Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opening a can (not of worms or whupa$$)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Opening a can (not of worms or whupa$$)
on: February 26, 2011, 01:51:45 PM
We all talk about can openers.   Vic is best, Wenger has the best design ,  Leatherman needs a re-work etc.  But who’s actually  done the head to head comparison?   That’s right.  No one.  Well here it is.  We’re talking about REAL can opening, not that dinky  16  oz can of soup or tin of tuna, but the big boy.  #10 can.  Of green beans.

For this test, I chose my Victorinox Farmer.  I’ve used this opener a lot.  This gives it a bit of an advantage as well as a disadvantage.   Advantage because I know exactly how to use it.  Disadvantage because it’s likely to be duller than a new out of the box opener.  Such is life.

The Wenger  I chose is a 2 layer Evogrip model, which lives in the kitchen drawer.  It mostly gets corkscrew duty but occasionally opens a can or 2.  I’m familiar with this opener, but it may get used once a month or less.

Finally, for no other reason than it’s my EDC, I chose the opener on my Charge ALX. This will be the first time I used this opener.

First up, the Victorinox.  The tooth holds to the can like it’s locked in place.  It pierces the can easily and opens consistently, using a rocking and pushing motion.  The tool never stuck in the slot and the cut edge is as smooth as any dedicated can opener, manual or electric.

Next, the Wenger.  It pierces the can easily, but the tooth occasionally slips off the lip, requiring me to pivot the tool perpendicular the can so the opener tooth can gain purchase.   The opener action is the traditional pivot and pull to advance the opener.  This makes the cut edge more irregular than the Victorinox opener section.  Occasionally the opener sticks in the groove.  Because the Wenger opener doesn’t lock open, once stuck, it folds closed if I try to pivot it back and forth.   Instead, I have to pry against the lid edge to lever the slot wide enough to remove the opener.  In the end, the Wenger does the job.

Finally, the Leatherman.   Piercing the can takes some serious effort.  The tip isn’t very pointy, but the edge of the opener is sharp.  Once I got through initially, the opener did it’s job.  The Leatherman opener had a similar problem of tooth slipping that the Wenger had but because the opener locks open, when the opener jams in the slot, it can be pivoted back out and requires no levering against the lid.  The Leatherman uses the same action as the Wenger.

Here are shots of the opened can’s lip:
Victorinox:

Wenger:

Leatherman:

So here are my final ratings:
1.    Victorinox.  Best opener by far.  Easy piercing, easy consistent action, smooth can lip
2.   Leatherman.  A distant second.  Hard to pierce.  Fairly consistent action.  Easy to unjam when needed , can lip slightly rough but not excessive
3.   Wenger.  It pierces the can better than Leatherman but when it jams, it requires a lot of levering against the blade face to get space enough to remove the tool.  Action has the same consistency as the Leatherman.  Can lip has dangerous sharp edges.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:56:14 PM by Mr. Whippy »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Opening a can (not of worms or whupa$$)
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:56:55 PM
Cools beans :D

We did something similar at last years meet up over here. When HK was cooking a big one pot dinner,  got the boys to play can opening with about 5 different tins and tools. It wasn't very scientific as I believe alcohol had already been taken at this point.

It might be in the write up somewhere.... I know the P-38 wasn't the winner!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:57:36 PM
Yay, another win for Victorinox!!! :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 02:54:09 PM
Yup! I agree on the opener results.  But, how long is it before you eat all those beans?? ::)
W

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:00:12 PM
One day per can.   We use green beans to add bulk to the dog's food.  Fills 'em up without filling them out ;)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:42:16 PM
We use the can opener on my Spirit S daily as it works so well we never saw a reason to go buy a real one. The Spirit S has become a kitchen utensil. It's actually really handy to have in that regard, and my GF and I have both gotten just as, if not faster, with the Vic opener than we were with "real" ones.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:51:16 PM

We did something similar at last years meet up over here. When HK was cooking a big one pot dinner,  got the boys to play can opening with about 5 different tins and tools. It wasn't very scientific as I believe alcohol had already been taken at this point.

Victorinox first and second place; one on a Spirit (Screwtape's) and one on a Huntsman (mine).  Sorry to say I can't remember what else was used and what order they might have come in. :-\  it was all pretty close though.

Good review Nate.  Personally I've managed neater edges with a Wenger but I totally agree that if it gets stuck it's a PITA.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:56:58 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:10:42 PM
Great review and photos!  :tu:

I noticed one thing though inside the can edge you can see where the longer tip on the Wenger and Leatherman tools scratched the inside of the can severely, maybe even gouging out chunks that fell into the food/can? That would be a big problem!  :ahhh

Can you tell if it left any debris inside the can on top of the food? :think:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:18:25 PM
The Wenger and LM both make me not wanting those green beans so much. Metally bits.  :-\

So... Vic vs P-38 next?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:45:44 PM
My Vic. is the only canopener I use in the kitchen .

Chris

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:25:29 PM
I did a similar test a couple years back only between Vic and Wenger.

I found that I REALLY liked the Vic for the same reasons as you but then I decided if I was on an island with only a Wenger then I could make do. :cheers:

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:18 PM
One day per can.   We use green beans to add bulk to the dog's food.  Fills 'em up without filling them out ;)
Wow, your dog eats a #10 can of green beans every day? Not being a dog owner, this amazes me.

Perhaps this is your breed?  :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 08:05:44 PM
Wow, your dog eats a #10 can of green beans every day? Not being a dog owner, this amazes me.

Sorry, dogs' food:

2 Rhodesian ridgebacks
1 Yellow lab
3 Jack Russell terriers

:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 09:09:43 PM
Nice comparison!  :tu:

I did one in my head-to-head with the deluxe tinker and juice cs4 ... and my Vic results were not as clean as yours. Maybe technique/style comes into it too  :shrug:

I must admit I've never had much trouble with the Wenger style, plus find it useful for package opening and general picky/pokey tasks, so I still prefer using that. My favourite opener is should be my BAK as that just rips cans open, and the hook actually bands under the lip  ... but the handle (having the sheepsfoot blade protrude so far) is REALLY uncomfortable, and just not fun to use

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:16:12 PM

Sorry, dogs' food:

2 Rhodesian ridgebacks
1 Yellow lab
3 Jack Russell terriers

:D
Of course, I should have read between the lines. I was so taken with the idea of A dog eating all that I didn't think it through. Great idea, probably keeps them regular too.  :dwts:

:b2t:

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:58 AM
vic is the best.

but I do like the leatherman juice bottle openers the best for opening coors light. =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:00 AM

Victorinox first and second place; one on a Spirit (Screwtape's) and one on a Huntsman (mine).  Sorry to say I can't remember what else was used and what order they might have come in. :-\  it was all pretty close though.

Good review Nate.  Personally I've managed neater edges with a Wenger but I totally agree that if it gets stuck it's a PITA.

I remember I came last :(  Though I was using the in handle opener of a LM Mini :D  In fact I think I gave in half way around.  Conclusion: on a desert island I wouldn't starve but I'd pretty much use any other can opener!

Nice review :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:05:51 PM
OK I did my own playing around this evening and gave my sharpened Juice opener and a Wenger a chance.

First up was the Juice.  Now this is the first time I've used the opener since I gave it a bit of a sharpen and only the second time ever.  It works well enough and certainly got it's half of the can open easily enough.  I found that I could only take very small bites at the can so had to make lots of little cuts, makes for a very neat edge, but it does take a while.

Next up is a Wenger (Commander if you're interested).  Now I have used this one quite a bit more (though still not a regular thing) and I find it a good opener.  I found that I could make longer cuts and so it took fewer passes to open the second half of the can, might not be quite as neat but it was a lot faster.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline BigFatTon

Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 06:47:24 PM
does anyone else have a problem with the "small screwdriver" on the tip of the Vic can opener getting caught on the edge of the lid?  I find it to be very annoying, and I much prefer the leatherman "claw" design, which i've never had any problems with. 

Offline umberto00

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:28 PM
As much as I love my leathermans, nothing beats the Victorinox can opener. I've even raced against my roommate, me with a SAK, him with a real can opener. Guess who won?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:47 PM
Great tests, that victoreen looks impressive.
It is good to see, on the internet, cans being opened with can openers instead of combat knives.  ;)

It makes me wish I had some cans without a pull ring around.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:49 PM
Turn them upside down and pretend ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 09:55:07 PM
I know the results would be the same if I tried since I have MUCH more experience with the Vic opener than any other.  Well, I guess it doesn't help that the only Wenger I own is an SI....  :P

I opened a can with my LM Mini the other day and was totally surprised by the results, as it never looked to me like it would work well at all.  It opened up the can quickly, but the dull-edged tool left a very ragged edge around the can.
- Terry

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24:52 PM
The reason I used the large #10 can for this test is because the metal is so much thicker.  We've broken a few dedicated can openers over the years on these cans--generally the handle torques off.

Weaknesses in design show up quickly.  If the Wenger locked open, it would be better than  the Charge ALX opener, I'm sure--because of the point.  Not locking allows it to get pinched in the slot and then the tool wants to fold up.  The locking LM tool avoids this.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 08:24:23 AM
 I have to say, my Pulse's can opener is one of the finest I have ever used.  I don't really care for LM's new design though.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 02:08:53 AM
Quick update:

This evening, we were opening cans of refried beans, so I pulled out the SAME Wenger that I used in this test.

On the smaller standard can, the Wenger works just as well as the Vic opener (just a tiny bit slower).

As I suspected, it's not until you get to the #10 can size and thickness of steel that differences show up

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%