.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:10:11 PM by Chako »

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:55 PM
Right. The sheffield just has different colors, but it's the same identical tool.

Product link: https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-58953-Electricians-Multi-Tool-Pouch/dp/B007MCRIC2/

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD