Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are powerlocks that uncomfortable?

SoDak · 12 · 4361

Offline SoDak

Are powerlocks that uncomfortable?
on: October 24, 2006, 04:51:48 AM
It's time for a new tool (although I don't need it) and I figured it's high time I got a powerlock. The biggest thing holding me back is some people saying that the gear teeth make using the screwdrivers and such uncomfortable to use. Is it that bad or is it just a minor inconvenience?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Are powerlocks that uncomfortable?
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:18:55 AM
You take into consideration what the compound leverage actually does when you have to face down rusty nuts that laugh at you in defiance, the minor invconvience is just that...minor. The tool is actually big enough that you can really choke up on the tool so the gears are just past your pinkie. Hope this helps.

David Bowen

Offline colubrid

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 06:49:26 AM
I like the SOG powerlocks so much that I have two of them . I just customized one of them. Another nice thing about these is you can easily change the tools or add your own customized ones. SOG was nice enough to send me some free tools along with two wrenches which makes changing the tools a cinch.

The quality alone is worth having them. I rate them a very close #2 behind Victorinox. IMO LM falls way behind in #3.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:20:57 PM
There are pluses and minuses to any tool.  The PowerLock is definately a decent tool, and a must for any collector.  I doubt a company like SOG would be producing them for so long if they weren't good tools.

I have three of them myself, and I rarely, if ever notice the gears digging into my hands, at least no more or less than the squared corners of some other tools do.  The biggest drawbacks to the PL design in my book are that the tools are fairly small compared to other multis in it's class, the tools aren't as easily accessible (since you have to open the tool, open the little protective door, pull out the tool you want, replace all the other tools that came with it, close the cover then close the tool), and the scissor design is a little awkward as the opposite handle gets in the way unless you use them while the rest of the tool is hanging open.

But then I can pick out problems with every tool on the market, so I wouldn't let this discourage you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:10:44 PM
Def,

Don't forget though. The Powerlocks can be opened with one hand and don't stick like the other multitools. This smoooth operation makes opening the door more accessable IMO. Just a preferance thing I guess. I like mine the way it is but I agree the tools need to be larger and better quality.

I wish someone would attempt to put Victorinox tools into the Powerlock by customizing them so that they will fit....or do they even need customizing?

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:55:13 PM
lots of tools can be opened one handed and still don't have ten steps to take the tools out and use them
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 09:07:15 PM
do they even need customizing?

I would say they would need alot of work to fit into the SOG, if in fact they even would.  The pin size is different, the lock style is different... you might almost be better off starting with a new blade or screwdriver fashioned for the SOG rather than trying to mod an existing one.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:46:10 PM
I like the PowerLock. I have not used mine enough to say for sure if the gear teeth are a problem. I'm guessing the only time they could be an issue is if you are trying to push very hard on the awl while the tool is folded up. Doesn't seem like it would be that big of deal.

SOG's latest variation of the PowerLock is to add a "V-cutter." What the heck good is that?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 12:57:42 AM
Actually, it's not too bad.  You can see what Dave thought of it here:

http://multitool.org/content/view/47/64/

Def
Vcut.JPG
* Vcut.JPG (Filesize: 51.53 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 06:53:13 AM
When I first got a PowerLock I wasn't to sure about it. I thought the fold out handles were alittle strange.  But after using one for awhile I really started to like it.  Now it's one of my favorite of the bigger sized multitools. I haven't had any problems with the teeth when using it either. 
"

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 03:40:02 AM
The powerlock is really uncomfortable when you drop it on your foot
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 03:45:15 AM
It probably wouldn't have been so bad had you not tried to catch it with your foot to keep it from hitting the tile, but only ended up kicking it across the room and almost breaking a bone!

:P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%