Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SwissChamp?

Offline sramsay12

Victorinox SwissChamp?
on: April 08, 2011, 07:38:24 PM
Looking for comments on the Vic SC, how does it face up against a Swisstool in terms of price, quality, functions, tools etc.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:19:36 PM by Mr. Whippy »

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Re: Vicorinox SwissChamp?
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:56:22 PM
Different worlds matey... Totally different!

SAK SwissChamp is knife based multitool and SwissTool is plier based MT....

Size group is not the same SC is small and ST is BIIIG...

Duty is not the same SC is light duty and ST is heavy duty...

I have them both, but can't compare them, they are just same producer different worlds.... Diametral oposite...

:climber: :multi:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

Offline sramsay12

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:00:06 PM
Thanks for your post, if you could only have one and use it for EDC, what would you choose?
The SwissChamp is quite large by SAK standards though!
I personally don't care that much for pliers, but rather small ones than nothing!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:10:00 PM
I would allways go for SwissTool, though my first was SC....

I need pliers, and the selection of tool suits my needs... And it is  :multi:

If you don't need pliers go with SAK SC, or some smaller (thinner) model with less tools...

And maybe you should check out SwissTool Spirit, smaller and lighter than ST, but capable enough!

Check out this rev and roam trough forum a while....

http://www.multitool.org/Victorinox/Medium-Tools/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline sramsay12

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:21:19 PM
edcgear
I used to consider the Spirit Plus to be the best multitool ever, but I have a magnetic pull to the SwissChamp, and the Spirit is expensive I think!
I'll check out the review now, thanks for link!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:23:21 PM
You are not far from truth!  ;)

I have ST Spirit Plus with both ratchet and wrench and cork screw with small screwdriver, and all fits in nylon pouch! :D :D

:multi: :multi:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline sramsay12

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:35 PM
The review is great but I wish it was longer! I like the fact that Vic tools tend to have more functions than any LM (I believe the most heavy duty LM is the Surge)
The Spirit is nice but as I said... Although I like to have an open mind.
I do think that the Spirit is very visually appealing, but the only complaints I've heard of the SC is the size, no serrated blades, and something to do with fish scaler!
I'd like to get a tool with lots of tools, as long as they're good quality- I wouldn't buy a specialized tool or knife like the LM Genus or Vic Fisherman for common use.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:41:15 PM
If you don't really need a pliers (except as a super-duper tweezers), the SwissChamp is great (Cybertool 41 is even better, IMO because of the drivers).  The scissors on the Swisschamp/CT 41 are much better than the Spirit scissors.  The saw and can opener are easier to use on the SC too (from an ergonomic standpoint).

If you need pliers and wire cutters, you'll be happier with the Spirit

Offline sramsay12

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:52 PM
I don't need pliers much either Mr Whippy, I like the SwissChamp too but don't like drivers, but the Cybertool seems quite highly regarded too!

Offline sramsay12

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:59 PM
Dude.. spelt Victorinox wrong, I suck. (You agree with me on this one, I'll sticky grenade you in any PC game featuring grenades and Chinese women)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:20:17 PM
Dude.. spelt Victorinox wrong, I suck. (You agree with me on this one, I'll sticky grenade you in any PC game featuring grenades and Chinese women)

Shh!

No will ever know now... ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Victorinox SwissChamp?
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 11:17:15 PM
In terms of price (at least here in the UK) the SwissChamp is a good bit cheaper then the Swisstool or Spirit.  If you feel you don't need the pliers, and not everyone does, then it's an excellent option. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 01:09:00 AM
In the US sometimes you can get a Spirit very cheap, but the same can be said for the swiss champ.  I think the Spirit is the current "Swiss Champ", but if the size of the Spirit is not what your looking for you can't go wrong with the SwissChamp.  Both are excellent.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:05 AM
It should also be noted that both the Swisstool and the Spirit outweigh the Swisschamp by quite a bit.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 10:50:29 AM
Think that CyberTool would be near perfect. You don't care for pliers. And you'll have good range of screw covered....

Great tool IMO...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline sramsay12

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:32:20 AM
I like the Bow Guy's answer very much!
It seems that Leathermans and Victorinox Swisstools/Spirits are the best for heavy duty work and the Swisschamp is the best choice if you're just needing to get out of a pinch or have handy tools for backup.

Offline Bladester

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 06:37:46 PM
If you really don't need pliers, you might consider the Champion Plus.  Same tools as the Swiss Champ, except for the small pliers.  Cheaper and one layer thinner than the Swiss Champ.  I have both, but like the Champion Plus better because it is a little thinner, easier to carry and hold.  Fits in the upper pocket of my work vest.

--Larry

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 07:32:32 PM
It should also be noted that both the Swisstool and the Spirit outweigh the Swisschamp by quite a bit.
SwissTool Yes... a monster;  Swiss Spirit... I don't thing so; they are quite close, something like 20g difference (11%) and if you compare it to the stage scaled one, I'd say not really noticeable (+10% or less). 

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 07:48:14 PM
SwissTool Yes... a monster;  Swiss Spirit... I don't thing so; they are quite close, something like 20g difference (11%) and if you compare it to the stage scaled one, I'd say not really noticeable (+10% or less).

Spirit - 246g
Champ - 187g

So you're right, not as much difference as I thought.  :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:21:06 PM

Spirit - 246g
Champ - 187g

Don't know where that number is from or what it includes, but my Spirit alone is 210g.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:11 AM

Spirit - 246g
Champ - 187g

Don't know where that number is from or what it includes, but my Spirit alone is 210g.

Victorinox website.

ca Offline Stirling3749

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 10:19:21 PM

Spirit - 246g
Champ - 187g

Victorinox website.
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1008/3.0227.L

They probbaly included the sheath with that as that is the way it comes, and for most purposes one does need some pouch to carry it on them.  That's why I like to weigh and measure things myself, never hurts to have a double check.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:42 PM
The SwissChamp is one of my favorite SAK's. I keep one at my desk ready to handle many tasks. It might be a little too much for casual pocket carry but I have a sheath if I ever decided to carry it.

There is a SwissChamp with sheath selling cheap on eBay for the US only market if anyone is interested. I do not know the seller and will not be bidding so maybe someone can get their first SwissChamp at a reasonable price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290553150873
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:40:27 PM by stressmaster5000 »

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 10:39:04 PM

Spirit - 246g
Champ - 187g

Victorinox website.
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1008/3.0227.L

They probbaly included the sheath with that as that is the way it comes, and for most purposes one does need some pouch to carry it on them.  That's why I like to weigh and measure things myself, never hurts to have a double check.

:oops: touche

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 11:23:55 PM
If you really don't need pliers, you might consider the Champion Plus.

I've never heard of the Champion Plus before this thread, but looked up and really like what I see. Does anyone have one? Opinions?
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:31 AM
If you really don't need pliers, you might consider the Champion Plus.

I've never heard of the Champion Plus before this thread, but looked up and really like what I see. Does anyone have one? Opinions?
Many people must have them they were by far the best bang for the buck the previous two years and Amazon would let them out the door for mear peanuts; even at their regular Amazon price with free shipping they are just the best value for the money you can get.  Prior to the special run for Amazon, Walmart had them and blew a lot of them out at a steal. 

I love them, they use to compete with my Ranger for pocket/bag time.  At the time I didn't appreciate the Champ as much though, but now I like the pliers on the Champ more, and love that I can get it with great buffalo horn, stag, and wood scales.  Of course I love all SAKs, especially those at bargain prices, so hopefully someone else will chime in; but is there anything not to like?  I guess now a days we have the Cybertools... and man those are awesome too...  If you have to decide it's tough.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:42 AM
the spirit is my favorite multitool ever.
mine doesn't have a single flaw on it.
highly recommended.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 01:19:18 AM
Well my mind was made up for me in a way :). Got a bit of a kickback (for lack of a better term...) at work, the perfect amount for a Champion Plus and a sheath. Just ordered it from Amazon. My first BIG SAK!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:29 AM
darn i want a swiss champ.
gotta have pliers. =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Donations

Operational Funds