Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is There An Adjustable Crescent Wrench Multi-Tool?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Is There An Adjustable Crescent Wrench Multi-Tool?
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:30 AM
Saw this thing, and looked for an MTO review. Either I am blind (comes with getting older) or there is no review?
Way too expensive for me, and out of my price range!

Wrex - Titanium Adjustable Pocket Wrench - $179 US

http://pockettoolx.com/products/wrex
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 07:48:05 PM
The Wrex was already mentioned in this thread...

Also just remembered this thread that came up not long ago.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,27127.msg479237.html#msg479237

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 07:53:24 PM
I don't have a Wrex to review, and no one who has one has written a review, which is why there's none on the Main Site.  Unfortunately not all manufacturers have realized just how important we really are yet!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:31 PM
I don't have a Wrex to review, and no one who has one has written a review, which is why there's none on the Main Site.  Unfortunately not all manufacturers have realized just how important we really are yet!  :P

Had mentioned the fact that I come here for a reliable review before buying any new multitools. That's where I found a link of the Piranha X breaking. Mentioned that on PocketToolX's facebook page.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:48:48 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 10:09:26 PM
Yeah, we try to get as many as possible covered, but there are limits to our funding and abilities.  Not many mind you, but they are there!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline choombak

Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 07:37:11 AM
Since you already carry a full sized multitool I can see the Guppie being the most effective.  Between it's smaller size, carabiner, flashlight and bit set it makes a great companion tool.  The SpydeRench is also a decent offering, but at $80-100 (or more) plus it's relative bulk I'm personally not a huge fan of it, especially not if you carry another tool as well.

I have started EDC'ing a Byrdwrench, and find it not so bulky when clipped to pocket. Also, it is available for ~$55 US from poorfish outdoors with the present 20% discount they are offering. Best tool with a wrench I've handled.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:38 AM
A nice thing about the Byrdwrench is that the "wrench" jaws open up wider than other wrench tools its size, like the Guppie or even a 4" crescent wrench. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline mzil

Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 08:16:58 AM
There is of course no perfect tool that does it all, however for minimum weight/bulk but maximum utility, instead of carrying an adjustable crescent wrench, slip jaw pliers, and a traditional pair of vise grips, I instead carry  6"  Irwin groove lock pliers, GV6,  in my Maxped EDC pocket organizer. The baby size still has a tremendous jaw adjustability range which outclasses any of the others. For added use I carry a Velcro wrap-around strap which can be used to hold the pliers' handles tightly shut without my hand being present, if need be, much like a locking pair of vise grips would [not as strongly though, but enough for many situations].

[Please excuse the commercial ad  :-[, but it was the only video I could find that showed the jaw adjustability and many optional types]

The GV6 just fits my EDC bag perfectly and a little trick I discovered on it is if you click it open one notch, or so, from the smallest size you can actually compress the two handles together more tightly for a slimmer storage profile, which fits the smaller elastic bands of my EDC bag better:

Between it and my Leatherman's needle nose and a PocketWrench II, I have most of my bases covered.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:48:00 AM by mzil »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 09:57:25 AM
That looks like a neat solution mzil. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 05:47:22 PM
I got one of those for my Dad for Christmas a couple years back. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of it. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:53 AM
  Seems I run into situations where a 3/8" open end wrench is needed, but with metric parts sometimes needs to be a tad bigger. Problem with the PTX/Leatherman Piranha is a lot of times these nuts & bolts are on battery terminals and the 3/8" wrench is right smack in the middle. So a long tool means it won't work.

Seems nothing can beat an EDC type of adjustable wrench, yet there really is no EDCable option that can span up to a 1" maximum setting without it being an 8" wrench. Be cool of there was an adjustable wrench that could be placed into one's palm - with a attached (if necessary) for more grip, or extendable lever & notch for more torque.
  Should not need a long handle all the time. Only needs something that can be used with the fingers, compact enough, and easily EDCable.

Even a credit card sized tool with a slider along the side. Insert you fingers inside, cover with palm, and rotate the wrist to work the tool. Not seen anything like it. Attaching a very rough idea (drawing). Could actually not be more than just 2 fingers wide, but is the jest of the idea.
hand_wrench.jpg
* hand_wrench.jpg (Filesize: 26.45 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 11:48:16 AM
Interesting idea Jim- add in a bottle opener and you've really got something!  :D

Def

Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:00 PM
  Thanks boss, was just an idea. Of course if it had smaller teeth, and a push button release, it could be slid & adjusted faster. Was an after thought. Or a tension brace that clamps on a sliding rail and needs no teeth. Ideas, ideas.   :D :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 10:25:34 PM
About the only ones I can think of are the Guppie and Lil Guppie, SpydeRench/ByrdRench and the Gerber Cool Tool, but that one is just about impossible to find nowadays.

Def

Forgot about this post and found accidentally after making another. As per the SpydeRench/ByrdRench, Armory Express Outlet claims to have one in stock for $110. Bit too pricey for me. Did they work well?
¬ Outback in Idaho

fi Offline temo

Reply #44 on: July 28, 2016, 10:57:19 PM
Cheaper models also seen example true utility hand span (wrench and bit driver). Net pic

Reply #45 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:37 PM
Cheaper models also seen example true utility hand span (wrench and bit driver). Net pic

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting... thanks!

HandSpan - Key Ring Accessory

¬ Outback in Idaho

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #46 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:41 PM
This might be the only reasonably priced option today...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 12:07:21 AM
Please actualize your data base:  :whistle:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 03:04:58 AM
The Myth seems like it might be a good adjustable-wrench multitool....... :)

.....until you actually handle it for the first time that is. :-\ For one thing, it's way too fat. The handle is almost three times the thickness of the wrench. Bleh. :P

And the ridiculously small adjustment wheel; what idiot designed this thing?? It is actually recessed slightly from the face of the wrench, making it almost impossible to move with wet or cold fingers, or when the wrench jaw gets sticky from use.  :bnghd:

I imagine the hex wrenches in the handle could easily be replaced with a knife, file, saw blade or whatever. But given how poorly designed the wrench is, I don't know why anyone would bother.

Bob

Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 05:01:12 AM
  So no one at MTO has tried to actually modify one to something more real world usable?

It looks interesting minus all them allen wrenches. Could think of a lot more tools to have in place of those, like a saw to cut branches with, a tanto-tipped knife, magnifying glass, double-sided awl like in Leatherman's Vista. Gawd I should of kept mine for the awl alone... gave it to a farmer friend of mine for pruning his grapes and vine fruits.

If I only had access to a small shop and had the skills of modifying tools.  :rant:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:10:38 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #50 on: July 29, 2016, 08:48:43 AM
There's three of these spanner/adjustable wrench threads going around at the moment  :ahhh

Reply #51 on: July 29, 2016, 09:36:05 AM
  3? I only knew of 2, one of which was one of mine I had started ages ago and found it doing a Google search. A Moderator could merge them.  :)  Which is the 3rd post?
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #52 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53:00 AM

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #53 on: July 29, 2016, 10:15:43 AM
The Myth seems like it might be a good adjustable-wrench multitool....... :)

.....until you actually handle it for the first time that is. :-\ For one thing, it's way too fat. The handle is almost three times the thickness of the wrench. Bleh. :P

And the ridiculously small adjustment wheel; what idiot designed this thing?? It is actually recessed slightly from the face of the wrench, making it almost impossible to move with wet or cold fingers, or when the wrench jaw gets sticky from use.  :bnghd:

I imagine the hex wrenches in the handle could easily be replaced with a knife, file, saw blade or whatever. But given how poorly designed the wrench is, I don't know why anyone would bother.

Bob

That, then, seems to give you something similar to the Spyderench.
I used to come here a lot.

Reply #54 on: July 29, 2016, 11:33:36 AM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67617.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,44519.30.html

You should know, you're the one that's posting in all of them...   :pok:

That second one wasn't mine, only replied to it. :think:
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: July 31, 2016, 05:31:59 PM

I dunno Dave.....with the Spyderench I at least felt like I had something that was intelligently designed, albeit a little over the top in terms of the gadgetry factor.  The Myth though, which should have been a far simpler design job, was just totally botched IMO. :P

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: July 31, 2016, 06:33:44 PM

I dunno Dave.....with the Spyderench I at least felt like I had something that was intelligently designed, albeit a little over the top in terms of the gadgetry factor.  The Myth though, which should have been a far simpler design job, was just totally botched IMO. :P

Sorry bob I wasn't clear. I meant something similar in terms of the max nut size it could handle.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: July 31, 2016, 07:54:34 PM

Sorry bob I wasn't clear. I meant something similar in terms of the max nut size it could handle.

Ah, right-o then. :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 31, 2016, 08:46:38 PM
That Myth does make you wonder what they were really doing during the R&D phase doesn't it? :D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #59 on: July 31, 2016, 09:14:51 PM
I long time ago I was looking for a 4 inch size cresent to carry around with my MT but didn't have any luck finding one so I just went with a 6 inch Craftsman one. 

Now i see that Craftsman makes another model called "evolv" that carries their lifetime warranty but is made in China.  Weird and I didn't know that as I haven't bought any of them in a long time!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%