Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking about two wheels again.

Chako · 31 · 2629

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Thinking about two wheels again.
on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:38 PM
As most of you know, I survived a motorcycle accident back in late September with a few broken ribs and various bumps and scrapes. Well during mending, I assured myself that I was not going to quite an activity that I enjoy tremendously due to some idiot who didn't even have the decency to stop after hitting me.

In November after I became mobile enough, I went around to look at various local motorcycle shops and decided that this time around, I would buy one from a local dealer. I liked the Yamaha folks after visiting them a few times, and bought a 2009 V-Star 1100 Classic. November apparently is a great time to buy a motorcycle as they usually have last year's model discounted.  They offered to not register the bike and store it  until Springtime, and that way, I get my full warranty. I agreed.

That gave me the winter months to order parts for the motorcycle.  I wanted to turn this one into a bagger, as I like the utilitarian looks, and I loved having saddlebags on the Triumph America...unfortunately, I didn't get to enjoy those for any great length of time. I ordered a lot of gear back in November, and half of it arrived in February.  I found out today, that the other half hasn't been ordered yet. I guess they figured the Yamaha parts can be here in two days...which means all the parts should be in by week's end...sigh.

Anyways, I took some photographs of the motorcycle before the items are added on.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Thinking about two wheels again.
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:20 AM
I really like the looks of the bike, Chako. :)  Question:  Why do so few motorcycles have gas tank sensors to let you know how much fuel you have left?  It'd drive me bonkers.  :ahhh

I wonder how many SAKs I'd have to trade for that puppy.  :pok:  :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:06:39 AM
I really like the looks of the bike, Chako. :)  Question:  Why do so few motorcycles have gas tank sensors to let you know how much fuel you have left?  It'd drive me bonkers.  :ahhh

Because motorcycles lean to turn, it is difficult to design a system that accurately reflects fuel levels when gas is low. Another problem relates to the shapes of tanks. It is hard to get them to reflect the actual rate of fuel used.

For example, if the tank is in the shape of a cone with the apex at the bottom, it will register near full until you're down to 1/4 tank then precipitously drop to low fuel levels.  Most people find that deceptive and prefer a low fuel light or a simple petcock system with a "Reserve" setting.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:13:18 AM

Because motorcycles lean to turn, it is difficult to design a system that accurately reflects fuel levels when gas is low. Another problem relates to the shapes of tanks. It is hard to get them to reflect the actual rate of fuel used.

For example, if the tank is in the shape of a cone with the apex at the bottom, it will register near full until you're down to 1/4 tank then precipitously drop to low fuel levels.  Most people find that deceptive and prefer a low fuel light or a simple petcock system with a "Reserve" setting.

Ah, that's logical. :)  It'd still drive me a bit OCD, I'd imagine, but it does make perfect sense. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:08:46 AM
Yes that is the truth of it. I twice ran my Triumph into the reserve tank. The first time, I was motoring along and it died going around a curve. I pulled to the side wondering what just happened. After about 5 minutes scratching my head, I remembered about the fuel petcock and the reserve tank. It started up nicely and I couldn't get to a gas station fast enough as I didn't know how long my reserve would last. The second time wasn't as exciting.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:12:40 AM
I stopped into the dealer after work today, and am glad I did. They were anxious to show me what they have done so far, and I must say, it looks better then I could have imagined. Everything is in except for the chrome battery covers. They were about half done when I visited. I am very happy I went with luggage racks on the hard cases...and those Tsukayu Strong hard bags are beautiful on the motorcycle. I am going to stop over tomorrow and take a few photographs. So expect some updated photos tomorrow sometime.  :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:14:23 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:27 AM
Here is the update photo taken today. They still haven't attached the fairing, passing lights, and a few odds and ends.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:38:15 AM
Word to the wise:  Learn the proper way to lift a bike.  (Youtube will have videos).

If that badboy ever tips over, it's gonna take serious technique to pick it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:23:18 AM
They teach you the proper way in the safety course I took. Mind you, the trick is to not drop it in the first place.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 01:53:19 AM
Update photos taken today. The weather has so far made it rather easy for me to keep the bike at the dealers and not in my garage. I haven't done the paperwork yet, nor bought any insurance for it. If all goes as planned, all of that should be taken care of this coming week.

The lack of lighting in their shop overpowered my little flash on the Canon S5 IS. I must also add that they haven't cleaned the motorcycle yet, so please forgive the greasy finger prints on the bike. They still had one of the battery covers off, but the motorcycle is 99.9% done.

I must say, I love the bagger look. Not sure if I am going to give the motorcycle a custom paint job yet, or keep it as a two tone motorcycle. I need to ride it around for a while before I make the decision. Likewise, not sure if I am just going to buy the Memphis Shades 3 pouch accessory, put in a Hogtunes module for sound (seems kind of pointless to me on a motorcycle), or do something else. I can see myself in the future adding a motorcycle GPS system down the road.

The front end is now finished. Yay!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 02:01:19 PM
The latest info in this saga is a bit strange and painful. I visited my insurance company on Friday after work, and they quoted me a very high price. It went up 200 dollars from the last time, as the company just increased their rates. I asked them if this was for a first year or second year rider, and was I found at fault for my motorcycle accident, as they never saw fit to inform me, and the few times I did call, I only got...we don't have your accident report yet from the police.

My insurance broker called and finally got to talk to someone. They looked up my case and she told me I was not found at fault. Yay! I was worried about that all winter. I was prepared to get a lawyer and all. Here is the best part, she calculated my rates as if I was found at fault (how do you like that). She re-calculates the new rates and gives me a better price. She then asks me if I had my license for a full year yet, and I replied not yet, as I recalled taking it mid May. True enough, the date is May 17th. She then tells me the rate she gave me was for a first year rider, and that Jevco's rates get better after that first year (they have two rates). She re-calculates the new after 1 year rate and tells me I would be saving almost 550 dollars!

I tell her thank you and that I will be getting back to her soon. I then visit the dealer and ask them if they are willing to house the bike for a few more weeks. They are more then happy to do so, telling me it isn't taking up much room. They have been using it as a show case of sorts, bringing other customers to the other building to show them. They also told me the weather was going to be crappy for the upcoming week...or so the long range forecasting was telling them that morning.

This was something I didn't plan on. I am sort of kicking myself for procrastinating so long in getting my motorcycle liscence. I could pay the extra and get the motorcycle sooner, but the weather looks like it won't be all that great, or wait and take the lower rate. Maybe spend that money on parts for the motorcycle. I would rather pay less insurance and put parts on the motorcycle. I have decided to wait. Since I won't be getting insurance until mid May (sigh), I bought some Kuryakyn ISO grips, and an oil filter relocation kit. The V-star 1100 has one large design fault. In order to change the oil filter, you need to remove the exhaust to get to it. For some unknown reason, Yamaha decided to never fix this design flaw, and consequently, there are plenty of relocation kits out there. This seemed like a good thing to get. I may as well get everything I want on it before I take possession. 

Torture would be to get awesome weather the following week. Talk about a strange twist. I am overly happy that I was not found at fault. Not so happy that I would seamlessly flow into the second year if I hadn't had that accident...and thus would be able to get my motorcycle this weekend in my garage as planned. Well at least I only have to wait a little more than two weeks I guess. I bought the motorcycle back in November. What is a few weeks more.  :rant:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:33:51 PM
Sigh. Two nice days so far, and I am struggling in my wait.  :(

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 02:49:55 PM
That looks great chako, reminds me of harleys road king  :tu:  i hope they get it sorted asap and you get out on the road for the nice weather , i miss my old z1000 , one day when the girls are older i might when money alows get another bike, seeing your pics makes me wont one now  :D   :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:55 AM
Well after a little more idiocy from my brokers, I now have insurance on the motorcycle. That means tomorrow, the motorcycle gets plated and officially changes name.  :cheers:

The kuryakyn ISO grips and throttle boss look awesome. I am set for first ride on Saturday which is the soonest I can pick it up. What a journey.  :B:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 12:13:51 PM
Wheels are over rated... what you really need is:

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:30:04 PM
It's all fun and games until you have to march with it on your back!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 06:52:10 PM
Lol, a super Segway. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 01:03:31 AM
I think the rider might be more effective wearing this...

I mean...how can you go wrong with the crotch clock.  :D

spam Offline Doraemon

• A man can never have enough watches... and tools!
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 12:04:56 PM
Nice. I like the sidebox with the 'grills' on top. I used to have one until it was stolen. Worst thing was insurance did not cover fire and theft because they said my bike was too old.
You have the right tool... but do you know how to use it the right way?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 06:27:45 PM
<----  :D

That is a BIG grin. I got my motorcycle and rode around on it for most of the morning.

I was unsure how I would do after my accident. I would be lying to you if I didn't feel some butterflies. In fact, I had a hard time sleeping last night. However once I sat in the saddle and started the V-Star 1100 up, and drove off, all became good with the world once again.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:08:22 AM
Here are my scattered thoughts on the new motorcycle compared to my beloved and late Triumph America.

1. The new motorcycle appears to be easier to start, and harder to stall in first. This could be due to more experience, but the Triumph did have a higher first gear, and for a month or so, I would stall the bike at a few green lights. It was most vexing.

2. I was fearful of the increase power, and the drive shaft. I am happy to report that I don't see much difference between my 800cc Triumph and the 1100cc Yamaha, except at highway speeds where I don't seem to have to downshift to pass as much as I had to with the smaller engine. I don't notice or experience the typical heaving usually experienced with a shaft drive either. I also don't seem to notice any noticeable lag usually associated with this type of drive system. Mind you, my experience is limited...but comparing it to my chain drive America...I am pleasantly surprised with the V-Star 1100's characteristics.

3. I was worried about the increased weight, but since I am a big guy, I find I can handle this motorcycle fairly well. I do notice a little more difficulty wrestling the motorcycle on a sloped surface...but nothing worrying.

4. The driving positions of the two are different. On the Triumph, the handle bars were perfect, but the floorboards  were too far back for me, necessitating my big feet to be half off of them all the time.  The seat was good on the America. The V-star handlebars seem to be a little too far away for my comfort, either that or I am supposed to ride with my arms stretched out horizontally. I find myself leaning in a little on my first drive. The floorboards are larger and better positioned. However, the heel/toe shifter on the left foot is a little tight, or at least for my size 12s. Getting used to the heel shifter will be tough as I find myself still pulling upwards with my toes at times. The cockpit of the V-Star feels a lot larger, and the riding position is more splayed out. The V-Star seat is definitely a lot larger. The America was more compact and you hugged the bike as you rode it. The gas tank even had ergonomic cutouts for your knees.

5. As far as sound goes, it is certainly different. Both bikes sounded so different that I can't make a comparison. What I can say is that I think the V-Star is quieter overall. The previous owner tampered with the America's baffles in the muffler prior to selling the bike to me.  It isn't so much that the Triumph was loud, but that the V-Star is rather quiet. The sound of the V-Star at speed is very nice.  It is possibly too quiet at idle (if such a thing exists).

6. I liked the location of the instrument pod on the America a lot better than one the gas tank of the V-Star.  Placing your speedometer above the handlebars is a lot nicer then having to look down all the time.

7. I seem to have an issue with finding neutral on any motorcycle I hop on. Not sure why. I know where it is, but getting the little neutral light to glow can be frustrating at times. I can say this though, the glow on the Triumph is a lot brighter than that of the V-Star.  In bright sunlight, the V-Star is harder to see. I think the neutral finding issue will evaporate with more experience, although I was talking to a long time motorcycle friend, and he tells me he sometimes has the same issue. I hear some motorcycles have a built in feature that makes it easier to find neutral. Is this an issue with other motorcyclist, or am I just special? :D

8. Heavier weight makes the V-Star a pleasure to travel on highways. I don't blow around as much as on the America. With that said, the America is easier to manhandle in the parking lot.

9.  The hard bags on the V-Star (Tsukayu Strong bags) do not appear to change the aerodynamics of the motorcycle overly much. On the America, I noticed a big difference when I added Leatherlyke plastic hard bags. The Triumph felt a little unstable after their addition. I don't get the same sense of instability with the V-Star. Not sure if this is due to the batwing fairing on the V-star, or to some other reason. Keep in mind that these are only  first impressions after spending a few hours on the new motorcycle.

10. My Triumph America came with a nice windshield  whose height came to just below my eyesight. It had two wings that enveloped the turning signals. I liked it, but found that I could get some wind buffeting on the upper helmet at times. It was great to not eat bugs unlike my windshield less friend on his motorcycle. The Memphis Shades batwing fairing is a totally different beast. The windshield is a lot lower, the tip coming to the bottom of my throat. However, I do not get any wind buffeting at all. Likewise, I don't feel any wind on my hands or arms either. Like the Triumph's windshield, it also does a great job of tossing bugs away from me. A big thumbs up on the batwing fairing. Never thought I could fall in love with a piece of motorcycle equipment...but the fairing is there to stay permanently. I am not even interested in the other windshield options that Memphis Shades produce.

11. The key ignition on the Triumph was a pain in the rear to use. It was located on the left hand side just below your left cheek. I had a hard time finding the spot once on the motorcycle, especially when wearing gloves. Likewise, there was a separate key for the wheel column lock. The V-Star has a more friendlier location. The combo ignition and wheel lock is located just before the steering column. Easy to find while sitting on the motorcycle. The same key is also used to unlock the gas tank...a nice feature. The V-Star also comes with a nice toolkit hidden behind one of the battery covers. This cover locks using the same key. One key versus two, no contest in this regard.

12. Not only is the key location a lot better on the V-Star, so is the choke, which is located on the left handlebar's control cluster. This is greatly superior to the Triumph's  left engine location under the gas tank next to the fuel cock.

So there you have it, my initial thoughts after my first V-Star 1100 ride.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:12:10 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 09:39:48 PM
Well, today was a nice day to go down to the beach. I also took along my camera. Here are two more shots of my ride.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:39:14 AM
Nice set of wheels you have there Chako. :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:39 PM
Thanks.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 03:15:38 PM
very nice mate, now you have me wanting another bike  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:46 PM
Sorry.

Ah who am I kidding. Aren't we just a bunch of enablers around here.  :pok:  :pok:  :D

I visited the local dealer today wanting to change a few things on the motorcycle now that I have driven it a few times. The Triumph America sort of spoiled me somewhat in the comfort league.

I asked if they could adjust the rear brake pedal forward somewhat, and I find my arms are straight out to the handlebars. Ok for short jaunts, but for long rides, not so good. So I am looking into something that could possibly move the handlebars an inch or so backwards. I am also looking into getting a Mustang seat with a backrest. I also ordered a few more chrome baubles for it.

So right now, in the research stage to find out how I can fit this motorcycle to me like a T.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 01:32:11 AM
Well, I am finding I won't have to change anything right now. I have changed my foot location and that made a world of difference.

Something did happen at work today though. It was my friend's birthday. He is a notorious practical joker, and it was time to get back at him somewhat. I posted a little Jibjab video in the front foyer to repeat on the flat screen TV we have there for announcements. Well, he quickly figured out the culprit. At the end of the day, when it was time for me to leave, I noticed a few balloons tied to my handlebars. I used my knifeless Fuse's scissors to cut the balloons off...

He just emailed me a photo of one of his helper elves doing the deed. I blocked out the features due to privacy issues.

:rofl:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 02:25:58 AM
I'm torn between the spartan features of your motorcycle when you initially purchased it and the swag it has now; I must say, I'm liking the current additions more and more. :tu:

Offline BigChris99

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 06:54:45 PM
Nice bike Chako. I have three bikes myself, one of them being a Honda Valkyrie. One of the best things I added to my Valk was a Utopia backrest for me. Very nice and comfortable. Makes me feel like like I'm not just holding myself up by the bars. Also, if your handlebars feel too far away, you might look into bar risers. They will move your bars up and back. Good luck with the new bike and ride safe.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 01:15:03 AM
Thanks. I am sort of on the fence with that right now. Just putting more miles on the motorcycle and if something really sticks out, I will fix it for more comfort. For instance, I was going to put a new seat, however, I find the factory stock seat not that bad. Sill unsure if I should mode the handlebars. I will know better with more familiarity. Been riding every chance I get though and having a blast.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59