Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The KIT Game

Woz · 5 · 734

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
The KIT Game
on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:37 PM
So mates, I´m not sure if this is the right place to start this, but I guess the break room is just fine.

I had a look on those Gerber Grylls Survival Kits, and was not impressed. But I started to think about compact kits, and came up with this topic. I guess it is not a real discussion, more of a game, that´s why I named it the KIT GAME

Think of your day-to-day life. Define a basic EDC/Survival setup for each of these categories:

1: personal: all the stuff that fits in your pockets even in light summer clothes.
2: personal +: You are allowed to carry a bag or backbag, but remember: EVERY DAY task, not BOB or trekking gear.
3: Advanced: You can use your car, but remember: Every Day, so I guess you will not need to add a tent or larger amounts of food. But, if you want to do so, it is fine, it is your car.
4: travel: a basic travel setup

Rules: Try to choose as few items as possible. Just BASIC stuff
Bring your ideas, so you can inspire others.

Here is my first attempt, to start with:

1. I will carry a Minichamp, a LED flashlight in 1x CR123a size, a Spyderco or Fällkniven folder, my wallet with cards and some money, my cellphone (HTC Trophy 7), a sheath of blank paper and 2 painkiller tablets just in case. Alternative: No Minichamp but Zebra F301 pen Wenger SAK or Vic Spartan. Alternative 2: No SAK but Leatherman Juice SC2

2. Setup 1 PLUS I will add a Zebra F301 ballpoint pen and a sharpie, my Moleskine Notebook, a basic FAK, my iPad, a bottle of water, and my Victorinox Spirit. If I have this situation there will be no extra tool in setup 1. IF I knew it is getting dark early, I will add a more powerful light. Dextrose. My Olympus mju 1040 camera

3.Setup 1 and maybe 2. Plus: I will add a sharpie and one more Zebra pen. There is an extra small notebook in the car. A powerfull 2xCR123a sized LED light plus spare batteries. A Leatherman Juice KF4. A Spyderco Moran fixed blade.
A larger FAK, 1 additional bottle of water. teabags, a stainless steel mug and a 12 volt immersion heater (I once got stuck in the winter and had to wait 3 hours for help, so I like to have a chance to get a hot drink in my car). A blanket and a jacket. Energy bars, 2 pieces. Paracord, about 20 meters (all of the gear except for the blanket stuffed in a medium sized Pelicase)
Maybe my DSRL or PEN

4. Setup 1 PLUS a multitool (Vic Spirit or LM Juice). Plus a Zebra F-301 and my DSLR or PEN. Sometimes both cameras. That is for city travel. If I go on a camping tour it is setup 1-3 plus lots of stuff. When trekking it is setup 1 minus the folder, but with a fixed knife. A SAK with a saw. Spare cell for the 1xCR123 light. Paracord and ducttape. Larger FAK. Tent and sleepbag if necessary. On longer tours a cooker and a hatchet.
Maybe (just maybe) I´d replace setup 1 with a small altoids-tin kit filled with a small knife (CRKT Ritter RSK maybe) a SAK, a light, painkillers, paracord, whistle and a mirror - sealed with ducttape. And a firesteel.

So people: Tell me YOUR setups!

OH, I forgot: My EDC is based on an office job in a smaller city. My workbag is a medium sized messenger bag or backbag. My car a Japanese compact car. Please add your info, so we can compare easier.  :climber:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:53:40 PM by Woz »
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: The KIT Game
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:18:12 AM
 :rofl: I've been playing this game by myself for years ... and I've still not won  :rofl: :rofl:
Maybe I'm stilll figuring out the rules  :think: :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:46 AM
Dude, that is why I need MORE PLAYERS  :D :drink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The everlasting hunt for a perfect setup... I love it! :gimme:
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:01 AM
There is a whole forum full of folks that can't get this right.  (great site by the way)

Ok, my turn.

1:) First off, my LM pulse on the belt.  First thing every day.  Then my Supertinker, streamlight microstream, fisher bullet pen, wallet with money, cc, and id, and my Droid 2 cell phone along with my keys, which have a LM micra on them. 

2:)Setup 1, along with my bag, which contains spare pens, medication(asthma and ibuprofin), headphones and an MP3 player, contact lens setup with glasses case and solutoin, spare multi(st300), spare flashlight(LM monarch), spyderco byrd cara cara, bottle of water, FAK with some bandages, gold bond powder(all guys should have this or at least know why), qtips, spare phone battery, spare AAA's for my lights, small diamond stone, calculator, chapstick, and a rite in the rain notebook. 

3:)In my car I carry all of the above, but for everyday use I just have some pens and the dock for my Droid 2 so I can listen to music.  As far as the trunk goes, my BOB kit is in there, and that is a topic for another day.

4:)Travel, take the sharps out of the above and add a novel or two.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:55 AM
I cycle everywhere or walk so one set up for me and it generaly doesnt change very often,

sey up 1 (and only)

large wallet type pouch in my backpack with LM wave with extra home made bits and adapters,small mxdl 3watt pen type torch,black sharpie pen,lighter,plasters,and tablets,small sewing kit,batteries for torch

backpack>pen,small note pad,sunglasses,lipseal,modified multitool for my bike,large MXDL 5watt torch,matches,Mp3 player,small bike pump,2 tyre levers,x2 inner tubes for my MTB as got tubes for road bike under saddle plus tools,batteries for torch and mp3 player

pocket> slip joint (changes)

keys> small torch,vic classic,pill capsual with spare tweezers and toothpick,oh and keys,

i try and keep it all pretty light and only carry what i need, 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:49:23 AM by Zed »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44