Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why Velcro?!!!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Why Velcro?!!!
on: April 11, 2011, 07:27:47 AM
Alright, after some chicanery, shenanigans and general tomfoolery, I managed to get my hands on a brand-spankin' new Victorinox Swisstool Spirit for a ridiculously low price.

Of course, typical of Victorinox the quality is excellent, great fit and finish, etc.

My question is the sheath.  After going to the trouble of including a good quality, riveted leather sheath with the MT, why did Vic go and put that god awful velcro on it?  I'll pay the extra, what, dollar's worth of cost for a proper snap.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Re: Why Velcro?!!!
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:35 AM
Take off the stitching and remove the velcro, then jb weld a small neodimiam magnet to the metal part on the inner part of the flap. Since the Spirit itself is steel you only need one magnet.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:30:31 AM
That was my first thought when I got my spirit, and because of the vic emblem I can't install my own snap either.  :(

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:57:06 AM
Take off the stitching and remove the velcro, then jb weld a small neodimiam magnet to the metal part on the inner part of the flap. Since the Spirit itself is steel you only need one magnet.

it works a treat as i did this to my mobile phone case and i just flip it shut  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18:16 PM
I prefer a magnet too but velcro is bloody everywhere!

I did however, see a bit the other day without the scratchy bit. I think the hooks were curled under so it wasn't scratchy to the touch but still worked really well.... what is this supervelcro?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:38 PM
I can't say I like their sheaths either , as a rule I throw sheaths over my left shoulder , and either make my own of find a pistol mag pouch that fits .

Chris

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:11 AM
I made a small hole thru the sheath, a nylon one mind you. Then looped a hair band with a split ring thru it (the velcro wasnt all that secure). So basically when I close the sheath I grab the split ring and pull the elastic hair tie down and around the bottom of the sheath.
T

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:52 PM
After using my Spirit sheath almost every day for about 4 months the velcro really began to wear out. Now it does almost nothing to hold the flap closed.

it works a treat as i did this to my mobile phone case and i just flip it shut  :tu:

Nice. I havn't actually tried this myself but it was what first came to mind when I saw that the flap uses felcro.
For a phone though, wouldn't the magnet mess up the electronics? phones nowadays are essentially small computers.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:23:13 PM
After using my Spirit sheath almost every day for about 4 months the velcro really began to wear out. Now it does almost nothing to hold the flap closed.

Nice. I havn't actually tried this myself but it was what first came to mind when I saw that the flap uses felcro.
For a phone though, wouldn't the magnet mess up the electronics? phones nowadays are essentially small computers.

Small computers that use solid-state storage rather than magneto-optical.  The magnetic field from a small magnet (even a rare earth magnet) isn't nearly enough to affect electrical current.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:28:51 PM
Just don't wear a compass watch and sheath on the same side.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%