Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My impressions of the Leatherman Supertool 300 (Pic heavy)

Jors · 18 · 28414

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
My impressions of the Leatherman Supertool 300 (Pic heavy)

I am writing this mini review on the Leatherman Supertool 300 after I have done the Leatherman Surge in:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25332.0.html

I am not a regular review writer and I am not going to start right now, but I would like to give my thoughts on this forum as I may reach someone who might like to know more before he makes a decision (informed) before investing in a large multitool. I don’t want to show a video or project a lot of images showing the features of this tool. You can see youtube videos showing this for yourself as there are several videos showing that. I am also of the opinion that several people try to be the first to review a multitool and then they just show what features are built in, while they have just received the tool and have not used it even. To show only the features is an overview, while a review comments. I am of the opinion some people have not enough experience in their tool before they give a review. That's why I call my review my impressions.
To set the record straight....I bought my Leathermans to use and not to collect
I am still feeling exactly the same as quoted.

The Supertool is featuring the classic Leatherman PST/Supertool shape:

However the Locking mechanism is the same as the Core / Blast / Kick / Fuse. The Locking Mechanism is casted and not bend such as the Powertool of SOG and the cut-out in the handle is very tight fitting to prevent any play or rattle. The side part that is sticking out from the handle (and which is also going into the blades or tools) is of the same thickness of the blades to ensure sturdiness and strength. It also go in deep enough to ensure that it can not slip under pressure or stress. It is spring-loaded to assist. Some people have criticized the tool as the feel that the locking mechanism will hook onto something, but the corners are rounded off on the thumb pad part and I did not up to now found even once that it happened.

The tool is massive if compared to other tools:

Here you can see from left to right the Wave, Supertool 300, Surge and the Victorinox Swizztool. This tool is meant for people who work on construction sites, farmers, etc. where a heavy demand is claimed from the tool. This tool is not for sissies, but for serious work.

The handles are rounded off to protect your hands:

The Sideclip, PST1 & PST II was of similar design (smaller though) but the handles have bitten into the user’s palms when pressure was applied during use. This model will be easy on your hands.

The first thing that the user will notice when you open the tool is that the pliers is huge:

This is also the first model of Leatherman to feature replaceable wire cutters. If you damage them you can grind (sharpen) them a couple of times and / or replace them. You will have to buy it from Leatherman and the kit comes with the tool to tighten or loosen the blades. Immediately behind the pliers head, between the handles is another wire cutters and a crimper.

You can see that the pliers’ jaws are not so sharp nosed that the previous models, which indicates where and how the pliers was beefed up for the heavier workload it was designed for. It still carries Leatherman’s Guarantee! The tips feature fine teeth and the rounded jaws big heavy duty teeth.

The pliers head can open it’s jaws widely:

The user will not be able to grip the tool properly should it been able to open wider.

Compare with other tools and you will see the size:

From left to right: Wave, Supertool 300, Surge, SOG powerlock and Victorinox Swizztool. If compared to the Surge you can see that the pliers head was beefed up rather drastically.

The pliers head is solidly mounted in the handles:

There are no washers and the overlap of the handle is big enough to ensure rigidity. You can see the cams on the arms to enable Leatherman to use the pliers in future models (as indeed happened with the MUT) and to ensure the handles to lock on the pliers when opened (the cams have a duel function, it gives friction against the handles to grip it when opened and it forces the safety pins into the one hand opening oles of the knife blades on one hand opening models like the Wafe, Surge, MUT and Charge). This tool don’t feature plastic liners like the Core, Blast, fuse & Kick. The tool then behaves like if the handles are permanently fixed to the pliers and only move when braked free on the way to closing position.

The cams can be seen on the bottom arms of the pliers:

As the  tool are opened the handles are turned over the cams,

Almost completely opened. The cams are almost completely covered by the handles. Here you have to force the handles further until the lock.

Completely locked. The handles’edges press against the shoulder of the pliers.

A handle ful of tools:

The handle is fully packed with tools. You can clearly see how the handle’s edge is rolled over to make it round. The serrated edge knife at bottom and wooden saw blades at top is of the maximum length possible.

The other handle is just as fully packed with tools:

The smooth edge knife and file is also of the maximum length.

Nail openings:

On both sides the knife blades feature large nail slots and the openings in the tool handles are large enough to enable opening of the blades with a gloved hand. The knife blade here shows the large nail slot and the nail nick in the wooden saw opposite. The file features the same nick in the opposite handle. All the other tools feature nail nicks as can be seen on the tool second from the top (rear). This is a two hand opening design (you have to use both hands to open the blade).

The smooth edge regular knife blade:

The blade is large and well defined and comes razor sharp. Note the little hole which keeps the knife blade from opening when you use the pliers.

Another view:

The knife is properly hollow grounded. Note the thickness of the blade that testifies of its strength. Note the locking mechanism. It goes into the blade deep enough to lock properly and it features a shoulder to press against if you apply force on the knife during heavy duty cutting. The edges of the locking clip go well into the handle on both sides – the pressure then is not on the hinge pin only but more on the solid br the goes into the blade and handle. There is no play at all.

Enough locking edges.

All the blades are oval shaped at the pivot so that the locking clip is relaxed and closed when the blades are closed (left side of clip). All the blades are closed on the right side of clip and you can see the locking clip slots.

Locking device (hidden):

The hidden locking device is indicated with the red arrow. This part is spring loaded and keeps the knife blade closed when you use the pliers and therefore you will not accidently cut yourself when the knife blade slides open. There are four of there par5ts in the tool, and hidden behind the rolled over edge.

The knife blade compared to other:

From top to bottom: Surge, Supertool 300 & Wave. The blade is relative large.

The serrated edge knife:

The blade is only sharpened on one side. Serrated pattern is well defined to secure a proper cutting ability. Tip is of sheep’s foot design so that it can be used for rescue work as well to cut seat belts. The first few mm of cutting edge is smooth to enable a sharp point.

Big nail slot and proper defined hollow grounded.

Two handed opening con:

The blade’s cutting edge (both blades0 is not flush with the handle of the tool.

You have to fold the tool open to get the cutting edge in line with the handle as ordinary fixed blade or one hand opening tools do. This may be a con for some people but I am of the opinion (and a lot of other users feel the same) that this is not a concern. The ST 300 is so sturdy as a whole that the abilities in terms of strength make up for the inability to open with one hand.

The file (three sided):

Diamond pattern file.

One angled pattern side.

Thin pattern side – can be used to cut small soft metal. This file does not feature a diamond side such as some other models do. However this file is very strong and is designed for hard use.

Lanyard ring:

Awl:

The awl is large and sturdy. The cutting edge and point is very able and sharp. There is a eyelet for string. This is more designed for attaching hides, canvas, etc. Not for sewing clothes. I have used it to drill holes in a plasic bucket to attach a wire handle. Also to drill an additional hole to a number plate to attach a cabvle tie in an emergency on a off road motorbike.

Medium and wide flat screw drivers:

Long and thick enough. Sturdy. Strong. Well defined tips.

Wooden saw:

Very sharp and long. The blade is hollow grounded. The teeth side is wider than the smooth side, so the blade will not be pinched if you cut wood. Cut green wood branches very well and the teeth do not clog up easily.

Small flat screw driver:

Strong. Well defined tip. Long enough.

Phillips screw driver:

Leatherman’s famous no #2 phillips screw driver. Strong. Long. Square shank. Can take Leatherman bit adapter.

Dual purpose bottle / tin opener / wire stripper:

Tin opener, that can also be used to open bottles. Th cap can be damaged by the sharp edge though.

The wire stripper notch is very sharp and works.

She can be closed in one step without problems:

The tip of the pliers jaw slides over the flat screw driver which is placed exactly in the centre. The jaw tip don’t wedge between tools or against them.

On the other side the jaw tip slides over the Phillips driver which is also placed exactly in the centre.

Another view. The tool can be forced to the closed position without the fear that the jaws may damage other tools or be damaged itself. No wedging is possible.

She can:

She can spread her legs together with the shoulders.

Now that her legs are more narrower towards each other,

She can take the Leatherman universal adapter.

Tightly gripped in position and it can now take any Leatherman bits or any standard ¼ inch bits.

At a 45 degree angle should you prefer it. Note the ring hole. A ring or a piece of string can be attach to enhance gripping, but it can be used just as is without any problems.

At a 90 degree angle for the most possible power. Enough to even break or damage bits or the screw head or slot.

The Leatherman bit kit can be bought separately. I prefer this universal bit adapter above the bit adapter as this can be used on more Leatherman models and can even be used as is.

CONS:
No scissors
No one hand opening.
Knifes’ cutting edge not flush with handles edge when closed and knife blades deployed.

Pros:
Very strong tool
Large (Huge)
Very large and strong pliers head
Replaceable wire cutters
Stronger locking mechanism for the tools and blades.
Good design.
No plastics like the Core, Blast, Fuse, Kick.

I am still using the Surge as my primary EDC but I have been carrying this also with me. I use a PockIts pouch that can take both. The only main con is the lack of scissors. In overall this is one of Leatherman’s top tools and it is of a fine finish and well designed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:29:59 AM by J-sews »
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: My impressions of the Leatherman Supertool 300 (Pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:02:20 PM
The pictures are a tad small.  :P

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:56 PM
I have uploaded them as 800 X 600 to save on upload space as there are so many pictures.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:42:44 PM
I was trying to be funny.  I actually don't see any pictures.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:14 AM
Yeah, the pictures are not loading.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:42:14 AM
Click on quote on this post, copy it and replace yours. Then take a look at the image links I made. You have to use the last link of 4 from photobucket. I'll delete this later or a mod could do it. Nice review. btw

Edit: All fixed! :salute:

~ Bob :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:32:46 AM by J-sews »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:19 AM
Thanks for the help enki_ck! :salute: And excellent review with great photos Jors! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Thanks for the help enki_ck! :salute:

No problem. Full moon, can't sleep, had to do something. :)

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:29:30 AM
The photos are actually loading.
I have loaded the link with the aid of insert image icon and used the second link of photobucket between the two ( [img] ) ((I have just added a X in this reply to prevent it from loading)):
[Ximg] http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/Boerseun1/ST300/IMG_1463.jpg [/Ximg]

If I don't use the insert image icon but only the fourth link of photobucket I get ((I have just added a X in this reply to prevent it from loading)):
[XIMG]http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/Boerseun1/ST300/IMG_1463.jpg[/XIMG]

Theay are the same, except that the insert image link (default) starts with a small I where the photobuckets own one starts with a capital I'.

Will remember to use the fourth one in future.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:33 AM
That's how an image link should look like. Yours were double that and had [u r l] in them, that's why they didn't load. I edited your post and corrected the links and J-sews posted it instead of yours. If you use the type of links like in the previous post you should be fine.

Great pics, I had a surge but sold it as it was too bulky for me to edc. But it was the best multitool for heavy use I tried. The ideal heavy use multitool would be a crossbreed surge/st300 with outside blades and exchangable cutters. A surge 2.0.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:52:35 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:59 AM
Nail openings:
(Image removed from quote.)
On both sides the knife blades feature large nail slots and the openings in the tool handles are large enough to enable opening of the blades with a gloved hand. The knife blade here shows the large nail slot and the nail nick in the wooden saw opposite. The file features the same nick in the opposite handle. All the other tools feature nail nicks as can be seen on the tool second from the top (rear). This is a two hand opening design (you have to use both hands to open the blade).

On a tool that's chock full of great features, I like the huge nail nicks and wide handle openings the best. :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline SMK

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:00 AM
 Wow I had no idea those pliers were that much beefier than the surges or the powerlocks. They're huge :ahhh

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:11 PM
Good review /very usefull pics . I should re examine a current example , the one I handled before was early production and felt a bit "tinny" .

Chris

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:27:21 AM
SMK,
Wow I had no idea those pliers were that much beefier than the surges or the powerlocks. They're huge
Yes, the pliers are huge, because Leatherman had to beef it up to compensate for the material they had to take out to make place for the removable cutting inserts. Remember it is not just the inserts, but there must be place to accommodate the screws for them as well.
However the tool, when folded is not so huge and heavy as the Surge. More like the Core when folded.

Styerman,
I should re examine a current example , the one I handled before was early production and felt a bit "tinny" .
Please refrain from examining a model. It will be a mistake. You may be convinced that you need one and spend some money. This model is not tinnish in my opinion and can take its punch.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 01:32:33 PM
Thankyou for the review. I want to get one for sure.

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 04:20:05 PM
I got this one first before I got my Charges Surges etc and I gotta say I still like it. My Charge probably gets more use but this is still the one i'd loan to other people cos I doubt theres any way in hell they could break it plus it can handle pretty much any job.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 04:44:13 PM
Nice one matey, really HD tool...  :multi: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 06:17:59 PM
I have now deliberately rotated my EDC and now I am carrying my ST300 for a trial period to see if I will really lack something when I pack away the Surge with the OHO blades, blade changer, scissors and bit drivers.

I am using the ST300 now for two weeks. I have used it enough to made up my mind:
The ST300 is more heavy duty. I do not miss the Surge as there were no jobs so far that I could not do with the ST300. The ST300's pliers are so much stronger than the Surge's.

I compliment my ST300 with the bit adapter and the full bit kit. I am more impressed with the built-in fixed screw drivers, than with the loose, more smaller replaceable drivers of the Surge/Wave. I am of the opinion that this tool can take more punch than the Surge. I don't nurse the tool so much as I have the Surge. When I use the Surge to clip wire, I am always concerned about damaging the plier cutters, but not with the ST300.

When the Rebar ships, and I am satisfied that it is just as strong, I may replace my EDC ST300 with it.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD