Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Camcorder

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Camcorder
on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:47 AM
I just ordered a new camcorder, the Panasonic SDR-S10 rugged camera.  It apparently stinks for still pictures, but I have two digital still cameras so I'm not worried about it.  From most of the reviews I have read the image quality is also not the best, but I am more interested in the shock and water resistance since I plan to use it outdoors.  No matter how bad the picture is, I'll bet it's better than the ones I can take with my regular camera in the rain!

Seriously, it looks like a decent camera, especially for the price.  There are a few rugged cameras on the market, but like anything that's ruggedized, there's always a trade off.  Panasonic is a good name, and I am certain that the complaints about video quality are from a more discerning eye than mine. 

I'll get it and try it out, and worst comes to worst, it'll go right back if it's that bad.  Anyone have any experience with this one?  It's supposed to be about the size of a PDA.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: New Camcorder
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:45:06 AM
My house mate has one of them, and i've used it a couple of times, i wasn't that impressed with it to be honest. The stills are rubbish (640x480 unless there's a setting somewhere, but i couldn't find it) The video is not great, its not bad, for youtube videos its more than good enough, but i wouldn't use it to film an important occasion. As for it being rugged, well it doesn't feel it, but i've no idea how it stands up to abuse.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:35:35 PM
I'm not worried about still pics- I have two cameras for stills so that's covered.

I still do the odd bit of investigation work and I think it'll come in handy for that- 10X optical zoom and indestructibility are the really important features.  Panasonic is famous for rugged devices like the ToughBook so if they say it's rugged, I'm inclined to believe them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:18:57 PM
By the way, just for the record, a three foot drop into a parking lot is why I don't have my old digital video camera anymore....  :oops:

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:14:15 PM
Looks pretty decent.  Let us know how Def proof you think it is when you get it.  :D
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:07:00 AM
I'm planning to strap it to the front of my kayak next year... if it lives that long! :D

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:42:37 AM
The Yak-cam sounds like a neat idea.....

....even better would be the Chinook-cam.  ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:15:35 AM
Then it'll get busted for sure!

Plus you won't see much since the fluff will get in the way! :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:18:34 PM
Well it's here, and I've been playing with it for a little while now.  I like it.  I am having some trouble transferring the widescreen footage in such a way that Adobe Premier doesn't try to squish it into standard, but I'll figure it out eventually.  I just need more time to play!

The video quality isn't as bad as I was expecting from the reviews I'd read.  It may not be the best quality, but it'll work better than any of my other cameras in the rain, snow or shower scenes...   :oops:

Def

* Camera.JPG (Filesize: 28.44 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%