Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any experience with Spyderco Urban? Alternatives?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
on: April 15, 2011, 05:10:07 PM
I'm starting to realise that I now need a OHO slippie with clip. I've managed for years with traditional slippies, but as situations change so do tool requirements. The knife I've seen which best seems to fit what I'm looking for is the Spydie Urban Leaf:

Decent blade steel
Good pocketable but useful size (UKPK G10 & FRN are a bit too big IMO)
OHO
Low carry clip
Decent grip with oily hands (work is NOT a clean environment for me)
Slipjoint (not particularly a legal issue - locking blades infuriate me for the most part)

Downside ... COST! Silly money over here, and though Google kicks up some deals overseas - they tend to be domestic deals only with no overseas shipping or BIG shipping costs. Then again there doesn't seem to be a great deal of competition in this arena. Sooooo ........

Anyone had any experience with the Urban? Thoughts?
Any recommendations of other options which fit the bill?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Any experience with Spyderco Urban? Alternatives?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18:52 PM
Ive had a few byrds and all good plus good prices, so how about this one, jims out of stock but im sure he will have some more soon or mabe HH have it but ive not checked yet,

http://www.swissknifeandtool.co.uk/product.php?productid=17363&cat=906&page=1

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:20:47 PM
there you go  :tu: plus they do one a few pound cheaper

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Byrd-Knives/c-13-92-121/

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:28:49 PM
Ive had a few byrds and all good plus good prices, so how about this one, jims out of stock but im sure he will have some more soon or mabe HH have it but ive not checked yet,

http://www.swissknifeandtool.co.uk/product.php?productid=17363&cat=906&page=1

I know I nabbed the last one I think :D

I found the Wings Slipit to be quite uncomfortable, and if you're not careful when you close it (especially one handed or against your leg), the blade can push sideways and foul the other blade. I think this could be a back up plan, but I'd have to take one of the blades away. Gripping on one of the blade spines  isn't pleasant at all.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:41:40 PM
 :-\  i find this with certain slippie patterns but have got use to it, i might leave the wing split then, ive found the sanrenmu make to be pretty solid for the money and the 710 has impressed me but of course not uk legal, on there site though im sure there is a OHO slippie  :think: could be a alternative and i know a guy who can get them in as ordered me a larger version of the 710 for me,  :tu:

ie Offline LooseNut

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:47:23 PM
Hey, you should look at the Boker Plus XS.

Its a sub 3 inch slippie, OHO, decent 440C SST and way cheaper than the spyderco.

Have heard only good about it. Its on Heinnies btw.
Cheers.
Fatherly advice;
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night....

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:26:31 AM
I recently handled the orange Urban, just didn't like the wharncliffe blade. I wound up going with the Ti UKPK, mostly because I like titanium. Aside from not liking the blade shape, the Urban was a great knife.

IMHO its impossible to beat Spyderco ergonomics...
(insert witty quote)

ca Offline gunga

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:30:50 AM
YOu can get the Foliage Green Urban, it has a leaf shaped blade.

I have no experience with them, but would like to get one.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 04:12:37 AM
YOu can get the Foliage Green Urban, it has a leaf shaped blade.

I have no experience with them, but would like to get one.

I did consider that, but my infatuation with titanium won out. I also considered using it as a money clip, for which the G10 is too grippy.
(insert witty quote)

ca Offline gunga

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:35 AM
How do you like the ukpk?  Im picking up a carbon fibre one!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:39:02 AM
:-\  i find this with certain slippie patterns but have got use to it, i might leave the wing split then

On trad slippies it's not a problem (for me), but on the Wings the blade sticks out so much further for the OHO. If you've ever tried using the can opener on a British Army Knife you'll know what I mean

Hey, you should look at the Boker Plus XS.

Its a sub 3 inch slippie, OHO, decent 440C SST and way cheaper than the spyderco.

Have heard only good about it. Its on Heinnies btw.
Cheers.

Cheers LooseNut, I'll check that out  :salute:

I recently handled the orange Urban, just didn't like the wharncliffe blade. I wound up going with the Ti UKPK, mostly because I like titanium. Aside from not liking the blade shape, the Urban was a great knife.

IMHO its impossible to beat Spyderco ergonomics...

I don't mind the wharncliffe style and carry wharncliffe and sheep/lambsfoot styles on trad slippies, but do prefer the look of the leaf on the Urban. Looks more of an all rounder and looks better with the handle shape IMO

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 11:45:45 AM
Im thinking of ordering one of these next for a legal uk edc as very happy with both my sanrenmu 710's and should have the l03-2 by the end of the week as just came in,

http://sanrenmu.com/en/foldingknives/product/50.php

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 07:23:46 PM
Spyderco are nice, but I can't believe how the price of a G10/S30V UKPK has rocketed up in this country. I got a UKPK a few years back at a much more attractive price.

The FRN UKPK looks quite attractive for the price (Heinnie's).
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 07:27:09 PM
No Urban users have come forward just yet - but it seems there's a few other options to bring to the mix. Here's what I can glean so far (from here and eslewhere)

Spyderco Urban: Perfect size - good grip/clip/OHO - not "scary" - expensive
Spyderco UKPK G10: A little large - good grip/clip/OHO - expensive
Spyderco UKPK FRN: A little large - good grip/clip/OHO - mid range cost - not as robust as G10
Boker Plus XS: Good grip/clip/OHO - good value - will have Granny doing 100m in under 10 seconds
Boker Trance 42: Good grip/clip/OHO - mid range costs - looks a little tactical (don't use flipper too publically)
Boker Subcom 42: Good grip/clip - tricky OHO - good value - NKP friendly - ugly little smurf
CRKT Edgie (Modified): Good grip/clip - tricky OHO - good value - needs modifying to stop self shrpening (prevent wire edge)
Byrd Wings: Good grip/clip/OHO - good value - not comfy - blades flex (prone to hit other blade/liner)

I've actually got a Wings and an Edgie. Edgie is MIA and needs modifying when found. Unless I have a sudden impulse in any direction, I think I'll give the Wings a try for a week of two to see if I can get used to it

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:21 PM
Some interesting discussion about the UKPK and the Urban here  :cheers:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15006.0.html

For me personally I would choose the UKPK over the Urban every time for its blade shape alone. I also don't think it is that much bigger; think it is about 1cm. As long it is legal who cares what size it is?

With regards to the Boker Plus XS there are 255 posts on it over at British Blades. There is much concern with the fact it may not as UK legal as first thought. The cutting edge is 3in but the length of the blade from pivot to tip is over 3in. Trying explaining that to PC Plod  :o I think the very tactical look of them doesn't help  :-\
Additionally shortly after Heinnie released them for sale an awful lot appeared on their Classifieds. Normally associated with 'not what I was after'  :-\
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?104583-Boker-Plus-XS-Heads-up!

I have been extremely lucky and have two G10 UKPK's; one in black and one in orange. I bought one here for a good price and got the other in a trade on BB. These are two that won't leave my 'collection'; they are everyday useful and nice & legal  :tu: Highly recommended  :tu:

Spyderco themselves have halved their price of G10 UKPK's; shame Heinnie haven't done the same  :-\ Although they do still have the KF4 Juice at £70  ::)
Probably not worth the risk of importing.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:00:25 PM
The Spyderco Squeak should be out some time over the summer.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:13 PM

I'd forgotten about the Squeak.  Cheers for the reminder. :tu:

http://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/spyderco-2011-prototype-%E2%80%93-squeak/
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 10:25:58 AM

I'd forgotten about the Squeak.  Cheers for the reminder. :tu:

http://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/spyderco-2011-prototype-%E2%80%93-squeak/

Me too. Now that will be handy as long the price isn't silly  ::)

Could always get it from the US but it will probably be seized as a gravity-flick-push dagger with added ninja stars  ::) :ahhh :twak:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 11:17:24 AM
Some interesting discussion about the UKPK and the Urban here  :cheers:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15006.0.html

For me personally I would choose the UKPK over the Urban every time for its blade shape alone. I also don't think it is that much bigger; think it is about 1cm. As long it is legal who cares what size it is?

With regards to the Boker Plus XS there are 255 posts on it over at British Blades. There is much concern with the fact it may not as UK legal as first thought. The cutting edge is 3in but the length of the blade from pivot to tip is over 3in. Trying explaining that to PC Plod  :o I think the very tactical look of them doesn't help  :-\
Additionally shortly after Heinnie released them for sale an awful lot appeared on their Classifieds. Normally associated with 'not what I was after'  :-\
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?104583-Boker-Plus-XS-Heads-up!

I have been extremely lucky and have two G10 UKPK's; one in black and one in orange. I bought one here for a good price and got the other in a trade on BB. These are two that won't leave my 'collection'; they are everyday useful and nice & legal  :tu: Highly recommended  :tu:

Spyderco themselves have halved their price of G10 UKPK's; shame Heinnie haven't done the same  :-\ Although they do still have the KF4 Juice at £70  ::)
Probably not worth the risk of importing.

Cheers mate - A LOT of good info there, but to be honest it just made me want a Boker Plus XS more  :D I probably would end up modding it though, and removing the coating - or at least adding it to the evergrowing list of thigs I want to mod when I finally get round to any of them  :P
 :rofl:

It also made me convinced the Urban is better for me than the UKPK. I take it you've been stung on the imports then? I've (so far) never had a problem - but that's probably just jinxed anything I get in future  :D

OOOHHH!!  New one on me! I agree that looks a nice little item - but the price probably WONT be nice and little  ::)

gb Offline rlocock

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 11:39:04 AM

Looks like a re-scaled Pride.Should not be too expensive?

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 11:42:56 AM

I take it you've been stung on the imports then? I've (so far) never had a problem - but that's probably just jinxed anything I get in future  :D

Been nailed on import taxes but never had anything seized :) Just read quite a few on British Blades that have had stuff seized stolen.
They are a law onto themselves; if there was a chance to losing it to them I wouldn't take the risk  :-\

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 12:07:25 PM

I take it you've been stung on the imports then? I've (so far) never had a problem - but that's probably just jinxed anything I get in future  :D

Been nailed on import taxes but never had anything seized :) Just read quite a few on British Blades that have had stuff seized stolen.
They are a law onto themselves; if there was a chance to losing it to them I wouldn't take the risk  :-\

Yeah, I've been hit with the duties and taxes before, but to be honest they don't bother me - it's the "admin/release fees" from the courier that smarts. So what happens when a package gets nabbed then? Are you given chance to educate these poor misguided souls that your purchase is not a ninja assasins toolbox - rather a health and safety requirement for sailing/backpacking/whatever, or is it just lost forever with no chance of recovering it?

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 06:08:34 PM
There is a really interesting thread in progress on BB. It has a copy of the actual letter they send out.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?124625-Spyderco-C101GP2-manix-2-g-10

The OP ordered the Spyderco Manix 2 and got the CRKT as a freebie.

They have classed the Manix 2 as Gravity Knife  :think:
Spyderco Manix 2

And the CRKT as a Flick Knife  :think:
CRKT M16-10KZ

Both are available to buy in the UK  ::)

It would appear that 'if you make a claim, legal proceedings in a Magistrates Court will be taken for condemnation of the items'  :-\

I wish someone would stand up to these bully boys but can understand why no one has. Who would risk it?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:10:17 PM by cerbera147 »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 07:08:54 PM

Looks like a re-scaled Pride.Should not be too expensive?

Looks similar, but with a flat ground rather than a sabre ground blade.  Interestingly enough, it's being made in Italy for Spyderco, probably the same company that did the Volpe.

As for cost, couldn't tell you.  The other Spyderco FRN Slippies have been relatively inexpensive, but this is in a premium blade steel (N690CO) rather than the Gin-1 of the FRN UKPKs.

Actually, if it's made by Fox Knives, like the Volpe, it ain't gonna be cheap.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:23 PM
There is a really interesting thread in progress on BB. It has a copy of the actual letter they send out.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?124625-Spyderco-C101GP2-manix-2-g-10

The OP ordered the Spyderco Manix 2 and got the CRKT as a freebie.

They have classed the Manix 2 as Gravity Knife  :think:
Spyderco Manix 2
(Image removed from quote.)

And the CRKT as a Flick Knife  :think:
CRKT M16-10KZ
(Image removed from quote.)

Both are available to buy in the UK  ::)

It would appear that 'if you make a claim, legal proceedings in a Magistrates Court will be taken for condemnation of the items'  :-\

I wish someone would stand up to these bully boys but can understand why no one has. Who would risk it?

OUCH!!! That stinks!  >:( >:( >:(

Depending on the costs involved I'd be tempted to "seek advice" before just bailing out. :think:

The bully boy tactics are probably there to minimise grief otherwise I'd imagine they'd be getting taken to court every two minutes. I've had similar heavy handed approaches from other organisations who have indeed backed down without going to court when convincing arguements have been put before them. I can understand others not thinking it's worth the hassle though.

Thanks for the info  :tu: :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 08:52:22 PM
It would be good if someone called their bluff and went to court  :salute:

However, I cannot imagine too many supporters within 'the system'  :-\ They'd probably settle than see it through  ::)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 06:42:19 PM
OK, update time ... 10 days now with the Byrd Wings Slipit, and I can't see me changing it anytime soon.  :tu:

I've got quite used to the ergos and have found it to be an excellent little knife. I'm glad I decided to run with it for a while as I wasn't convinced at first. It's not a super refined tool - the backsprings are quite gappy, the blades flex a bit if you don't get the technique right, and it's not the most comfortable tool in the world if you need to grip the handle tightly ... but I've got a good size plain edge blade AND a good size serrated in one compact tool and it's done everything I've asked of it. OK, I've not tried batoning through 4" of seasoned oak, but it's done all the usual apple cutting, pencil sharpening, package opening chores that you would expect from a pocket knife and I've not had to touch up the edge yet. I'd also much rather have this choice of two blades than any combo edge.

Bottom line: Don't feel the need to spend £100 on a UK legal knife just to get the benefit of a clip and OHO, or at least not unless you NEED a superior blade steel AND you've tried this little budget item first. I instantly hated it, but within 3 to 4 days I was actually enjoying it. For the record, I've not tried using this on a bus or in a park etc, but so far I've had no screams or stampedes from NKP's - but that might just be me  :angel:  :D :D :D

ca Offline gunga

Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 01:57:27 AM
Can someone let me know what a carbon fibre ukpk is worth?  May not keep mine, not sure I can get used to a non locking blade.

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:16 AM
Regular G10 UKPK's in new condition sell on UK forums for about £70 - £80.

I have seen Carbon Fibre one's sell for £100.

No idea what the price is like across the pond  :think:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 09:25:30 AM
Is that in Euros?  I keep forgetting the symbol...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%