Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is There An Adjustable Crescent Wrench Multi-Tool?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Is There An Adjustable Crescent Wrench Multi-Tool?
on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:07 AM
Carry a Leatherman Charge TTi a lot, yet not a "fan boy" as much as most think. The tools are great, yet we always have to modify them to get what we want or need - like an Awl.

As much as I like the Crunch, have to readjust it to remove or tighten a stubborn bolt is bad enough, more so when constantly slips of from either grease or lack of grip under force. Yet, a simple crescent wrench usually solves issues that I encounter. Haven't located the 4" crescent wench I used to have, yet. May end up buying another one unless someone here can be an  :angel:

Is there a multi-tool that has a crescent wrench on board, and preferably able to be purchased in the US... and has a decent warranty. Don't care even if it is a :gasp: Gerber, as long as it fit the need and doesn't weigh a lot.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Is There An Adjustable Crescent Wrench Multi-Tool?
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:10:16 AM
About the only ones I can think of are the Guppie and Lil Guppie, SpydeRench/ByrdRench and the Gerber Cool Tool, but that one is just about impossible to find nowadays.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:58:35 AM
About the only ones I can think of are the Guppie and Lil Guppie, SpydeRench/ByrdRench and the Gerber Cool Tool, but that one is just about impossible to find nowadays.

Def

Which one, if you happen to recall, had the highest MTO marks?  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:22:30 AM
Since you already carry a full sized multitool I can see the Guppie being the most effective.  Between it's smaller size, carabiner, flashlight and bit set it makes a great companion tool.  The SpydeRench is also a decent offering, but at $80-100 (or more) plus it's relative bulk I'm personally not a huge fan of it, especially not if you carry another tool as well.

The Cool Tool is also difficult to find in decent shape, is a bit bulky and awkward, but has perhaps the best wrench of the three.  Tragically the rest of the stuff attached to it means it's a bit of a paint to carry around, and honestly I'd rather carry around a small adjustable wrench than the Cool Tool.

So, bottom line, I'd go with the Guppie (larger model, not Lil Guppie unless you only deal with really small bolts) followed by a dedicated wrench, then the Spyder/Byrd, then the Cool Tool. But then, others may think differently.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:05 AM
Cresent wrench = shifting spanner right? Well thats what i call them here and i think we are talking about the same thing or do you mean a pipe wrench/spanner or Stillson wrench/spanner?

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:54:20 AM
I always EDC a small adjustable wrench for exactly the reasons you describe. There is no better companion to a pliers multi that I have found (well, except for a light).

I would love to see someone like Vic or LM do a true companion tool based on an adjustable wrench. But I suspect it would wind up just adding complication to a simple solution. The 6" Craftsman wrenches I carry are simple, small, cheap, and fit in a sheath (the maglite mini sheath is perfect).

They are available in plain steel or black oxide coated, so you can get a match for your multi. Which is a must for us, right? I have one of each.

Here is the 4":

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00904450000P
G

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:01 AM
Cattleman cutlery tool may be a good choice. Very similar to spyderench but lighter. Loggerhead tools may be too large but are worth googling,
I prefer my bulit wrench multi tool with pocket clip.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:25 AM
There are cheap chinese models all over ebay, such as this typical example. Of course you get what you pay for. While this basic design has been around for decades, neither Leatherman, SOG or Gerber have made a version. (They seriously need to correct this!)
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:43:47 PM
Since you already carry a full sized multitool I can see the Guppie being the most effective.  Between it's smaller size, carabiner, flashlight and bit set it makes a great companion tool.

So, bottom line, I'd go with the Guppie (larger model, not Lil Guppie unless you only deal with really small bolts) followed by a dedicated wrench, then the Spyder/Byrd, then the Cool Tool. But then, others may think differently.

Def

Thank You.  :2tu:

I prefer my bulit wrench multi tool with pocket clip.

Which is yours? :pok: Picture, link?
¬ Outback in Idaho

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 07:09:50 PM
I carry around this little 4" Bahco shifter in my EDC organiser;

great little companion to a pliers based MT.  I will say though that I use pliers far more often than the shifter though, so if I had to pick one or the other it would be a pliers based tool every time. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 07:12:08 PM
Also just remembered this thread that came up not long ago.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,27127.msg479237.html#msg479237

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 05:56:45 AM
Sorry, didn't know there was a topic up already. Have been a bit busy with fixing this and that, and more popping up, it was a posting out of frustration/necessity.  :rant:
¬ Outback in Idaho

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 03:18:49 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

great little companion to a pliers based MT.  I will say though that I use pliers far more often than the shifter though, so if I had to pick one or the other it would be a pliers based tool every time. :)

I always carry a Spirit or a TTi but I also have these 4" tools in my car's glove compartment.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:32 PM
Love those little vice grips. :D

Sorry, didn't know there was a topic up already. Have been a bit busy with fixing this and that, and more popping up, it was a posting out of frustration/necessity.  :rant:
No need to be sorry at all mate, I just brought it up so as you could see the titanium shifter in the other thread. :cheers:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:06 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:40:35 PM
Love those little vice grips. :D

No need to be sorry at all mate, I just brought it up so as you could see the titanium shifter in the other thread. :cheers:

Was an interesting tool, till I saw the price tag.  :faint:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:53:55 PM
Interesting... did another Google search to get ideas and opinions and on the very first page, 5th listing down, MULTITOOL.ORG!

Guppy is said to have a lot of wobble, from the Amazon store review. Maybe the best hasn't been invented? :shrug: Seen a lot of different types out there, even in knife-form from candle-forums.

If a company was listening they could get an edge up on a very limited competition. Seems the best tool is a 4" to 6" wrench. Half an inch opening isn't very good; 5/8" would be the recommended least span of the jaws.

Leatherman's Crunch, which doesn't hold up under too much pressure, spans a full 1 inch. If they only had an adjustable long-neck reach tool that would even be a feasibly compact design.

Life the one on the left, as a similar "long necked" idea.

Linked from: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/515139-crescent-wrench-knife
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:07:32 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 02:21:35 AM
Interesting... did another Google search to get ideas and opinions and on the very first page, 5th listing down, MULTITOOL.ORG!

Well most of my google searches lead me either here or to edcf, might be my search criteria though  :think:

That small one on the left looks really cool though. Does anyone know who makes/made it?

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:43 AM
Is this what you had in mind?

Looks kinda cool, but its a Chinese POS.
Tick Magnet

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 05:12:11 PM
It does seem like an adjustable-wrench multitool from the major manufacturers is long overdue. I wonder why Leatherman or SOG haven't done one yet? :think: The Gerber Cool Tool that Grant mentioned earlier was pretty much a bicycle-specific tool. The wrench head was very well made, but the rest of the functions weren't very useful. :-\ Seems like Gerber could have kept that same wrench head and added some different features or folding blades to the handle section.

There are a gob of different made-in-China multi-wrenches out there, but most are pretty crappy. :-\ Many of them use a similar stye of construction, where the wrench head is attached to the handle by two cross rivets:

..which makes me wonder if ALL the wrench heads come from one Chinese manufacturer, who then sells them to other Chinese companies that make the rest of the multitool? :think: In any case though, these tools are mostly junk. :P

What we need is a top quality wrench multitool. :salute: Hear that Leatherman? SOG? Multitasker? :pok: :pok:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline HaChayalBoded

Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 10:08:48 PM

I always carry a Spirit or a TTi but I also have these 4" tools in my car's glove compartment.

Where did you get the little vice grip? Is is a name brand tool or one that will break easily? Any idea what the jaws open up to? As well as the 4" crescent wrench?

To the OP, my favorite crescent wrench is the Craftsman beak jaw wrench. Extra long reach, the 6" model opens to around 1.25" which is pretty substantial for something it's size. Feel free to hacksaw an inch from the handle if you want it even smaller.

Offline HaChayalBoded

Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 10:13:03 PM

Leatherman's Crunch, which doesn't hold up under too much pressure, spans a full 1 inch. If they only had an adjustable long-neck reach tool that would even be a feasibly compact design.

I must disagree. I've used the crunch on numerous occasions to remove the rear axle on many motorcycles. some of them were overtorqued to at least 100ft lbs. I clamped on the crunch, stepped on it and out came the axle nuts.

I've even used the crunch to replace a busted shift lever, clutch lever and brake lever on numerous occasions.

I've used it to take down an old wire fence which used thick 1\4" chain links. Cut right through without a hitch.

Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:33 PM

I must disagree. I've used the crunch on numerous occasions to remove the rear axle on many motorcycles. some of them were overtorqued to at least 100ft lbs. I clamped on the crunch, stepped on it and out came the axle nuts.

I've even used the crunch to replace a busted shift lever, clutch lever and brake lever on numerous occasions.

I've used it to take down an old wire fence which used thick 1\4" chain links. Cut right through without a hitch.

I should of clarified the comment. When clamping down on a bolt or nut from the nose portion is slips a lot. My former Crunch was used a lot and the grip just wasn't as good. Still, just about every time the jaws are undone to grab again, one has to put the plier head back onto the adjuster/holder.
Getting the plier head around a nut/bolt in the center is ideal, but for me am finding that a crescent wrench gets the job done must easier and no readjusting the tool to make it work.

Like my Crunch, but in instances where I need a need a tight grip and not much room to work the Charge/Surge/Wave slips off, Crunch can clip and in the process mar the nut/bolt. Now if one can wrap the pliers around the nut/bolt, then it's all in one's grip strength.
Cannot flex the pliers under pressure for fear of breaking said Leatherman pliers. A crescent wrench can be flexed, moved up and down, and doesn't need constant adjustment when using the tool - or shouldn't have to.

Wished a more prominent manufacturer has a reliable crescent wrench, even if it folded out of the tool similar to the Crunch's head does. A Leatherman tool like the Crunch could easily be adapted (design wise) to a Crescent wrench head. Maybe the second piece that snaps into the jaw would in turn snap into the jaw and alongside the other handle at the same time! That would give support and give the tool more compactness.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 05:49:15 AM
I think Leatherman could make a tool with a Crescent wrench head and a handle from a Supertool 300 with a blade, file, large flathead, their flattened bitdriver and their combo tool, it just needs a catchy Leatherman name. It doesn't even need to fold.

Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:02 PM
John Blanchard posted a couple of interesting graphical prototypes. Myself, I lack that artistic talent to get my point across. Seems though the pictures got buried rather fast ... and no feedback from Leatherman at all - which was even more strange.  :cry:

Crunch Convertable

new tool....cant think of a name though....any ideas?

Posted with permission:
John Blanchard April 26 at 1:43pm Report
If you want to post it to MTO no worries be my guest

John Blanchard April 26 at 2:07pm Report
I dont want fame .....but I will take a first off your idea my design we should get at least one of each Leathermans tools....lol

And for my horrible graphical version...

Leatherman Paw
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 04:40:24 AM
John's pictures/ideas look promising  8) 8) 8).
Leatherman  :pok: :pok: :pok: :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:12 PM
John's pictures/ideas look promising  8) 8) 8).
Leatherman  :pok: :pok: :pok: :D :D :D

From what I gathered, Leatherman may think the wrench idea would not sell to the public well. Seems the Crunch's sales aren't the best, so taking on a project like this could fall into that same rut.

However... these is a strong desire (online) for an adjustable wrench, from a reputable manufacturer. Had always thought of Leatherman as the leader of the multitool pack. Perhaps times are rough for the multitool giant to take a chance without some sort of apple to hang out in front? :apple:
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 01:57:47 PM
Grabatool?  Literally "Grab-A-Tool?"  Kind of like Skeletool, only with a grabbing implement at the end?

Sorry, I had a long day yesterday and the effects haven't worn off.... :P

Def

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:58 PM
Skeletool W.
Maybe Leatherman has a certain type of tool they want to produce and wrenches don't really fit. If so it'd be hard to convince them to try it. I think it'll take another producer (probably new to the scene) to come up with a wrench based tool and make it their own.

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 07:21:13 PM
If Multitasker wasn't already so busy I'd ask them....but I'd rather not wait three years at the moment.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%