Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

disabling leatherman's liner lock?

kareem · 28 · 10001

Offline kareem

disabling leatherman's liner lock?
on: January 31, 2011, 11:05:08 PM
hi
so im form israel and 95% of the police here are like my... lets say foot ;1
anyhow, if i get cought with a locking blade (even if its a 1" blade) most probably i will get throun to jail , yes jail no worning no nothing it turns out that in here if you kill someone on purpess you get 5 years but if you have a knife on you in the street its also 5 years so yay for the israely justice system ;1

i will be buying a spirit and a MUT and now im putting my mind on a charge tti (and maybe a surge ) so what i want to ask is can i disable the liner lock (forget the spirit , the knife on it looks like a knif that you only cut apples with it but on the leatherman specialy the mut it looks like the kind you can kill with) when im out of the house and enable it again when im home
what i thought about is like this

pic: i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/Boerseun1/Image19.jpg

make a small screw hole on the liner lock and put a really small screw that will connect the lock with the body of the leatherman and then the lock doest come up and the knife never locks

is it possible?

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Re: disabling leatherman's liner lock?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:19:57 PM
The problem with trying to disable the liner lock on a Leatherman tool is that there is no backspring the way there is on the non-locking Juice line. Without the backspring there would be nothing to keep the knife open during use.
The liner also serves as a detante to prevent accidental opening of the knife. Without the detante there would be nothing to keep the knife closed when not in use.

My advice would be to leave the locking tools at home if you are afraid of getting caught with them, or removing the knife altogether.
Have you considered just using a Juice as your EDC? The XE6 can do nearly everything that the larger tools can and it would be legal for you to carry.
(insert witty quote)

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:49:08 PM
Sadly I have to agree with asupernothing, it's just not practical (or safe) to do away with a liner lock. :-\

Have a read here to see a list of tools/knives that are UK legal for the same reason (non-locking).
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,8384.0.html

Other options might be to get a SOG and remove the blade (designed to be home modifiable) then carry a non-locking pocket knife or SAK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline kareem

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:04 AM
will it may be stupid i know , but i think to keep the knife closed i can put a transpor on it (sergical tape really powerful and useful) , and im talking only about the main blade i think i can get out of it if the cops ask about the "emergincy blade"
and to keep it open i would use my finger in the OHO hole:S

by the way the xe6 is lovely but to damn big:S i thought about the kf4  its perfeecttt but its pricey and no one ships to israel:S

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:02:57 AM
The XE6 is too big?
Then why do you want to carry a TTI, it's even larger?  :think:

Offline kareem

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:11:22 AM
hhhhh
its not like that, when you have a surge lets say everything is bigger
but on the xe6 its like a fat boy but with a small head :S

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:28:15 AM
It seems to me that you are dead set on getting a Charge, which I certainly cannot stop you from doing, as it is still undeniably my favorite multi-tool.
It also seems that you are equally intent on trying to modify the tool, which I would still earnestly suggest that you avoid (unless you have the skill set of Evil).

I would like to stress that bypassing the lock is a clear safety issue and that it will void your warranty.

to keep it open i would use my finger in the OHO hole:S

I just don't see that working safely. You are free to do as you please with your tools, I just don't want to see you hurt yourself.
(insert witty quote)

Offline kareem

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:04 AM
:S
i dont know i will think of something , i did a semi lock for my SAK without doing anything other than using my breains:P maybe i can do the same here

and im not sure wither i should get the charge or a wave or a spirit
or a charge and a spirit but no MUT, damn you high prices , i say f**k it
i should get the spirit, tti, MUT
what do you think ?? i say i should get the kf4 too if i find one xD

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:18 AM
If you wanted to go really hardcore with the modding, you could find a way to make/mount a backspring for the blade...

Or maybe the liner lock could be shaved down a little, so that it kind of works like a backspring, holding the tool open a little,but not actually locking it?
I mean a slipjoint knife is basically a lockback knife with a much smaller, and smoother, locking surface. Perhaps the same concept can be applied to a liner lock?

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:04 PM
and im not sure wither i should get the charge or a wave or a spirit
If you plan on modding, know that the Spirit is basically the hardest tool to work with on the planet. It's got riveted construction, and each spring "finger" is a different thickness based on the tool it works with.

il Offline Kidi

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:24 PM
Kareem, the Israeli law says any knife that has a blade shorter than 10cm and no locking mechanism is legal.

But, it also says that carrying a knife for "a justified reason" is legal (though you need to prove that in the trial, which means you'll still get arrested).

You can read here about the law (notice that there are place you cannot carry a knife, not even a legal one):

police.gov.il/meida_laezrach/Pages/shelot_nefozot.aspx

(Hebrew)
The part about to knives is about two thirds from the top.

I carry my leatherman surge only when outdoors and at home, where there are no cops. Get yourself a Juice or
buy a charge and leave it as it is, just don't take it into public places (train stations, malls, nightclubs etc).
That law was written just to make it easier to arrest thugs with knives, no one will arrest you for carrying a Leatherman (as long as you stay out of public places).

gb Offline craigy

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 02:55:40 PM
id just buy somthing non locking messing with locking knives can sill be a grey area within the law like bokers uk legal are just a linier lock with ball bearing .for most poeple in every day life like going shopping etc they  dont need a multi tool with 25 functions a bit kit and a sharpening stone just incase. if you are trying to stay on the right side of the law best way is not to carry a knife if you still insist you could buy somthing small for your keychain.vic classic or lm style i have a classic all the time or somthing. leave the locking leatherman locker at home or take it with you if you know you will need it for jobs or if you need it for work.
A

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:18 PM
Have you considered the Leatherman knifeless Fuse.     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline kareem

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:08:00 PM
heheeee i did it :)
no hard work , veryyyy simple idea,almost no need to do anything other than use your mind , it takes 1 minute,
but the knife looks butt ugle right now :P  so im trying to make it the best way possible then i will publish the mod xD
by the way i did it on a freestyle so its for freestyle,skeletool

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 01:00:20 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the end product. :)  Does the blade stay open/closed or is it a bit floppy?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline kareem

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 01:27:04 PM
not even a tiny bit, it stays in ,all the way , no problem opening /closing
no need to change anything in the multitool so the warranty stays :P
and as i can see it , if i want to take the blade out of town or something, i can put the system back on , it takes a minutes and saves me at least 10 hours of investegation with a cop that will think that he is god:S
im waitng to see the wave/charge/mut anything else to see if i can make something similiar i have an idea but dont know if it works, it works while the bliers are close and if you open the pliers the system is disabled

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 06:42:58 PM
I am looking forward to full pics/explanation as well! Sounds quite interesting.

Offline kareem

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:42:18 PM
should i make a video or just pictures?

by the way when i tell you what i ded and really worked you will stay like this :| how the f*ck didnt i think of that :|

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:34:07 PM
pictures are fine for me, but video is cool too

us Offline hugh_h

Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:54 PM
should i make a video or just pictures?

Even one photo would be a lot better than what I can picture in my mind right now...which is nothing!
 :o

Offline kareem

Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:44 AM
hhhh if you want i can send you a picture
now any how, its still like in beta mod since
1)if a police find this knife on you either 1) he will be so stuped that he will say ok you can keep on orrr 2) you will still get arested since you can take the "unlocking system" in half a minute
the only reason i did this so i can have my knife anywhere so still get arrested is stuped:S
2)its not the most comfortable thing on earth

now , should i post it as it is with a video or should i keep working and maybe find a "real" mod to unlock the blade?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:58 AM
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline hugh_h

Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 01:41:09 AM
now , should i post it as it is with a video or should i keep working and maybe find a "real" mod to unlock the blade?

Dude, instead of asking over and over if you should post a video or photo, post SOMETHING. Your description isn't much help. How about just one photo of the knife half-way open to start with?

Also, instead of carrying a knife--which is a weapon--how about carrying a "tool?"
-Can opener with the point sharpened razor-sharp (maybe need to carry in a sheath),
-Tailor's scissors--that point is *sharp*
-This thing: http://www.rakerknives.com/damascus_tools.htm
You could sharpen an outer edge--Hey, whose to say that a rescue tool shouldn't be like that?

The point is, there are many things other than a knife that can seem like pocket litter until it is jammed (defensively, of course) into someone.

Offline kareem

Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 03:54:31 AM
next week i got a big test that im "studying" for  after i finish it i will try to make a system to unlock the knife and not just something "temporarily"

http://www.bladeplay.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-boker/boker-01bo583-large.jpg this is like a knife but in the end its not
i carry a ps4 which has a knife and even if i want a sharper blade i use my scalpel mod for the ps4 but its still not the same , sometimes you need a real knife :S

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:50 PM
Alright mate, pics or it didn't happen! :pok: :pok: :pok:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:21 PM
Alright mate, pics or it didn't happen! :pok: :pok: :pok:

Yes.  That's the rule.

Heck we saw picts of the Zippo multitool mod, this should definitely be posted for veracity.  :D

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:12 AM
Would be interested in pic's at some stage too

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:06 AM
need pics, being in the uk this would be a cool mod if it works but as i like LM warranty im not sure i would do it but cool to see if it works, pics  :pok:   :pok:  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%