Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking at MRE's

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Looking at MRE's
on: November 14, 2007, 02:57:13 PM
In preparation for next year's big kayak/camping trip, I am looking at various MRE's and similar type products.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to brands, types etc?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Looking at MRE's
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 04:48:24 PM
Are you going to be able to boil water while on your trip?  If so, I would suggest either the Mountain House or Alpine Aire brand stuff.  It's a little pricey, but tastes a hell of a lot better than a MRE :)

MRE wise, I've ordered them from a couple different places and food-wise they're about the same.  I would suggest getting the Deluxe MRE's... or at least make sure you get the MRE heaters.

Saratoga Trading Company

MRE Star

Major Surplus n Survival

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:24:31 PM by 665ae »
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:56 PM
Sounds like you will be out for a while.  Where do you plan to kayak to?  Anyway, MRE's are pretty good survival food.  You can actually use one MRE (the government ones) to feed you all day if you are planning on slimming down the amount of gear that you want to carry.  I had a friend that is a US Marine and he told me that some MRE's are downright awful while some are not so bad.  He did not go into detail as to which ones were good.  I used to carry them on camping trips and I cannot remember which ones I had.  I do not recall them being overly tasty.  I do like the freeze dried stuff that you get at camping stores though.  Backpackers Pantry, and Mountain House meals are all pretty good.  All you have to do is add boiling water to most of them and you got a hot meal that is pretty balanced with Carbs, Protein, and Vegetables.  My personal favorite is the Pad Thai entree it is definately worth a shot.  The beef stew is great too.      

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:21:18 PM
I am figuring 3-4 days worth.  There's a canal system that stretches the width of my province and I was thinking about starting at the opposite end and making my way home.  I live about 1/2 mile from this end, and you really can't go any further if you wanted to.

I have a 17 foot touring kayak and so space/weight are a concern, but not a real big one.  I have lots of interior and exterior storage space and the 'yak is rated for 400lbs, and I only take up half that.

Ordinarily I munch on granola or jerky most of the day then have a good hearty meal when I break camp in the evenings.  I will be able to boil water, so boil in the bags are fine as well.  I want to start trying different brands/types now so when I head out in the spring I won't be taking any that are awful!  I also like to have these kinds of things around the house for emergencies and spur of the moment outings, so I'd like to start stocking up a bit.

We used to get surplus Canadian military field rations when I was a kid, and some of those weren't half bad.  It's been a lot of years since I last had field rations though, so I thought I'd see what was new!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:41:52 PM
You may want to try www.theepicenter.com.  They seem to have a vast selection of MRE's available in 12 pack cases if you want to try a few before you take them into the field. 

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:11:40 PM
I got a free case of MREs recently from a Marine buddy of mine...

The ones I got from him have all been really pretty good.  I remember him saying that they were a certain designation--they were some of the newest flavors and better than they had been in the past.  I can't remember how they were designated right now, but I'll try to remember to check the outside of the case when I get home to figure it out.
- Terry

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:41:21 PM
When I served I actually loved the MRE. They are the greatest thing since sliced bread adn the best part is they are also designed to be eaten cold. However Cheaper than dirt has them for about 52 bucks a case and heaters are extra, but well worth getting. (by the way never put bleach into a heater instead ow water :D)

If you decide on mre my sugg. is also get a water filter. Not the cardboard filter kind but the ceramic ones from MSR they never mold and will go about 10,000 gal, before a new elemnt is needed.(By the way I know someone that Has one of these also :pok:)

By the way the Penut butter will bind you up for days if you eat 4 packs of it a day!!!!
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02:15 AM
Funny you should mention the peanut butter- Mikey and I were discussing it this afternoon on MSN and I mentioned that the best part of the old Canadian field rations was the tube of peanut butter that looked exactly like a tube of Preperation H!

I can get a few different kinds of commercial MRE type food products locally from a company called Mountain Equipment Co Op (www.mec.ca) and I think I may pick up a few different varieties each week and see what I like before I have to rely on them.  I have a few months to go before I'm in a position to take the trip as I hate cold weather!

As for cooking, I'd planned to get a small Coleman stove and rely on that and/or an open fire.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 01:29:16 AM
Wow, I was just thinking of getting some MREs (or is it MsRE? :pok:) for the cold/snowy/icy days I don't want to leave work for lunch.  Right now I've been doing the Maruchan Instant Lunch noodles in such cases, but MREs are a full meal!

I've never had/cooked one...do you just put the bag in a pot of boiling water?  I've seen some lots on ebay I almost bought, but I might pick up a half dozen or so at the Army surplus store next time I'm there just to try them.

I remember reading on another board that the MRE omlete is sometimes referred to as a VOMelet :ahhh  I doubt I'd enjoy any kind of pasta MRE since I take my pasta very seriously as odd as that sounds :D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:06 AM
MRE= Meals Rejected by the Enemy   :D

Some you put in a pot of boiling water and some are self heating.  I'm not certain how it works, but I think it's a small chemical pad like the kind you put in your mitts on a cold day.  I've never tried one like that though so I can't comment on their usefulness.  If we lived closer I'd suggest we each get a case of them and we could swap some back and forth!

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 01:35:38 AM
Corr. you can use a heater or put the package whole in boiling water for 5 mins then open.

By the way since you are in Rhode island. Ocen state Job lot allways has the entres there. Usually they are 2 for a buck in Woonsockett. :ahhh  
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 01:37:46 AM
I stand corrected... again! :P

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 01:40:21 AM
Corr. you can use a heater or put the package whole in boiling water for 5 mins then open.

By the way since you are in Rhode island. Ocen state Job lot allways has the entres there. Usually they are 2 for a buck in Woonsockett. :ahhh  

Job Lot...I never really looked at the food there (usually run in and out looking for some odd tool I need for one job).  I work about 10 minutes away from the one in Providence, and I'm close to the one in Lincoln...maybe I'll check it out.  Are they actual US issue?  What does an entree include?
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 01:44:13 AM
The heaters are sweet. about 3 oz of water and just seal in the meal for 10 mins. and it is piping hot! As for the entres usually it is the rice and beans, spaghetti, Pork chop or beef stew. It is not the entire meal just a simple pack. However they are mil issue, and up to date on the experation.

Jeez you work only about 5 mins then from my house. And the fav. Rest. Wrights Chicken farm. I got to go at least once a month.   
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 02:08:56 AM
I smell a Patented Multitool.org Field Trip! :P

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:06 AM
The heaters are sweet. about 3 oz of water and just seal in the meal for 10 mins. and it is piping hot! As for the entres usually it is the rice and beans, spaghetti, Pork chop or beef stew. It is not the entire meal just a simple pack. However they are mil issue, and up to date on the experation.

Jeez you work only about 5 mins then from my house. And the fav. Rest. Wrights Chicken farm. I got to go at least once a month.   

It's either the Job Lot in Pawtucket or Providence...it's right on the line.  I've been to Wrights a few times when I was a kid but don't know where it is...what city is it in?  I want to say Warwick...

I found this site...tons of info on MREs
www.mreinfo.com

None of the civilian MREs have Tobasco sauce in them >:(  But from what I've read, the civvie ones have less salt, and are legal to buy!  Another thing I read was that the mil issue ones are illegal for sale to civilians, but the civilian versions are made by the same companies.
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 08:00:32 AM
None of the civilian MREs have Tobasco sauce in them >:(  But from what I've read, the civvie ones have less salt, and are legal to buy!  Another thing I read was that the mil issue ones are illegal for sale to civilians, but the civilian versions are made by the same companies.

If you're going to eat an MRE, don't look at its nutritional values :)  I've read the same stuff about mil issue MRE's being illegal for sale to civilians...

Hey Def... any idea what Coleman stove you're gonna get?  I've got an older Coleman Peak 1 that I absolutely love!  I may be able to snag another one for about $10 if you're interested... no guarantees though... 

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 01:07:51 PM
That's a great little doodad- I had one of those a few years ago and they are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.  I was thinking of going with a full camp stove like this one:

It seems these days we are hit with a decent storm at least once a year that knocks power out for a day or two and I'd like to have something more substantial for around the house.  As I said, weight isn't a huge concern because I am personally not carrying anything- it's all on the kayak, and I have a set of wheels for it when portaging, so even when the boat isn't in the water I won't be carrying it!

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 09:19:39 PM
Right now I've been doing the Maruchan Instant Lunch noodles in such cases, but MREs are a full meal!

I doubt I'd enjoy any kind of pasta MRE since I take my pasta very seriously as odd as that sounds :D

I would imagine that most people who take their pasta seriously eat Maruchan Instant Lunch noodles.

::)  :D
- Terry

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 10:09:58 PM

It's either the Job Lot in Pawtucket or Providence...it's right on the line.  I've been to Wrights a few times when I was a kid but don't know where it is...what city is it in?  I want to say Warwick...

I found this site...tons of info on MREs
www.mreinfo.com

Wrights Is in Smithfield
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 04:43:53 AM
Right now I've been doing the Maruchan Instant Lunch noodles in such cases, but MREs are a full meal!

I doubt I'd enjoy any kind of pasta MRE since I take my pasta very seriously as odd as that sounds :D

I would imagine that most people who take their pasta seriously eat Maruchan Instant Lunch noodles.

::)  :D

ahh, but those Maruchan noodles aren't pasta...I think they are a kind of egg noodle. :pok:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 09:33:18 AM
Well I bought a few Mountain House brand freeze dried entrees this week but I haven't tried one until tonight.  I am eating Beef Stroganoff right now and while it's not the greatest beef stroganoff I have had, it's more than edible.  It's quite good actually.  I will try the Beef Stew next.  I stuck with the beef flavors mostly because I like beef...

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 01:36:47 PM
mmmm beef stroganoff. :drool:
I'm back!!

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 03:49:29 PM
i normally take some rice, dryed pasta , and polenta (which is corn flour) with some dehydrated sauce, also dryed sausage and hard cheese are good options, i would take some smaller stove, just in case you want to have a small walk or something.

i normally take some kind of premade meals, knorr mades some good rice recipes and pasta with tomato sauce. also another great option is dryed smashed potatos.

have fun
Esteban

Offline toytoy

Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 05:54:39 PM
The http://www.theepicenter.com/ is a nice business if you live on the west coast of the U.S.  If you're living elsewhere, shipping rates may be too expensive.  After all, MREs are heavy.

In 2002, I ordered a small box of MRE entrees from them for my pretty civilized trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  I booked a hotel room in Las Vegas and told them that I will receive a box of food.  Then I asked theepicenter to ship the foods to the hotel.  I tipped the hotel guys and got my box of MREs.  I was sorry because I spent the next good day eating these novelty food in my room rather than going to the food courts to enjoy real foods.   It was fun.  I experimented with all kinds of heating: using a light bulb; using the hot water; using the car's engine or rooftop.  It was tooooooo much fun to play with these food pouches.

I only ordered entrees because I could buy junk food anywhere.  Except for some cheap supermarket multi-grain breads, I only had a salad and a multi-vitamin pill to make up my daily suggested intake of greens.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:19:28 PM by toytoy »

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 07:27:21 AM
I believe Defender is on the East coast of Canada.

I had an MRE a couple of months back. It was pork, I believe. It was small, but filling. It also came with coffee mix, strawberry apple-sauce, an oatmeal (no raisins) cookie, and a powder to mix with water to make an orange drink. I'm pretty sure it came with something else, but I can't remember. Oh! as I was typing that, I remembered the crackers. I'm pretty sure that's it.

I had that to experiment one night, and it wasn't too bad.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 02:09:45 PM
Yup- east coast of Canada.

I still haven't tried the beef stew one yet, but these are also portioned for two people and I am trying to limit my overeating.  I'll probably experiment with microwaving some of it, even though I won't be taking a microwave when I go camping!

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 08:28:02 PM
One thing I've noticed eating MRE's and I think they use sulpher or something as a preservative.  They tend to give you a lot of gas or me anyway. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 08:30:27 PM
That's how you turn a kayak into a power boat!

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 08:31:06 PM
One thing I've noticed eating MRE's and I think they use sulpher or something as a preservative.  They tend to give you a lot of gas or me anyway. 

Surely that's a hidden bonus?! :D
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24