Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What a tool!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
What a tool!
on: April 24, 2011, 12:33:27 AM
As a Leatherman newb I gotta say it just keeps getting better. My first one, a PS4, has proven to be extremely useful over the nearly a year I've carried it on my keys. Then a KF4 impressed me with its tool power and pocketable size. But I got this baby in the beginning of last week and frankly it impresses the hell out of me.

While I hate the term steel snob I must admit to being pretty conscious of the steel used in my knives. Since I spent the time it takes to become a very effective and efficient free hand sharpener I can live with SAK steel or Leatherman 420HC just fine but if given a choice I will always choose a harder and more wear resistant steel. The blade on the Charge came extremely sharp but a little toothier than I prefer so I refined it a bit with a DMT extra extra fine pocket hone.  I then proceeded to cut up about 12 feet of dirty cardboard and the blade was still hair popping sharp. Nice! Later I refined the edge even more, to the point that it would split a free hanging hair lengthwise and did some more cutting on plastic and cardboard with excellent results. The steel reminds me a bit of D2 but doesn't seem to get as toothy an edge with wear. All around I'm very happy with it.

The knife itself was a surprise as well. A nice, thin, functional design with a point that pierces thick material with ease. The one hand opening is very easy and smooth and while not as simple for a lefty is still reasonably easy. 

While I can't recall ever using a cutting hook, I've played around with the one on the back of the serrated blade and found that it offers some very unique and useful cutting options. I'm diggin' it  :tu:

It came with a very nice leather sheath that accommodates the bit kit it came with as well as the removable pocket clip. Now I'm not a big clip guy, primarily due to the laws here in New York City that forbid openly wearing an edged tool, even if just clipped inside your pocket, so I usually remove all clips from my knives and tools. But the easily removed and attached clip is fantastic for when I'm working on hardware in the office or on a job on private property, or outside of the city in more knife friendly environs.  Even though it's an 8.3 ounce beast it is very comfortable to wear clipped to a pocket.  My only gripe is that the file cannot be opened when the clip is attached. A bit of a WTF that I may attempt to rectify. 

I went out of my way to look for tasks to use it for at work this week, one of which was scavenging through some old computers before we threw them out. The pliers, wire cutters and bits handled all the tasks easily and efficiently.

I love having this thing around, it will definitely see lots of use  :tu:

Just need to get the 42 bit kit  :)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: What a tool!
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:11:51 AM
Nice score

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:16:26 AM
Glad you like the tool. With the pocket clip installed, the file becomes a little bit more difficult to open. I suspect it will get easier as it loosens up a little with use.

In addition to the bit kit, you may want to get the bit extender as well. Adds to the flexibility.

Nice to see you on this forum. I remember you from BF, especially the Wilderness and Outdoor sub forum.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:10 AM
Hey Millhouse I remember you too from BF :cheers:   I don't hang out there anymore since I've learned that multitools are the only way to roll  :D

Bit extender, thanks for the tip, you wouldn't perhaps be one of those dreaded enablers, would you?  ;)

There is quite some overlap between the end of the clip and the tip of the file, looks like about a 1/16 of an inch would have to be removed from the clip to get the file to pass it by. No biggie, this baby has an awesome diamond file  :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:01:27 AM
Yehh I need to get a TTi as a user one day  :dd: :dd: :D :D. (I have a Xti & Ti ::) ::) :D :D).

Looks like you are working you way up through LMs product range nicely  :D :D.
A Surge , Supertool 300 & then a MUT next  :think: :P :D :D :D.

Glade you are liking your Charge mate  :D :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:48:35 PM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 03:32:57 AM
A Surge , Supertool 300 & then a MUT next  :think: :P :D :D :D.

Sheeez, talk about enablers >:(

:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 03:40:34 AM
Enablers R Us!  :D

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline stack

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 03:44:42 AM
     Hey, glad you like your new charge. It is on the top of my list of favorites. :tu:  And I have many favorites. :D

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:29:38 AM
I agree that the Charge/Wave line are great tools :D

It sounds odd that the pocket clip stops the file from opening.
My ChALX with the pocket clip has to problem with the file.
Could you maybe post a picture? Maybe you got a lemon...
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 12:03:33 PM
I said i would never get a full size Leatherman. Now i want to get a PST, ST300, Charge TTI etc etc. After that i think i will be bored though. I have no real interest in full size SOG's or Gerbers. Theres always plenty of SAK's to get though. :P

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 07:31:07 PM
My real camera is on the fritz, this is the best I could do with my cell phone  :(

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 10:02:42 PM
Does the file actually touch the clip. Mine passes by very close, but doesn't touch.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 10:53:33 PM
It touches, no amount of effort will get it to lift higher than shown in the blurry pictures. When I get a moment I'll file down the tip of the clip a bit and all should be well.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:56:18 PM
That's not right. Leatherman have a very good warranty should you wish to return it to them.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 11:18:03 PM
I'm guessing that the slot in the clip where the lock engages is off a tiny bit. I'll bet a replacement clip would fix it. But since all that's at risk in my attempt to fix it is just the clip, I'll give it a shot first.

I know Leatherman will take care of it if need be  :tu:

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 12:14:01 AM
The funny thing is, that you need to file it down because it won't let you use your file :P
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 01:17:14 PM
Yeah the TTi is probably my favourite tool for EDC around the house. The ST300 and Surge are for bigger jobs but the Charge handles pretty much everything on its own really well. Its also my choice for anything outdoorsy.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%