Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a favor

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Need a favor
on: October 22, 2006, 08:42:50 PM
Is anyone here a member of the Spyderco forum?  I have a knife that I think I know the history of but I am not 100% certain and I'd like some confirmation.  I don't want to join up to ask one question and never go back though.

Can anyone help?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Re: Need a favor
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:54:41 PM
I am a member, fire away Def!
E

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:57:18 PM
Here goes-

This is not the Bladeforums/Spyderco Blue Native.  It has a CPM440 blade and blue G-10 scales, as well as a blue pocket clip, but as you can see it doesn't have the BF logo on the blade, nor does it have the plain edge that was on the BF Native.  The lock and pivot on this one is also amazingly perfect, something I have never seen on another production knife.  You can actually open (and close) the blade by cycling the lock, and the dividing line between the blade spine and the lock spine is virtually invisible when the blade is opened.  Unless you look very closely, you would swear it was a full tang fixed blade!

I've had this knife for quite a few years, I bought it new and the dirty bit you see on the handle is from where I carried it a couple of times, but I have never cut anything with it.

The story that I have for it is that it is a prototype for what eventually became the BF Blue Native, and all of the Blue models that followed.  From what I was told by the dealer who sold it to me (and it was a reputable dealer, whose name I won't mention in case they were wrong- I'd hate to give them any undue embarassment!) the "100" marked on the blade is something that Spyderco puts on all their prototypes for easy identification from production versions or other prototypes.

Like I said, I am not certain that this is true, but I have heard similar things from other companies so it very well could be.  I just want to know "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.  I am not interested in selling it, but an approximate value would be nice.  I have seen BF Natives go for a significant amount of money so I don't doubt this one is worth a fair bit- especially since all the Blue models seem to fetch a pretty penny.

I can supply more pics if needed too...

Def
Native01.JPG
* Native01.JPG (Filesize: 51.39 KB)
Native02.JPG
* Native02.JPG (Filesize: 70.97 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:57:41 PM
Couple more...

Def
Native03.JPG
* Native03.JPG (Filesize: 49.48 KB)
Native04.JPG
* Native04.JPG (Filesize: 58.47 KB)

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 02:48:04 AM
that's a beauty!
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:38:06 PM
E

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:51:23 PM
Thanks buddy!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 03:44:17 AM
Is anyone here a member of the Spyderco forum?  I have a knife that I think I know the history of but I am not 100% certain and I'd like some confirmation.  I don't want to join up to ask one question and never go back though.

Can anyone help?

Def

Hey, I just had a great idea!! Maybe you should just sell your pretty blue Spydie to me, and then you wouldn't have to worry about all those nagging questions any more! Go ahead friend, put all the burden onto my shoulders. I can take it.

Good idea, huh? Huh?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:09:28 PM
You wouldn't believe how many offers I get on that thing....

Def

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 06:25:55 PM
Def, i'll trade it for 2 pouchs and a .5 kg of red hot peppers, really good ones  :o

Esteban

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD