Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Powerlock handle covers - On or Off?

Hammer · 12 · 3184

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
SOG Powerlock handle covers - On or Off?
on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:55 AM
The SOG Powerlock has removable handle covers.  I prefer mine off.  What's your preference?
NRA Member
No Regrets!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: SOG Powerlock handle covers - On or Off?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:19:30 PM
I prefer them on.  Actually, I could live without them but I'm used to them being on.  Plus, it does make my Powerlock more comfortable.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Mike 208

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:50 PM
I have a older Powerlock and a PowerAssist that has the covers- I prefer them to be on (they really make the tool more comfortable to use).

Offline sillydude

• New User
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:01 PM
I have them stay on. Those were SOG's answer to the original Leatherman Super tool from the '90s. One tough tool with unfriendly handles. ( it can handle more than my hands were willing to squeeze)

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:29 AM
Amici,
Quick question regarding the fit and finish of the handle covers, Do yours fit to the handles flush once the covers are folded down?

What I have noticed for years on mine is that they don't properly sit right, and are always popping off to an extent that makes the tool feel cheap, hence why I don't use it for edc or just about anything.

Here are two pics illustrating what I mean..

Cheers,
Serge
SOG 1.jpg
* SOG 1.jpg (Filesize: 36.05 KB)
SOG 2.jpg
* SOG 2.jpg (Filesize: 35.86 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 02:45:19 AM
Straight out of the box, one of the handle covers on my Powerlock is slightly crooked like in your pics but not that extreme.  The holes in the handle are aligned perfectly so I think the handle cover is just warped.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:46 AM
The SOG Powerlock has removable handle covers.  I prefer mine off.  What's your preference?

Off.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 05:19:33 AM
On. I can see the argument for off, but I find it rather painful to use without them.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:27 AM
I've run mine both ways. While I dislike the flappy covers and find them to be a nuisance. I always seem to end up putting them back on.   :shrug:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:36 PM
On, for the comfort factor.   Plus, they make you slow down just a little bit and enjoy what you are doing.

us Offline David

Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 08:05:53 PM
On, for the comfort factor.  Plus, they make you slow down just a little bit and enjoy what you are doing.

Good observation PN. I hadnt thought of it that way.  :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:54 AM
I've run mine both ways. While I dislike the flappy covers and find them to be a nuisance. I always seem to end up putting them back on.   :shrug:
I agree 100% with David on this, and because they are generally left on, I feel like I don't have exactly what I want on my waist.

Amici,
Quick question regarding the fit and finish of the handle covers, Do yours fit to the handles flush once the covers are folded down?

What I have noticed for years on mine is that they don't properly sit right, and are always popping off to an extent that makes the tool feel cheap, hence why I don't use it for edc or just about anything.

Here are two pics illustrating what I mean..

Cheers,
Serge

Mine do not fit like they should either, and since they are not fitting properly there are many times I would EDC, but...
When I put them on and and try to loosen or tighten a nut or bolt that requires a strong hand, they tend to move all over the place, and I am afraid of a major pinch due to slippage.  I usually end up using a rag wrapped aroung the tool.
I have also had them pop off while I am opening or closing them.  I have worked on trying to achieve the proper fit, but have had no luck.
The funny thing is... I still love them!
Hammer

NRA Member
No Regrets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72