Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain Carry Decisions

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Keychain Carry Decisions
on: April 29, 2011, 10:36:22 AM
I’ve just taken a few minutes out of my continually escalating worldly chaos to ponder upon shiny things for a while. I’ve accrued a few little niceties for the keyring ... but now have the dilemma of determining which is going to be the chosen one ... or two ... or three.

Originally this thread was planned on being a head to head between these two chaps

Victorinox Alox Rambler and Wenger Brushed Stainless Pocket Tool Chest

For many moons I’ve been carrying two excellent little keychain buddies in the form of a Utilikey and a Spyderco Bug, which have served their purpose very well indeed but I reckon I’m due an upgrade. Utility wise, I am therefore looking to replace:

Knife
Small flat driver
Mini Phillips driver
Mini glasses screwdriver
Bottle opener

Aside from the larger of the small flat drivers – these have all been used. I’ve driven screws in spectacles, dial test indicators, and electronic gizmos. I’ve opened bills, beers and boxes. These two little fellers have been loyal companions, but they do have their limitations.

The Rambler is for sure a beautiful little item with a good set of tools. Knife, bottle opener, mini Phillips and small flat driver are there but small as the driver is, it won’t fix specs ... and I do wear specs. I do get scissors, nail file, and wire stripper/bender in the mix though. It’s a Vic too with all the quality that goes with it, and it’s as soothing to the eye as cranberry juice is to a urinary infection.

The PTC doesn’t quite have the looks of the Alox, but has a few extra tools and seems like it wouldn’t “spoil” as much being rattled about on a set of keys. Knife, small flat driver, mini driver (which DOES fit specs), and bottle opener are all there ... but I lose the mini Phillips unless you count the tip of the nail file. I gain scissors, nail file and wire stripper/bender as with the Rambler, but I also gain an awl with sewing eye and (should I ever want one – yeah right) a cuticle pusher. It’s a Wenger too, which means it has serrations on the scissors (whether you prefer those or not is a personal choice) with the better spring arrangement. It also does have soft backsprings however. All tools operate smoothly and precisely, but without that Victorinox snick when opening and closing which just screams “I’m perfect – fondle me”

As you would imagine, the 65mm six-pack in a brushed stainless overcoat does weigh noticeably more than it’s cousin which is a 58mm foursome in a textured aluminium tuxedo. Life on a keyring isn’t a delicate environment though, and though PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is provided to defend against all those keys and other offending articles clattering against the tools ... I can see those sheaths being nothing but trouble if used for anything other than keeping these items protected in a drawer.

However, the choices I have at my disposal don’t stop there. A Spyderco Bug or AG Russell Ultimate Penknife offer a much better cutting blade than any of the mini SAK’s. The slender Ti scaled AG Russell does offer the superior VG10 blade steel, whilst I can actually OHO a Bug when it’s fastened on a bunch of keys. The Vic Manager is effectively the Alox Rambler which loses the regal finery for it’s traditional overalls, but also has a pen and tweezers in it’s top pocket. Shilling clippers when liberated from their ridiculous sheath have tools akin to a Classic SD but with a pair of nail clippers thrown in too. The Utilikey, although as ergonomic as a penny-farthing without a seat, does provide a mini spectacle friendly driver and a mini Phillips in the same package. There are other options too ... but let’s not make any tougher than it already is.

Thickness, weight, utility, versatility all affect how my choice/s will pan out over time, but even with these few options it’s tricky to choose what should (if anything) evict the Utilikey and Bug from their time honoured place and assume the honour of Keychain Saviour.

Time to throw it open for discussion me thinks. I’ve got a pretty good idea what should work for me in theory and survive the rigours of time in domestic, engineering, and marine environments but I’ll let you guys chuck your thoughts in first.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Keychain Carry Decisions
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:00:25 PM
Lots of choices there mate, i went up and down with my key chain but always end up with just a classic and a small torch, oh and keys  :D  ive had too much at one point and always end up removing stuff,  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:30:12 PM
Personally, I found the blade on the Vic Rambler too much of a compromise.  I love the little drivers however, but as you say, they don't do eyeglasses.

My Alox Rambler sits on the sidelines now. On my keys, I carry just an Atwood (depending, currently a Poltergeist).  Then, I carry a real SAK in my pocket  (either Wenger S557, Alox Electrician with Scissors or Vic Cybertool 41 with Timekeeper scales--Cybertimer). 

I prefer the larger blade and scissors, but could be happy with the small scissors.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:28:36 PM
I have a Rambler on my keys as a backup tool really.

Always carry something else too - try some different combos for a week each and see which you find the most useful :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 04:35:06 PM
I have a Rambler on my keys as a backup tool really.

Always carry something else too - try some different combos for a week each and see which you find the most useful :)

Ah!  Well, at my office, I always have the imposing Wenger Business Tool! for back up.  With a WBT, one is always well covered.  :D

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 04:59:55 PM
For many years I carried a classic sd and have resumed that activity.  I recently realized, that the classic basically offers what my LM Style CS does (just with smaller scissors) while taking up much less space & weight. 

Separate to my key chain w/ carabiner, I carry a ITP A1 which is clipped to my pill container.
SAW

pl Offline maba

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:59:35 PM
Buy minitool - LM PS4 :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 07:32:34 PM
My usual key options are; LM Micra, Squirt P4, Squirt PS4 or Style CS, Vic Rambler or Ambassador.

Now the Ambassador gives you an excellent blade and good scissors but is very lacking in screwdrivers, moving up to an Executive doesn't really help with the specs issue. :-\

Any of the LM offerings will take care of loose spec screws however.  If screwdrivers are important to you then the Micra wins in my book, though sadly the blade is a long way from being one handed.

However I do digress, we're here to talk about your options. :D  Of your tools I'd be most likely to try carrying your Wenger, if you're finding it a bit chunky and heavy I'd still give it a go for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 07:44:24 PM
Ohhhh maaannnnn!!! I'd take them all!!!  8) 8)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 07:46:46 PM
I think the alox rambler is a very good choice.   :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 01:15:14 AM
Thanks for the great comments as always guys. To give a bit of feedback, the keychain carry is back up only. Bag carry is either a Swisstool CS Plus or Spirit RT. Pocket carry was a Deluxe Tinker (with Fenix PD20 & P7 clip) for several months, but I've just switched to a Wenger Motorist. I was sick of having to get the Swisstool out of the bag and load the corkscrew in order to open a bottle of wine, but I didn't want to lose the Phillips. This means I can carry a mini Vic driver too.

I've got a bad habit of leaving this rig at home, or on my office, or in the boat though, so having a back up has proved worthwhile many times.

i went up and down with my key chain but always end up with just a classic and a small torch
A Classic is a bit limited in function for me - but I really ought to add a Photon  :tu:

Personally, I found the blade on the Vic Rambler too much of a compromise. 
I can see what you mean. As a back up it might be enough, but neither of the mini Vics or Wenger instill much confidence for anything but the lightest chores. Then again I cant see me batonning through hardwoods with a Spyderco Bug  :D

try some different combos for a week each and see which you find the most useful :)
Good call, but if it's back up you really want to know it works too. I'm trying to get away from the days of having to fashion a mini driver with a paperclip hammer and steel handrail, or open bottles with a spade, or fix a split fingernail with my teeth :D

Buy minitool - LM PS4 :D
:rofl: Wondered how long it would take for somone to say buy something else to add even more options. To be honest a Squirt P4 was one of the other unlisted options, but I think it's a little big and the tool focus isn't right. For me the problem with the PS4 is they got rid of the wrong tools - the awl and mini driver were two of my most used tools when I (briefly) carried the P4 ... though I did fleetingly consider a Micra. However at that weight I'd probably be more tempted by my Wenger Traveller

Of your tools I'd be most likely to try carrying your Wenger
I'm thinking the same way to be honest, it's such a great set of tools. If it does get overbearing I could downsize to the Rambler later, and for the size and weight penalty it's not going to be any major detriment to leave the Utilikey on there for a while too

BTW - I have been scientifically testing some of the options this evening, and am happy to report the Rambler, Manager, and PTC all have way better bottle openers than the Utilikey   :tu::drink:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:38:38 AM by 50ft-trad »

Offline maximus0723

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:06 AM
Put your tools in order of importance.

I am currently going through same process and I end up choosing Vic Signature lite/Vic Midnite manager. Scissors and nail file were very important to me, followed by weight and size followed by utility of pen and light. I don't need can opener, bottle opener or cork screw b/c I am not drinker and not big on canned food.

Ask yourself how often do you use each of the specific tool you want in one week?
i.e. Cork screw=2x
Bottle opener=3x
Can opener=5x
Scissors=10x+
File=5x
Knife=10x+

This way you can give them importance. More the use the more important that function is to you.
Then ask, for the low priority things will you carry your other MTs and how will you feel in using them at those times?

Micra seems to be really good choice and so does Wenger traveller. But it seems you want something lighter weight and smaller size.

If you go with Rambler, you can try to make screwdriver at the end of nail file into eye spec flat head screwdriver. Try using dremel tool, sand paper, etc. I haven't tried but I can't think of why it won't work. I am gonna try it in near future. Also why not try using your MT knife to open up corks? I seen some videos with ppl doing it. Just a suggestion.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:00:34 AM
I am still at the keychain building stages, but i have some LM P4's comming to replace my PS4 as i cant stand the PS4 scissors, plus the PS4 has a very loose plier pivot. The only thing i really like is the ultra sharp blade, i cant believe how sharp they got that thing. Then the plan is to add a Vic Ramber to get me my decent scissors and small magnetic phillips which i like. Well im still toying with the idea of a manager, rally or midnight manager too. All i know is i would like a 58mm SAK and hopefully i will be happy with the P4 which doesn't have the scissors. I like the PS4 size, im not sure how it compares to the P4 though. I also have some SOG cross grips comming which are an unknown to me and maybe a better option than the LM P4, i really dont know yet. I also forgot to say that i plan to add a Spyderco Ladybug too.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:32 AM
I've gone for the Wenger PTC on it's own for a few days (no utilikey or mini knife), and it's not been to heavy or bulky at all really. Since I've been carrying it though, I've had a Deluxe Tinker clipped FL pocket with a Byrd Wings (pushed out Tuesday by a Wave) clipped FR pocket, so not actually used it.

I really need to go a while using tools in reverse order for a bit (using back ups first) to properly try it out .... but then I'm still trying out the Wave  :D

I am still at the keychain building stages, but i have some LM P4's comming to replace my PS4 as i cant stand the PS4 scissors, plus the PS4 has a very loose plier pivot. The only thing i really like is the ultra sharp blade, i cant believe how sharp they got that thing. Then the plan is to add a Vic Ramber to get me my decent scissors and small magnetic phillips which i like. Well im still toying with the idea of a manager, rally or midnight manager too. All i know is i would like a 58mm SAK and hopefully i will be happy with the P4 which doesn't have the scissors. I like the PS4 size, im not sure how it compares to the P4 though. I also have some SOG cross grips comming which are an unknown to me and maybe a better option than the LM P4, i really dont know yet. I also forgot to say that i plan to add a Spyderco Ladybug too.

Let us know how you get on  :tu:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:41 AM
slow process im afraid as my wallet cant keep up with the 'wants' list as fast as i would like :D

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 02:59:39 AM
This is just my two cents, but isn't the point of the Utilikey to blend in with your other keys? I don't think that it should make a noticeable difference to keep the Utilikey and then add either the Wenger or the Vic in place of the Bug. It seems the greatest shortcomings with the Vic and the Wenger (lack of, respectively, a eyeglass and phillips screwdriver) are both covered by the addition of the Utilikey. Since the Vic seems to be the cosmetic favorite, why not have the Utilikey and the Vic? Furthermore, since you save some weight and space with the Vic as opposed to the Wenger, you can choose to add the Bug or another dedicated folder for a better blade than is offered by the SAKs.

Hope this helps :)
[

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:36 AM
Thanks Viper, good point!

I'm now moving towards trying something out. I'm just waiting for a package to land from DX, which will allow me to be a little more flexible, though with far greater redundancy. I've realised I have a humongous amount of keys for various different things, but don't always carry everything all at the same time.

I'm going to break them all down into home, work, car, boat, boatyard etc and aim for getting a small blade, a bottle opener, a mini lighter, and a fauxton type light on each cluster so no matter where I am or which bunch I happen to be carrying, I'll have the basics. The truth is that all these are excellent little tools so it makes sense to split them all up and increase the chances of having access to one or another. I'm also going to be tagging a fauxton onto my most carried SAK's. I know it might seem like over kill, but I have been in situations where having several lights really saved the day.

The Alox Rambler is the exception though. That won't be going on a key chain, it will be paired with a shiny light from 4sevens for those lightweight days. The PTC, utilikey & manager will be split up between home, car and work keys as these are the most frequently carried (unfortunately  :P )

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:43 PM
I do this as have a seperate section of keys i use for work and take them off when not needed, although i havnt even got a torch on there at the mo as broke it  :D so ill sort that out before the winter as i use the torch in the shed when getting my bike out  :tu:

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:37 PM
On my keys I carry a vic mini champ. It is one of the best keyring knives imho. You have a lot of choice there so good luck figuring out which one to choose. :pok: :pok:  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%